• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Dr. Mario Social Thread - Witches? Dragons?...I've seen worse walk into my office.

ChaosDanny

Smash Rookie
NNID
RetroG1259
Oh man so many good styles and moments with Doc. I once did a 50% combo near the edge and finished off with a f air. Also, getting hard reads with Doc is awesome. Smash attacks and everything.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
One of the best moments i had was vs a friend of mine who mains Falcon.
Both of us were down to 1 Stock, he had slight lead with 30% on Doc.
I got 15% off my pills thanks to Zoning then found an opportunity to grab him, then the party began:
DownThrow -> UpSmash, Falcon doesn't jump, i regrab.
DownThrow -> UpAir -> Nair -> Downtilt, still able to link my moves quite decently as Falcon tries to answer with an aerial rather than DI Away, lack of MU Knowledge surely.
DownThrow -> UpAir, at this point, he might just want to get back to the stage safely, so as i excepted, he airdodge toward me, but as a response to that option, i decide to jump then Fair, got the sweetspot.
He's far offstage and doesn't have that much option, basically, a free cape, which is exactly what happened, and i ended up winning the game :>

Last edited:

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Hey, that's a good philosophy... If we're going to be positive, then, what are the best moments all of you have had with your Medical Licenses?

I caped a Mewtwo's Shadow Ball, got killed by one in return, and at the end won from a match of tennis. It was glorious.
Yeah I agree it's a great mindset to have. Usually that's what I try to focus on.

I triple caped my brother of the stage once haha that was hilarious. Absolutely denied.

And I recovered by accidentally footstooling once or twice which is funny because of Doc's recovery obviously.

Of course the feeling of hitting up B and Fair kills is one of the best feelings I get out of a character as well, and I do that every day.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Oh and back when I used to play on for glory I killed a falcon with a mixture of capes and accidental footstools, then finished with a disrespectful pill that I didn't even need to throw out

Last edited:

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
You know what would be a sick setup? What if they lessened the landing lag on dair, so that when you land the finishing hit you could combo into UpB? I feel like a buff like that alone would be great for moving Doc up, especially since dair is already a good answer to shield camping.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
You know what would be a sick setup? What if they lessened the landing lag on dair, so that when you land the finishing hit you could combo into UpB? I feel like a buff like that alone would be great for moving Doc up, especially since dair is already a good answer to shield camping.
That would be great. But idk if Doc's speed will always make that a possible setup. I would assume it'd work though.

Doc already needs to be moved up on the tier list though. The only thing stopping that right now is us, pretty much. Where's our proof showing that he's already viable without being buffed? Not that it's not there, but the majority of the community isn't seeing it.

KenMeister

Smash Lord
NNID
KenMeister
3DS FC
3609-1224-8364
That would be great. But idk if Doc's speed will always make that a possible setup. I would assume it'd work though.

Doc already needs to be moved up on the tier list though. The only thing stopping that right now is us, pretty much. Where's our proof showing that he's already viable without being buffed? Not that it's not there, but the majority of the community isn't seeing it.
No, he really isn't that great, trust me. Devoted mains like myself and @TTTTTsd who have played him longer than any other character can pretty much tell you right off the bat that his mobility hurts him more than you think. If he at least had passable ground mobility, he'd be dead middle, possibly higher, easily.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Well, it wouldn't make sense if he was better, he had to work for that medical degree and he's going to have to work to keep it.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
No, he really isn't that great, trust me. Devoted mains like myself and @TTTTTsd who have played him longer than any other character can pretty much tell you right off the bat that his mobility hurts him more than you think. If he at least had passable ground mobility, he'd be dead middle, possibly higher, easily.
I've mained Doc since the beginning as well, and his speed can be a problem on occasion, I do understand that. Maybe we have different points of view on this, but look at the rest of Doc. He has early kills, a decent combo game, nearly identical frame data to Mario (I said nearly, yes he has some more frames on a few moves). I do get that his recovery is worse and he's slower, but Falco is considered mid-tier at the moment and he has both of those things.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Besides that, he's just fun to play as. Sure, that may not make him viable, but I'd be more encouraged to learn him than Mario because almost everyone knows how their own Mario plays by now. That doesn't make him worse than Doc, because he is a pretty fundamental character in the first place and he can't be blamed for that. I think it's a matter of preference.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Hello Docs.
Just mentioning that if you use the Custom Old One Two, DownThrow to UpB is a possible combo that is guarranted on a bunch of characters, and kills at the likes of 60%, i don't have the exact number of charas it works on, but ik that, for example, it works on ZSS, and kills her at 55%.

