• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Mario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
Though it may be disappointing to some people, including myself, I have a strong feeling that Dr. Mario will return simply as an alternate costume for Mario. It's a slap in the face to Melee players, but that is more than likely the way it will roll out.
Well that's how I want it to turn out, so no disappointments there.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I would be happy with Dr. Mario as alternate costume in the same style as they have it in Project M.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
If I followed correct. This new customizable feature, makes it so that Mario's fireball could be faster or bigger. Could this also mean we can change the "Fireball" into Pills? And with other features we could transform Mario's "Stats" into the likes of Dr.Mario's from Melee? And most likley Dr.Mario would be Mario's Alternate costume... So could this mean the confirm of Dr.Mario???

D

Deleted member

Each character gets 3 versions of their Special attacks (note: JUST Specials). The regular versions, and two variations of the moves.
The exceptions are the Mii Fighters and Palutena, who have different attacks altogether instead of variations.

We know Mario's variations:

Standard Special:
1. Fireball (regular)
2. Fast Fireball
3. Fire Orb

Side Special:
1. Cape (regular)
2. Shocking Cape
3. Gust Cape

Up Special:
1. Super Jump Punch (regular)
2. Super Jump
3. Explosive Punch

Down Special:
1. F.L.U.D.D. (regular)
2. Scalding F.L.U.D.D.
3. High-Pressure F.L.U.D.D.

You can't turn Fireballs into Megavitamins. You can't give Mario's attacks the properties of Dr. Mario.

As for the Equipment feature, they are directly tied into three categories: Attack, Defense, Speed.
You equip up to three items to your customized character that give boosts in one category while lowering another.
I'll use Mario as an example.
You can equip him with the Max Power Gloves, which boost Mario's Attack stats, but lowers his Defense stats.

Some Equipment will have bonus abilities to them.
Example: You can equip Mario with the High-Speed Dash Shoes, which boost Mario's Speed stats, but lowers his Attack stats, and gives him a high-speed Dash on top of the regular boost in Speed.

However, you cannot change Mario's properties into Dr. Mario's.

So no, the Custom Feature means absolutely zilch for Dr. Mario.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
Thanks for explaining. It seems much clearer now. But I must be honest. A waste of oppertunity for not doing so, when you first implant the costumization that is.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Will Sakurai do DLC? It would be a very smart thing to do but Nintendo is not known for doing smart stuff lately. That resides in the Sony camp.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Pretty much this ^. I'm fine with just the labcoat and the PH.D accessories clinical stethoscope for a alternate palette swap. That or DLC even if Dr. Mario is clone-like, which had no problem with back in Melee but after 10+ years of more clone-like features it gets old.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
I got a question about Dr. Mario, is he shown to be a seperate entity from Mario canonically?
Or is it just Mario in a doctor suit?
The latter.

Which is why I hate the idea of him coming back, and I mained the guy in Melee.

Making Dr. Mario unique is meh to me, so even doing that wouldn't excite me. If we want a doctor character in Smash, I'd rather have Dr. Stewart from F-Zero. But even then I'd rather have Samurai Goroh or Black Shadow before him.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
So.... with Lucina opening the door for clones - I actually think Doc will be back now, and not as a costume.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Lucina seems to open the door for other clones with small differences to make it in (Toon Link isn't a clone in my view). However we have to consider that Lucina is fairly popular and holds a lot of weight right now due to the recency and success of Awakening. I don't think Doc's (or Pichu's for that matter) chances increased one bit. I still find them both highly unlikely.

This is potentially a win for the Brawl 'clones', however.

Last edited:

Xigger

Smash Lord
Asides from current events... if Dr. Mario is a costume, he'll probably have his pills as a replacement over his fireballs, but with the same properties as the fireball. I want my special move customization for a giant Dr. Mario pill. OPEN WIDE

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Asides from current events... if Dr. Mario is a costume, he'll probably have his pills as a replacement over his fireballs, but with the same properties as the fireball. I want my special move customization for a giant Dr. Mario pill. OPEN WIDE
What if he throws a whole jar of pills at opponents?

