• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Lobe for Smash 4: How Big is Your Brain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

a smart guy

Smash Journeyman

Image courtesy of Elemental-Aura

Dr. Lobe is the main character of 2 Nintendo video games: Big Brain Academy, and Big Brain Academy Wii Degree. He also appears in the Big Brain Academy Board Game. He is the headmaster of the academy, and will chat with the player before he/she trains their brain.

Moveset
Dr. Lobe is always pictured on a scale as shown here:
Big Brain Academy.png

I propose a moveset that takes advantage of this.

Lobe's weight is variable. He starts out being medium, but his special moves change this. His weight is always indicated by the arrow on his scale. The farther it moves clockwise, the heavier Lobe is.

Neutral B: Brain Test
A pentagram appears around Dr. Lobe. Moving the control-stick makes red area come out from the Doctor which whacks opponents. This move also increases Lobe's weight. This is inspired by the final recap section of Brain Test.

Side B: Practice Toss
Lobe uses his brain power to toss objects at other characters. It can be charged up for more power, but Lobe loses weight as it does so. The objects are as follows, with the first being the weakest, and the last being the heaviest:
  1. Balloons (Inspired by Number Pop on the Wii)
  2. Coins (Inspired by Coin-parison in the DS version)
  3. Various Animals (Several minigames in the DS version)
  4. Blocks (I forgot the name of this minigame but it's on the Wii)
Up B: Pathfinder
The player draws a line using the control stick, which Lobe rides on his scale. The length of the Line corresponds to Lobe's weight (He has better recovery when he is lighter) This is inspired by the Pathfinder minigame in the DS version.

Down B: Heavyweight
Lobe drops a scale on the floor. To perform this move correctly, Lobe must be on one side of it (which happens automatically if he is on the ground), and his opponent should be on the other end (again, this is automatic if they are both on the ground next to each other) If Lobe is lighter than his opponent, he is sent backwards into the air. If Lobe is heavier, his opponent is the one sent flying with high knockback. This is inspired by the Heavyweight minigame on the DS version.

Final Smash: Brain Power
Dr. Lobe's huge brain falls from the sky, dealing massive damage to any people under it. Inspired by the Wii Degree result screen.

Counter Arguments:
I don't like his design; he's a disgusting brown blob. Okay, I understand where you are coming from. I think this link shows what happened. In the original game, all of the characters were drawn in a childlike fashion. Dr. Lobe's design looked good in this style, and personally, I like this design better.

Unfortunately, Wii Degree was created to make extensive use of Miis. They wouldn't work with the hand-drawn style of the original, so Dr. Lobe was given a redesign. His model wasn't meant to be in this new style, and it made him look like a brown blob. It's unfortunate, and if he is put in smash, I would love to see either his old design, or some sort of hybrid design.

We don't need an educational character. Even though we may look back on educational games like Brain Age and BBA (the Big Brain Academy series) as a fad, they were still extremely popular. Big Brain Academy sold 5 million copies worldwide, and Brain Age sold 19 million. Because of those sales numbers, some representation of the educational genre seems appropriate.

Dr. Kawashima (the mascot of Brain Age) should get in before this guy. There's a reason why Dr. Lobe had a sticker in Brawl, and why Kawashima didn't. Sakurai would have to ask Kawashima if he wanted to be in Smash Bros. The rights to his floating head are a grey area, especially since Kawashima has appeared on other consoles. Furthermore, Lobe has a better character design for smash, although I must admit a floating head would be unique. If Kawashima doesn't get in, Lobe would be a fitting tribute. Brain Age and BBA are sister series; their games released only months apart for each other. Brain Age was designed around a sophisticated single-player experience; BBA was designed around a multi-player kid-friendly experience. Dr. Lobe has never appeared on a non-Nintendo system, so he can be considered a Nintendo all-star. Because Dr. Kawashima has some drawbacks, Dr. Lobe would be the perfect Nintendo all-star to represent the educational genre.

Join the Academy today (Supporter List)
a smart guy
Sobreviviente
Tepig2000
fogbadge
Brickbuild101
KingShadow
Basty

Last edited:

Leafeon523

Smash Ace
NNID
Leafeon523
3DS FC
2466-1607-7000
I can't say I'm a supporter of him being playable, but I think he could make a really interesting AT. Yet I'm guessing he will merely retain his sticker status from brawl.

Tepig2000

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2938-8785-9936
I edited the post with some counter-arguments. Let me know what you think!
They are really good. But the first two arguments aren't even valid at all. "I don't like his design; he's a disgusting brown blob" and "We don't need an educational character" aren't even valid arguments in the first place.

Also, you're making me like this character. I think I'll support. Feel free to add me to the list.

His sales last gen give him similar chances to the Wii Fit Trainer, imo. His body shape makes me wonder how he'll move in Smash, but R.O.B. also lacked legs and they did wonders there.

Edit: Nevermind my remark about sales; I'm pretty sure I mixed up Big Brain Academy with Brain Age. :teeth:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom