• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dual Maining: Puff + ?

Puff + Who?

• Total voters

Hot Toddy

Smash Cadet
I used to main Puff but never really looked in to matchups other than Fox, which ended in me losing to a Peach and I started to doubt myself so I switched mains. Now I'm thinking about switching back, but I want to dual main instead since I feel like I play better when I have more options. I was thinking of dual maining Puff and another top 8 character. I'll probably go with Fox or Falco but I'd love to here what you guys have to say. Thanks! :143:

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
yeah since my last post on the discussions page I've continued playing Falco
I'll probably go with Falco but I want to see other recommendations just in case
Honestly, Falco or Marth would fit the best with Sheik just barely working for perfect matchup coverage while still using Jigglypuff. Fox would work, but people have a tendency to play only Fox once they pick up Fox, and the ones that dual-main Fox haven't used in the past and still don't use Jigglypuff (nor Falcon, but still). I don't know, maybe you would be the first Fox Puff dual-main, and if so go for it! Otherwise, aside from the previously mentioned, Peach hates Puff to the point that she doesn't work with her. Lol, no, but Peach Puff generally doesn't work, and Falcon doesn't really complement Jigglypuff in this current metagame. Puff only is difficult to practice (just see only Hungrybox doing that at top level). However, really you should use who you like as well, and if you like the spacies and would like to use one of them as a Puff Spacie dual-main, go for it.

So yeah, for your case, probably Falco, although you would be one of the unique dual-mains of using Fox Puff or Falco Puff either way.

Zappdos

Smash Cadet
I like Marth because it gives you a useful tool when Fox puts you on FD/PS.

I think the Peach matchup is incredibly winnable and worth your while to just learn it better.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I'm probably going to be the only person who plays Bowser as a secondary

But I dual main Puff and Fox. It seems generally agreed that Falco is a better secondary, and I sort of agree, but Fox is just my preference. I haven't decided fully, but I think I'll be using him for my floaty MUs (I hate MUs like Puff Peach, I'd rather just go Fox)

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I'm probably going to be the only person who plays Bowser as a secondary

But I dual main Puff and Fox. It seems generally agreed that Falco is a better secondary, and I sort of agree, but Fox is just my preference. I haven't decided fully, but I think I'll be using him for my floaty MUs (I hate MUs like Puff Peach, I'd rather just go Fox)
Yeah, I was hoping your Bowser doesn't completely die, but I can see you using other characters. I thought you were going for Fox only with the "Triforce of Power" but I'm guessing Puff gave you something else fun to use?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Yeah, I was hoping your Bowser doesn't completely die, but I can see you using other characters. I thought you were going for Fox only with the "Triforce of Power" but I'm guessing Puff gave you something else fun to use?
Haha I've actually played Puff since I started playing Melee. I stopped for whatever reason for a few months, but recently started playing her again after finding that I still do extremely well with her. I'm going to try to play an equal amount of Fox and Puff.

Last edited:

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Haha I've actually played Puff since I started playing Melee. I stopped for whatever reason for a few months, but recently started playing her again after finding that I still do extremely well with her. I'm going to try to play an equal amount of Fox and Puff.
That's cool. I don't see enough Fox Puff dual mains since those are one of the Fox dual main combinations that is not used often (other upper echelon characters would be Fox Falcon and Fox Icies). I would love to see what you do with the combination.

Massive

Smash Champion
If you want to get good as quickly as possible you should only have one main.

Jigglypuff is also good enough that the only reason I could see to have a secondary is to avoid those annoying puff dittos (and maybe the fox matchup).

flmo

Smash Rookie
I really want a secondary in addition to puff for the ditto. I think if I put enough time into any character I could play them competently enough for them to be a solid secondary. I'm thinking Fox or Falco leaning towards Falco, but I could see even Marth or Falcon viably. Anyone have any input on this?

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
I really want a secondary in addition to puff for the ditto. I think if I put enough time into any character I could play them competently enough for them to be a solid secondary. I'm thinking Fox or Falco leaning towards Falco, but I could see even Marth or Falcon viably. Anyone have any input on this?
Personally, I say to play whoever you are the most comfortable with. All of those are great characters, but Fox would probably be best if it is primarily for the Puff MU.

flmo

Smash Rookie
Personally, I say to play whoever you are the most comfortable with. All of those are great characters, but Fox would probably be best if it is primarily for the Puff MU.
I agree, but I also think Falco's relatively lower apm requirement would make any switch mid tournament easier if I felt the need. Plus, I feel the Falco vs Puff MU is very underdeveloped for Falco, despite him having a lot of good tools for the MU, since most Falcos will switch to Fox against Puff, so I'm interested in maybe trying to develop and understand the MU a little better. But, since it would likely be only for the puff ditto, you probably are right

Top Bottom