• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Don't worry...Mama will fix this." - Cooking Mama Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Seriously, someone who is supposed to be your mother stabbing you with a butchers knife that is more than likely in your kitchen? Inappropriate. Plus, I don't have many swords in my house, but that could just be me.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Seriously, someone who is supposed to be your mother stabbing you with a butchers knife that is more than likely in your kitchen? Inappropriate. Plus, I don't have many swords in my house, but that could just be me.
Sword collector's do. Which I might or might not be

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I have a friend that's a bit of a weapon collector, actually. Not an extremely common thing, but not extremely uncommon either. At least where I live...

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
In order to un-de-rail the topic (rerail?), I'll add my input on Cooking Mama...

Not a chance. Third-Party character with virtually no demand? I'm pretty sure most would pass on that...

jigglover

Smash Lord
In europe then, I don't know if hunting is big in America or something but it most certainly isn't in the UK and in most other places in Europe as far as I know. I also don't think it's big in Korea or Australia, the other two main countries for Nintendo to sell. I don't know about Japan though, so out of the countries that it would be sold to, the majority would find it offensive in some way.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I assure you no one in the US has swords for the purpose of hunting

I can't speak for everyone but it's not a common practice to say the least

jigglover

Smash Lord
I assure you no one in the US has swords for the purpose of hunting

I can't speak for everyone but it's not a common practice to say the least
Ok. I did say that I didn't know. It was just because of the first post on this page.
Opossum, I wasn't derailing the topic, I seriously was thinking that someone who supposedly depicts your mother stabbing someone like Ness or Lucas with a butcher's knife may not be appropriate/offensive.

Ember Reaper

Smash Journeyman
Relatively unknown third party, not a fighter, no.
Nowhere near as popular as Snake, Sonic, Megaman etc.

grizby2

Smash Lord
i wouldn't use the term "joke character", rather , i would use the term "surprise character."

i honestly dont think cooking mama has too much of a chance. dont get me wrong though, i understand that you would love to see a video game character you cherish to be in the next smash (we all have one dream character), but whenever i see someone come up with something like cooking mama or tingle, i usually ask them: "Do you want Smash bros, or do you want Mario party? :scale:"

Personally, when it comes to adding characters in smash, they must meet my 3 criteria.
1. they must be from nintendo
2. they must have fighting abillity
3. they must represent the franchise they are from farely well.

so at LEAST cooking mama meets ONE of those things. definately not the worst character ive seen.

jigglover

Smash Lord
Really? Does Sakurai use your three criteria!? If so that is incredible! Also, she meets 2 out of 3. She's from nintendo and cooking mama represents cooking mama.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
well not all characters who have been in SSB have necesarily had fighting abilities. i mean u got Fox who previous to Starfox adventures was always in a vehicle, same with C Falcon then you got Game and Watch and R.O.B. the way i see it is if the series is popular enough and theres a possibility for a moveset then that would make sense then it could work. but thats just me

grizby2

Smash Lord
well not all characters who have been in SSB have necesarily had fighting abilities. i mean u got Fox who previous to Starfox adventures was always in a vehicle, same with C Falcon then you got Game and Watch and R.O.B. the way i see it is if the series is popular enough and theres a possibility for a moveset then that would make sense then it could work. but thats just me
well of course fox has fighting abillity, logic-wise (now hear me out here).
in most air force acadamies, theres gotta be SOME type of combat training, (otherwise they wouldn't tell him to fight as a ground unit. not a solid point, but still.)
and yes, C falcon's move set is a bit.. out there, but i mean hes a bounty hunter with the physique of a greek god. im sure he had to do physical harm to somebody within his line of work. :p

G&W and R.O.B. are odd though. both are meant to be surprise characters and represent nintendos history. (in rob's case, LITTERALY). a good portion of the smash games is used for us to look back on nintendos history. they could continue with this formula, and maybe our next surprise character will also be an integral part of nintendo's history.

:edit: sorry for saying "nintendo's history" over and over U.U

jigglover

Smash Lord
i wouldn't use the term "joke character", rather , i would use the term "surprise character."

i honestly dont think cooking mama has too much of a chance. dont get me wrong though, i understand that you would love to see a video game character you cherish to be in the next smash (we all have one dream character), but whenever i see someone come up with something like cooking mama or tingle, i usually ask them: "Do you want Smash bros, or do you want Mario party? :scale:"

Personally, when it comes to adding characters in smash, they must meet my 3 criteria.
1. they must be from nintendo
2. they must have fighting abillity
3. they must represent the franchise they are from farely well.

so at LEAST cooking mama meets ONE of those things. definately not the worst character ive seen.

The end of your introduction implies that it is in fact what they have to meet to get in. they MUST meet MY 3 criteria. Must means that, if they have to get in by following YOUR criteria, Sakurai uses your three criteria since all characters getting in MUST meet it.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Yeah, well. Captain Falcon and Fox sort of started the concept of including characters that has never appeared outside their vehicles in their games, and their movesets were entirely made up. Zelda has been seen using fighting abilities since OOT, though it's not much. Ice Climbers did a little bit fighting in their game as well to be fair. Olimar, his moveset depends on his pikmin. Which is relevant to his capabilities in his games, and Mr. G&W has had accessories from his games such as the frying pan.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I'm pretty sure Fox and Falcon have fighting ability seeing ones a bounty hunter and the other is a soldier

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think there is a difference between showing fighting potential and having fighting potential

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
Um Captain Falcon had a comic book in his first game. He was collecting bounties and beating down on people.

So Captain Falcon actually did stuff in his debut.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkYYE6oGfAY
but not a single thing he did in the comic was used as material for a moveset.
look its true we can assume characters like Fox or C. Falcon would have decent fighting abilities. however, that doesnt change the fact that most of what they do is made up BS. being a bounty hunter or a soldier doesnt mean you can surround your body in fire.

then theres characters like the Ice Climbers and Pit who had very limited capabilities in their game but a moveset was created that made sense.

then you got characters like Olimar, Game and Watch, and R.O.B who really dont fight in their games but have a moveset reflecting what can be done in their games and thats what Cooking Momma would be like. using cooking utensils, gardening tools, or... diapers lol. but yes she is still third party so i dont see it happening but if it happened id welcome her and can think of quite a few ways that could make her work.

jigglover

Smash Lord
This post is funny, because you listed every character (except Zelda, I really need to get OoT some time...) that I did having no fighting capabilities at the top of this page!

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I've been a proponent of this since my Brawl roster.
Necessary character.
Caters to an audience that would not otherwise see... perhaps any representation
Not to mention her unique attributes that have been stated above.
Plus her wide recognition.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
All these people bad-mouthing a woman being playable also support babies being playable. Irony, no?

Edit: Except me, I'm fine with both, just make them outrageously cartoony.

Last edited:

Gallowglass

Smash Lord
I don't care what her chances are but her move set potential is a lot of fun to figure out.

I still really like the idea of weaponizing dirty diapers.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Can you just imagine the announcer "The winner is, Mama!"

Or the crowd chanting 'mama mama' when you're kicking butt. Preferably all in small child voices. Like the nightmare from Metroid Other M.

But mostly, aside from a unique playstyle coming from a variety of different games, Mama has an iconic design, and that's one of the most important things in character representation.

As for women in the game... It'd be much nicer/easier if Nintendo made a Drill Dozer 2.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
I've got to think that since Sakurai is now openly destroying the gematsu leak that adding Mama to the roster as the second WTF character instead of Chorus Men is an extremely possible thing to happen.

Especially since he's on his girlpower stuff this time around. Tbh it wouldn't shock me whatsoever. She might be even creepier than Villager

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Cooking Mama's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Hey guys, according to this list, how would Cooking Mama's moveset be classified? (hybrid classes are possible):

Zoner - Character whose strength lies in forcing their opponent to stay in a certain area. Ex: :4marth:

Ranger - Character whose strength lies in their ranged attacks to force opponents to keep their distance. Ex: :4link:

Speedster - Character whose strength lies in their speed and ability to overwhelm their opponents with relentless attacks. Ex: :4pikachu:

Trickster - Character whose strength lies in a quirky moveset that is hard to predict and can alter the battle field. Ex: :4villager:

Bruiser - Character whose strength lies in devastating attacks to quickly finish off opponents. Ex: :4falcon:

Resistor - Character whose strength lies in super armor that allows them to tank hits to strike down opponents. Ex: :4bowser:

Puppeteer - Character whose strength lies in overwhelming opponents with relentless attacks stopping opponents from striking back. Strength in numbers. Ex: :rosalina:

Juggler - Character whose strength lies in being able to string combos together to finish off opponents. Ex: :4luigi:
Should be juggler based on the art of cooking- takes a lot of speed and technique to nimbly craft close combat and quirky abilities.

Where is this list from, though? I think all characters take more of a couple of these ideas, even the names somewhat mismatch the descriptions to me, especially puppeteer.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Should be juggler based on the art of cooking- takes a lot of speed and technique to nimbly craft close combat and quirky abilities.

Where is this list from, though? I think all characters take more of a couple of these ideas, even the names somewhat mismatch the descriptions to me, especially puppeteer.
The reason the names may sound a little of is because of me, I made the list. By the way, Do you think Cooking Mama will have any trouble with characters like :4tlink:?

mistermews

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0275-8819-2543
If there is a supporter list.... Ack!
Add me to it. I am her No. 2 supporter, I just love the idea, that's all.
She'd reach out to a titanic audience of young girls, she'd be a perfect character to put on the cover.

The reason the names may sound a little of is because of me, I made the list. By the way, Do you think Cooking Mama will have any trouble with characters like :4tlink:?
I haven't much of a clue, but what guessing power I do sustain I would say it would be one hell of a projectile fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom