• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Don't Approach: Melee's Flaw Dissected

JPOBS

Smash Hero
What would be cool is if someone (or group) did a study of the relative success/failure rate of Approaching/Non-approaching in acquiring first hits, across a variety of relevent high level sets and matchups.

The assessment would take into account only success/failures achieved from a neutral position. So, the example Hax gave earlier where he was stuffing Axe's approaching nairs with Knees would be relevent. What would NOT be relevent, would be, if for example in a fox ditto, one of the fox's think he has a read on the other's approach, and goes for a pivot upsmash but it whiffs, and the second fox punishes accordingly. That is not an approach. Likewise, ledge situations where one player wavelands onto the stage and shields, and the other player reacts and runs up an grabs, is also not an approach, because the first player did not have equal freedom of movement.

So the study would take into account only situations where both players have relatively equal freedom of movement, and assess ratio of first hits by the aggressor compared to the defender. And it would only be successful interactions. So an approach that results in a crouch-cancel downsmash for example would be considered victory for the defender.

I only want to look at first hits because what transpires after that is too dependent on way too many variables, primarily, player execution, matchup shenanigans (a fox isn't going to 02D a samus) etc. But first hits is a good jumping off point.

I'd be wiling to do this purely out of interest but october sucks for me. If people are still interested in it, (and no one else has tried) by november, I'll get started on it then.

Bones0

Smash Legend
Good luck trying to find truly "neutral" positions. Just being a little closer to the edge than your opponent can have huge consequences in your decision making. Your best luck would be going off of the beginning of games where they have neutral spawning positions.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
My main concern is that you aren't penalizing the defender for making preemptive actions to anticipate approaches that would cost them if the aggressor doesn't approach, or doesn't approach in the expected manner.

Where do you draw the line? What if the aggressor runs up and wavedashes in place or backwards, successfully baits an action, and then capitalizes? etc. etc. I think this is something Mango's fox excels at.

Even in your example, when the fox that usmashed did so without prompting, he did so because of the threat of an approach, and so it should register as a cost of defending vs. the approach. Obviously this doesn't work so well if the fox player is just bad and usmashes randomly when he doesn't need to, but it seems like your study needs to assume that all the subjects are good enough players anyway.

JPOBS

Smash Hero
it doesnt have to be perfectly neutral. As long as you aren't literally forced into one option or the other by nature of the situation then it will do I think.

I think what would be really hard is Falco. When the **** is there ever a neutral positioning vs him? that would be pretty tough to figure out.

if people aren't interested thats fine. But right now, we're all getting up in arms and worried about something we don't even have any real evidence to support other than the way the metagame "feels" right now

@ wintson: there could be a lot of adjustments to the scheme. that was just a preliminary suggestion. Ideally, I'd want input from the community anyway, and a team of people doing it to migitate observation bias. Hell, I don't even have to do it. Again, just a suggestion if people feel so inclined.

Hax

Smash Champion
InternetExplorer said:
Just curious, Hax...what would you theoretically change about the mechanics of Melee to fix your proposed problem? It's hard to do much without making offense TOO good. Would you change the shielding mechanic, or maybe add a mechanic that allows the offensive player to mix up more or cancel momentum?
good question. i'd removing CC'ing, smash DI'ing, and ledge invincibility ONLY when the opponent is on the stage (when they're offstage, the invincibility helps you edgeguard them which is perfectly fair and necessary in some cases). these things just don't belong in the game, though. only 3 characters **** CC'ing, and smash DI'ing ensures that no character in the game will combo you if it's used correctly. i like the traditional fighter system of hit confirm -> guaranteed combo; the [good] twist Melee puts on this is DI, which forces people to alter their combos accordingly. this can lead to lots of creativity and ensures that no single bread and butter combo becomes the only one you should ever use with a character. DI should be the only Melee-unique defensive barrier the offensive player should have to overcome.

Winston said:
First of all, if you think it's possible to have perfect reaction to that degree, wouldn't your theory apply to any game? Someone waiting for an approach will always have more options than someone approaching. Your points about other games having safer aerials on block/less ending lag doesn't necessarily fix this, since there are non-blocking options that will beat those attacks. In 64, aerials literally have no landing lag ever, and yet all of them would be beaten by a properly timed Usmash from Captain Falcon, or a properly spaced DD grab. (before someone from 64 yells at me with a counterexample, for the cases that this wouldn't work, I'm sure there's something he could do instead.) If we assume reaction time to that degree, doesn't that mean that in order for approaching to be viable, there have to be literally no options to counter them?
it varies by game. it really depends on how much the game commits you to your approach once you initiate it. in MvC2 for example, all the best characters can jump -> airdash down or down/back as a bait. once they jump, they have a completely viable escape mechanism. in Street Fighter 4, however, jumping forward is considered to be the worst approach in the game. this is because your ONLY option once you jump forward is an aerial attack that can easily be punished by any of the game's broken anti-air options (i.e. Shoryuken). the flipside would be Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, which has parries that can be activated mid-air. parries made it so that jumping forward was entirely viable.

in perfect SF3/MvC2, jumping forward is fine because you have viable escape mechanisms that i have to assume you will use just as perfectly as your perfect opponent. in perfect SF4/SSBM, jumping forward gets you ***** because even when used perfectly, the escape options available to you give you lag frames.

Winston

Smash Master
Seattle, WA (slightly north of U-District)
But jumping forward only gets you ***** on reaction if they are at a certain spacing (to DD grab you) or if they are stationary AND expecting it (so they can use something like a space animal utilt to beat your aerial). You don't have to jump forward at those times. If you move forward they have to move back to keep that spacing, and since you're both dashdancing you have approximately the same freedom of movement. etc. etc.

There's also a lot of stuff like dash attacks or wd forward -> attack, which don't give the same visual cue as jumping forward does, and has better "escape mechanisms". Falcon doesn't have something like this, but he does have a far longer dash jump than almost anybody else, and aerials that beat CC and are safe on block. (Not saying that Falcon's good at approaching, just that it's not out of the question).

This does break down if getting trapped at the edge is not a penalty, like you said in the OP. I feel like the only characters this might apply to are Jiggs (because of planking) and Sheik (because she doesn't need to move as much other characters to defend, and because her bthrow gimping skews the risk/reward so much). In general though, for characters like Marth and Peach, getting cornered or being on the ledge is pretty bad.

I could buy an argument that says that defensively-oriented play is better at the top level. What I strongly disagree with is the claim that approaching will NEVER work once people get good enough. Mango may have lost vs. Armada, but his approaches worked PLENTY of times, often enough to get him to a lead halfway through game 5. Armada might be the player who is the absolute best in the world at the reactive defensive game, and Mango was able to find openings despite being overly aggressive. Even as the metagame develops further and players get even better, reaction time is not something that will continuously improve.

King Funk

Int. Croc. Alligator
No built-in timers; there are some provisions for the good old guy-with-a-stopwatch fix, but it's never become necessary, and the Gerson-Isai matches, while very serious, didn't follow any specific written-down ruleset.

And I'm not hating on defensive play at all- Gerson is a *insert hyperbolic stuff here* FANTASTIC player who took 8 out of 21 games from ****ing ISAI (WTF WHO DOES THAT?) by playing to win. More power to him. It would just suck for spectators (and I would think players, although Isai seemed not to mind) if top-level 64 meant 15-minute campfests with 02D's thrown in every minute or so (I don't think it does; hyrule just sucks).
I think 64 is by far the most defensive-centered game in the smash series. I know that for Melee players out there it's hard to believe, but you can trust my large experience with all the smash games.

64 can be described pretty much in the way Hax described Melee, but with 10x bigger and more guaranteed rewards on defending successfully. It's downright scary.

Before this year, we never did 64 tournaments in the European community. But when I started organizing them, I saw some of the ugliest play I could ever have imagined (example here ; yes, this is a best of 5 set ; yes, the last match REALLY lasted 11 minutes).

Bones0

Smash Legend
As campy as 64 looks, it at least looks like to play that campy you still have to be good. Brawl camping isn't even hard. If anything, the two games kind of prove that Melee hit the sweet spot with offense vs. defense, especially in terms of how devastating or worthless first hits are.

Massive

Smash Champion
good question. i'd removing CC'ing, smash DI'ing, and ledge invincibility ONLY when the opponent is on the stage (when they're offstage, the invincibility helps you edgeguard them which is perfectly fair and necessary in some cases). these things just don't belong in the game, though. only 3 characters **** CC'ing, and smash DI'ing ensures that no character in the game will combo you if it's used correctly. i like the traditional fighter system of hit confirm -> guaranteed combo; the [good] twist Melee puts on this is DI, which forces people to alter their combos accordingly. this can lead to lots of creativity and ensures that no single bread and butter combo becomes the only one you should ever use with a character. DI should be the only Melee-unique defensive barrier the offensive player should have to overcome.
You are, for all intents and purposes, describing what was changed in Brawl here.