Tikivoy

Smashing idol~
Switch FC
SW-4447-4606-8984
According to the newest Famitsu, Lucina was originally planned as a Marth alternate costume, but upgraded to a full character because of different characteristics such as height.
So maybe Dr. Mario still has a chance as a full fighter because Sakurai's reason in Melee was that he should throw pills instead of fireballs...unless they fully change his attacks into Fire Pills. Regardless of that, I'm sure Sakurai considered, at least at one point, Dr. Mario returning in some form, so we should see how it goes.

Lucina seems to open the door for other clones with small differences to make it in (Toon Link isn't a clone in my view). However we have to consider that Lucina is fairly popular and holds a lot of weight right now due to the recency and success of Awakening. I don't think Doc's (or Pichu's for that matter) chances increased one bit. I still find them both highly unlikely.

This is potentially a win for the Brawl 'clones', however.
That said, this is also true. Dr. Mario mostly has Melee going on for him, but not much elsewhere.

D

Deleted member

I got a question about Dr. Mario, is he shown to be a seperate entity from Mario canonically?
Actually, it's implied that plumber Mario and Dr. Mario don't exist within the same universe.

Essentially, they are universal counterparts.

EdgeTheLucas

Smash Lord
Actually, it's implied that plumber Mario and Dr. Mario don't exist within the same universe.

That's stretching it--in the same interview you got that from, Miyamoto didn't imply that--only that Dr. Mario is not canon, like all the other Mario spin-offs. He singled out Dr. Mario as an example, not an exception to, the idea of non mainline Super Mario Bros. games being seen as little more than side activities for the plumber.

Shin F.

Smash Master
Canon?

Mario has a canon?
:troll:

No, but really, Shigeru Miyamoto never said they were alternate universe counterparts or anything. I do know he said he imagines the cast as being a troupe of actors who can be placed into many situations, but that Mario was definitely a blue-collar worker and that the Dr. Mario we know may not be quite legitimate. To me, this implies that Dr. Mario is a character that Mario plays in one of his acts, and thus, they could be considered both the same (in that they are played by the exact same "actor") and not, as they are two different roles that Mario the Actor places himself in.

Last edited:

Sour Supreme

サイマグネット

Miyamoto has also neglected to address the fact that certain characters have the exact same name as the species to which they belong. That guy's standards are jank, Nintendo canon is like saying an apple is a banana. Clearly that doesn't make sense, but they'll tell you it's true anyway.

D

Deleted member

Miyamoto has also neglected to address the fact that certain characters have the exact same name as the species to which they belong. That guy's standards are jank, Nintendo canon is like saying an apple is a banana. Clearly that doesn't make sense, but they'll tell you it's true anyway.
If you're talking about Toad, the whole "Toad named Toad" thing has gotten way out of hand due to all of the inconsistencies between the fan **** (which was where the concept actually came from; there in reality is no major Toad named "Toad", but that's a discussion for a different thread) to the point that every major Toad that shows up now is "Toad", except when they're not (i.e. Captain Toad was "Toad" to people when Galaxy and Galaxy 2 came out, but once 3D World came out, now the blue Toad is "Toad" instead of "Blue Toad" from the NSMB games and Captain Toad is someone else. :rolleyes:).

That's stretching it--in the same interview you got that from, Miyamoto didn't imply that--only that Dr. Mario is not canon, like all the other Mario spin-offs. He singled out Dr. Mario as an example, not an exception to, the idea of non mainline Super Mario Bros. games being seen as little more than side activities for the plumber.
It's more than just the interview. It's the Dr. Mario franchise itself.
Dr. Mario is supposed to be this guy that's working day and night to develop miracle cures (with the cure for the common cold being elusive) and wipe out infectious viruses, yet has time to work part-time as a plumber and save Princess Peach on a regular basis? And host extracurricular activities?
And speaking of Peach, she's supposed to be right by Dr. Mario's side the whole time as a nurse? How is she able do that and govern her kingdom (though admittedly she's kind of terrible at that...)?

