• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

double bair off stage

Aiko

Smash Champion
my friend (bulletbill) says the double back air kills the other players jump, as in it removes their jump. even if they do not attempt to double jump out of the double bair. I know very full well if the recovering player attempts to jump out and the 2nd back air connects then they are knocked out of it with little chance of recovery, but he claims that even if i dont attempt to jump out, i can still lose the double jump.

im pretty sure there isnt a single move in the game that knocks out the 2nd jump without the recovering player attempting to jump and getting knocked out of it.

so does the double back air remove the 2nd jump and are there any other moves that do this?

Ronin686

Smash Ace
No it doesn't.

A lot of people instinctively jump immediately after the first bair, thus eliminating their double jump. If they jump right away and get bair'd again right away, you can't even see the jump, so it is understandable that the Doctor Mario would think that it takes the jump away.

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
what ronin said.

There are some moves that are called "jump stealers" (i.e., sheik's f.air)

They dont steal your jump per say, but 9 times outta 10, you'll instinctivily jump, thinking you can get away; but you cant.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
What Dogysamich said.

Just DI away from his first bair instead of di'ng/jumping towards it. Guessing you're at low percentage

Aiko

Smash Champion
no its not that, its more of i know i should save my jump but bullet bill thinks it should remove my jump regardless, once im at a certain %

azianraven

Smash Journeyman
So what your saying is that Bullet Bill thinks that docs bair will take away your DJ when he uses two in succession correct? Im still confused by your last statement

but if he still thinks that 2 bairs take away one's DJ well then just tell him hes wrong =P

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
what he's saying is.

BB is saying that the bair will litterally STEAL your jump.

As in, Falco can jump, and then doc can bair him, and falco will NOT be able to double jump, even though he didnt before.

__

And that is false. >.>

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
What dogysamich is saying is that what aiko's saying what BB said is false.

it would be so cool though

Bullet Bill

Smash Master
my friend (bulletbill) says the double back air kills the other players jump, as in it removes their jump. even if they do not attempt to double jump out of the double bair. I know very full well if the recovering player attempts to jump out and the 2nd back air connects then they are knocked out of it with little chance of recovery, but he claims that even if i dont attempt to jump out, i can still lose the double jump.

im pretty sure there isnt a single move in the game that knocks out the 2nd jump without the recovering player attempting to jump and getting knocked out of it.

so does the double back air remove the 2nd jump and are there any other moves that do this?
Whatever. The point is it's a very good edgeguard.

sk8tinGam0r

Smash Cadet
ya its called the money shot after the person who figured it out or just incorperate it into his game and *****, my hero Bob money (hence the name "money shot").

ArcNatural

Banned ( ∫x, δx Points)
I'm pretty sure money shot refers to a bair near the edge followed by the situational waveland off to bair or edgecancel bair edgegaurd.

SpruceTengu

Smash Journeyman
I actually had heard something about the double bair taking a double jump away, but theres no way in heck that sorta glitch would pop up, that sounds pretty outrageous. I'd have to agree with the general concensus that it doesn't automatically steal a doublejump, but people -really- tend to follow habit here and try to double jump back to the stage after the first backair, or come back into it. At the very least, we should take this as an example of people's habitual tendencies, and really put some value in being patient and level headed :p. One thing I was wondering, though, is how likely (or perhaps on which characters) is the money shot to really gimp someone? How low a damage count can you use it on? I mean if you're playing against someone who really doesnt lose their cool, can it still be used to so devastating an effect?

Ronin686

Smash Ace
Yeah, you can definitely pull two or even three bairs even if they don't jump, obviously depending on the percent and the character.

For a semi-floaty character like Marth, you can do it at very early percents (like 5%? don't quote me).

Another kind of related thing about Marth (seeing as we're on the subject of 'habitual tendencies'). I've played a few Marths that always jump when I downthrow at mid percents. Normally at those percents, the player would be too high to hit with a short hop fair, and too low to hit with a full jump fair. However, if they always instinctively jump right away, they will jump right into a full jump fair. Just something to watch for in a Marth player.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
No it doesn't.

A lot of people instinctively jump immediately after the first bair, thus eliminating their double jump. If they jump right away and get bair'd again right away, you can't even see the jump, so it is understandable that the Doctor Mario would think that it takes the jump away.
what ronin said.

There are some moves that are called "jump stealers" (i.e., sheik's f.air)

They dont steal your jump per say, but 9 times outta 10, you'll instinctivily jump, thinking you can get away; but you cant.

What Dogysamich said.

Just DI away from his first bair instead of di'ng/jumping towards it. Guessing you're at low percentage
no its not that, its more of i know i should save my jump but bullet bill thinks it should remove my jump regardless, once im at a certain %
what he's saying is.

BB is saying that the bair will litterally STEAL your jump.

As in, Falco can jump, and then doc can bair him, and falco will NOT be able to double jump, even though he didnt before.

__

And that is false. >.>
What dogysamich is saying is that what aiko's saying what BB said is false.

it would be so cool though
Quoted for being the most repetitive thread ever. LMAO

Top Bottom