Bones0 said:
If anything, the two games kind of prove that Melee hit the sweet spot with offense vs. defense, especially in terms of how devastating or worthless first hits are.
This is the sound of the nail being hit on the head.

Veril

Frame Savant
You are, for all intents and purposes, describing what was changed in Brawl here.
Out of the changes mentioned, only one was sorta implemented in brawl. Sdi still exists, and arguably moreso cause of the hitlag increase. CCing to reduce hitstun was replaced with... Less hitstun all the time :( tumble canceling options in hitstun and CCing to reduce hitlag. Ledge posession doesn't work the same way but ledge inv is whack as ****.

Hax's ideas (ledge posession and cc removal) are actually stuff I've heard from other players when discussing modding melee, minus the Sdi suggestion. Removing sdi would create more problems imo. If it were possible to fine tune Sdiability of moves ala brawl's sdi modifier that would be sweet. Melee is so much fun already though that there isn't a lot of motivation to hack it in this way though, plus it'd be hella tough.

:phone:

christianizcool

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, I am pretty new but I have a question regarding this.

I've seen all the Genesis 2 videos and stuff like that, and since the game is becoming more defensive it seems, what implications does that have on future tier lists?

The example I am thinking right now is Samus (considering I main her). She was already a pretty campy character, she does best when people approach her. So do you think everyone camping more would make Samus rise in tier list, because that is one thing she is already good at it, or lower, because other characters would get better at what she does well?

Just food for thought

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
She'd still be better vs space animals than most of the characters she's competing with in the 9th-14th spot (Ganon, herself, Luigi, Mario, Doc, Pika) so I don't think she'd drop very much if she dropped at all.

The Star King

Smash Hero
I think 64 is by far the most defensive-centered game in the smash series. I know that for Melee players out there it's hard to believe, but you can trust my large experience with all the smash games.

64 can be described pretty much in the way Hax described Melee, but with 10x bigger and more guaranteed rewards on defending successfully. It's downright scary.

Before this year, we never did 64 tournaments in the European community. But when I started organizing them, I saw some of the ugliest play I could ever have imagined (example here ; yes, this is a best of 5 set ; yes, the last match REALLY lasted 11 minutes).
More defensive than Brawl? LOL are you ****ing kidding me?

I know you're biased because European 64 is way more defensive, and from what I've heard European Brawl is more aggressive, but still.

Just as an example, Isai is our best player and he is aggressive as all hell.

rageagainst

Smash Journeyman
Approaching when the opponent is in a "neutral" position is always a risk. [by neutral, I mean standing on the ground and not performing a move that has recovery time]

Once the opponent does any move [including jump], their options are immediately limited/changed, and your odds of choosing a successful approach become better.

So, if both players are good enough, it just becomes a game of "Who will make the first mistake?" The one who does make the first mistake will eat a combo or possibly lose a stock.
Which is not really a strategy game... Not saying melee was every just about strategy but it used to be a big part of it.

Dr Peepee

Thanks for Everything <3
BRoomer
Late response to OP

I didn't get to say everything I wanted to say yesterday on SotG so I'll just jump into this on responding to Hax's first post here.

-not approaching=short term improvement. *Yes any big style change could throw someone off but if your fundamentals don't improve with it then good luck improving much beyond that short-term deal.

-the reason most top players are at the top is because they play defensively. *Well the metagame has steered that way so of course more people will be playing defensively, but to say that every top player is good just because they know how to play defensively is not only insulting to all of the other traits required for success but also insulting to Melee as well in my opinion. Melee has a plethora of movement options(WD, DD, platforms, wavelands, etc) that allow for unique offensive tactics such as acute wavedahses forward to observe a reaction or slowly take space from the opponent. You are also forgetting that one of the top players, Mango, has a very effective offensive style. How can the metagame be entirely defensive-based if Mango does well playing so "incorrectly?"

-the timeout and otherwise very lengthy matches seen at Genesis 2 were a result of Hungrybox committing to how he believes he has to play with Jiggz to win, and how much Armada hates Puff. Hbox, by not approaching, forced the match to take a long time because YL has noticeably worse approaches and since he has the projectiles it would be up to Puff to approach anyway(on a purely matchup-based level anyway.....not that I think many would disagree). Did you see any other sets going to time? I'd be very surprised if you did.

