• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Down Aerial Hover?

Real Salt

Smash Rookie
Hey guys, first time posting on Smashboards here.

I wanted to figure this out myself, but I don't own the game so I don't have enough time to fiddle**** with it, so I've come here.

I play a lot of ZSS at my buddy's house, and one thing I've noticed while playing her is that sometimes her Dair, instead of making her plummet downwards, stalls her in midair in the kick animation, or descends very slowly instead of quickly. I do this relatively often, but I haven't been able to replicate what keystrokes cause this to happen. The hitbox on her foot stays out but she maintains altitude, and I feel like this could be very beneficial for edgeguarding, so I'm hoping someone here has noticed this and figured out how to replicate it.

CupofT

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3738-0810-2101
This happens because of knock back. I believe you can do this with other characters with similar type down airs like Sonic and Sheik. Easy to see/reproduce when you're at 60% and your opponent hits you with a up smash or something similar.

Doctor Saius

Smash Rookie
NNID
Dr. Saius
yeah I've seen this a lot, and when used high enough you can do a slow one then a fast one, not useful one bit because it leaves you open to a f-air.

If im trying to come back down quickly i try and use the d-air but wait till i can jump or air dodge before that.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
i can sometimes manually do it by double jumping and dairing at the same time.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
The stalling one is a glitch that carried over from Brawl (speaking of which, I don't think I've seen it since the 1.04 patch...) where stall-then-fall Dairs would just make you float at a very specific height. I believe the Toon Links called it Wind Waking or some such?

If it's still in (and works the same way) the most use you'll get out of it is as a recovery mixup as it can only be used to stall near the top of the screen.

As for the slow-fall Dair, you have to use it while having some form of momentum applied on you I believe; if you use it immediately out of hitstun you're still moving a direction slightly, so you don't get the stall-then-fall effect.

Top Bottom