• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Online - Melee Netplay

TheCatPhysician

Smash Ace
I just ordered a mayflash and can't wait to try this out. As a mostly isolated Alaskan, I've been dying for melee online for years and this could be a total game changer for me.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Updated main post: Now have all the revision 3 features are in Revision 2 with an INI. People no longer need a hacked version of Melee to easily sync up.

This is using Action Replay codes, some of them I found around the net, some on smashboards, and some I made myself (because well, I couldn't make the actual ones work on dolphin.) This will make organizing tournaments a lot easier in the future, because revision 2 is a widely owned version of Melee that doesn't require patching/recompiling to legally make.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Umm, Massive and IE are doing a much bigger modification of the game than simple AR codes. As much as I know our goals are similar, they also have much bigger ambitions for game modification and integration into a new front-end, where as we're still using base Dolphin for everything and a very simple input based netplay.

Either way, I added more codes to the INI, the only issue is that I can't quite make three of the messages not get triggered. No matter what, Kirby Hat 4, Kirby Hat 5 and the Marin trophy like to pop up when I start the game. If anyone has any ideas on how to disable them, I'd be willing to listen, because I can't quite track down the memory addresses triggering them.

foreversamsam

Smash Rookie
I started a melee vs battle (in order to get mewtwo) with no time limit. Now I don't know how to stop it! I'm playing Super Smash bros. Melee for the gamecube. However, I'm playing it on my computer (on a program called Dolphin) because I don't actually own a gamecube. I know there's probably a really simple way to get out of this, but for some reason I'm really stuck and I can't find the answer anywhere.

oukd

Smash Lord
Premium
press start
L+R+A+Start

i dont think that registers as a 20 hour match btw LOL
should have done a 1 stock match and SD'd

alternatively, download one of the memcards in the 1st post to unlock everything

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Alright, got some new things for people. First of all, we've officially launched our Global Melee youtube page, featuring recorded online matches. Our main feature on the page is having the Lagtacs II footage editted and put into watchable formats. There was a lot of dead air and time between matches, so I wouldn't recommend going through the raw footage on twitch. Oh yeah, we have a twitch.tv page too we use for streaming. The main post will be updated with everything by the time you see this.

http://www.youtube.com/user/GlobalMelee
http://www.twitch.tv/Global_Melee

Lastly, we're launching a tournament to help get people into netplay. The Global Melee Biweeklies will be a great way to tuneup, practice, and get into the tournament spirit without the cost and troubles of travel. While it is primarily a North American event at this point, if there is significant interest, we could also start a European Region. Right now, Europeans/Other Regions can join the main bracket, and if we get enough will split it up, if not, you may be experience a little bit more latency than when playing in the same region.

Please sign up at http://challonge.com/GMB or PM me if you don't want to make a challonge account, and I'll add you myself. Thank you for your time.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
I wont lie, a lot of the incentive is gone, but we're still at it.
If you need some encouragement, just know that we're all still eagerly awaiting even an alpha of SSMBO!
As you can see from this thread, match finding is the hardest part of Melee netplay. With your planned system, it'd become the most fun part of it!

Zyzyoro

Smash Rookie
Any news on getting better stability for Project M on Dolphin Netplay? I managed to create an .ISO for Project M using a Brawl .ISO so I don't need to use Gecko or install WAD to run PM. As far as my tests go for netplay, it desyncs very quickly over dual core. It seems you can play a few games with dual-core off before it desyncs though.

I think we're not allowed to openly distribute ISOs here so I'll just link to how to create a Project M 2.6 ISO so we can get this tested more.

http://gbatemp.net/threads/ssbb-mod-iso-builder.351177/

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Project M tends to work better when you use a fresh dolphin; when that happens, it'll basically sync forever. Otherwise, it's iffy. It may be because the modded isos aren't exactly the same (check their MD5 maybe?) or because Wii netplay just isn't perfect yet. I don't know, it's not something we can handle without the actual devs doing the fixes.

Zyzyoro

Smash Rookie
I've been testing with some friends with the same exact ISO's. Md5's match. One issue I've been encountering is starting in the wrong positions when the map loads. It seems to happen with dual-core off sometimes too.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
That could be caused by some settings problems in Wii netplay. As I said, it's very, very, very difficult to setup Wii netplay properly. When I have gotten it working, it's worked fine though. Those times are very rare, though.

I really don't know as much about Wii netplay, and why it would desync, and neither do the dolphin devs. If you're both using a fresh dolphin, on single core, with identical settings and no save files, and it's still happening, there's really not much I can do other than test the ISO method. IF you wanna talk more about settings and ideas, come check out our IRC, and I'll talk in detail about what I have tried, and when it's worked.

vim8292

Smash Rookie
Do we have any type of ladder in place/in development? I would be willing to get something together/join in the effort.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
We don't have a ladder system in place, but we do have one in development. We do not have an ETA on it yet, because it is a very big project, and making the emulator itself work better is the top priority.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Got excited when I realized I had a computer with bluetooth and then realized netplay doesn't support Wiimote (Classic Controller Pro)... *sigh*

guess I have to suffer more Project: M Wi-Fi

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Ummm. If you connect your Wiimote via bluetooth, use a program called PPJoy and Glovepie, you can translate your Wiimote + Classic Controller into something Dolphin's pad can read, and use your classic controller pro. I did for years before getting a GC adapter.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Ummm. If you connect your Wiimote via bluetooth, use a program called PPJoy and Glovepie, you can translate your Wiimote + Classic Controller into something Dolphin's pad can read, and use your classic controller pro. I did for years before getting a GC adapter.
why. don't. you. quote. me. because. I. could've. read. this. EARLIER!

But, really. Kinda irritating when people don't quote me so I get an alert. ;_; I decided to come back anyways to see if anyone has commented to me (even if not quoted). WELP, THANKS! I'll try this!

Also, I'm using my dads Mac OSX. The best computer I have in the house, really because I can play LoL with high graphics *ahem* anyways, I hope it runs pretty well on the Mac... thanks for the info!

Also, what if I connect my Classic Controller to the computer via bluetooth and I want to play Project: M on my Wii? Will it connect to my computer? Maybe there's a way to turn it off when I need to, I'll look into that.

Actually, can I get a link to these sites? I don't want to click on the wrong site...I just want to make sure I go to the right one. Also, is there a version for MAC?

Edit: -_- I don't think it supports mac... I hate macs. I see Windows 2000, Windoes 98, Windows XP. I saw hope again, now it's gone...

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
why. don't. you. quote. me. because. I. could've. read. this. EARLIER!

But, really. Kinda irritating when people don't quote me so I get an alert. ;_; I decided to come back anyways to see if anyone has commented to me (even if not quoted). WELP, THANKS! I'll try this!

Also, I'm using my dads Mac OSX. The best computer I have in the house, really because I can play LoL with high graphics *ahem* anyways, I hope it runs pretty well on the Mac... thanks for the info!

Also, what if I connect my Classic Controller to the computer via bluetooth and I want to play Project: M on my Wii? Will it connect to my computer? Maybe there's a way to turn it off when I need to, I'll look into that.

Actually, can I get a link to these sites? I don't want to click on the wrong site...I just want to make sure I go to the right one. Also, is there a version for MAC?

Edit: -_- I don't think it supports mac... I hate macs. I see Windows 2000, Windoes 98, Windows XP. I saw hope again, now it's gone...
Quoting this time :p There are other ways to get the controller to connect, i just don't have a Mac to test them. I'll look around; we have other MAC netplayers. If you could give me your processor specifications (model, speed, etc.) I'll just figure out if you're able to run it or not so you don't have to worry. Mac is by far the slowest of the OSes when it comes to running dolphin, so the requirements that I put aren't entirely accurate.

You can also use a cheap classic controller converter, I'd actually recommend it over the crappy programs. There's also the possibility of Project M netplay, but in all likelihood you won't be able to directly use "real" wiimote settings in dolphin for that due to the way wiimotes work. I hope the best for you, though.

(Above text is edited because I was wrong about something I said)

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
Quoting this time :p There are other ways to get the controller to connect, i just don't have a Mac to test them. I'll look around; we have other MAC netplayers. If you could give me your processor specifications (model, speed, etc.) I'll just figure out if you're able to run it or not so you don't have to worry. Mac is by far the slowest of the OSes when it comes to running dolphin, so the requirements that I put aren't entirely accurate.

You can also use a cheap classic controller converter, I'd actually recommend it over the crappy programs. There's also the possibility of Project M netplay, but in all likelihood you won't be able to directly use "real" wiimote settings in dolphin for that due to the way wiimotes work. I hope the best for you, though.

(Above text is edited because I was wrong about something I said)
I'm not sure exactly where to check that, probably system preferences...but by speed you mean RAM? I'm not sure how to check the model, but all I know about it is "Mac OSx"(?). It's a desktop for sure, not a laptop.

I'll try anyways:

Processor: 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

I found this. ._.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
That's a pretty old processor. On Windows (which runs dolphin the best) you may be able to get away with running dualcore and getting full speed. But on Mac, there's really no guarantee it'll work there. Best thing you can do is try to run the game with frame limiter off and see how far above 60 fps you can get on stages.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
I'm about to get a new laptop with a primary focus being melee online:
In order to stay in budget, this is what it's looking like.
CPU: Intel i3-3227u dual core processor @ 1.9GHz
GPU: Intel HD 4000
4 GB RAM, 500 HDD

Does anyone here still get great results playing with the stupid integrated Intel HD 4000 because of your CPU?
Which of my above components must be upgraded?
If needed, I can easily upgrade the i3 to an i5-3337u as well as the 4 GB RAM to a 6 GB and still have access to a large selection.
But if I need a dedicated GPU, I'm just limited to customizing a laptop through toshiba.com. Quite hard finding a computer that's intel CPU, NVidia 7, a great price, AND windows 7(don't wanna deal with windows 8 aero lag).
Thank you all. I love you long time.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Definitely go for the biggest processor possible. And even the smallest nVidia card will give you a big boost in performance over Integrated! But yeah, it's possible to play a on 4000; but you need to be a lot more careful for slowdown. It's not easy, you can't turn up the resolution, and you may just experience lag for no reason.

