• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Dragonic Reverse" -- Yoshi Can Wavedash!

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
@BS: You can try doing either X X A, or X L A/C-stick, where L is set as jump.

@yoshiunity: CC is what I use. Set L to atk, and slide your thumb, pressing X Y L/C-stick.

I'll update my description with explanation on what I believe is the best for each controller. Check on it at about 6 pm EST.
Cool thanks man. Guess it means so long l-jumping... but scarifices must be made. That left button will help me good. (Lefty) let's see what I can do. *cracks knuckles.* ... ow.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Okay, so check this out.

I've been practicing this mainly with my old control scheme since I like it a lot and don't really want to switch.

However, last night at a smashfest, Df00z and I were trying this out and I have just one thing to say:

This tech is ******** good.

We can both get it almost 100% now, but we don't really slide. Df00z is easily the best tech learner I've seen in a while; I practiced the friggin thing almost for an hour and he picks it up in ten minutes WTF so good.

</3 Df00z.

<3 Dragon Dance a.k.a DR a.k.a. Dragonic Reverse yeayuhzzzzzzzzz

Blistering Speed

Smash Champion
Are you tap jumping or not? And when you say you don't really slide, do you mean you can only do it on the spot atm? Because for the minute that's all I can do

Also, considering I have a ******** third party controller, the only way I can perform DR with it would either be to press the same jump button twice, or have tap jump on. Im considering learning to not rising U Air and U Tilt so I can have my DR :p

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: I have tap jump on for the easy way to do it.

We can both change directions and do it while going forward, but we just aren't tilting enough during the actual jumps to get the slide. It'll probably take us a day or two before we can get it down 100%. Then we get to try it in matches! :D

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
So here's a quick question... is it more important to have tap jump on for DR, or off for off-the-edge egg throwing?

Chaco

Never Logs In
You can do bot, Les has mastered ECE's with it on, and I have mastered DR with it on. You can do both, but it's harder for ECE's and easier for DR.

yoshiunity

Smash Apprentice
NNID
YoshiUnity
Yikes. I'm sliding my thumb to hit the Xand Y buttons, but it only seems to register the first jump. Am I doing it too fast?

Chaco

Never Logs In
after you get the short hop cancel thing how do you use it to slide and stuff?
Once you get the DJC down, initiate it into a dash and once you do the DJC you should slide and then input the attack. Well quickly, don't pause.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
Once you get the DJC down, initiate it into a dash and once you do the DJC you should slide and then input the attack. Well quickly, don't pause.
when you say "initiate into the dash" what do you mean? my bro mains yoshi and he has the DJC down, but he cant incorporate the slide. Do you dash then djc or the other way around?

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: And now, for something completely different.

