• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dr. Light Capsule - Video and Critique Thread

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
No one said that you had to expose your life like that XD
It's a bad thing, but it wasn't necessary...

Just make sure to post that vid, I've got a lemon game to patch, you know :yeahboi:

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
hahaha very true Diamond Octobot Diamond Octobot
I just posted a very short vid in the banned from online thread.
Just created an account so will be able upload stuff now.

Last edited:

CopShowGuy

Smash Ace
NNID
CopShowGuy
3DS FC
0430-8285-4172
hahaha very true Diamond Octobot Diamond Octobot
I just posted a very short vid in the banned from online thread.
Just created an account so will be able upload stuff now.
I won't deny that that was a very good stage spike. But I also won't deny that your opponent didn't seem to know how to use the shield button.

Rush 2112

Tag: 2112 (Twenty-one Twelve)
NNID
KevinOfNine
Am I posting in invisible ink? I've extended an offer to record replays for people and I feel that my pellet tech is top notch. But alas...

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Well, look at this way: When someone's been saying how good a character is despite being deemed mid-tier, and them saying how great they are, you kinda want some proof.
You sir are definitely not wrong and make an extremely valid point; I was specifically talking about in which the way that Sleek Media Sleek Media was calling out Wreck33 Wreck33 and saying he is full of it and is biting more off than he can possibly chew. Sleek Media is indeed right that Wreck33 needs to show evidence to back up his claim or else people will stop caring, but he could have done a better job at criticizing him as well. To be fair to Sleek Media though, Wreck33 saying that some people out there don't deserve to know all the stuff that he's been experimenting with and uses was kind of unnecessary as well.

No hard feelings towards Wreck33 Wreck33 , right guys? I don't want things to get out of hand here.
I've got no hard feelings towards either Wreck33 Wreck33 or Sleek Media Sleek Media . Both here are contributing in their own ways and I can't knock either of them for it. As a matter of fact, I would like to apologize to both of them if I ended up coming across as attacking or demanding myself. I make mistakes, we all make mistakes, and I'm man enough to admit when I know I'm wrong. That's who we are as people, and it's normal.

Michael Jordan, who is considered to be the greatest basketball player of all time and one of the most iconic sports athletes of all time wasn't always great and at times was an underachiever. But that didn't stop him from giving his all and some of his quotes are words that we can all relate to.
"I've failed over and over and over again in my life and that is why I succeed." "I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."

Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in this specific thread in the future. One of my goals for the summer is to get all of the stuff that I need in order to upload clips and/or matches as well as setting up a high quality twitch channel. :)

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
It was just a clip of the game getting me banned and put in for glory hell. Not meant to show anything special but show that even if you havent violated anything people can still report you and get banned even though it would be more correct that the player that falsly reported you got the ban instead! At the moment I only have 3 replays saved on the wii U. It was this one and 2 others. Both the others are nothing special either. But I guess I can post them meanwhile anyways because im going away for a week now so wont be able to record anything.

In the game vs Shulk you can see the Mb in hand pellet string to zdrop pivot uptilt thing. In the game vs falcon you can see a nair sweetspot to up tilt and a couple of good pellet strings but not the ones I really want to show. But yeah.

These games are not serious and vs sub par opponents but its the only ones I have.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Hopefully I'll be able to contribute in this specific thread in the future. One of my goals for the summer is to get all of the stuff that I need in order to upload clips and/or matches as well as setting up a high quality twitch channel. :)
As I've said twice now, I can record clips for you. Add me and send me replays. Let's see what you got. In fact, I want to see everyone's replays. There are many people who post a lot but I rarely see any videos. You no longer have an excuse. Send me a replay and I can have it online in 20 minutes.

Here's a Captain Falcon embarrassment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq85JMHbdcc

It's easy to write a video off as junk of the opponent is bad, but it can still showcase what a person can do with MM. If you want to seriously discuss MU's then you need to use high level play, but to show off tech it only takes a punching bag.

