• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe Donkey Kong Country Returns!

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I got a Time Attack medal for every level in this game. It was nowhere near easy, since most of the levels I restarted from rushing (even for a TA's standards), but I managed to do it despite the serious frustration.

My medals range from Gold to Silver. I had 2 Bronze medals, but I went back to those levels and did better. Lastly, I think its easier to get the Gold on the vehicle levels, and if you have a CHOICE (key word) between Diddy on your back or Rambi, use Diddy. He's faster.

Ryu Shimazu

Smash Master
NNID
Ryushimmy
3DS FC
5000-5048-5681
I'm @112%. Probably just going to get 200% and quit, because TA offers no reward, and I've never cared for Trials.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I'm @112%. Probably just going to get 200% and quit, because TA offers no reward, and I've never cared for Trials.
Really? Well, that just wasted three weeks of my life since I also don't like TA. D:

I was thinking of playing this game with a new file with Co-Op next, like NSMBW.

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
I'm really starting to hate World 5-K. A lot.

I don't think I have ever been this frustrated in a level before.

EDIT: AND IRONICALLY ENOUGH, I completed it just now. Lol.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Everything Kupo and Silent Wolf have been saying about this game is entirely true.

I rented this piece of **** game like a month ago, got to the last world and didn't even beat it. It was that bad.

It's boring, repetitive, terrible controls, bad music, and the worst thing they did was change the motion of jumping off of a enemies head.

ugh.. how can you honestly sit and play this piece of ****, waggling your little wiimote when you can simply just walk over to your super nintendo, stick in your Donkey Kong Country 2, get the easter egg that the designers put into the game on the first level (because back then they actually cared about us), and do a speed run while listening to the superb music by David Wise?

I was actually hyped for this game, but after the first level I knew it was going to be ****ing gay.

Sorta enjoyed the sunset level or whatever, where Donkey Kong is a silhouette.

HATED THE ANTI-CLIMATIC SAME **** I'VE DONE 8 TIMES IN A ROW BOSS BATTLES, ugh.. there are just so many things I despised about this game.

NO WATER LEVELS?!?!? Barrel levels were BORING as ****.

OMFG SUPER DK!??! LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL For ***** *** little *****es that can't figure out the puzzle on their own? (not that anything in THIS game took remotely any thought at all) And a health bar? Haha... so bad.

DKC2 10/10

DKC 9.5/10

DKC3 6/10

Overall this piece of **** was a 5/10 for me. Worst in the Donkey Kong Series for sure.

I may be a bit bias because of the nostalgia factor I have from playing DKC2 endlessy as a little kid, but honestly play this game then go back to DKC2 or DKC. It's almost impossible not to see the difference. This game was made because we remembered the classic original games, changing it's core mechanics is like a spit in the face to anyone who was a true fan to the earlier releases. Game Reviewing sites giving this a 9/10 or higher really make me angry, it's a average game at best.

Mark my words; it will be forgotten within 2 years.
You're not a bit biased, you are biased. I mean, just because it's much different than the original games doesn't mean it's bad. In my opinion, the only negative thing about the game were the controls and a few cheap deaths, but other than that, I believe this game is worthy of at least an 8/10.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
Your post is above a month late BrawLBlazer. XD

I'm still not finished with Time Trials, in world 7 right now.

BrawLBlazer

Smash Journeyman
Considering buying this. Should I?
If you appreciate a good game being a good game, then yes. If you want an experience exactly like the originals, then no, you'll be disappointed. Nonetheless, DKCR is still a very polished game.

kupo15

Smash Hero
If you don't mind shaking the controller every 2 seconds all the time because you don't have a hacked wii then sure. The game is pretty good for a wii game but it wouldn't have been half (or more) as enjoyable if my wii wasn't hacked

Even though the game itself is good, I think people really have to consider controls and control. This is something we really didn't have to worry about prior to the wii because if you liked the controller feel in your hands then controls were really a concern. But now that we have motion controls I feel that I need to find out if:

The game is actually good
If it is, will the motion controls get in the way
If they are annoying, are there hacks to play with traditional control schemes

WaveLength

Smash Apprentice
Considering buying this. Should I?
Definitely...I recommend having a high patience for its tougher levels or it will chew you up inside...Also, don't expect it to be the same as the previous DKC games since it is handled by a different developer...

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Have people started to hack it already?
I find it to be rather pointless to hack Donkey Kong Country Returns, since it's confirmed that that game does not contain MDL0 files. You need BRRES files to have MDL0 files after all, and this also applies to TEX0 and PLT0 files.

Of course, Super Mario Galaxy 2 has no MDL0 files either, but that didn't stop people from hacking its contents. End result, they found a way to edit that game's levels. Link...

http://www.mario-mods.com/2011/01/smg-level-editor.html

kupo15

Smash Hero
Have people started to hack it already?
Yup. There has been codes since the first day. You can expect every big released game to have at least the basic codes in the first couple of days such as infinite lives, ect
Good thing lots of people didnt like the controls and decided to remap them to buttons only controller

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Hey everyone, I just read an article from Gameinformer online that said that there aren't any plans for a sequel right now. Just thought I should say it.

§leepy God

Smash Master
I guess because of the mixed fan base, or they just didn't want to do another sequel. xD

I guess RS will stick back to Metroid?

Luco

Smash Hero
NNID
dracilus
3DS FC
2638-1462-5558
I read the first few pages.... Couldn't find whether you can put the SD card with HomeBrew on it yet. It says it will stop the wii working if it finds it. Any idea when to put that card back in?

burritomaster

Smash Rookie
U KNOW i get it?

WHEN PEOPLE describe donkey kong country returns as a crappy styled game,how is it crappy?OKAY their maybe be some boring levels,dont get me wrong!WERE NOT ALL PERFECT OF MAKING games,i should know that!I'VE BEEN artist from tragic day one!

GET UR STORY STRAIGHT,nintendo and Konami are classics
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=432_vLFLdq8

Top Bottom