-Using their own medicine against them(campy players) *This is exactly the mentality that fosters more players pushing the game in the exact opposite direction from what they/you want. if you don't want the game to be campy, then don't camp! if you feel it is necessary to play like those that perform better than you in tournaments to be successful rather than whatever you believe is better as you learned it or could experiment to learn it then that is on you. A growing number of people look to better players to copy rather than innovating things on a grand scale on their own these days, and copying everything you don't like just because it is doing well falls under that category PLUS the knowledge may not even be intuitive to you so you may be held back more by such ideals. I highly disagree with this ideal but you said on the SotG yesterday you'd commit to it, so I hope that for anyone else reading this can be a warning.

-Peach. *I found the use of Peach odd here. Peach has a very difficult time approaching as it is because of her extremely low mobility. She gets camped hard. Just because she has great shield pressure doesn't mean she is necessarily geared towards offense when it is tough for her to catch her opponent in the first place as well as pin them down.

-*I personally believe Melee has the potential to allow for many characters(many more than just the top and high tiers at LEAST) to be aggressive. All of the movement options and great fall speeds and speedy attacks and tough combos that momentum can help out are all wonderful assets that only aggressive play enjoys. Not to mention the stage control advantage granted to aggressive players which exerts its own psychological and, really, physical influence on the opponent. Being backed up against the edge is a difficult position because you can't retreat and, without considering anything else(even though there is much more to consider), one has less options. Aggressive play can, when successful, limit options. How is that wrong or ineffective?

-*Spacie shield pressure isn't actually safe, if you're going by frames. There's more than a few frames to punish too, so as long as one knows the holes in shield pressure then it is simply a guessing/conditioning game that can wind up with you feeling too pressured and rolling or you getting the punish on the spacies and scaring them from pressuring/intimidating them from trying for much pressure. On a more human front, spacie pressure is pretty intimidating so it can be tough to always recognize where the holes are. Shield DI and buffering(rolls/spotdodges) can be very helpful with escape though, so that pressure is far from broken. Notice that, for humans, I listed both pro-offensive and pro-defensive traits of spacie shield pressure(aka pros and cons of it). Does this not seem to suggest that pressure is only what the player(s) make of it then?

-*I don't really believe Peach's shield pressure is broken either for the simple fact that you can roll away from her and she'd basically have to call the roll in order to get you. Peach's pressure might be great but if the reaction she forces is nearly unpunishable by her then how good is it really?

-Autopilot pressure *basically the pressure can't be autopilot because the frame holes exist. Mixing up pressure, even for Peach becomes essential since frame holes allow for punishments or escapes from the opponent. Because the mixups are required then there is always a solid answer to whatever someone is doing to pressure you, and in that way you have a chance at control. It comes down to who is reading or playing better, not who is spamming the more broken tactic.

-*Delaying lots of aerials is still safe in Melee. Marth can delay his fair or nair inside of someone's shield and dash away without getting shield grabbed, for example. But if you're talking about them moving away from your attack, then that can be bad, yeah. Thing is, lots of floaty jumps leave a lot of time for moves to be used at different timings or intervals(SH with sheik and see how long you're in the air). SHs are typically much shorter than FHs but both leave ample opportunity to trip up someone's timing on the lag punish(aerial momentum must also be watched carefully as well when considering the spacing required to punish these aerials, which makes the task that much more difficult). Whiffing an aerial is not always a cause for punishment, heck, the way I see most people get punished today is they whiff a move then do another one immediately since they believe they're going to get punished and then they've committed far too hard so THEN they get punished. There are other counters to that scenario anyway such as overshooting moves so that they don't whiff, but all of this has its own set of pros and cons that is somewhat outside the context of this discussion.

-Crouch-canceling *This is a really good argument in itself for defensive play. To assume this also includes ASDI down when getting hit by a move even if you're acting, CC'ing can reverse otherwise free combo situations around on the attacker. Instead of viewing this as a need to play defensively though, I see it as another layer/option to get around when approaching, or rather I'd try to get someone moving when I approach them so they couldn't really CC/focus on CC'ing. It must also be noted that CC is % dependent, meaning only useful things can be done from CCs at lower percents and at higher percents it won't work.

-SDI *This is a wonderful defensive layer I'm glad was added into the game. Giving many unique DI options and allowing people to survive by understanding when they will be hit moments before they are is pretty cool to me. Falco's combos would also be ******** without SDI LOL. But yeah SDI doesn't necessarily negate combo starters as most people are trying to avoid the hit not SDI it when they get hit(especially at low %s). Besides, SDI'ing away often puts you offstage which is a position where you can't really play defensively anymore because you must recover. Just because you can SDI out of a combo doesn't mean you are out of it. If I SDI hard up against Marth as pretty much anyone then I'm far from free because I still have the juggling potential that Marth's high priority Uair and uptilt in particular grant him when he gets his opponent above him.

-Inhuman reaction times *Ehhhh I don't think it's about reaction times always so much as it is knowing what to look to react to. If people are bad at offense and they approach in ways we've all seen before, then of course our reaction times will look good if/when we punish them. That doesn't mean offense is bad, it just means approaches need to get more creative like in the past. Reaction times were also very good back in the day too, and as Taj noted in the SotG he could actually react to standing grabs in his reaction prime. I haven't heard of that ability now, so do you think we are really becoming better at reacting or merely exploiting the game?

-Forgot to CC *You don't forget to CC so much as you get put into a position where you're not favoring a CC. Delayed moves aren't worth CC'ing usually because you won't get a punish off of them, so you don't try to take that damage and move away. The opponent sees you move away and next time you try to move away they do a move that hits you but they probably had to overshoot their move to hit you(or do it early so it's before you get away). This is beaten by CC'ing(or hitting them first, which makes aggression pretty cool imo). Sounds like a mixup game to me.

-Little reward for approaching *Absolutely not. Being able to throw out things ordinarily thought unsafe but used sequencially because your opponent is flustered and wants to merely escape the string of attacks and pressure you're putting on them is an incredibly good reward. And really, getting a combo is getting a combo, defense or offense means aside, so I'm not sure how you can say you can't get a combo when you approach. There are difficulties and great rewards gained from playing offensively of defensively before getting a hit, and that is what should be emphasized here. Playing defensively tends to make you more predictable but you can spend more time reading since you're hanging back. Offensively you're having to deal with more information while also trying to be tricky and approach in different ways, but you make yourself hard to read and can eventually take advanatge of your stage control and "break" your opponent's defense and get inside their mind really well.

-Except fox throwing backward *Fox's bthrow sets up for great shine kills so nah. Falco gets away with some silly Bthrow gimps occasionally too.

-Broken *Things that are uncounterable are "broken," and you didn't list a single thing that was uncounterable in that list.

-*Sheik can have the edge taken from her ledgestall and she could either die or at least get her big recovery lag hit for it. Sheik's grab range isn't broken as it is smaller than Marth's, whose grab range is actually huge. Sheik's edgeguarding can also be beaten, even if it is quite effective. Besides, being in an edgeguard position is usually unfavorable to the guy recovering anyway. I'd think it would favor defense more if the guy getting knocked off didn't have to worry about his recovery much and didn't have to feel pressured by the edge that he could die.

-*Peach's recovery is hardly broken. She is a floaty character with a good recovery, but being completely helpless during her up-B is very far from a broken characteristic. She can mix in a drop that she is still entirely vulnerable doing and that's it.

-*Puff likes gimping people but it is not especially easy for her. She has pound and bthrow onstage, and so long as you bait her out a little then you should be very safe from both. If anything, Jiggz can only retreat to the edge if she tries to space vs you there, so just let her run there or let her try to push out and you'll be fine.

-Fighting these characters by the edge is bad *How is taking advantage of stage control bad? Any person who argues that these characters do not feel threatened when up against the edge probably does not play those characters....or needs to play someone good at controlling people when they have stage control and edgeguarding floaties. Every character feels the pressure when they're pushed up against the edge, and just because some players have developed great ways at handling the pressure does not mean the pressure does not exist.

-*If one jumps in at a bad time in Melee, then either delaying an aerial or double jumping away will be safe the vast majority of the time. Most people space away from the big aerial move, especially when they see someone jump. Why would they be ready to attack a double jump they never see anyone do? If you make an error in judgment while jumping in, then unless you DJ at the very last second when they were starting to come in anyway and will follow your jump, then you will probably be fine. Obviously, if you make that error in judgment a lot then I question if we are still discussing high level play here, but an emergency double jump back once a set or so is perfectly safe for the most part(you could still be pressured after it though). Jumping in, in general, can be very effective as it establishes the threat of that particular move and by forcing your opponent to respect it you can determine how to punish their reaction the next time you're at that spacing instead of using that same move the same way again asking to be punished(in your case it sounds like going in hard with a move getting DD grabbed is how you use things a lot and I'd say that's a bad idea yeah).

-At full potential, only 23 characters are viable to approach with *So every character doesn't have an easily spammable approach type move. I hardly think that this means players cannot approach. Really, in truth, any approach could be countered anyway. Saying that just fox and falco or whatever are the only characters to approach omits the offensive capabilities of all of the other characters. Marth has a huge sword, how could he approach badly if he didn't approach in the same way often? Falcon is incredibly fast like fox, so why wouldn't he be able to approach with different things if he saw an opening and attacked before the opponent could react? There are many examples of this but I won't continue on about it unless asked.

-Citing top players *Again, this is how the better players have turned out. The better players in 03-07 were primarily aggressive ones, so who's to say that the game suddenly changed, or maybe it was us instead? If a great SF player(forgot the name it's been a while) quit SF because everyone was getting campy recently, and if 64 is getting campier when it looked primarily aggro and it's been out longer than Melee, then doesn't that just sound like the metagame, the PEOPLE, have shifted that way instead of necessarily believing that that is what defines Melee?

-Disappointed at Melee's direction *I am too, but I'm not going to camp harder. Rather, I have been trying to find ways to approach better since my approaching game has been quite poor in the past up until like RoM3 or maybe even later. If you want to enjoy more aggressive behavior in your game, then go for it man! If you believe defense is better, then that's fine too, but I suggest you should only believe it because YOU do. Don't just say defense is the best because the best players do it. Thinking like them on this broad subject only limits you I believe, but again if you believe it because you came to that conclusion independently then I hope you push your defensive game far because that's legit too.

-Noobs vs better players * I would never tell someone that the game is necessarily this or that outright, not with Melee. There is too much to know and do. I respect Hax's decision to believe Melee is a more defensive game, but I wish he would have backed it up in a way I could have agreed with more. Suggesting to good and bad players that this will necessarily help is something I don't agree with though. Striking out on your own and developing your own ideas is how we see such great diversity in styles and one way aggressive play can make a return, if that's what we all truly want to see.

For the record, my stance of Melee is you need a healthy balance to be successful, or maybe you have a slight lean towards defensive or aggressive play. Being able to understand and utilize tools related to both offensive and defensive tactics is key, regardless.

Veetaak

Smash Lord
I will never go totally defensive in melee
One of the reasons I started playing was because of how fast-paced the game was when you mix in the ATs.

I wouldn't want to lose the core thing I like about the game just so I could win if this was the case.
And I still think that today's metagame has space for approaching because you can't simply cover all options from a neutral standing to the point where you are never in a disadvantegeous possition. There are too many mix ups and gambles for one to reflect all approaches.

Battlecow

Play to Win

Ew. I remember watching that entire thing, back in the day...

Yeah, Hyrule sucks and Europe is whack. It's disingenuous to say that that's representative of competitive 64, because most tourney matches look nothing like that.

KirbyKaze

Smash Legend
Peach sucks at approaching. She's too slow to cover ground effectively.

She's a beast at zoning, though. My god does that woman control space effectively.

ShroudedOne

Smash Hero
Premium
This is exactly why I was confused when Hax said that Peach could be aggressive. Yeah, she controls space REALLY well, but as for approaching, you kinda need speed for that...

And excellent post, Peepee. Read the entire thing. I personally believe that one should have a mix of a good offense and a good defense, with a slight leaning on offense, just cause offense controls space, and defense just...defends it, I guess? Control is extremely important (personally, I don't think hardcore camping nets you anything but time, but whatever...)

In one of your paragraphs, I think you meant, "At full potential, only 3 characters are viable to approach with." At least, that's what Hax was saying. But there are some characters who have easily telegraphed approaches (Zelda, Mewtwo, etc.)

Wake

Smash Master
I just reread it, and I wanted to note

"Fighting these characters by the edge is bad *How is taking advantage of stage control bad? Any person who argues that these characters do not feel threatened when up against the edge probably does not play those characters....or needs to play someone good at controlling people when they have stage control and edgeguarding floaties. Every character feels the pressure when they're pushed up against the edge, and just because some players have developed great ways at handling the pressure does not mean the pressure does not exist."

Sooo good! Seriously, even Peach, Puff, Sheik, and whoever Hax listed as "broken" at the ledge feel enormous pressure when forced to be there. Characters don't generally want to be forced into a place where they don't want to be :/

NNID
dansalvato
I also read the whole post. I'm glad to have read a really good argument for aggression. Reading these discussions makes me both awed and upset because I'm not high enough level for it to even matter yet, so I can't really consider these in my game.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
Dr.PP should right a book...or perhaps get a job as a motivational speaker.

With that Said I've tried not approaching after reading this(friendlies). Made some people mad/rage-quit a few matches but all in all I had a little more success.

again with that said, I'm not going to be a campy *** it's just not me.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
My theory of the way that players should play is a nontext book play style. They should apply pressure to the opponent. Pressure wins games. Meaning players tend to watch videos and emulate their play styles. The metagame today has been considered as defensive because of the top players play styles to be defensive. No offence to M2k, but when Ken was around players would play adamantly and offensively and learn how to apply pressure to the opponent. And now that Ken is gone, players would play more defensively. Even play with the black colour Marth. I think aggression is the best way to play. Pressure wins games. We have all seen it in different fighting games. In SF third strike, once you get an opponent in a corner, pressure is applied.

Once you play offensively, you will lose the slightest sign of fear. When pressure is applied to a opponent, it will force them to react. Also they will not know what your going to do next since they are in a state of fear. Once you have the pressure on the opponent, keep it on him. After you apply pressure on them, you want to have mix ups to send fear once more to the opponent. And this all starts with having a mindset saying, "I am facing the character not the opponent". Once you say that, you will have no fear in applying pressure onto the opponent. Once the opponent in losing to something they do not know, it definitely has a psychological affect on them.

To reverse pressure, you have to have a counter to get out of a certain situation. Don't think about the player when your in pressure. Always think positive and learn how to rattle your opponent when they are pressure you. Once you rattle them when your in pressure, you will gain a psychological advantage. It can also delay the opponent from reaching a certain point which is a superior advantage. Lets say that I am playing you and I am shield pressuring you and I'm draining your shield down and then I hesitate for a second like I'm going to grab you, you will try to counter me with lets say a spot doge>grab for example. That's instinctive. And once I pressure you again during that match and I see you spot dodge>grab, I am going to take advantage of it. So I know now that your brain is programmed to spot dodge>grab out of pressure so I'm going to fade back and fsmash you after your spot dodge so your grab animation misses. So at this point, you will feel scared and confused. You will not know what option to use once I'm pressuring your shield. So every time I'm pressuring you and you see that I fade back>fsmash, you say to yourself, "Oh my god, he got me" that gives me the psychological advantage. The point is, whether you counter me or not, I'm still applying pressure, thus winning psychologically and winning the match.

Just a little bit of pressure can change the whole game. apply your game plan, apply you maximum human potential, focus on playing the character (not the opponent) and apply all of your knowledge about the game in your matches you will be at a new level. Once you put all of that together, you will achieve victory.

These two videos are great representations of pressure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=_AKVJEOSGRM#t=114s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Omi9MyweC_I#t=130s

john!

Smash Hero
to be perfectly honest, hax's entire post seems like he's taking the problems with falcon as a character and generalizing them to the game as a whole. for example...

***to prevent any confusion, i'm going to elaborate on the exceptions to this rule. the exceptions are Fox, Falco, and Peach (and perfect Yoshi, i suppose). what do these 3 characters have in common? godlike, unparalleled shield pressure that is unorthodox for a Melee character. Fox/Falco/Peach's abnormally good shield pressure stems from their abilities to pump out frame advantage attacks on shield twice as fast as other characters (hence, people lol at attempts to shieldgrab these 3 characters). Fox/Falco have aerial -> shine, while Peach has float-cancelled aerials. take a minute to compare this to other characters' shield pressure. most characters aerial the opponent's shield, then either jab or dashdance around their opponent in an attempt to mindgame them. Fox, Falco and Peach hardly have to mindgame their opponents while they shield pressure them. their shield pressure is, for the most part, autopilot. as a result, playing offense is certainly a viable option with Fox/Falco/Peach. defense is still just as deadly with these characters, though.
just because other characters don't have frame advantage shield pressure doesn't mean that they can't approach. for starters, marth, sheik, and jigglypuff all have moves that cannot be shield grabbed with correct spacing and timing.

even falcon can pressure shields with properly spaced nair, knee to gentleman, etc. and his grab -> punishment game is among the best in the cast, so most characters are forced out of their shields in fear of a grab.

furthermore, shield pressure is NOT autopilot for those three characters. falco needs to change the timing of his aerials on shield, or he will be shieldgrabbed, since there is a window where the opponent can do that.

fox's opponents can do the same for all moves except dair, which they can SDI to get out of fox's shine range for a free grab.

peach's opponents can buffer roll out if she does anything but jab, so when she hits your shield with an FC aerial, it becomes a guessing game of whether peach is going to jab/grab/dsmash/etc. and if they buffer roll out, peach has a hard time punishing unless she predicts it.

falcon players, man...

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
I disagree with many fundamentals of this thread, but I have to go...I'll summarize it briefly.

1: "those skilled in warfare make themselves invincible and then wait for the enemy to become vulnerable. - Sun Tzu"

2: This applies to games.

3: In a seeming paradox, the offensive player will always win the game.

4: Offense equates to control, meaning that the player who controls the game will win.

5: You can control the game by attacking (approaching) or by attacking their attack (camping).

6: The latter, camping, allows your opponent to choose when to attack initially, giving them an advantage.

7: Therefore attacking (approaching) is inherently better.

8: While frame data favors the defender, the defender has more opportunity to make a mistake due to the advantaged gained due to the offensive (controlling) player.

9: The level required to overcome the strategical advantage of attacking with the tactical frame-advantage of defending is one not obtainable by human reaction.

I'll finish writing it later, this is just so my mind stays on track when I'm back.

Kal

Smash Champion
I feel like, save for Dr. Peepee's fantastically well-written and in-depth post, everyone here is oversimplifying the game.

Things like "camping means your opponent gets to decide how and when to attack" are oversimplifications. You must consider what options your opponent has when you camp; if your run-away strategy literally cannot be beaten (e.g. most low tiers vs. Fox), then it's not a sub-par strategy.

What people are doing with a statement like this is making one logical jump too many: if you camp, then your opponent gets to choose how and when to attack. This premise is (mostly) true, however, it does not automatically imply that this is an advantage for the opponent. If your approaches are all incredibly unviable, then it's at least not an advantage.

Veril

Frame Savant
I just want to throw in that perfect reaction times do not, and can not exist. There are absolute human limits to reaction time dictated by nerve conduction speed. No smash player can react reflexively in under 8 frames, even at their absolute peak (and its really almost certain that no smasher has a choice reaction time under 11 frames). There's a 4+ frame delay simply sending the evoked potential from your retina to your visual cortex. Then you need to process that information and then the motor cortex needs to send an impulse to the muscles in your hands. This is a good deal slower and a greater distance for the signal to travel. Even with literally no conscious thought, it is impossible to react within the frame windows some people claim to be able to. YOU DO NOT HAVE A MAGIC NERVOUS SYSTEM! So frustrated with people saying there are like 5 frame reaction times when that isn't even possible at the peak of human potential.

I'm not saying some smashers aren't incredibly fast. Clearly they are. People just very confused about what is and is not possible from a neurological perspective.

That said, I would love to measure the visual and auditory evoked potentials of top smashers playing in tournament. Now all I need is a portable EEG and willing participants :D

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
it does not automatically imply that this is an advantage for the opponent. If your approaches are all incredibly unviable, then it's at least not an advantage.
Actually, it does, unless you're assuming the player not camping is bad at approaching (which you are).

Kal

Smash Champion
Actually, it does
No, it doesn't. Can you read?

If your approaches are all incredibly unviable, then it's at least not an advantage.

unless you're assuming the player not camping is bad at approaching (which you are).
I assume you're questioning my ability to approach, which is cute. Especially since you seem to have derived from my post that my stance is "pro-camp" when it's quite the opposite.

EthereaL

Smash Journeyman
Kal, you seem bitter...

Can you read?
I'd like to direct you to this.

if your approaches are all incredibly unviable, then it's at least not an advantage.
This statement is that, if you approach badly, then camping is not disadvantaged.

So, I said that you assumed that the approaching player was bad (which you did assume in your argument [which was what I meant by my ()'s]).

Kal

Smash Champion
This statement is that, if you approach badly, then camping is not disadvantaged.
No, it's talking about a character's ability to approach. If a character has no capacity for good approaching, then it's not necessarily true that the opponent camping puts him at a disadvantage.

Also amusing that you "direct me" to the statement I quoted in my initial response.

Top Bottom