• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Drop Cancel

F-ric

Smash Cadet
So I've been screwing around with this technique that I've rarely seen used competitively, the drop cancelled Nair. http://youtu.be/GAbIFo8FKKE A short video of me doing it then of a combo that incorporates it. This technique is extremely difficult to consistently hit though I am becoming much better at it. I'm bringing this up here because of how little it is used and how useful it can be. This can be used to start combos from jab resets, tech-chases etc.; (following this up is extremely easy) it can be used nicely with jab immediately beforehand for pressure and comboing. You can waveland into it and it even combos into itself if your opponent DI's poorly. There hasn't been a thread that fully explored this technique; which I figure has to be the most beneficial to Luigi, due to the high combo potential of his Nair. This move takes around 12 frames between cooldown and start up, which is much better than his smashes and tilts as an attack.

F-ric

Smash Cadet
See also:
This was one of the only other things I could find on it and I feel like this is something that can at least add something to the Luigi meta game as it is an extremely effective attack just situational as it only works on platforms obviously.

Soupeschleg

Smash Journeyman
Really only something I'd do if you're out there cookin on your opponent. It's better in my opinion to just drop through the platform with nair so you're in a safer position in case something goes awry, but you're still close enough to follow up or punish their response.

badangadang

Smash Apprentice
I call it the standing nair. It's good to reverse pressure, and impressive if you hit someone's shield with it followed by grab.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I found a new video of Abate where he makes use of it http://youtu.be/u3hZ5P3oX3k?t=2m28s. It's definitely a nice option and I like how no one even knew what it was.
I'm necroing old topics because i feel like being a **** and explaining that this is called a platform cancel.
http://youtu.be/ORiX3B9aiaE?t=1m7s

this video was uploaded in '07.
it's been a technique for a long time...

also if you didn't know, it autocancels because of how quickly you land, so there is no end lag.
on a platform, shielddrop->platformcancel nair is your fastest, and best, OoS option.
at low->mid percent (character dependent) it will combo into a grab.

Last edited:

ELStalky

Smash Apprentice
I'm necroing old topics because i feel like being a **** and explaining that this is called a platform cancel.
I would not call it platform cancel and think that drop cancel is far more appropriate, especially since it is specific to dropping through (and you need to hit someone, so maybe the term should even be extended to "drop hit cancel").

The term "platform cancel" has always been the cancel from below a platform for me and the handful of people i play with. With Luigi you can do that kind of cancel with n-air and still get the hitbox out. If you play Yoshi you end up doing that kind of platform cancel all the time, and it's a major pain because you usually will not get the hit and just end up standing on the platform like an idiot.

Last edited:

F-ric

Smash Cadet
http://youtu.be/ORiX3B9aiaE?t=1m7s

this video was uploaded in '07.
it's been a technique for a long time...

also if you didn't know, it autocancels because of how quickly you land, so there is no end lag.
on a platform, shielddrop->platformcancel nair is your fastest, and best, OoS option.
at low->mid percent (character dependent) it will combo into a grab.

I understand it's been a technique for a long time, however I rarely if ever see it used by any character (Sheik can do this too so it's not only low tiers) and figured a forum about Luigi's specific meta game in Melee (clearly a thriving and active place) could utilize a more detailed exploration of a very heavily underused and underdeveloped tactic. This is further cemented by Luigi's amazing combo ability out of Nair, which most characters would find much harder to follow up.

Also I call it Drop Cancel because the smash wiki calls it that http://www.ssbwiki.com/Drop_cancel, and platform cancel can refer to any aerial cancelled by the platform and prevents confusion by making it clear this only applies to platform drop cancelled aerials.

Also Luigi's Nair at least when drop cancelled can be L-cancelled and has normal aerial landing lag, which means it isn't actually autocancelled.

Last edited:

F-ric

Smash Cadet
Really only something I'd do if you're out there cookin on your opponent. It's better in my opinion to just drop through the platform with nair so you're in a safer position in case something goes awry, but you're still close enough to follow up or punish their response.

Actually I would do it either way. If they block it and you L-cancel you will still be safe. If you land the hit, obviously you'll be safe. And if you whiff, you'll do a platform drop Nair anyway so I don't think it really changes anything and due to Luigi's slow falling speed is actually safer to land it than the drop Nair as they could just shield drop aerial while your falling with Nair.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
I would not call it platform cancel and think that drop cancel is far more appropriate, especially since it is specific to dropping through (and you need to hit someone, so maybe the term should even be extended to "drop hit cancel").

The term "platform cancel" has always been the cancel from below a platform for me and the handful of people i play with. With Luigi you can do that kind of cancel with n-air and still get the hitbox out. If you play Yoshi you end up doing that kind of platform cancel all the time, and it's a major pain because you usually will not get the hit and just end up standing on the platform like an idiot.
yeah... that's a platform cancel. you can't platform cancel without another hurtbox being there.
you're thinking of the brawl definition of a platform cancel, which wasn't coined until waaay later.

I understand it's been a technique for a long time, however I rarely if ever see it used by any character (Sheik can do this too so it's not only low tiers) and figured a forum about Luigi's specific meta game in Melee (clearly a thriving and active place) could utilize a more detailed exploration of a very heavily underused and underdeveloped tactic. This is further cemented by Luigi's amazing combo ability out of Nair, which most characters would find much harder to follow up.

Also I call it Drop Cancel because the smash wiki calls it that http://www.ssbwiki.com/Drop_cancel, and platform cancel can refer to any aerial cancelled by the platform and prevents confusion by making it clear this only applies to platform drop cancelled aerials.

Also Luigi's Nair at least when drop cancelled can be L-cancelled and has normal aerial landing lag, which means it isn't actually autocancelled.
uuuuhm a lot of characters use platform cancels... specifically sheik and spacies. It's excellent with luigi, but that doesn't make it some kind of new technique.
Also the smash wiki is a joke and always has been, I don't know anybody who has been in the scene for a significant period of time who references it for anything.

Top Bottom