MintyBreeze

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0361-8437-7637
Hello Docs.
Just mentioning that if you use the Custom Old One Two, DownThrow to UpB is a possible combo that is guarranted on a bunch of characters, and kills at the likes of 60%, i don't have the exact number of charas it works on, but ik that, for example, it works on ZSS, and kills her at 55%.
Well, I know what I'm doing to my friend next time we play.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Personally, getting 60% can be done quite easily with Doc to me.
Dtilt, Usmash at low% setups for regrab, UpAir strings leads to a regrab as well.
All of these things allow Doc to extend its combos with relative ease, which is pretty nice.
It might not work sometimes, but some stuff is worth trying ( I'm a bit more into Melee Doc, so i'm a bit on the offensive side rather than defensive side in Smash 4, even through obviously more defensive than in Melee due to Shieldstun, Dodges & Rolls, and other details, i don't like limiting myself to guarranted stuff )
Also, the fact that ppl don't know how to fight Doc & will sometimes use their experience vs Mario to fight us helps a lot, as the 1st part of my combos is usually grounded, as opposed to Mario combos ( Aside from UpTilt strings )

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
The Kutthroats have set out to draw their character thanking Iwata for all he has done.

We invite you to do the same.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Does have trouble with Sheik as Dr Mario, cause I did. I have problems dealing with speed, my appoarches barely work thanks to those neddies even with fox trot and dance trot, stopping her fairs and dealing with her combos. I know she has trouble killing, but its just not enough for me since I have trouble killing because of Dr Mario's speed.

TheBlueSpirit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thebiuespirit
3DS FC
5086-3271-7834
Does have trouble with Sheik as Dr Mario, cause I did. I have problems dealing with speed, my appoarches barely work thanks to those neddies even with fox trot and dance trot, stopping her fairs and dealing with her combos. I know she has trouble killing, but its just not enough for me since I have trouble killing because of Dr Mario's speed.
I honestly haven't played many Sheiks, but her needles are a crazy camping tool so approaching her can be difficult. And speed can be a problem of course. Sheik for the most part can run circles around Doc so that is not a surprise if it is destroying you. When I start having trouble against Fox's speed, I try to reset the situation as much as possible and play patiently. Make the most out of punishes and any combo chance you get. Doc has kill decent ways of finding kills, so as long as you play patiently and don't commit at the wrong time killing shouldn't be too bad. Sorry I don't have much experience in the matchup, but if speed is your biggest issue then patience is probably the best solution I can think of.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
I honestly haven't played many Sheiks, but her needles are a crazy camping tool so approaching her can be difficult. And speed can be a problem of course. Sheik for the most part can run circles around Doc so that is not a surprise if it is destroying you. When I start having trouble against Fox's speed, I try to reset the situation as much as possible and play patiently. Make the most out of punishes and any combo chance you get. Doc has kill decent ways of finding kills, so as long as you play patiently and don't commit at the wrong time killing shouldn't be too bad. Sorry I don't have much experience in the matchup, but if speed is your biggest issue then patience is probably the best solution I can think of.
Ok, I'll try to play patience if I can. Still a hard matchup thanks to those needles and her speed.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Sheik is probably one of the most troublesome characters to fight as Doc. Needles camp hurts us a lot due to our rather poor mobility. Anyway, from my experience, Sheik won't retreat very often and if one of her moves is shielded, chances that she goes for an other offensive option. Knowing that, you can throw Tornados out of shield as they have the priority over some of sheik's move, through don't make yourself too predictable as always.
As always, try to get the most out of your grabs. Sheik is a relatively light character, so killing her is definitly not too troublesome. Be careful about coming back on stage, she has a dominance over us & can gimp us, but if you do the right option at the right time, you can avoid a gimp ( Airdodge if you see aerial needles coming, they are rather telegraphed, Tornado has priority over some of Sheik moves )
For stages, Smashville or Dreamland/Battlefield are the best options, Needle Camp is an absolute pain on FD & Omegas, T&C is decent i guess. As for counterpicks, i don't like most of them, the low ceiling of Halberd, Delfino is alright & changes of field can save you, same goes to Skyloft, Duck Hunt is not good, and i barely ever go to Castle Siege in my own matches so my experience with this stage is limited.
Hope that helped

