• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Smash Technique

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
If your enemy reads the run cancel they have quite a bit of time to grab you so to stop this you can run up to them wave dash back (baiting them if they didn't get baited you could dash dance nair) and then down smash The down smash is good because if it misses and they try to pivot grab you the second hit gets you also it makes them fly up and if you're by the ledge you can spike them and get a stock I'd suggest using this at like idk 60%

Nicholas1024

Smash Lord
For the record, any plan that relies on the enemy running into the second hit of down smash is a bad plan.

tonic

Smash Cadet
why would they ever pivot grab you from that position? Also, Dsmash -> dair should never combo, except maybe on spacies at super niche percents

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
why would they ever pivot grab you from that position? Also, Dsmash -> dair should never combo, except maybe on spacies at super niche percents
yeah at 50 or 60% it sends them up so you could jump over them and D air I never said it had to combo

PiZyy

Smash Rookie
NNID
Stiifler
The down smash is good because if it misses and they try to pivot grab you the second hit gets you also it makes them fly up and if you're by the ledge you can spike them and get a stock I'd suggest using this at like idk 60%

yeah at 50 or 60% it sends them up so you could jump over them and D air I never said it had to combo
It looks like you suggested it combo'd into eachother. Make sure you are more clear

AirFair

Marth tho
Yeah, I would not try to do that. Downsmash is a very situational move imo. I think it might be good for covering platform techs when you are on the same platform, but honestly, I would stay away from it.

Thoughts?

MarthZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
NESman1995
well thats why I made this because people wont expect the move but they will most likely think you're going to use a down tilt

Flippy Flippersen

Smash Journeyman
Your goal isn't to be random. Your goal is to get your opponent killed. Sure most opponents won't expect you to dsmash. But is dsmash faster or bigger than dtilt? Not mentionably so at least. As long as your opponent expects dtilt he also covers dsmash. The only difference being that he gets a better reward if you miss/get shielded don't hit a sweetspot etc. and you get less reward for hitting. Dsmash is afaik best used as a situational killmove against people that amsahtech your fsmashes too much. (And even then the better answer is combo them in a way that doesn't allow them to amsahtech your fsmash)

Top Bottom