And don't get me started on Wario's involvement in the franchise. No, Wario's not the problem. It's that Dr. Mario's world is filled with enemies from Wario Land 3, including it's antagonist, Rudy the Clown. Except....all of those enemies are from the Music Box World, and weren't enemies at all, let alone Rudy's minions. They were the citizens of the world transformed into monsters by Rudy as a last act of defiance before they sealed him away. They only went after Wario to stop him from reviving Rudy. And Rudy himself? He's supposed to be larger than life. He was the background in his fight with Wario.

In Dr. Mario 64, he's freaking puny!

And apparently has a mountainous jugular.
But the worst part of this is....Rudy is supposed to be dead. Wario killed him! And it's not like when Mario "kills" Bowser whenever they fight; Rudy was Killed Off for Real, just like many other of Wario's foes. Why is he alive? And why is he outside the Music Box World?

And then there's the fact that swallowing Megavitamins apparently has the same effect as grabbing a Metal Cap (Mario) and being bitten by bats (Wario), but I'm not going to delve into that too much.

To top it off, unlike other side Mario series, barely anything from Dr. Mario is featured in other Mario titles. Only the Virus enemies in two of the Mario & Luigi RPGs, and they're not microscopic and have to be killed by pills, they're Goomba-sized.
As well as special Virus items in the Mario Kart Arcade GP titles that are based off of the Viruses (specifically the Blue Virus).

You can use the "it's not canon" excuse, but that only means it's not canon to the Mario franchise. Dr. Mario is a franchise all of its own. It's not just one game, it's FIVE (not counting things like the GB Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario & Tetris, Vs. Dr. Mario, Dr. Mario & Puzzle League, etc.), though the last game starred Dr. Luigi instead.
It has its own canon. It's own universe. An alternate universe where Mario is a doctor, not a plumber.

Steelia

Smash Champion
Echoing what others have said above, I have revitalized hope for Doc after Lucina's reveal (and the reasoning for her inclusion). Sakurai's gone on record saying it wouldn't feel right to see Doc *not* shoot his pills; if he were a Mario alt, he'd be throwing fireballs for sure. Unlike Project M, alts in Smash 4 have been completely identical to their original counterparts, save for voices. I truly do believe Doc's pills & his playable appearance in SSBM is enough to re-grant him a roster spot again.

Plus, I seriously doubt he'd look good with Fludd; he could be granted the old hurricane spin down-B. Any character without Fludd gets a 99% boost in coolness. :awesome:

Last edited:

LunarDistortion

Lord of the Nigelchu's
NNID
Lunar_Distortion
3DS FC
4639-9294-0127
Switch FC
SW-4041-3028-0448
I personally think he'll be nothing more than an alt, which is fine. I think the F.L.U.D.D will look fine on him, and it wouldn't take very long to re-skin the fireballs into pills.

Morbi

Scavenger
I believe that if Dr. Mario is in the game, it is as anything other than an alternative costume. I eagerly await his inevitable return.

D

Deleted member

How can you say "if" and "inevitable" in the same description?
Wouldn't "if" imply there's an alternative option, and thus it isn't "inevitable" as though it were the only option? :troll:

But yes, I agree. At this point, it's character or nothing. The pessimism in me points towards nothing, though.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
I agree with both of you - playable or bust.

An alternate costume wouldn't work. Dr. Mario using fireballs and FLUDD would be off. If they did put in the extra effort to change his fire balls into pills then that would simply make him playable with his own slot. Lucina is proof that subtle differences from the original counterpart is enough to make you your own entity. The fireballs being changed into pills isn't exactly a small change especially by simply changing the attire to obtain it.