Do I have to act like a jerk to get people interested in my videos? haha Seems like that what it takes around here. I've been using the internet all wrong. Everyone please tell me your race so I can offend you.

Wreck33 Wreck33 That is nice tech.

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
As I've said twice now, I can record clips for you. Add me and send me replays. Let's see what you got. In fact, I want to see everyone's replays. There are many people who post a lot but I rarely see any videos. You no longer have an excuse. Send me a replay and I can have it online in 20 minutes.

Here's a Captain Falcon embarrassment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq85JMHbdcc

It's easy to write a video off as junk of the opponent is bad, but it can still showcase what a person can do with MM. If you want to seriously discuss MU's then you need to use high level play, but to show off tech it only takes a punching bag.

Do I have to act like a jerk to get people interested in my videos? haha Seems like that what it takes around here. I've been using the internet all wrong. Everyone please tell me your race so I can offend you.

Wreck33 Wreck33 That is nice tech.
I'll add you and send you a replay or two to you later tonight or tomorrow when I get on. Keep in mind though that the replays I've saved are on for glory, but it's better than showing nothing I suppose.

Mythzotick Mythzotick Stop sticking your weenie in the soup.
Got to say, I've never heard that before in my life. You hear, read, learn, or see something new every day I guess. But anyways, you posted your opinion on someone else that I didn't entirely agree on and as a result, I felt like sharing my opinion on it. It's as simple as that. You're always going to get people to either agree or disagree with you or otherwise, what's the point of even having a discussion if we're not going to evolve?

EDIT: Wreck33 Wreck33 Your replays show even more proof on why I think lemons and metal blades are too good and are right up there with :4diddy:'s banana and :4sheik:'s needles as among the best projectiles in the whole game or at the very least one of the most valuable projectiles to have.

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
...I must say, being aggressive, what's more on INTERNET, isn't going to help... If you are angry about something, whatever it could be, cool yourself down IRL (I mean, there are ways to control ourselves), then come back. I'm serious about it. Getting angry about small stuff like that will only make things get worse. I've already experienced it and you probably did too, but I'm just warning you (again, maybe :p )

Anyway, since we are ONCE AGAIN starting to go off tracks (and some stopped following the rules again... I think that our mods don't care anymore :yeahboi: )... I have to say that there are videos of Styles in tournament on Youtube for those interested XD

SOT #54 - Tina (Marth) vs Styles (Megaman) - SSB4 WR1

SOT #54 - Styles X2 (Megaman, Mewtwo) vs IceNinja (Corrin) - SSB4 WR3

And here's some @AerialNinja (I hope I tagged the right person >_< )

CB2016 - Swag (Mega Man) Vs. Zinoto (Diddy Kong) SSB4 Top 32 - Smash Wii U

Last edited:

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Wreck33 Wreck33 Not gonna lie, I got a laugh at that poor Falcon's expense. So...what's the technique here? I saw you short hop with the pellets a lot, and you do it well, but that isn't anything new. Can you elaborate on why you think this makes Mega so good?

Mythzotick Mythzotick I wonder if what you write sounds smart in your head when you're writing it, or if you just don't care how obnoxious your high horse act gets. Honestly, this is a video game forum. We're not impressed.

Mythzotick Mythzotick @diamond October This should go without saying, but I'm not your mommy, and I'm not here to be your friend. I'm not going to treat you with respect when you waste everyone's time with posts whining that I wasn't polite enough for your taste. Stop derailing threads with this nonsense. Put on your big boy pants and ignore the mean internet posts if they bother you. I'm just here to figure this character out. That means demonstrating ideas and cutting out BS.

Now let's deal with Wreck's videos.