ZeroSnipist

Smash Apprentice
Hey Dr.Mario players! We from the Ryu boards are making a doubles thread. The purpose of the thread is to find the best partner for Ryu. I'm going to invite as many people I can at once and get discussions going on all at once. We invite you to our dojo and hope you could help us discuss Dr.Mario and Ryu in doubles. Thank you in advance!

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
This is really underrated on both Doc and Mario, but moreso on Doc. Crouch -> U-tilt (best with tilt stick). When you consider that half the reason Ness is any good is because he's ridiculously small, it's really worthwhile to abuse crouching on Doc to limit your opponent's spacing options, especially since Doc has some incredibly good whiff punish options.

Crouching also helps you perfect shield aerials, given your opponent has to commit more usually to space on a crouch.

Last edited:

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Hello Docs.
Was it close to the ledge? If so, then I'm alittle to see how that combo works and as a kill set-up.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
No
I'll try to as soon as possible
It's much like Dthrow to Fair, but strict timing
No rush. Take as much time as you need.
Too bad that set up doesn't work anymore like it did melee. Ever tried one jab to super jump punch? It only works on floaty characters like Kirby and kills on the ledge.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
No

No rush. Take as much time as you need.
Too bad that set up doesn't work anymore like it did melee. Ever tried one jab to super jump punch? It only works on floaty characters like Kirby and kills on the ledge.
Nope, i'm quite the Tornado/Fair user on ledge:
- Tornado beats most getups except jump getup
- Fair beats jump getup

The idea is to force them into Jump Getup & catch a kill.
I'll try Jab -> UpB through, it seems interesting, i'll take any mixups.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Nope, i'm quite the Tornado/Fair user on ledge:
- Tornado beats most getups except jump getup
- Fair beats jump getup

The idea is to force them into Jump Getup & catch a kill.
I'll try Jab -> UpB through, it seems interesting, i'll take any mixups.
Well, I got those already, but thanks for the advice.

Ok. Remember, same as the jab 1 and 2 to jump punch set up, but floaty characters only since the first has less knockback than the second one.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Well, I had trouble with a Peach player today. I tried to shut down her floating game with Oos up smash and pills, but they barely work and he spaces out his d-air well enough to avoid my up smash. I also got destroyed off stage since she's good at edgeguarding Doc along with her air game as I tried with a short hop dropkick.

MistressRemilia

Smash Journeyman
Well, I had trouble with a Peach player today. I tried to shut down her floating game with Oos up smash and pills, but they barely work and he spaces out his d-air well enough to avoid my up smash. I also got destroyed off stage since she's good at edgeguarding Doc along with her air game as I tried with a short hop dropkick.
In this matchup, i usually do a lot of bair spacing as its very safe vs a floating Peach.
Also, Tornado catches Floating Peach as well, and it wins some trade with some of her moves.
Play very patiently, Peach's main combo starters are kind of telegraphed.
Like most charas, don't let her take you too far offstage, even through Tornado can win vs Bair edgeguard, it's still quite a guarranted gimp as Peach.

Top Bottom