• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downloadable Characters = DENIED

Indignant

Smash Journeyman
I'm posting this again because it kind of got swallowed:

Another IGN interview I found interesting. I'm not getting my hopes up because it won't happen. But I am a tad confused by this guy's wording (and I think he's a native English speaker too).

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853752p2.html
IGN sat down today with Tom Prata, senior director of project development with Nintendo of America to discuss the future of Wii Ware. Details have emerged over the last few days on a number of key issues surrounding the service, and we were all ears as Prata discussed the ins and outs of the service for us during today's GDC interview.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
IGN: What specific Wii functionality will creators have access to when making a Wii Ware game? Can they save to SD? Can they do online? Wii Connect 24? Is it like a smaller (but full) Wii product, or is it standalone?

Prata: The Wii Ware developers will have access to the same functionality as they would a regular Wii disc game. The specifics you mentioned such as SD and online, Wii Connect 24, and episodic content is all there. They key point I want to stress though is that it isn't required. Sometimes you make a game and it's best expressed as a single player game or multiplayer game, and the advantage here is that we're leaving it to the creators to focus their resources on the areas that best express their ideas. We won't force their hand into functions or features that may or may not add value to the consumer.
I wasn't aware any Wii games HAD episodic content...I can't seem to think of any offhand, can you?

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Hmmph... Sakurai also said we would have more 3rd parties than we could think of.. And at that point we already knew of Snake and Sonic... Did we get a new one?

Well.. that aside, I don't believe in DLC... but I do have my eyes peeled for the forbidden 8... If the data of those characters are there... doesn't it mean they're playable, but not chooseable (or can't be even fought)?

The Forbidden 8 isn't the best selection of characters out there, but it's always better to have more. :D I'm alright with the game now, but it'd be nice to see Roy and Mewtwo return.

Black/Light

Smash Master
I am not building my hopes up I dont think Nintendo think of DLC as a way forward
They actually came out and said that yea, there is a "premium DLC service (or some sh**)" thats available for devs to use on the Wii and that they think its a step in the right direction.

Even went into details like "if they want to add a weapon/ boss/new level or w/e they can" (off the top of my head but I remember it clearly).

Yea, DLC is possible and Nintendo is backing it. . .might not happen in brawl but it's happening none the less.

Rash

Smash Ace
Nintendo could release an external harddrive easily. It's not like everybody has to have one; just the people who need the extra space on their console. Not only would it make DLC more possible, it would also just make a lot of Wii owners happy. The issue of space is only going to get worse as time goes on, especially when it comes to WiiWare.

Dust319

Smash Apprentice
I'm posting this again because it kind of got swallowed:

Another IGN interview I found interesting. I'm not getting my hopes up because it won't happen. But I am a tad confused by this guy's wording (and I think he's a native English speaker too).

http://wii.ign.com/articles/853/853752p2.html

I wasn't aware any Wii games HAD episodic content...I can't seem to think of any offhand, can you?
Not yet, but there's a first time for everything. Wiiware likely opens up that avenue more than a traditional disc system would. The implication though seems to be episodic content for games that would already be on Wiiware, not add-ons for already exsisting wii discs.

i really dont like sakurai after reading that article. i really hope he is not in charge of ssb4 after reading that article
You ungrateful pr*ck.

Sakurai works hard to make you this wonderful, awe-inspiring game that exceeds everybody's expectations and pushes the Wii's hardware limit with all of the stuff he puts into the game...

And you say that you "really don't like him"? Because he didn't add a few more characters? Because you expected him to do something, that, knowing Nintendo, obviously wouldn't happen?

You don't deserve Brawl.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
You ungrateful pr*ck.

Sakurai works hard to make you this wonderful, awe-inspiring game that exceeds everybody's expectations and pushes the Wii's hardware limit with all of the stuff he puts into the game...

And you say that you "really don't like him"? Because he didn't add a few more characters? Because you expected him to do something, that, knowing Nintendo, obviously wouldn't happen?

You don't deserve Brawl.
So because he has an opinion he doesn't deserve Brawl? *facepalm*

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
So Brawl isn't going to have any downloadable characters? Well, I can't say I'm surprised. It was a huge stretch in the first place when you consider the Wii and it's hardware. You guys also should have been aware that they are slightly behind as far as online goes, as well... they might have some big plans for online, but Brawl obviously wasn't able to fit in with any of those. At the moment, it just seems like another classic case of everyone getting insane hopes with it all crashing down in the end, and then blaming Sakurai instead of themselves. It's depressing. Why I still hang around this place, I'll never know.

And hey, as much as I'd like this to be a Ness/Sonic style cover-up, I really think the proof is in the pudding at the moment. Besides the essentially official deconfirmation of DLC happening in Brawl, it would also be very unreasonable of Nintendo to just hide the fact Brawl can be upgraded for this amount of time, as well. I do feel sorry for all the Roy and Mewtwo fans who got hope from seeing (presumably) incomplete files in the Brawl disc... but I guess we were never really supposed to know all of that stuff, anyway. It's still quite a shame, though!