[15:35] Df00z: lol im practicing the yoshi
[15:35] Me: You better.
[15:35] Df00z: double up jump instead of l up
[15:35] Me: Double up?
[15:35] Me: Wow.
[15:35] Df00z: i really want my l trigger for shield
[15:35] Me: Ah.
[15:40] Df00z: for serious though, thanks for the idea of using the triggers
[15:41] Me: No problem.
[15:41] Df00z: now i can at least see how its done..didnt understand it till i did it myself
[16:02] Df00z: do you have your wii
[16:02] Me: Nope, Rich took it home for the summer.
[16:02] Df00z: ah that sucks...
[16:02] Df00z: the best i can do w/ that thing you showed me is instant stop...rarely does it slide...granted i can be like full out running into the dtilt...and the dtilt has rediculous range
[16:02] Df00z: which is usefull..
[16:03] Me: Yes.
[16:03] Me: Try tilting the stick as you're inputting the double up jumps.
[16:03] Df00z: there, it wavedashed...lol thanks
[16:03] Me: LIOL!
[16:03] Me: sadiasodj
[16:04] Df00z: i was trying that at tne end -_-
[16:04] Df00z: need to do it at the beginning
[16:05] Me: Yeah.
[16:12] Df00z: ok...so i can move across the level with it back and forth now...the question is how fast can it be done
[16:12] Me: Well, if you're doing it in normal speed, chances are you're doing it as fast as you can, LOL.
[16:13] Me: You mean in repetition?
[16:13] Df00z: yah
[16:13] Me: Oh.
[16:13] Me: Hang on a sec.
[16:14] Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8x1ErhiwP4
[16:14] Me: That's the fastest I've seen it done.
[16:14] Df00z: im talking using it for sole means of moving
[16:14] Me: I would imagine it's as fast as you want it to be, though, since there's no landing lag.
[16:14] Df00z: lol
[16:14] Df00z: right
[16:14] Df00z: holy ****
[16:14] Df00z: theres no limit
[16:14] Me: LOL!
[16:14] Me: LOL
[16:14] Me: LOLOL
[16:15] Df00z: listen i miss wavedashing
[16:15] Me: Hahahaha!
[16:15] Me: Truuuu faxxxx
[16:15] Df00z: thats like all i did with g&w and luigi
[16:15] Df00z: lol whattt
[16:24] Df00z: meh i wish i had my composite video cord
[16:24] Df00z: id capture this ****
[16:25] Df00z: LOL
[16:25] Df00z: dude really you can use this for moving
[16:25] Df00z: im like doing it 3 times a second when i get going
[16:25] Df00z: its like infinite foxtrot
[16:25] Me: You're so gay.
[16:25] Df00z: WHY
[16:26] Me: I'm pretty sure you're King Gaylord of Gaybania.
[16:26] Df00z: LOL this looks so funny
[16:26] Me: LOL
[16:26] Df00z: he looks like hes ****ing ice skating
[16:26] Me: Yoshi's too good, yo.
[16:27] Df00z: hahahah
[16:27] Df00z: and you can buffer the neutral b
[16:27] Df00z: this is luigi all over again sliding all over nonstop grabs
[16:27] Df00z: thats not even a grab
[16:27] Df00z: doesnt even matter
[16:28] Me: LOL!
[16:28] Me: You're so excited!
[16:28] Me: Your Yoshi is officially better than mine, by the way.
[16:28] Me: I just thought I'd let you know that.
[16:28] Df00z: hahaha
[16:28] Me: WAY TO STOP ME FROM BEING BEST MAIN IN THE COUNTRY JERKASS
[16:29] Df00z: more like the only main
[16:29] Me: LOL!
[16:29] Me: Foiled again! Eff you, sir.
[16:30] Df00z: gg
[16:30] Me: Okay, I'm going to get ready and head to Arena.
[16:30] Me: I'll talk to you later, sir.
[16:31] Df00z: cool, peace then
[16:32] Me: Yup, later.

You young'uns better keep up or old man Df00z is gonna Dragon Dance all ova yo ****!

But seriously, we should really see how much we can milk this. It seems pretty effing amazing.

bigman40

Smash Master
I already got some vids of me doing this. I probably won't use it as a means of walking across the map, but you should be able to do it as fast as walking.

Also, LOLLOLLOL @ the chat.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: So after messing with this some more, I'd have to say this has moved beyond a staple tactic.

This is honestly too good to ignore. Anyone looking to improve their ground traction and spacing really needs to hop on this quick, fast, and in a hurry.

da K.I.D.

Smash Hero
I Swear to God, dude, if you dont pull this out at the next tourney, i will shoot you, kill you, and spamm you to alllllll hell, and i will NEVER let you forget it

Mac Matrix

Smash Cadet
You guys post too much over the weekend. o_O

On Topic

So I spent about an hour yesterday practicing this. Safe to say I can do it in 1/4 and I can do it most of the time in 1/2.

But on 1x I just -cannot- do it. At all. Whether it's just my control stick (as my pad is a good 8 years old) or me being slow, or worse - I'm probably not doing it right.

I have tapjump on (as I'm old-school. lol). I also attempted to practice it via using the L trigger as a jump button too but didn't get any further as I can't get the timing down using the trigger.

So (with this information) can someone suggest the order I should be pressing the buttons to jump and doublejump? Basically I need to understand the order and timing in order to get it right.

