• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Donkey Kong Social Thread (read first post!)

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
How about replacing the Headbut with an attack that uses DK's arms to put people under the ground? Like, a Hammer Arm Attack or something? It could drastically increase om the range and speed compared to the Headbut. And could work even as a legitimate meteor / spike as an edgeguard.
his forward air is already a meteor smash.
it would just be too redundant to use the same animation for two different moves for the same effect.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
It could just be one arm though. DK's Forward Aerial is probably one of the most satisfying attacks to land in Smash now that we're talking...

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
It could just be one arm though. DK's Forward Aerial is probably one of the most satisfying attacks to land in Smash now that we're talking...
It really is, even with how had it can be to land sometimes. Also the coconut gun for a Fsmash would be cool. I could see it working like Diddy's popgun, where he can only charge it for so long before it blows up in his face. Although if the speed of his actual Fsmash was increased, I'd prefer to keep it.

extremechiton

Smash Lord
NNID
Extremechiton
3DS FC
1590-4719-6526
Switch FC
SW 5498 9796 6766
if the coconut gun is an fsmash, it would be pointless to charge it.

i say: use coconut gun as new forward special, replace dash kick with roll,

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
Instead of his Headbutt (not sure which came this game from if any) Side Special, DK should totally get the Orange Grenade Lob from DK 64.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
You have played Returns right Moon? Know that attack he does when finishing the Tiki leaders? I was thinking of that, but couldn't find a gif.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
You have played Returns right Moon? Know that attack he does when finishing the Tiki leaders? I was thinking of that, but couldn't find a gif.
Oh okay, you mean the whole thing. That would seem more fitting for a Final Smash to me.
An 8+ hit power combo seems crazy for just neutral B. :laugh:

the smash nerd

Smash Ace
NNID
Nick.s3dsWiFi2
3DS FC
0344-9996-3724
Tripple post but who cares? GoldenY is discussing at this moment that DK is more boring and bland than PacMan is. How does that make people here feel? I know nobody is here though...

Anyways! How about a new Side B for DK? I thought of a semi-grappling attack kinda based on this:

have it a fsmash dk get by the smash ball

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Oh okay, you mean the whole thing. That would seem more fitting for a Final Smash to me.
An 8+ hit power combo seems crazy for just neutral B. :laugh:

That would work to. The attack would deliver an instant Star KO :laugh: I like Moon Punch to. Think that one would remind me of you every time I see it to.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412
That would work to. The attack would deliver an instant Star KO :laugh: I like Moon Punch to. Think that one would remind me of you every time I see it to.
LOL I was talking to someone about this a while ago :rotfl:

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
I would give the big ape a new dash attack(The roll from the DKC series). That's all...maybe a new side taunt...and more knockback resistance when using Spinning Kong(Up B).

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I would give the big ape a new dash attack(The roll from the DKC series). That's all...maybe a new side taunt...and more knockback resistance when using Spinning Kong(Up B).

Those are already good ideas man. I approve.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
Brawl DK was perfect. the only problem was D3, MK and olimar.

as long as that annoying grab **** is gone DK would have been top tier.

also need to fix cargo and holding up.
I don't know if he was really that perfect. I love playing him and all, but I can't stand using his dash attack for any reason whatsoever. They really need to do something with that. I mean, it's not as bad as Dedede's, but come on-

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK in Brawl was just SO GOOD at getting KO's! It's really amazing how much easier he can kill compared to the rest of the cast. He can even kill as effectively as the likes of Ike and Ganondorf, which was awesome. DK in Brawl was a real blast to play. Just a big fat blasting shame that chaingrabs a la King Dedede had to ruin him...

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
DK in Brawl was just SO GOOD at getting KO's! It's really amazing how much easier he can kill compared to the rest of the cast. He can even kill as effectively as the likes of Ike and Ganondorf, which was awesome. DK in Brawl was a real blast to play. Just a big fat blasting shame that chaingrabs a la King Dedede had to ruin him...

That's why he is one of my mains! His meteor smashes are so easy to land...except for Headbutt. And using the almost fully charged Giant Punch can be very effective.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
That's why he is one of my mains! His meteor smashes are so easy to land...except for Headbutt. And using the almost fully charged Giant Punch can be very effective.
Yeah, I absolutely LOVE Giant Punch. The super armor it grants upon activation when it is fully charged is just sooo good for a counter attack.