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Sleek Media Sleek Media i dont get to use what I want to show here because I dont get approached with aerials. I will record games vs Sheik and Mario and you will better se what i can do with triple pellets to aerials vs approachers

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Well, you know what, Sleek Media Sleek Media ? I was actually looking for a good way to answer, and I've found it : it's not about being polite, it's about being RESPECTFUL.
You are the one who is telling us that we waste your time, and yet you are the only one wasting it here... If you can take the time to write pointless posts (which is exactly what I'm doing now), then have at you, it's your choice. Don't blame me for that.

And I'm not going to watch these videos for they aren't what we are waiting for. We are waiting for Wreck33 to show us why he thinks the Mega Buster is as good as he says, and there's no means to confirm / debunk his opinion until he delivers the video. That's all.
...Well, I'm saying that, but I actually laughed at the NAir stage spike :054:

BTW, you didn't tag me right. I'm pretty sure that the guy you tagged will never care, but if you could at least correct that.
Thanks.

Small Edit : I'm getting off that train :ohwell:
I'm probably the only one onboard, but pride aside, we all want to know what works and what doesn't...
I'll let you close that case if you want, or just leave it like that. Either cases are wine with me.

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
I try to explain in words!

In a three pellet string you can fit in 2 SHs and 1 aerial. You can also anywhere in the string drift either backwards or forwards. This is the way to pellet most of the time in neutral if you are not in frame advantage then tilt-ftilt-nair can be a better option. In the second SH in the pellet string you can fit in a nair and any aerial.

Now if you don't pellet mindlessly when you are out of range and gets used to this you will find a totally new way of control and be extremely hard to hit.

So lets say now a mario want to jump at you with either a FH or SH aerial you start the string going backwards so you just out space his aerial and after that you switch to drifting forwards for the reminder of the string this will nair sweet spot him.

At frame advantage you can start these strings and cross em up and bair them in the 2nd SH.

Vs som chars doing this string in neutral drifting backwards then at the end drift forwards and in the 2nd SH do a nair to an Up air and drift back is great bait all before you land on the ground. Nobody does this and people don't think its possible to do an Up air in that scenario either so they run right in thinking you are in lag.

Its not easy to explain : / you will see!. Maybe I have some time tonight to play some games so I can record it and upload it.
Hopefully I get some Foxes and Marios to show how I nihialate these chars in neutral.

I watched the Styles vids. So much potential in his Mega Man. I love looking at it its how you play in friendlies and not to be advised in 2 stock tournament games. If you know Mega Man well enough he doesn't have a lot of options that are good. They look good but they have a better chance of you getting punished then landing them. If you look at his videos you will notice that he does just fine then he goes for something technical and risky and gets hit. If he would tone it down and keep his safe stuff and play less 'cool' he would actually go well in tourneys. When competing the mental fortitude is your biggest asset. Its kinda like poker this game. And every move you make should be calculated with the odds of you being successful with your chosen option. After you get enough experience you can asses every situation you are in and then calculate the risk/reward ratio of your decision. Only ever act when you are at greater odds landing your moves or keep the situation in neutral. When you start throwing out 2/10 moves you will struggle with consistency.

Zero's new tier list is out for High Tiers. Mega Man jumped from like 50-19th in his tier list and said maybe we all been wrong about Mega Man.

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Mythzotick Mythzotick I wonder if what you write sounds smart in your head when you're writing it, or if you just don't care how obnoxious your high horse act gets. Honestly, this is a video game forum. We're not impressed.

Mythzotick Mythzotick @diamond October This should go without saying, but I'm not your mommy, and I'm not here to be your friend. I'm not going to treat you with respect when you waste everyone's time with posts whining that I wasn't polite enough for your taste. Stop derailing threads with this nonsense. Put on your big boy pants and ignore the mean internet posts if they bother you. I'm just here to figure this character out. That means demonstrating ideas and cutting out BS.

Now let's deal with Wreck's videos.
Lol. No actually, I think you're the one who fails to realize that I was just simply criticizing with what you said in previous posts and not acting like a baby who is so sensitive to even the littlest of insults. There is a difference. I even agreed with you on one point that you made that pertains to something like "Prove it, or I see no reason to validate this or that." I just didn't agree in the way you handled it.