Who knows, though? Maybe if we complain enough, maybe we can get those two back in, if there's ever a 4th Smash Brothers! After all complaining a whole bunch was what got them out in the first place! :dizzy:

As for me, I am more than happy with the content in Brawl at the moment... I'm probably one of the only fools around here who isn't disappointed in the game in some way. Sure, it could have been better, but it's very difficult for Nintendo to give everything some sort of fanservice, since they just have too much to work with! I've just learned to appreciate what has been represented in this rather fine game, since it would have been so easy for them to include something or somebody else, after all! I learned to accept this fact years ago, so I can't see why you guys are having such a hard time dealing with all that! :p

I'd still like to be wrong about this whole matter and have Brawl be upgraded into something even better, but however I'm going to side with logic at the moment and just accept that it might not actually happen. At least I'll be happy about being wrong, much like what happened when Ness ended up coming back for Brawl. That felt really good, to me.

I'm grateful for what we have.

It's stupid to have even expected DLC, and now everybody's getting all hot and bothered about there being none of what they should have never braced themselves for in the first place. Saying you dislike Sakurai because of something as trivial as that really gets me.

Forgive me if I was too harsh. It's just the lack of appreciation a lot of people seem to have for Sakurai right now.

End Game

Smash Journeyman
I am not surprised at all. I mean, seriously, the people who thought this was possible in the first place were delusional. Come on guys, this is Nintendo we are talking about.

SAMaine

Smash Journeyman
I say we wait for Sakurai's GDC thing before we give the banhammer on DLC.

Also, Super Smash Bros has an Unpleasable Fanbase.

Super Smash Bros Dojo daily updates. No matter what someone will always say that it isn't enough or the update sucks. (To be fair, hardly anyone complained about the reveal of Sonic, or Solid Snake's Codec conversation videos, and the most protracted screaming is usually about things such as the announce of widescreen support, which is a boring feature that should be supported without even saying.)

Now that more details have been leaked after the Japanese release, we are now inundated with complaints that the roster sucks, mostly due to such complaints as Ridley not being playable, Mewtwo not being in the game despite Lucario attempting to be a refinement of his movelist, and most vehemently, three characters from Star Fox with essentially the same special moves, including identical Landmaster Tank Final Smashes. It seems that they have forgotten most of the pleasant surprises that had been announced earlier...

Sonovin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sonovin
3DS FC
2466-3203-5587
lol. So, finally confirmed that there is no DLC.

The reason is because brawl is disc'd and the wii is a hardware.

=]

Sideem Slingh

Smash Journeyman
I'm glad he straightened it out, the tension between opinions on the DLC should wear off now....

....hopefully sometime soon, anytime now....

Black/Light

Smash Master
You ungrateful pr*ck.

You don't deserve Brawl.
. . .Read his post and reread the link. He never said he didn't like Sakurai because of no DLC. . .theres alot in that link that could result in him coming up with his own opinion about Sakurai.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
It's stupid to have even expected DLC, and now everybody's getting all hot and bothered about there being none of what they should have never braced themselves for in the first place. Saying you dislike Sakurai because of something as trivial as that really gets me.

Forgive me if I was too harsh. It's just the lack of appreciation a lot of people seem to have for Sakurai right now.
No one has to appreciate it if they are paying money for it... don't act like this was some charity cause... they made the game to make alot of money.

courte

Smash Lord
i'll sit here happily in denial-ville/hopetown, thank you very much

danio13

Smash Cadet
NO DOWNLOADABLE MUSIC!!!!!!!:(

Aw shoot(sigh)

Oh well....

*Does pbj dance in banana suit*

. . .Read his post and reread the link. He never said he didn't like Sakurai because of no DLC. . .theres alot in that link that could result in him coming up with his own opinion about Sakurai.
What? No rankings? No voice chat? It wasn't up to Sakurai to include voice chat, and rankings and names are too trivial to get upset about. The game is going to be amazing. The three reviews it's gotten are all perfect scores.

If you want to be angry at something, be angry at Nintendo and their bass-ackwards policies.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
Okay then. That settles it. I didn't like Mewtwo and I already have Ike, which is a good replacement for Roy so this doesn't affect me. Johnknight's not going to like this...

Black/Light

Smash Master
O find this more interesting. . .

Masahiro Sakurai: Adding characters from other series and from other worlds, really, outside the Nintendo universe, is an incredibly difficult process. In some ways it's more difficult from just building a game from the ground up because you're really trying to make everything match and in some ways that creates limitations. I hope that people can understand that's the reason we can't include more characters from outside the Nintendo universe. And, of course, I believe that when you increase the number of worlds, you're also increasing the number of people who could potentially enjoy that videogame and the series that you're putting in there. But there are also problems because having these non-traditional characters in there -- even with just Snake and Sonic -- has resulted in a number of people who do dissent in seeing these characters put into the Smash series. It's not a simple matter of adding as many worlds and characters from other games as possible -- you can't be careless in doing that sort of thing, you have to be careful. Internally and externally, there have been people who have raised objections to it.
Interesting. . .

