• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

dolphin running slowly

fencingboy101

Smash Rookie
hi i recently started playing melee on dolphin, and it's only running at 25-40 fps. i was wondering if there was any way to speed it up. it might just be my very low end pc though.

also whenever i go on FoD it almost crashes the emulator and the framerate drops to 0-2 fps

Pauer

The Pauerful
You might want to play with your settings a bit. Here is the official dolphin performance guide. You will have to do a bunch of trial and error here probably. The "backend" setting will probably make a big difference.
It might be useful to post your specs.

vlz

Smash Rookie
Post your specs, This can be done by going into Device Manager, (Type it in on start) Then going to either Processors, or Display Adapters. I would say for melee you at least need a 1.5-1.9 processor to run it at 30, but I may be wrong. I can run it just fine, but that's only because I have a GTX 970 and and i7.

fencingboy101

Smash Rookie
my specs are

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2830 @2.16GHz

and for some reason it says that twice.
hope this helps.

Delta Chae

The Observer
my specs are

Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU N2830 @2.16GHz

and for some reason it says that twice.
hope this helps.
It's definitely your CPU that's the problem, that and what I can only assume is the lack of the discrete GPU in the system as well since computers that have processors that low on the spectrum usually don't have them.

fencingboy101

Smash Rookie
It's definitely your CPU that's the problem, that and what I can only assume is the lack of the discrete GPU in the system as well since computers that have processors that low on the spectrum usually don't have them.
i don't know what this is worth, but when i'm running it if i bring up task manager it says I'm only using 50-70% of its power. so my CPU isn't being pushed to the max. *btw i'm VERY casual so i barely understand what that meant.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I have no dedicated GPU and a 1.8 GHz Intel processor, but I can run it fine so it's possible his backend could be the problem.

Last edited:

Delta Chae

The Observer
i don't know what this is worth, but when i'm running it if i bring up task manager it says I'm only using 50-70% of its power. so my CPU isn't being pushed to the max. *btw i'm VERY casual so i barely understand what that meant.
Basically: Intel produces different types of processors for consumer use. For simplicity's sake let's just say there are the Celeron series, the Pentium series, and the Core series. The Celeron series is the weakest of the entire line with only two cores and very poor single core performance. Pretty much only good for internet browsing and document writing. The reason it's only using 50% of your power is because it's slamming one core with the entire process and the one core is struggling to run it properly. It can't use the other core to help run the program because it's emulating GameCube hardware which only used a single core to run games. The other 20% can be accounted for by any background applications you have running.

I have no dedicated GPU and a 1.8 GHz Intel processor, but I can run it fine so it's possible his backend could be the problem.
Definitely a possibility but in this case the lack of dedicated GPU isn't helping matters.

Last edited:

Dolla Pills

Smash Ace
Yeah so if your single core performance is poor you're gonna have a tough time running Dolphin well. Unfortunate, but your computer doesn't seem equipped to handle it and there's not much you can do short of getting a new processor/computer in general

Last edited:

fencingboy101

Smash Rookie
i tried messing with backend, enabling dual core processing, and fiddled with almost every setting (except for overclocking the CPU for obvious reasons) and nothing works. do i have any hope?

Delta Chae

The Observer
i tried messing with backend, enabling dual core processing, and fiddled with almost every setting (except for overclocking the CPU for obvious reasons) and nothing works. do i have any hope?
Dual core processing isn't really going to help as Dolphin only has the ability to use a single core since it's emulating GameCube hardware which only had a single CPU core.

Top Bottom