You tell us that we need to put on our big boy pants and ignore the mean internet posts if they bother us when you yourself seem to have a huge problem when anyone dares to have a "problem" with you and you choose to insult them rather than choosing to criticize or question them instead. Either follow your own advice, or don't make a statement that ends up making you look bad or worse depending on the situation. Another thing too is that you tell me that I'm making pointless posts when you're kind of doing the exact same thing that I'm doing according to you don't cha think?

At this rate, arguing about this is both pointless as this isn't going anywhere and is also unrelated to this thread so I'm going to drop it. If you want to keep throwing your pitch forks at me, then by all means, do whatever pleases you man. Just don't think that it's wise to do so because it isn't as you'll end up wasting your time.

Sleek Media

Smash Lord
Now that the children have gotten their little hissy fits out of their systems, we can continue the thread.

Wreck33 Wreck33 if you need a Mario or Fox to demo against, I can play them and just put out all the hitboxes and such we want to see you get through. PM me your FC/NNID

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
Sleek Media Sleek Media that would be cool! I DM you when at home. Im in Stockholm Swe though and you are in the states right? Might be unplayable :/

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
I don't share stuff to the public if I don't feel they deser....... or wait a minute hahaha lol

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Why are you here if you don't want to share anything? What would it take for someone to deserve it?

Now that the children have gotten their little hissy fits out of their systems, we can continue the thread.

Wreck33 Wreck33 if you need a Mario or Fox to demo against, I can play them and just put out all the hitboxes and such we want to see you get through. PM me your FC/NNID
I wouldn't mind getting in on some of this action. My NNID is over <----

Last edited:

Wreck33

Smash Journeyman
It was a joke referring to past events and comments. Nothing much at all but public is public and all types of idiots can benefit. I happily share stuff with you. Just invite for games and in game chats or write to me. Rush 2112 Rush 2112

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Gotcha haha I'd enjoy having some matches and writing a tutorial, if you are interested in helping with that.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Rush 2112 Rush 2112 just added you. I'll send you some replays when I get the chance.

EDIT: Rush 2112 Rush 2112 ggs to you man. You have an amazing lemon game. I had a couple of unfortunate sds, but they didn't really matter all that much in those 2 games in particular when that happened. MM dittos are not something I'm used to and that is something I'm going to have to work on. :)

Last edited:

Diamond Octobot

Smash Ace
NNID
Poyo97
3DS FC
2621-3110-7917
Anyway, you can count me in if you guys want. Monday is already busy, and I've got some stuff to do on Tuesday, but the rest of the week is pretty much free. Even with EVO 2016. :yeahboi:

Edit : Screw that, I'm free right now XD

Last edited:

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
First off, I would like to give credit where credit is due and give my thanks to Rush 2112 Rush 2112 for uploading some of my replays. Without further ado, here they are.

Quick notes that immediately caught my eye.
  • I'm more aggressive than I should be and even at times tend to be a little bit predictable.
  • While I do mix up my game a bit, I feel like I don't do it enough in pivotal moments.
  • I tend to not use lemons enough even though it is the main core of Mega Man's general gameplan.
  • I tend to rely on leaf shield a little more than I should, but it's irresistible when you have a shield within a shield.
That's all I've got for now. Thank you Nintendo for making old replays unwatchable whenever you release a new patch. :glare:

EDIT: I took one of the videos out since you should only have 3 videos max per post. Please forgive me.

Last edited:

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Happy to help. If anybody else wants replays, add me. I'd like to see more videos of other Megas. When I search online, even from known good players, I don't find much. Plus they are often months old. I record a lot so I have it set to medium quality, but I can do HD if asked.