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Yeah, I absolutely LOVE Giant Punch. The super armor it grants upon activation when it is fully charged is just sooo good for a counter attack.

Yes! Take that Falcon Punch! Giant Punch along with Fox's Blaster are my favorite Neutral Specials.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
My personal favorite neutrals are Jigglypuff's Rollout, Giant Punch, and Zelda's Nayru's Love. Because let's face it. The relfection window for Nayru's Love is just so damn NHGNHGHNGh ♥

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
My personal favorite neutrals are Jigglypuff's Rollout, Giant Punch, and Zelda's Nayru's Love. Because let's face it. The relfection window for Nayru's Love is just so damn NHGNHGHNGh ♥

Zelda's Nayru's Love always seems to be the reason why I lose against Zelda players. But I think we can both agree that DK's neutral is better than Falcon's and Ganon's.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
Zelda's Nayru's Love always seems to be the reason why I lose against Zelda players. But I think we can both agree that DK's neutral is better than Falcon's and Ganon's.
Yes, I completely agree. The only thing I don't like about it is that it puts you into stasis if you use it in mid-air. How unfortunate. I still love using it ♥

MSmariosonic

Smash Hero
NNID
kidtendo1996
3DS FC
3566-1932-7732
Switch FC
SW 0383 4539 4118
Yes, I completely agree. The only thing I don't like about it is that it puts you into stasis if you use it in mid-air. How unfortunate. I still love using it ♥

There's no such thing as a perfect move, that's why the stasis is ofcourse. Likewise DK has the flaw that he needs to charge for a stronger punch which is hard to do when facing an opponent with a projectile.

Schoo

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4811-7465-8082
There's no such thing as a perfect move, that's why the stasis is ofcourse. Likewise DK has the flaw that he needs to charge for a stronger punch which is hard to do when facing an opponent with a projectile.
Still, even though some have projectiles, the most satisfying thing when playing DK is completely eating a fully charged Samus blast to the face with your super armor, and smashing her in the dome.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK's Gaint Punch is probably one of the better charge up specials in the game. It was extremely slow in SSB64, but Melee and Brawl really impoved the move.

Komenja

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Komenja
"Princess, we can do this the easy way or the hard way. Either way, I'ma get that butt."

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I don't like the teeth. It makes DK look extremely goofy and weird.

Just compare the next two renders, and tell me which looks more badass:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
The 2nd DK looks better by far. Classic DK/Cranky has been showing teeth since day one and I love it!

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Am not saying which looks better, since the quality of the last render is better. Am just asking, which looks more badass. And I think that's definitely the look Rare left with DK. Rare never really made Donkey Kong look awkward. Nintendo just loves doing it all the time. :rolleyes:

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Oh I thought you said better. I was ignoring the quality of the render regardless. Toothy DK just looks more awesome to me. Neither look particularly bad a$$, seeing that its a smiling gorilla with a neck tie.

Old DK had grapes for toes, wore a skin instead of fur and had the fingers of Mr Burns. He looked great then and still looks ok now, but todays DK just looks better, to me anyway.

Bad a$$ DK exists in jungle beat and the Mario foot ball titles, teeth and all.

What exactly do you want DK to look like? No teeth ever and no pose outside of generic gorilla?

HylianHeroBigBoss

Smash Lord
NNID
HylianHeroSnake
Am not saying which looks better, since the quality of the last render is better. Am just asking, which looks more badass. And I think that's definitely the look Rare left with DK. Rare never really made Donkey Kong look awkward. Nintendo just loves doing it all the time. :rolleyes:
The second one still looks better and more badass, just look how muscular he is. He exudes power, but is lighthearted enough to have fun with it. Rares artwork just doesnt hold up, and there are plenty of awkward looking renders from rare, especially when they just stick with the "beak" look.

DK has always had teeth since back in the arcade, hes looking better than ever. Move past rare

DK has returned, i just wish the smash one looked as good

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
Toothy Grin DK is a not a product of the arcade DK era (where Cranky was the eponymous ape), but rather of the Donkey Kong Country cartoon. The cartoon Toothy Grin then carried over into the Mario spin-offs, where a constant Toothy Grin animation was presumably cheaper than more believable facial expressions, and in Jungle Beat, a hallucinogenic acid trip from Nintendo EAD.

At least in Smash, he's not constantly making the face he is in those bizarre renders, where he looks like one of those carnival game clowns where you throw the ball at their teeth to knock them out.

Top Bottom