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
:/

Let's just expect for Mario Kart Wii to have DLC... -is bricked- ...ow! ._.

Black/Light

Smash Master
What? No rankings? No voice chat? It wasn't up to Sakurai to include voice chat, and rankings and names are too trivial to get upset about. The game is going to be amazing. The three reviews it's gotten are all perfect scores.

If you want to be angry at something, be angry at Nintendo and their bass-ackwards policies.
. . .WHEN did he or I say jack s*** about those things?

Nintendo doesn't support Vchat right now. . .not a big deal. Ranking/ leader boads isn't Nintendo's doing, Sakurai choose to not do that. Chat was also his choice to leave out from the looks of it seeing as Mario kart has Chat and maybe even ranking last I heard.

And just because a game is "going to be amazing" doesn't mean "random joe 52" can't make his own opinion about the guy who headed the game.:ohwell:

Mike87

Smash Ace
And usher in a new era of complaint threads
Yeah we're going to get

1) r-tards whining.

2) More r-tards saying I told you so.

I'm fine with no DLC, it woukd be cool if the game had it, but nothing gets taken away from the enjoyment of the game.

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well it sucks there aren't any DLC characters, but I accept that fact.

As for why there aren't more characters to start we don't need the reason Sakurai's PR rep gave him to say.
Im simply pointing out the reasons Sakurai gave as to why Sonic and Snake are the only 3rd party characters. I found them odd. . . like the "it would be easyer to make a game from the ground up" part.

Im guessing he is mostly talking about art styles and what ever making it hard to throw in just any 3rd party and make them fit plus some other things.

. . .WHEN did he or I say jack s*** about those things?

Nintendo doesn't support Vchat right now. . .not a big deal. Ranking/ leader boads isn't Nintendo's doing, Sakurai choose to not do that. Chat was also his choice to leave out from the looks of it seeing as Mario kart has Chat and maybe even ranking last I heard.

And just because a game is "going to be amazing" doesn't mean "random joe 52" can't make his own opinion about the guy who headed the game.:ohwell:
Well, what else would you be upset about? No DLC, no rankings, no names. Those seem to be the only things that Sakurai brought up that one could be upset about.

And, no, read the entire article before making a statement like that. Sakurai wanted voice chat, but Nintendo's lame policies wouldn't allow him to do it. The absence of leaderboards and names was his choice.

danio13

Smash Cadet
The least they could have done was put downloadable music....

But it will still be a superb game:)

Black/Light

Smash Master
Well, what else would you be upset about? No DLC, no rankings, no names. Those seem to be the only things that Sakurai brought up that one could be upset about.
1. I never said that I was upset about anything other than Matt and all his da** online focus of the interview.

2. The guy said he doesn't like Sakurai now and hopes he aint on SSB4. . .seems more like him not liking the reasons and choices that Sakurai said he took (Like his choice for no chat because of insults and no ranking because the 100,0001th ranked person would feel sad amoung other personal Sakurai things. . .). You shouldn't assume the guy is pissed about things Sakurai had no choice in.

And, no, read the entire article before making a statement like that. Sakurai wanted voice chat, but Nintendo's lame policies wouldn't allow him to do it. The absence of leaderboards and names was his choice.
Read MY post please. . .
"Nintendo doesn't support Vchat right now. . .not a big deal. Ranking/ leader boads isn't Nintendo's doing, Sakurai choose to not do that. "

It's not their "lame policies", it's just the fact that they don't support it right now. Nothing saying they wont support it in the future or that they 'thinkz itz the evilz" or something.

Again, regardless of how good the game may be, people can personally like or disslike the head of the dev team behind it. In that interview Sakurai showed sides of himself. . .don't have to like them.

Luigi player

Smash Master
Oh, that's really sad, oh well...

And I don't understand the smilie on the topic, that's not good information >_>

1. I never said that I was upset about anything other than Matt and all his da** online focus of the interview.

2. The guy said he doesn't like Sakurai now and hopes he aint on SSB4. . .seems more like him not liking the reasons and choices that Sakurai said he took (Like his choice for no chat because of insults and no ranking because the 100,0001th ranked person would feel sad amoung other personal Sakurai things. . .). You shouldn't assume the guy is pissed about things Sakurai had no choice in.
I wasn't talking about you, I was talking about the guy who I flamed in the first place. I used the term "you" in a universal sense. Never mind. And Sakurai did want voice chat in, but Nintendo wouldn't let him.

Chat was also his choice to leave out from the looks of it seeing as Mario kart has Chat and maybe even ranking last I heard.
But it WASN'T his choice to leave out. He wanted voice chat in. Read the article.

Top Bottom