Here are some matches between Mythzotick Mythzotick and myself. Not sure what tag you want on them, let me know if you want it changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e7SuDHue1k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPLFEO-J3_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtEWElSJYk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIoQNdG_nCQ

I know someone mentioned the rules, but I have to wonder if people even know said rules. You're not supposed to embed videos, just link them. I sometimes embed one then link the rest, so I'm not THAT bad haha I don't totally agree with that rule anyways. The site has an embed video feature. Why not use it?

I can offer up some feedback another time, Myth. It's pretty late and I'm off to bed. One thing I remember is that you rely too heavily on zdrop MB for ledge guarding. It's not as effective when used every time and there are some more reliable kill options.

Mythzotick

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SKY1ice
3DS FC
2724-0959-8115
Rush 2112 Rush 2112 I don't know if I entirely agree with you on me relying too much on z-drop mb for ledge guarding as I find it to be a good option at making your opponents life hell trying to recover, but I do see where you're coming from. If anything, I would say that I overcommitted on super laggy moves at the wrong time when I fully well know how risky they are. Mega Man is one of those characters that can cause a lot of mood swings depending on how successful you are or aren't.

I must say that playing the MM ditto feels really weird to me, especially against those like yourself who know what they're doing. At the very least though, I truly felt like I learned a lot from our ditto matches and can hopefully make better judgement decisions in the future.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Rush 2112 Rush 2112 I don't know if I entirely agree with you on me relying too much on z-drop mb for ledge guarding as I find it to be a good option at making your opponents life hell trying to recover, but I do see where you're coming from. If anything, I would say that I overcommitted on super laggy moves at the wrong time when I fully well know how risky they are. Mega Man is one of those characters that can cause a lot of mood swings depending on how successful you are or aren't.

I must say that playing the MM ditto feels really weird to me, especially against those like yourself who know what they're doing. At the very least though, I truly felt like I learned a lot from our ditto matches and can hopefully make better judgement decisions in the future.
It is a good option, but it seems like most of the time you are dropping it and hoping they run into it. Especially when you drop it so high. It already has a lower chance of killing than most ledgeguard options. From what I saw, as soon as they go flying offstage you get your MB in hand, making it obvious what you're about to do. If the opponent has a good recovery your chances of landing the zdrop are even less. If you watch our matches I was able to avoid it almost every time by UpB'ing to either side of it. The type of recovery your opponents has should determine your options. For example, LS against Captain Falcon works well.

If you watch my videos pay attention to my ledge guarding. It's very aggressive and varied. I get most of my kills from LS gimps, Dairs, and Bairs. I find the best use of the zdrop is to get LS up, position yourself at the ledge(with a roll if you have time), and short hop zdrop with timing. Instead of dropping it the first chance you get and hope for the best. Also, do it reactively not automatically. There was one time against Link where he was dead but your zdrop saved him. Watch his approach to time it correctly.

Yeah, I don't really like the MM ditto all that much and haven't done it in a while. That's why I switched towards the end. In the ditto pellets are often cancelled out so it's a different kind of strategy most of the time.

Watching your matches here are some thoughts. My opinion, of course. Some may disagree so just take from it what you will.

You pretty much never want to jump in and throw LS at close range. If you ever decide to throw it and you don't know for sure if it will hit, you always want to jump away. Use Cstick to throw it in the opposite direction.

When you grab and they are below, let's say, 80%, you should almost always Bthrow for the damage. Even if they are close to the ledge a Fthrow isn't going to get you much. At least with a Bthrow you rack up damage quickly. After a few throws it adds up, even when stale. Throw in LS and it's even better.

Do double jump Dairs instead of single jump. It's MM's best autocancelled move and can still hit most standing opponents, unless they are the short ones.

Dsmash is strong but you use it a bit too much. I would suggest forcing yourself to never use it, until you form a better habit. Then learn to use it on hard reads only, if you must use it at all. Try replacing it with Usmash or Utilt if you want to kill. Only recently have I decided to try and fit it in, and only when I can power sheild an aerial where the opponent keeps landing behind me. Yoshi's nair comes to mind. If they land in front utilt will always be my option.

