• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

8-Bit Brawler

Smash Rookie
Rush trapping is a high risk / high reward technique that you can use when your opponent is up in the air towards the top of the screen.

What you do is as you are approaching the opponent from underneath, you use rush right as you are below the other person. The other person will then inadvertently hit rush coil as well and fly up above you. At this point your opponent and probably you as well will both be off the screen. By the time the other person is at the peak of their jump you hit them with an Up Air which is pretty much an instant KO regardless of % because of how high up you are.

It's very situational and is best used to catch people off guard. The reason I say it is high risk is because a lot of people start to panic when they fly off the screen and just start hitting buttons. It is possible if you don't get the timing just right that the technique will backfire and the other person will KO you with a neutral air or something like that.

It's definitely a fun technique tho.
ha that does sound awesome. thanks for the detailed reply.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I have been thinking about doing a personal highlight video that showcases my growth as a player. (Once I feel like I have enough flashy combos, I am thinking of doing this.)

I guess another questions would be is would you be interested in a community highlight video? This will feature some of the communities sickest plays and set ups from our Mega Man players. What kind of Mega Man players would you like to see featured in this highlight video? Which players do you think are best fit for it? I would prefer tournament clips over For Glory/Friendlies videos . (Unless they are like the sickest thing I have every seen)

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I'd just put any and all great plays in the video. I'll have to post some of my videos in here whenever I manage to get over 10 posts...

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I have been thinking about doing a personal highlight video that showcases my growth as a player. (Once I feel like I have enough flashy combos, I am thinking of doing this.)

I guess another questions would be is would you be interested in a community highlight video? This will feature some of the communities sickest plays and set ups from our Mega Man players. What kind of Mega Man players would you like to see featured in this highlight video? Which players do you think are best fit for it? I would prefer tournament clips over For Glory/Friendlies videos . (Unless they are like the sickest thing I have every seen)
I'm relatively new to the scene so I don't know if it's been done before, but a community video sounds like a really cool idea.

I think it would be awesome to see highlights of different players with different play styles and techniques. It would really showcase all the different ways you can play as Mega Man effectively.

Personally I wouldn't really mind if it had FG matches because some of the most impressive KOs and combos that I've seen on this board have come from FG matches. However, tournament matches are usually higher quality (most of us submitting videos are just uploading from our phones so the quality isn't great) so I could see why you would want to primarily use tournament matches.

Either way, I'd watch it for sure.

Last edited:

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet

I really like the idea of doing something like this, it may be very fun to watch, give new players (like me) ideas of how to play better with megaman, and shut up every single ignorant complaining "megaman isn't that good" "He needs buffs" and blah blah blah...

As for the title (if this will be a new threat) it could be -roboenza related- because of the "sickness" of the videos. ( .-. )

I think the best players for this are You, Z1GMA, Fenrir vii, and stylesX2 (as far as I know)

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
I really like the idea of doing something like this, it may be very fun to watch, give new players (like me) ideas of how to play better with megaman, and shut up every single ignorant complaining "megaman isn't that good" "He needs buffs" and blah blah blah...

As for the title (if this will be a new threat) it could be -roboenza related- because of the "sickness" of the videos. ( .-. )

I think the best players for this are You, Z1GMA, Fenrir vii, and stylesX2 (as far as I know)
Ninja Link, Zucco, Daiki, ZIGMA and Chillin are probably the best Mega Man's right now. (ZIGMA for nailing those metal blade to Up-Tilt setups) I don't think I even come close.

This is based on who I have seen video wise. There might be someone new who will blow my mind one day. (At least I hope so!)

Personally I wouldn't really mind if it had FG matches because some of the most impressive KOs and combos that I've seen on this board have come from FG matches.
That was originally mentioned that FG kills that are really nice will be showcased as well. Pretty much tournament matches are more meaningful than friendlies so I look to really showcase that. However, I honestly agree with you that really nice For Glory kills should be given proper credit as well!

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I've been working on my metal blade into up tilt as well as z dropping metal blade as an edge guarding tactic and in this video I pull them both off. I actually would have got the up tilt combo multiple times but I accidentally up smashed once and F smashed another time. Regardless, I'm already feeling more comfortable with it and I'm really starting to see the possibilities opening up.

:4megaman:Vs:4falcon: http://youtu.be/Z1JA7j058JU

Critiques are welcome!

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
Well that falcon player wasn't very good to put it nicely so you were never actually challenged in any way. As far as accidentally pushing the wrong button combinations goes that's all on you which goes without saying.

It's just, watching you 2 stock a notably worse player (or at least their falcon anyway) says little about your ability to adapt to a competent opponent that makes you pay for your mistakes and forces you to think on your feet. The loses. Those are where weakness in play style and bad habits are easier to spot in hindsight.

It's less to do with an individual match's errors like you didn't utilize Leaf Shield enough/at all or you shielded too much and more with your overall tendencies when faced with certain situations. That's not something one can garner from a single video. Especially when it's a fight with a noticeable gap in general skill and character familiarity.

Also on a somewhat unrelated note, get a capture card. In fact, this goes to everyone in this thread who wants to capture video game footage to share with others. Stop pointing your cameras at your TV or even worse your 3DS if you care even a little about the quality of your content. It looks like utter trash. Stop doing it.

I know some people think it's a total riot making the Wii U version look like the 3DS by awkwardly pointing their phone's camera at the TV, but it's far easier for your viewers to watch, follow, and understand the gritty details of your matches/demonstrations when you actually give a **** about how your videos turn out. Whether it be a guide you're making or a fight you want critiqued, everyone benefits when you use a capture card.

Last edited:

Just a Random Guy

Smash Cadet
Also on a somewhat unrelated note, get a capture card. In fact, this goes to everyone in this thread who wants to capture video game footage to share with others. Stop pointing your cameras at your TV or even worse your 3DS if you care even a little about the quality of your content. It looks like utter trash. Stop doing it.

I know some people think it's a total riot making the Wii U version look like the 3DS by awkwardly pointing their phone's camera at the TV, but it's far easier for your viewers to watch, follow, and understand the gritty details of your matches/demonstrations when you actually give a **** about how your videos turn out. Whether it be a guide you're making or a fight you want critiqued, everyone benefits when you use a capture card.
Dude, I think you're being too rash with some people here .-.
I know some vids doesn't look as let's say SSguy's vids but some people can't afford capture cards you know

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Well that falcon player wasn't very good to put it nicely so you were never actually challenged in any way. As far as accidentally pushing the wrong button combinations goes that's all on you which goes without saying.

It's just, watching you 2 stock a notably worse player (or at least their falcon anyway) says little about your ability to adapt to a competent opponent that makes you pay for your mistakes and forces you to think on your feet. The loses. Those are where weakness in play style and bad habits are easier to spot in hindsight.

It's less to do with an individual match's errors like you didn't utilize Leaf Shield enough/at all or you shielded too much and more with your overall tendencies when faced with certain situations. That's not something one can garner from a single video. Especially when it's a fight with a noticeable gap in general skill and character familiarity.

Well I can't argue that this C Falcon was bad in this video, but in his defense he got a lot better in other matches as we played each other a bunch of times. This was our first match and I think he was just caught off guard because there aren't many good Mega Mans on FG right now. I haven't run into any myself.

This was just a video of me practicing using two techniques and the purpose of uploading it was to show others how MB into up tilt and Z drop MB can be useful. I don't claim to be the best but I'm sure there are people that browse this forum that could learn a couple things or at least get a couple ideas about how to use mega man by watching the videos i post. But I probably should have been more clear about that when posting the video.

Thanks for taking the time to watch tho! As far as not being able to tell much from one match, I have 5 other videos on the page before this against better opponents for the most part and even more on my YouTube channel that I didn't put on here. You might get a better idea about my play style / things I need to improve on from those videos.

As far as the quality goes, until capture cards are more affordable and easier to get, then I don't foresee the bad quality going away any time soon and im ok with it. I understand why it bothers you but I have learned A LOT from watching videos in this thread and ironically, one of the worst quality videos (Zigma's combo vid) is where I have gotten most of my ideas on how to improve my game.

Jehtt

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TurboJett

Personally, I only very rarely post matches to be critiqued or shown off. I make sure I film my 3DS/TV in such a way that it's relatively easy to see what's going on. For myself (and many others), the rather expensive investment of a capture card isn't exactly worth it.

It's not like tmonty's video is 240p with constant artifacts or something so I'm not sure why you've got your panties in a twist.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I like his use of wall jumping on Battlefield into Metal Blade. That player really has it down.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
New to Megaman, and I don't think I know what I'm doing when I play him. How do I become a Super Fighting Robot?

vs. :4link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eBKtB3RS4U&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=1
vs. :4dedede: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-lCFmm7NUU&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=2
vs. :4palutena:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWY_-w8118s&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=3
vs. :132:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGFzTVKC2aY&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=4

Any critique and feedback would be amazing if it helps my game. And if these videos aren't enough for proper critique, there's plenty more where that came from. I am also a little sick and have a sore throat, so please excuse my coughing if you hear any.

I know I posted this earlier and somebody did give me advice once (but apparently only watched the ditto), but I'm still looking for any advice to improve my gameplay from any of these videos..I would be happy to upload videos of my newer matches, but my both my Wii U and 3DS have been confiscated by my mom so I have to wait until I get it back before I can bring anything new and I'm pretty bored of waiting right now. Until then, if anyone could have a look at these for me, it'd make it worth the wait and I'd be grateful. There's a tournament happening near me this Saturday and I wanna try my luck with Megaman when t comes, so that tells another story of why I revived these... I should probably get videos of better opponents next time though...

Please excuse the poor quality, don't have a capture card.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
I know I posted this earlier and somebody did give me advice once (but apparently only watched the ditto), but I'm still looking for any advice to improve my gameplay from any of these videos..I would be happy to upload videos of my newer matches, but my both my Wii U and 3DS have been confiscated by my mom so I have to wait until I get it back before I can bring anything new and I'm pretty bored of waiting right now. Until then, if anyone could have a look at these for me, it'd make it worth the wait and I'd be grateful. There's a tournament happening near me this Saturday and I wanna try my luck with Megaman when t comes, so that tells another story of why I revived these... I should probably get videos of better opponents next time though...

Don't use use Flame Blast (dsmash) so often. Only use it on hard reads to punish rolls or highly laggy moves. Generally, don't use Mega Upper (utilt) until they're at about 40+% if you don't want to get punished after connecting.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Don't use use Flame Blast (dsmash) so often. Only use it on hard reads to punish rolls or highly laggy moves. Generally, don't use Mega Upper (utilt) until they're at about 40+% if you don't want to get punished after connecting.
*watches videos again* Woah, I see what you mean already.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581

I agree with CopShowGuy about up tilt and down smash. If you fail to connect with either one then you leave yourself open to get punished so you want to get into the habit of using them when you are sure they will hit.

I think you would benefit from using MB as an item more frequently. It does more damage and moves faster if you use it that way. I also didnt see much of (if any) leaf shield. Leaf shield is a very important tool if used properly. If you need help finding the usefulness of leaf shield I'd recommend checking out the guide on this forum. It's called "Wood Mans leaf shield guide" or something of that nature.

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
I'm in love.

Quick question. How does he do bair with a mb in his hand?
I initially thought the same thing but if you look carefully, he is Z dropping the MB at the peak of his jump and then Back airing. A lot of the times he picks it right back up as he lands so it looks like he never let it go.

Poopman

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dragonmaster437
I initially thought the same thing but if you look carefully, he is Z dropping the MB at the peak of his jump and then Back airing. A lot of the times he picks it right back up as he lands so it looks like he never let it go.
So far, from what I've practiced, as long as your momentum is reversed, you can Z drop and collect the MB during whatever aerial (except uair??) you use. So for example, you can do retreating nairs holding with the MB and fairs. However, you can only do reverse bairs and still hold the MB, at least as far as I've tested.

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5aZf96dW-E VS :4bowser: / :4mario:

I really need advice on Mario. He feels like a character that will rack up damage quick but I can easily climb my way back thanks to his lack of kill set ups. This match up to me is very dependent on if we can get the first stock or not. My problem is that I am not sure how to approach him since I fear he shuts down most of my options. I appreciate your advice as this is a match up that I really struggle with even though it is very winnable.

Last edited:

megamain

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-1300-6153
Hey guys. I decided to pick up Mega Man recently because he finally looked interesting to me haha

This match with a Sheik player was nuts. She's so fast that it seems like my projectiles don't matter. Gameplay tips are well appreciated.

http://youtu.be/WKHx9A-Bfmw

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77

I really need advice on Mario. He feels like a character that will rack up damage quick but I can easily climb my way back thanks to his lack of kill set ups. This match up to me is very dependent on if we can get the first stock or not. My problem is that I am not sure how to approach him since I fear he shuts down most of my options. I appreciate your advice as this is a match up that I really struggle with even though it is very winnable.
Alright here's a few things that I saw:
- Mario's fireball camping seemed to give you the most trouble in neutral.
- Your use of d-air (wasn't that big of a deal since you weren't really punished for most of them, but just be more cautious about throwing them out)
- When Denti pressured you from the ledge from a distance, you oftentimes jumped and threw out something unsafe afterwards ( See 6:26, 11:04). (also wasn't too big of a deal, but it was noticeable)

Let's address some of these problems one by one:
-Mario's fireball camping seemed to give you the most trouble in neutral.
So, clearly short hop fireball is a relatively safe way to camp; however, Megaman's projectile output > Mario fireballs. Whenever Denti was tossing fireballs from a short hop, you were often challenging them with jab/ ftilt which just led to you eatiing some chip damage while he stayed relatively safe (See 5:50 - 6:10). Try throwing out more nairs and crash bombs instead. Nair definitely trades with Mario's fireballs, while also keeping you decently safe. Short hop crash bombs will either trade with fireballs, or force Mario into a defensive option if it makes contact with him. If he happens to cape, you should fall just low enough to duck a returning projectile.

- Your use of d-air
There were a decent number of times where you were edgeguarding with it when it wasn't really going to hit Denti (See 7:00,11:20, 12:00). Dair is amazing if you land it, but honestly it's pretty unreliable due to how hard it is to actually land it on a quick up-b like Mario's. Instead, I'd suggest staying on-stage and setting up a leaf shield near the ledge and walking forward; that alone is usually enough pressure to force a reaction from Mario (and most characters in general) simply because the leafs will flinch them off the ledge if they touch it. On top of that, you can also easily shield grab any attack from the ledge that the leaves can't handle.

Hope that helps a bit. :X

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581

I'm pretty sure everyone here feels your pain when it comes to Mario.

One thing that you could try against a Mario like this is to throw crash bomber into your rotation more often. What happens all too often against good Mario's is once they realize that you respect their cape game enough to the point that you're pretty much not even going to attempt to hit them with a projectile, it gives them free reign to spam fireballs and take complete control of the stage. The reason i say use crash bomber is because even if he reflects it, as long as you're following up with lemons you don't have to worry about it hitting you.

This method isn't really even about actually hitting him with the CB, it's just about keeping him honest. Then if you do manage to stick him with it then it's even better.

Another thing that I do against a good Mario is use Leaf Shield more frequently to help with your grab game. Also if you launch LS it will eat the fireballs and it's relatively easy to dodge if he reflects it back at you so it can help with your approach if he's spamming fireballs.

All of this is much easier said than done but I'm sure you know that. These are just a couple of methods that you might want to keep in mind next time you come across a really good Mario and nothing else seems to be working.

ScAtt77

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ScAtt77
Hey guys. I decided to pick up Mega Man recently because he finally looked interesting to me haha

This match with a Sheik player was nuts. She's so fast that it seems like my projectiles don't matter. Gameplay tips are well appreciated.

I would love to critique this but... Xeiros' earlier post pretty much sums up my feelings about your video. :X It would be much easier to critique a match where you actually lost.

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172

I feel like you need to NOT stand still so much after firing 3 shots from your Mega Buster. You can walk and jump during any point of firing.

Locke 06

Sayonara, bye bye~
NNID
tl.206
Watched the Mario matchup. Not sure up-B to escape utilt/uairs is a great idea. I think it's lost that function as a quick eject during combos.
Run off FAir/BAir is a better way to edge guard Mario. Get him before he can up-B and you've sealed the stock. It's more reliable than DAir. Otherwise, if he's made it to the ledge, leaf shield is a great answer as well as up-smash to cover a lot of options.

If you play with customs and have a problem with fireballs, Skull Barrier will help you there. Usually I can out-camp Mario's with pellets, occasionally trading fireballs for fsmashes (dangerous due to cape, but a solid option).

Now there's the blue bomber turn for the infinite combo
Azazel found this a while ago. First I've seen of it done in real time though.

Jtails

Smash Lord
Hello Mega Man Boarders! So I've made a bit of a competitive tutorial guide for people interested in picking up the characters, maybe even slightly goes into intermediate level play. If I left anything out, please let me know I'd appreciate the critique! Thanks

ChopperDave

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3007-8077-4055
Hello Mega Man Boarders! So I've made a bit of a competitive tutorial guide for people interested in picking up the characters, maybe even slightly goes into intermediate level play. If I left anything out, please let me know I'd appreciate the critique! Thanks

Nice beginner's guide, @ Jtails Jtails ! You did leave out a fair number of good uses, techs, and combos for Metal Blade, Crash Bomber, and Leaf Shield, but I know you can only cover so much in 15 minutes.

If you want me to give you the rundown of some other cool stuff you can do with Mega Man, feel free to shoot me a private message.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Finally got some new videos! Once again I'm here for advice and critique so I know what to work with next, so don't expect anything flashy from my matches. All matches were done in For Glory, will do some tournament sets next month since I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable playing Mega Man.

vs. :132:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bji6qdHvYg&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=9
vs. :4lucina:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI8j8SGdgls&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=8
vs. :4pikachu:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3IlUrQmw4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=7
vs. :4luigi:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYaOs9XjMFU&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=1

The Luigi fight was hell, but I don't think my other opponents were anything amazing. I didn't really find a lot of good opponents yesterday or today, so this is all I have for now. Still, any advice would help out, especially the Luigi one. One thing I'm already noticing is that I'm not using the Leaf Shield much and should use Metal Blades as items more often.

Last edited:

tmonty17

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3540-0649-1581
Finally got some new videos! Once again I'm here for advice and critique so I know what to work with next, so don't expect anything flashy from my matches. All matches were done in For Glory, will do some tournament sets next month since I'm starting to get a bit more comfortable playing Mega Man.

vs. :132:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Bji6qdHvYg&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=9
vs. :4lucina:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI8j8SGdgls&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=8
vs. :4pikachu:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6o3IlUrQmw4&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=7
vs. :4luigi:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYaOs9XjMFU&list=UU0RMA482bkRmw4pukDNhPgQ&index=1

The Luigi fight was hell, but I don't think my other opponents were anything amazing. I didn't really find a lot of good opponents yesterday or today, so this is all I have for now. Still, any advice would help out, especially the Luigi one. One thing I'm already noticing is that I'm not using the Leaf Shield much and should use Metal Blades as items more often.
I only watched the ditto match since I'm in a rush but just a couple quick things.

-Down throw to Fair is a good combo, but (especially at low percents) MB is usually a perfect follow up to keep the combo going as it can easily lead into another grab or dash attack. A couple times I noticed you just fast falling after the Fair and waiting or throwing out a couple lemons. Using MB can help extend that combo most of the time.

-This ones a bit nitpicky, but IMO you should get in the habit of always activating LS while in the air. There's a boatload of startup lag on LS so the short hop LS is the way to go to minimize the risk of getting punished.

Top Bottom