• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dreams of Creating stages!

TrillyTroy

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys, I've posted in a few of these threads so I'm sure a few of you have seen me or know a little of who I am already. Anyway, I see a whole bunch of awesome stages here on the boards and in the vault, especially by hope4newday and the infamous mewtwo2000, and it has inspired me to learn to make my own custom stages too. Is there anyone here that can teach me or point me in the direction to learning how to do so? Keep in mind that I would be COMPLETELY new to this, and I have no prior knowledge of stage hacking. If anyone does decide to help me, please be specific as possible so that I will understand my instructions. Thanks alot in advance everyone!!

P.S: Mewtwo2000 I really hope you post here, I would love to learn everything that I can from you...

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Hi there!

Well, making stages isn't something one can teach in just a minute, you have to be used to the Brawlbox program, as well as other tools like 3D Studio Max.

This would be the basics:

- Stage files are stored in /stage/melee in the Brawl disc
- They're in .pac files with names like STGFINAL.pac, STGBATTLEFIELD.pac...
- One can open the stage files with Brawlbox.
- If you open a stage with Brawlbox, most times you'll see 3 blue folders. You have to expand the second one, and you'll find some red folders inside. The ones called modeldatas contain stage models and animations. In most cases, there will only be one model, and only one animation of each kind. There's different kinds of animations, like model animations, texture animations, color animations or visibility animations. All of those can be created and edited with Brawlbox. Model files are in the mdl0 format. Brawlbox can build mdl0 files from .dae files, and you can generate those with 3D Studio Max.
- There's a specific modeldata, usually modeldata 100, that has a model only with bones, and those control the boundaries, character spawn points, camera limits, etc. No extra models can be placed in that one.
- There's a modeldata, usually modeldata 101, that has a model only with bones, that's related to the pokemon trainer and the way he moves. You can add animations and models in this modeldata flawlessly most times.
- There's a miscdata in blue, usually miscdata 2, that contains the information related to collisions. You can draw how the collisions in the stage are in 2D. You can attach some of the collisions to actual models and bones to move those collisions, that's made by selecting a character and bone and clicking the '+' button.
- There's an item called STPM that controls values like the direction of character shadows, camera speed, fixed camera, pause camera, ice climbers final smash position, and many others. That item is miscdata 10 most times.
- There's a texturedata where all the textures are placed. However, one can add as many texturedatas as needed if FileId is -1 and FileIndex is progressive. One can even place textures inside the modeldatas, but models will only read textures from their own modeldata, or a texturedata. So, a model in modeldata 1 won't be able to read a texture that's inside modeldata 2.
- There's a scenedata, with the info about the lighting and fogs inside.
- Characters use light 20 in stages. Stage files can use any other light, even the character light. Sometimes it's interesting to have a different lighting for different elements in a stage.
- Materials in models can be either affected or unaffected by lighting. Sometimes it's interesting to colorize the model itself and make it not use the lighting in the stage. Most times models will have an overall grey (128,128,128) vertex color and will be affected by light id's 0, 1 or even 2.
- Character shadows use a special kind of material that draws a black transparent shadow on the surface of the model. A copy of the ground with a material swap usually works for this.
- You can't add as modeldatas as you like. Well, you can, but each stage loads an exact number of modeldatas, so If you have a modeldata twice, only the first one will be read. I use this sometimes to make alternate versions. Swapping a modeldata can change completely a stage.
- If a stage lacks a modeldata it needs, it will freeze. But it won't freeze if it finds more modeldatas than needed. It will just ignore them.
- A modeldata cannot be empty of models. If there's no model and the modeldata is needed, it will freeze as if there was no modeldata.
- You can use lots of modeldatas with only a small non-polygonal model inside to make stages compatible with multiple slots.
- Final Destination is a good option to make stages, you can place models in modeldatas 1, 2, and 101.
- Many stages use modeldatas 1, 2 and 101 too, so adding modeldatas with no visual information will increase the compatibility of a stage that's compatible with Final Destination by default.

Well, this is all I got in mind about stages right now. Get used to Brawlbox, it's easy to use and one can do many things with it. Once you know how to work with it, make your models and import them into Brawlbox, and you'll get the most custom stages possible.

Guel

Smash Journeyman
Question. If a stage shows up and its playable but everything is black whats the problem? Can move and run around but everything is black.

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
If it's playable but it's just black, it usually means that the modeldatas are found (that's why it doesn't freeze) but the ones with the actual stage models aren't loaded by that stage file. That's what happens, for example, if you try to open a final destination stage over temple. Temple loads modeldatas 0, 100 and 101. Final Destination loads modeldatas 1,2 and 101. If you have a multicompatible stage with modeldatas 0, 1, 2, 100 and 101, and the actual stage model is placed in modeldata 1 for example, it will work over temple, but it will be black. To make a stage visible for both final destination and temple, the only way is placing models in modeldata 101, which is common. This one doesn't allow moving collisions though, the animation should be in both modeldatas 0 and 1 (or 2) in order to have a multicompatible stage in the most efficient way. An unefficient way would be having the stage models twice, one in modeldata 0 and another in modeldata 1 (or 2). That would make the stage file bigger, but it would work too if the filesize doesn't get too big.

SmashBroski

Smash Ace
NNID
BookerDewott
3DS FC
1907-9072-8026
I have a question as well, has stage hacking reached a point where hazards can be edited?

I have two scenarios I'm wondering can be tweaked and I'll be using Spear Pillar as an example.

1. Is it possible to omit certain hazards yet keep other features? So can I make it so Palkia still appears and disappears and not produce any stage mirroring effects?

2. Can the damage and knockback of hazards be modified?

Also, is there a way to install the 3.0 camera perfectly for non 3.0 stages for say, vBrawl Luigi's Mansion or New Pork City for instance?

Last edited:

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
Only a few aspects of hazards can be edited. For example, if a hazard is related to a model, and the model is removed, sometimes the hazard just doesn't happen, while the rest of the hazards in the stage still work. About damage and knockback, rel editing changes those values, there was a post talking about this somewhere. If it's something like negating some of the particular effects in a stage, it may be something in the rel file too, but I don't know of anybody that has removed mirroring/tilting in Spear Pillar while keeping the lasers.

For the 3.0 camera, there's some specific values in the STPM (or miscdata 10) in the stages that have to be copied over. I don't remember the specific values now, but I'm sure a quick comparison between the vBrawl and Project M versions of a stage will tell you.

Sempai

Smash Ace
1. On the hazard note, how would you remove the water collision, Or i guess making the water do nothing, as only an image. EX: you dont fall in and flail around, you fall straight to your death.

2. Idk If im looking in the right file/place, how would I remove a platform graphic altogether. Is there a certain file that contains these images or is it random. (I did manage to remove the collision). At the same token is there a way to remove pieces of an object without removing the whole thing? EX: On the wingcap stage on brawlvault, the bricks interfere with the camera and its hard to see, i want to remove the ones in the front but that just removes the castle...

3. Is there any way to modify the stage, simply, to make the blast zone smaller/ the stage smaller/decrease the ceiling so it doesnt take an upsmash at 150% to kill? Is this a camera/bones issue[dont really know what Im talking about here]

Closing
-My goal is taking stages that are made very well and are cool to look at and play on, and turn them into competitive if there not already. I play competitive so its a real shame when I see a great stage I want to download and play on and there are problems like: Its too big{blast zones], theres water, its a runoff stage, the stage "pineapples" really hard because the platform is really thin(exactly like melee battlefield).

*I would never edit and repost(anything) for any personal gain or any other reason, and if I ever did I would get the creators word before doing so*

Thx in advance guys. :D

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
The water collision, at least in the Jungle Japes and Pirate Ship stages, is just a value in the STDT or miscdata20 inside the stage. You can change how high water is, so you can leave visible water, but it's not real water. I don't know of a way to make water not swimmable (aka melee water).

Platforms and everything in a stage is placed inside folders in the stage file. If the platform you want to remove is a single model, you can remove it directly (well, replace it with an invisible model to not leave the folder empty of models), and if it's part of a bigger model, sometimes you can control it with a bone (just scale it to 0), and if it's not the case, you can always edit the vertices in brawlbox, or even export the model, remove the actual platform and re-import again. If it's a separate object, you can find the object and remove it without removing the entire stage, and sometimes if it uses a specific material/set of materials, you can just make the materials invisible to make the platform itself invisible.

Blast zones are controlled by the position of certain bones of a certain model in a certain folder, called modeldata 100 in most stages. I've posted some info about it in the big post up there, take a look to it. Changing those values, you can change the actual limits of camera and death, and other things like spawn points.

Zilby

Smash Cadet
Is there a place that goes into even greater detail on how to make stages? (I too am very new to this)

Mewtwo_2000

Smash Lord
NNID
Mewtwo2ooo
3DS FC
0877-0152-2009
The kc-mm forums have some threads explaining several things about making stages. Go check them :rolleyes:

Top Bottom