I don't remember that video Bigman posted telling the best method of initiating the jump - doublejump - attack order, which is why I ask.

I hate being so noob to techs. But this tech is too good to pass up on.

Jump_Man

Smash Apprentice
Mac matrix, you need to set Tap jump on, and have L set to jump. Tilt Up on the control stick, press L, and tilt the C-Stick in any direction all at the same time to do a DR.

To get that big slide in, try holding the control stick diagonally at the beginning when you have to tilt the control stick. This should get you a good slide.

If you need any more help, just send me a message

btw, I managed to DR across Final Destination and almost managed to DR all the way back. I can pull this off on the spot now :p

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
Ever since L-canceling, I haven't kicked the habit of using L for everything.

So changing it to jump is kind of brutal. And R... well, that button might as well not exist for me.

Depster

Smash Champion
same, I had to switch to cc, but now its possible for me and I've done some great things against people with it

Mac Matrix

Smash Cadet
Mac matrix, you need to set Tap jump on, and have L set to jump. Tilt Up on the control stick, press L, and tilt the C-Stick in any direction all at the same time to do a DR.

To get that big slide in, try holding the control stick diagonally at the beginning when you have to tilt the control stick. This should get you a good slide.

If you need any more help, just send me a message

btw, I managed to DR across Final Destination and almost managed to DR all the way back. I can pull this off on the spot now :p
Yeah.

I've always had Tap Jump on (edge hanging and throwing eggs is easier..) and I set the L trigger to jump yesterday in order to get myself used to using R for shielding.

Like Scarlet... I've got a bad habit of using the L trigger for trying to shield because of L-cancelling in Melee, and need to kick that.

Btw.. this is the big problem. I use a very old GameCube control pad. I need to buy a new control pad as both shoulder triggers are wasted from wavedashing, L-cancelling... and playing F-Zero GX. The question I'm getting to is.. should I go get a new GC pad, or should I get a Classic Controller?

PRiDE

Smash Lord
I may be just about the only Yoshi user to say this but I just feel like until I see viable proof that this tech helps improves Yoshi's game in serious tourney matches then I refuse to master and incorporate it. A lot of times you can get the same result with a reverse pivot smash... not to be a Debby Downer or anything .. =D Just SHOW me the USE against GOOD players...

Kiwikomix

Smash Ace
^^ Or with a stutter-stepped smash.
Really, this tech has never seemed that useful to me since it only gives you slightly more distance, but I can see it being useful to stop opponents with a tilt. I haven't really seen any examples of that, though... mostly it's just used for smashes.

Scarlet Jile

Smash Lord
NNID
ScarletJile
You just say that 'cause you don't want to spend 5 hours practicing it!

Annnnd, I don't blame you, haha. It's cool and all, and ****, I'll learn everything I can, but I place it below super-jump on the useful-scale.

PRiDE

Smash Lord
hey i spent weeks doing it, and i can do it on cue with tap jump on. but i am not gonna spend weeks trying to do it with tap jump off. it took me long enough to get egg slide tosses down with tap jump off lol.

bigman40

Smash Master
K then. I'll be the one to show you. Granted, I still am trying to get it to move nearly as fluid as melee could with wavedashing (I love it too much), but If I don't get people to see it's uses, then I'm sure someone else will. If you want to play me, AIM me (but at either 3pm-5pm EST or 9pm-11pm EST).

rel_12

Smash Apprentice
I may be just about the only Yoshi user to say this but I just feel like until I see viable proof that this tech helps improves Yoshi's game in serious tourney matches then I refuse to master and incorporate it. A lot of times you can get the same result with a reverse pivot smash... not to be a Debby Downer or anything .. =D Just SHOW me the USE against GOOD players...
Agreed! ^-^ Thats why I'm not even Bothering with this at all. Unless I see some good use of it.

Shiri

Smash Chump
:yoshi: Bigman, race to see who makes this the most useful first? XD

The loser has to admit that they have fat fingers!! :O

D

Deleted member

Im not bothering wiht it because im too busy eating doritos. Dorito johns ftw.

Top Bottom