• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Duck Hunt - How to use the cans

Chauzu

Smash Ace

Hopefully this video I made will clear up exactly how the can works and the potential it has. The closest thing to compare it to is Snake's C4.

Duck Hunt's can is a really unique projectile. Once thrown out it will hang around for 10-15 secs, and you are always free to shoot it with B to use it. You are also free to attack it to move it, and while in the air you can shoot again. You can also shoot it while moving - the same goes for the Side B, Clay Pigeon.

But basically as this video showcases the cans are great utility. You can use them with camping, you can use it to help with your approaches, you can let it be around to use for future combos. The potential is great and I'm looking forward to

I can't stress enough that the game has only been out a few days. There will be more better set-ups with the can that will also lead up to real combos in the future but you can't really expect that in a few days. There is also much potential to combine Duck Hunt's all three projectiles, which I will focus on exploring in the coming days. And I'm sure a lot of people are better at using them than me - and have found more set-ups - but just wanted to showcase a bit.

I'm a bit sad that I forgot to add the Can > U-tilt that sends it up into the air though, I'll make a short clip later.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Excellent. DHD is shaping up to be really good it seems. This is also a very helpful little tutorial, so thanks!

A bit off topic, but have you considered getting footage of DHD in For Glory matches? That would be a good way to really show what he's capable of.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I guess it is true that DHD is a clone of Snake. :troll:

The other day, someone said that Duck Hunt Dog could work as a Snake clone. Snake!
But it is good to see how versatile the can move is. I am pleased with the results. Now let's see how versatile the clay pigeons and the wild gunmen are.

Last edited:

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
DHD is the definition of a Zoning character it seems. I thought that would belong to Robin, but it was DHD all along.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
DHD is the definition of a Zoning character it seems. I thought that would belong to Robin, but it was DHD all along.
Well, yeah.... I and @KumaOso suggested long ago that DHD could work as a zoning character. He, at least, was open minded enough to see the moveset potential of DHD unlike the other "top posters" who said DHD was absolutely impossible.

WabbitSeason

Smash Cadet
So the can can be shot by the gunman while running? Can it be done while doing a smash or regular attack, jumping around, etc.?

In particular, where CAN'T it be used?

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
Man this is awsome stuff.
When I saw gameplay of him and his power how he actives. I somehow found out that duck hunt can, you know trigger its attack like snake did in brawl. But I didn't know that you can still the can with regulars attacks.

I want to know is the gunman can blocked projectile?

Chauzu

Smash Ace
So the can can be shot by the gunman while running? Can it be done while doing a smash or regular attack, jumping around, etc.?

In particular, where CAN'T it be used?
Well, it can't be used when inputting a command that uses another Special attack. I think that is the only limit.

So when shielding, when taking a hit, when doing a smash attack, you name it. I will also have video of this soon.

Man this is awsome stuff.
When I saw gameplay of him and his power how he actives. I somehow found out that duck hunt can, you know trigger its attack like snake did in brawl. But I didn't know that you can still the can with regulars attacks.

I want to know is the gunman can blocked projectile?
Yeah it can to some degree, but it's unreliable. It also depends on what projectile.

The Big Gunman that is a custom move is a good shield though.

btw, I'm now uploading my new Duck Hunt video about all projectiles and combining them etc. 10 minutes of goodiness!

Last edited:

Mr.Seven

Smash Journeyman
NNID
The_FPG
Excellent. DHD is shaping up to be really good it seems. This is also a very helpful little tutorial, so thanks!

A bit off topic, but have you considered getting footage of DHD in For Glory matches? That would be a good way to really show what he's capable of.
Not really a "For Glory" match, but this is some footage of Duck Hunt in a tournament setting. Control of the arena is key to success with Duck Hunt.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Loved that video... awesome seeing one of my Brawl mains (ROB) face against my #1 main DHD. So the key to win with DHD is use all my projectiles to control the stage.

MooseSmuggler

Linkle Linkle Little Star
NNID
MooseSmuggler
3DS FC
3368-1611-2687
Not really a "For Glory" match, but this is some footage of Duck Hunt in a tournament setting. Control of the arena is key to success with Duck Hunt.

Honestly, tournament setting is better xD I made that post before we started seeing a lot of tournament play.

Edit: I'm surprised no one has made a video thread yet. Both this match (which I'm about to watch) and the tutorial in the OP would be great additions

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I'm sure there will be more DHD videos once the 3DS version comes to the West.

Top Bottom