Avoid approaching with Dtilt. Especially if they're are grounded with no other pressure being applied. Unless their shield is weak.

Learn to pivot pellet. It's one of the easiest things to do but I don't see very many people use it. I see you running away and turning around with MB or jumping pellet. Run away to about max pellet range, and turn around, and pellet. Even if it's not going to land it is effective for various reasons. Once you start doing it more often you won't have to think about it and it will greatly improve your spacing and pellet game in general.

Try to avoid or limit approach-landing with Fair unless it's a sure thing. Try a sweetspot nair or just Rush bounce to get into a better position.

Start doing ledge jump nairs to get back on stage. It's surprisingly effective and can often put you on the offensive.

Zdrop into falling LS is kinda cool when it works but not a good idea to use so often. It's too inconsistent. Dropping the blade from so high reduces the chance of it hitting and a good opponent will catch on quick.

Short hop pellets are great, but you should also do full hop pellets. It seems like the only time you pellet is approaching/retreating with a few short hops only. I don't recall any sweetspots or stopping aerial approaches with full hop pellets.

You do many things well but it does seem like your biggest problem is choosing high lag options instead of low lag. At some point I started to focus more on lagless moves and only doing a move if I will not suffer any/much lag after it. Plus being ready to shield asap. Like, in neutral I only use Fair while rising on a full hop. I don't use any smash attacks, except when I see a possible opening. I keep my distance and pellet/MB until I find an opening. Or LS and approach safely. I'll use RAR Bairs to cross up and Rush to escape. I would suggest you watch my matches to see this in action. I'll be uploading some new replays soon that are better than anything I've uploaded before. I'm pumped for a big local tournament on Friday : D I just might win it.

It also seems like you are doing stuff and hoping it will work instead of reacting and choosing the proper option. Try to keep your eyes on your opponent rather than yourself, if you don't already. That really helps.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
When you grab and they are below, let's say, 80%, you should almost always Bthrow for the damage. Even if they are close to the ledge a Fthrow isn't going to get you much. At least with a Bthrow you rack up damage quickly. After a few throws it adds up, even when stale. Throw in LS and it's even better.
I was under the impression that, although it is the highest damage throw we have, back throw is our kill throw and shouldn't be used to rack up damage in the interest of keeping it fresh for a kill. Down throw is our primary damage throw because it true combos to bair, fair, or nair at super early %s, true combos into up air at medium %s, and strings into up air at medium-late %s if you read the airdodge.

smasher1001

Smash Journeyman
I was under the impression that, although it is the highest damage throw we have, back throw is our kill throw and shouldn't be used to rack up damage in the interest of keeping it fresh for a kill. Down throw is our primary damage throw because it true combos to bair, fair, or nair at super early %s, true combos into up air at medium %s, and strings into up air at medium-late %s if you read the airdodge.
Avoiding staling my back throw is also how i've generally done it as well.I'll do f-throw if it puts them offstage, or up throw sometimes as well. But I try to keep it fresh.

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Avoiding staling my back throw is also how i've generally done it as well.I'll do f-throw if it puts them offstage, or up throw sometimes as well. But I try to keep it fresh.
One thing that is super fun, but kinda situational, is sticking people with crash bomb around 130% and up throw after the bomb switches back to them (if it switched to you on grab). It can true combo for a kill if timed correctly.

Rush 2112

NNID
KevinOfNine
Yeah it's not a bad idea to save bthrow but that's why you stop at around 80. By the time they are ready to die from it you'll have it a bit unstale if not fully. It won't kill below 80 unless they di wrong and you are right at the ledge. At super low % dthrow is best to combo but after that the combos are not guaranteed. I wasn't aware of dthrow to uair, so I dunno. I find it best to rack up damage for certain rather than a chance at more from a juggle. I tend to get my kills from other means anyway so saving bthrow isn't a priority for me.

Whatever the choice, fthrow at the ledge without a pummel is a bad option.

Last edited:
Top Bottom