• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dthrow to rest. worth it?

Kick

Smash Apprentice
I was fooling around on training mode trying new rest combos on fox and came across one that might be interesting.

This is for high percentage, I tried at 70%, but can go as low as 45%(perhaps more, but my fingers are too slow) Dthrow>WD>rest. basically dthrow sends them a little up and forward. WD under them and rest before they hit the ground.

There is also a harder version (again to 45%, perhaps lower) where you meet the fox at the peak of the throw and rest there.

I havent done this against an opponent actively trying to escape, so im not sure how DI and recovery time will play. could someone check this out?

technomancer

Smash Champion
You can Uthrow to rest up until like 100% (I think), and if they're at high% like that, you can probably just Dthrow -> forward smash them. Probably better against opponents that DI, but I haven't looked into it, so I dunno.

Raves

Smash Apprentice
theres a vid where magus shows that the uthrow rest can combo til like 100+

dthrow-> rest = very easy to di = hard to land the rest.

Kick

Smash Apprentice
yeah i saw the magus vid, but that had no DI either. plus the Dthrow>rest is much faster allowing for less time to DI. Besides no one will use the 100+ uthrow rest in a tourney and get away with it. I was thinking Dthrow might be tourney worthy. so i guess my real question is to a pro. what is you opinion of Dthrow>midair/WD>rest

doyoung2win

Smash Ace
doesnt matter, gives them a hell lot more time to di. think of how fast jiggs upthrows vs downthrows, the reason upthrow is better because if done quickly enough then it wont give the opponent much of a chance to di and you can rest them.

highandmightyjoe

Smash Ace
All rest combos are very dependant on the character. There are very few lead ins to rest that work on every character. I find down throw somewhat useful on FastFallers, but even on them it isn't incredibly reliable. But then it never hurts to try.

Aero

Smash Journeyman
simply put, dthrow to rest on fox and falco doesn't work unless your opponent is clueless since DI happens at the throw, not when they are in the air. sure, they can sort of DI your uthrow after they have been in the air for awhile, but you should've landed rest by then.

against semifastfallers like shiek, it doesn't hurt to try, though. they might be clueless and decide not to DI. it's not like you can do much better with jiggly's throws.

Raves

Smash Apprentice
this is sorta of off in a tangent, but.. i heard somewhere you can dthrow>rest shiek @ like %40 and they can't di out(well, they can di, mayb just not far enough?) of it or something along those lines, is it true?

Top Bottom