I still don't expect him back, but I'd say he's 2nd behind Mewtwo from the fallen Melee characters likely to come back, simply because it is possible that Doc was planned as a costume but got his own slot ala Lucina...I just think that is highly unlikely. I don't see Sakurai planning, nevermind using a veteran as a costume.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Dr. Mario, I felt was the 3rd most likely to return out of the cut Melee vets.
Then Lucina came into the picture, leaving the idea of Roy coming back to be highly questionable.
Now Dr. Mario is the 2nd.

That being said, I see only Mewtwo actually having a strong chance of returning, and Dr. Mario being planned as low-priority roster padding like in both Melee and Brawl.

SchAlternate

Smash Master
NNID
SchAlternate
Switch FC
SW-4691-2422-5427
Then again, alts are still plausible, so while I'd liked his playstyle better than Mario in Melee and seeing he could have some potential in reworking his moveset, I feel he's more fit to be an alternate costume...

I mean, that's what he is, really. Mario in doctor garb.

D

Deleted member

So....Dr. Mario chucking Fireballs and using F.L.U.D.D.?

D

Deleted member

Replace the fireballs with pills and FLUDD with a huge needle strapped to his back and you're set to go. :troll:
Doesn't work unless the pills have the exact same properties as the Fireballs (flame damage included). But I'm sure your just kidding around now hence the trollface.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Dr. Mario shouldn't be playable in Smash because that goes against the Hippocratic Oath he took as a doctor!

Last edited:

ThatLunaticFeline

Smash Journeyman
I love Doc, he's a really fun character in Melee, but I only see him coming in alt. costume form for Mario. I'd say that if any other clone would be added from the Mario series and they were a hidden character, I think it'd more likely be Bowser Jr. than the doc (cause I'm highly doubting 2 Mario clones now, with the current level of originality in place) and even then Wario should be higher up than any clone character.

D

Deleted member

Well, honestly, since fire is just a visual effect, it wouldn't really matter if they modify that, right?

I mean I'm just sayin'.
It's not just visual effect. Properties of the flame effect include:
-Thawing frozen characters.
-Causing Blast Boxes to detonate instantly.
-No damage to Red Pikmin.
-Increase the size and strength of a Hot Head.

As well as dealing less knockback to Squirtle and dealing more to Ivysaur, but well....that doesn't mean anything for Smash 4 unless Greninja has Squirtle's resistance to fire attacks and someone like Sceptile gets in and has Ivysaur's weakness to fire attacks.

Take that away from Dr. Mario's Megavitamins for a costume, and it causes some changes that can affect matches differently than if the player picked the standard Mario costume.
And then there's the electric F-Smash, which, as it replaces the flame effect, also causes those changes aside from the Hot Head since electric attacks also affect it, and it switches which type of Pikmin are immune (Yellow instead of Red). The electric effect also multiplies freeze frames of an attack on an opponent by an extra percentile than other effects.

Last edited by a moderator:

Strider_Bond00J

Smash Champion
Switch FC
SW-2525-8699-9095
I'm against the idea of having a character like Dr. Mario :drmario:as an alternate costume for Mario in Smash 4:4mario: but with things going as they are now, it looks like we'll never see him as his own character again unless he turns out to get Lucina's special treatment. True, he was a rather unnecessary character, but he's still a lot of fun to play as; I especially love his black costume.

Dr. Mario shouldn't be playable in Smash because that goes against the Hippocratic Oath he took as a doctor!

But what about Medic? He goes against the Hippocratic Oath, and shoots syringes into people and heals people... and leaves pigeons in people's chests.

D

Deleted member

Well, Medic comes from a place during a period where the Hippocratic Oath was merely a Hippocratic Suggestion. An optional one at that. :awesome:
(Yes I totally ripped that off of TVTropes)

Last edited by a moderator:

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
People say that fireballs and the FLUDD would look weird on Doc.

Ganondorf using Captain falcon's moves doesn't look right either. I don't see how Doc using those abilities is that strange.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom