• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Double Jump Float

Spooky Ghost

Smash Rookie
So a mechanic that doesn't really get talked about is Peach's ability to use a jump to change her horizontal momentum and immediately cancel her upwards momentum with a float. You can perform it with either her first jump or her double jump, both are useful and improve peach's mobility significantly.

If you're dashing in one direction, you can jump backwards and immediately initiate a float, allowing you to change the direction you're moving on the ground extremely quickly. If you perform a bair out of the float, you can catch any opponents that are chasing you off-guard. Most peach mains probably know about this.

The double-jump application is where this tech becomes extremely interesting. Instead of floating immediately after jumping backwards, you can wait to gain a little bit of height and move backwards slightly before performing a double jump back in the direction you're facing and go directly into a float. If you perform this maneuver out of a dash, the result is a series of movements that look like you're drawing a "Z" shape from the bottom. This application is super tricky because the jump (I usually short-hop) lures your opponent into thinking you're backing off and will not be prepared or a fc-fair out of the double jump back towards them.

Another application I can think of is getting out of corner pressure: If forced to the edge of the stage, you can jump off the edge and then double jump float back in the direction of the stage into a fc-bair. This is analogous to a sheik running off the stage and then performing a double jump bair back onto the stage.

You can also run off a mid-height platform and double-jump float back toward the space under the platform, giving peach a good way to quickly attack players that enjoy camping underneath platforms such as Marth.

The double jump float allows peach to immediately change direction in midair without affecting her height at all. Something that no other character can do. if used effectively it can essentially behave as a dash dance or a continuation of one except in midair.

The biggest drawback to this tech is that if you are hit out of a double jump float, you are out of mid-air options. If you're off-stage, you are forced to use your up-B, which seriously limits your recovery options. Therefore, after performing this tech, I wouldn't recommend staying in float for too long. Instead, perform a float-cancelled aerial immediately and land again to regain your mid-air movement options, namely float and double-jump.

Are there any other applications of this tech that experienced peach players are aware of? Are there Peach players who use this tech extensively? If you've seen any examples of this tech on game footage, please link it. I'd love for people to be able to see real examples rather than just read my wordy descriptions. Hopefully this thread sparks some discussion about peach's movement options.

Last edited:

N JA

Smash Rookie
Hmm, so not exactly what you're saying but this totally made me think of Vwins. He's one of Canada's best players, in my mind he falls into this weird underrated Peach category with VanityAngel and Trifasia. He interrupts his first jump with float (sometimes attacks and doesnt let go of float here) then double jumps out of float and using an aerial at various points of the second jump. It makes for some great movement since it's not what people are used to. I watch McSmashter 4 videos but I'm sure there's good stuff in the SWEET XIX and No Man's LAN 10 videos too.

Spooky Ghost

Smash Rookie
Hmm, so not exactly what you're saying but this totally made me think of Vwins. He's one of Canada's best players, in my mind he falls into this weird underrated Peach category with VanityAngel and Trifasia. He interrupts his first jump with float (sometimes attacks and doesnt let go of float here) then double jumps out of float and using an aerial at various points of the second jump. It makes for some great movement since it's not what people are used to. I watch McSmashter 4 videos but I'm sure there's good stuff in the SWEET XIX and No Man's LAN 10 videos too.
That's funny that you should mention him. I played him in a Boston regional this year and he does indeed do some cool stuff with his double jump. I got 4 stocked by him in one of our games, which i didn't even know was possible in a peach ditto

Quetzalcoatl

Smash Ace
What you are explaining here is underused. If it is ever used by a pro, it's probably not a conscious effort to do it. I would best describe it as momentum swing Float Canceling

DJC seems to have a lot of potential in general that has been largely overlooked right from the moment float canceling was discovered.

It's high time we looked back at what DJC can do for Peach, but also what FC and DJC can do combined.

SquillyP

Smash Rookie
One DJC trick I've started doing is initially do a standard telegraphed float approach to bait out the Dash > Short Hop Nair and then DJC backwards > Fair. It lets you retreat so quickly and covers you with a fading disjointed hitbox.

I know most Peaches like to FC when closing space/approaching, but it's super threatening for a Peach to just short hop in the opponents direction every now and then. With the options to cancel the short hop with float > FC aerial, DJC > retreating aerial , or DJC > retreating float, Peach can cover so many angles.

Spooky Ghost

Smash Rookie
One DJC trick I've started doing is initially do a standard telegraphed float approach to bait out the Dash > Short Hop Nair and then DJC backwards > Fair. It lets you retreat so quickly and covers you with a fading disjointed hitbox.

I know most Peaches like to FC when closing space/approaching, but it's super threatening for a Peach to just short hop in the opponents direction every now and then. With the options to cancel the short hop with float > FC aerial, DJC > retreating aerial , or DJC > retreating float, Peach can cover so many angles.
When you say DJC, do you mean just Double jump backwards?

Raisin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4971-3853-0253
Glad to see a few more other people bring up these things. Though, I'm sure none of this is unknown, not enough people talk about this. I actually use every single one of these things. I think they're all very important to Peach's mixup game and overall character.

SquillyP

Smash Rookie
When you say DJC, do you mean just Double jump backwards?
Not really. Most of the time I refer to DJC there's an aerial involved. I could see how my wording could confuse.

For example: when I said "DJC > Fair," I meant the literal action string of Double Jump Backwards > Fair > Fastfall > L-cancel. I do the fair at varying timings almost immediately after my double jump, which, as a whole, constitutes a Double Jump Cancel.

Last edited:
Top Bottom