• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DTILT EDGEGUARDING

Giraphe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1821-9946-0555
yo so I've been in the lab working on the best way to edgeguard spacies at low percents and I found out jigglypuffs dtilt sends the opponant downwards. So if a spacie is going of ledge you dtilt and on stadium , battlefield, and fd when then try to go high you can use wavedash back up tilt :) happy experimenting message me if you have more creative ideas to push the puff meta

Last edited:

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
If this is a new undiscovered thing, then I can see HBox using this a bit. I'd like to see this used more.

Crossie

Smash Apprentice
Nothing is a new, undiscovered thing. King advocated using d-tilt, though honestly puff has better options. Nair is better for catching side-b. If you're super confident they're going to up-b to the ledge, d-tilt might be okay, but you're usually better off holding ledge or throwing out a bair or something.

Massive

Smash Champion
Dtilt is not very good for ledgegaurding, here are some reasons why:
  • It does not have a low enough hitbox to prevent sweetspotted recoveries
  • The knockback is low, and therefore hitlag is low (that's probably the worst bit, actually)
  • it is a 39 frame action with no invulnerable frames (for reference, sheik's landing lag after recovery is 30 frames, this is longer than that... don't miss it!)
  • The hitbox is very short and only comes out on frames 10-12, making it a bit too slow to do on reaction (have to get a read).
There are some less popular edgeguarding tactics you can try if you want to be tricky/unique:
  • Utilt has a hitbox that goes below the stage and comes out on frame 8. It's still not super fast, but it covers a large area and is easy to combo
  • Ftilt (down) also goes below the stage and hits on frame 6, which is within the range of using on reaction. It sets up for a combo sometimes and will at least reset your ledgeguard.
  • Fsmash starts slow (frame 12) but lasts for 8 frames, making it a very long attack with high knockback. The larger frame window makes it more suitable for reads.
  • Dash attack comes out insanely fast (frame 4) and lasts 10 frames! It is super easy to do on reaction or as a read. Its major downside is that it lacks a disjoint so it frequently trades. It is very useful against characters who can't sweetspot well or are at a high %, however.
All that being said, dtilt IS useful for spacing related damage in neutral. It outranges a lot of grabs due to its disjoint, meaning you can sit there in crouch cancel and poke people reasonably easily. It's not always the best option, but it is an interesting choice in many circumstances.

Last edited:

Giraphe

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1821-9946-0555
I know it doesnt cover sweet spots but it covers almost every non sweet spotted recovery option of the viable characters and since it sends the opponent at a downwards angle ( works on non sweat spotted fox and falco , peach, falcon, ganon, and luigi its not as good of an option to rely on it but as a mix up it works very well and if they other player drops to sweet spot you can ftilti downanlge which covers ledge

Massive

Smash Champion
I know it doesnt cover sweet spots but it covers almost every non sweet spotted recovery option of the viable characters and since it sends the opponent at a downwards angle ( works on non sweat spotted fox and falco , peach, falcon, ganon, and luigi its not as good of an option to rely on it but as a mix up it works very well and if they other player drops to sweet spot you can ftilti downanlge which covers ledge
Again, the knockback on dtilt is low. Low knockback moves have low hitstun, which means your opponent can start their recovery again pretty fast after they get hit, sometimes even before you're out of lag from doing dtilt.

The low hitstun is really what makes it a bad choice, IMO.

Top Bottom