Also, with laptop i3s, you have to be careful. While it should reach full speed, it's by no means a guarantee. I'd heavily recommend a laptop i5 if possible. But, if you're on a budget, sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Definitely go for the biggest processor possible. And even the smallest nVidia card will give you a big boost in performance over Integrated! But yeah, it's possible to play a on 4000; but you need to be a lot more careful for slowdown. It's not easy, you can't turn up the resolution, and you may just experience lag for no reason.

Also, with laptop i3s, you have to be careful. While it should reach full speed, it's by no means a guarantee. I'd heavily recommend a laptop i5 if possible. But, if you're on a budget, sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

Your wisdom is much appreciated. I grew up on consoles and somehow reached early 20's not knowing much about the way computers work.
I can do the i5 no problem.
Is having a dedicated NVidia(in this case it would be a 2GB GDDR3 GeForce GT 740M) most noticeable for running SSBM in high res full screen/playing on FoD?
Like, would you agree that you would achieve greater FPS fidelity by not caring at all about full screen and playing at 1x normal size resolution on an i5 with Intel HD 4000 than on an i3 with NVidia GT 740M?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
the Geforce would allow you two things over the onboard. 1: You'll never be GPU bottlenecked, meaning you'll always have the higher framerate fidelity, even at high resolutions vs the HD 4000, and, 2: Full support into Dolphin 4.0 and 5.0; plus better speeds right now. The HD 4000 just kinda sucks for dolphin. It's possible to use if you're careful, but a lot of games will just max out the thing, and Melee isn't exactly great on it.

FoD isn't affected by GPU, but, even at 1x resolution, no full screen, and no special effects, having the nVidia will make sure you maintain 60 fps, where as on an HD 4000 you may need frameskip, which sucks for competitive play. Also, OpenGL plugin is 15 - 20% faster on a nVidia card, meaning that a lot of games (and even stages in Melee) will be playable on the nVidia where as the HD 4000 would slow down your processor.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
All I can say is:
**** yar, let's build mah first gaming device!

Oh, yeah. And do I have this right?
Mayflash, raphnet, and basically any other GC to usb adapter out there introduces a few frames of lag.
Dolphin on Windows 8 also introduces just pretty much the same frames of lag that you cannot do anything about.
Playing on an xbox 360 controller circumvents both of these obstacles.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
I'd say the Raphnet is as close to perfect as possible on Windows 7, according to members, where as Mayflash is cheaper, but may introduce some minor latency to the controller. 360 controller will never have any lag.

Windows 8 + Xbox 360 controller will not have lag, apparently, but if you're using a GC adapter, you may run into unavoidable latency on the controls. It may be minor, I'm not entirely sure, as I don't have Windows 8.

AceDudeyeah

Smash Ace
Toshibadirect.com lets you apply multiple coupon codes???

HELLO NVIDIA GT 740M, 3rd gen i5, 6GB RAM, 750 HDD, AND WINDOWS 7 OPTION, aaall for $650.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
hmm. i play melee on my PC using windows 8 x64 and a mayflash adapter and i don't recall noticing any frame lag. maybe i'm just insensitive, but i'm the type of person who can't use a computer with any sort of HDTV or wireless mouse because of the input delay.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Moving to a new build, 3.5-1765, will allow greater stability in settings as well. Otherwise, it's the first step toward the server/client system. More information will be in the first post. This build should fix performance regressions in 3.5-1655

bearsfan092

Smash Journeyman
Any tips for reducing input lag? I feel like it's something that can't really be helped much for a given setup. There's a slight amount of lag just playing offline, but it's like playing an LCD through component cables (playable). I just finished up a quick session with a buffer of 4 and thought it was pretty unplayable. I was lucky enough to play someone with a buffer of 1-2 which was enough to be functional, but I can't get that buffer with most people.

Just about ready to give up on Melee netplay :/

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
It can be a lot of reasons that it's having latency. Let's face it, the main problem is that you're having latency offline. Offline, latency should be about the same as a Gamecube on a CRT (give or take a quarter of a frame, sometimes PC can be faster!)

But, regardless, check your monitor on http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ and make sure your motherboard is high performance; if it has crappy specs, it can cause lag. As well, check your keyboard on dolphin off netplay, and see if you still feel LCD lag. If you do, then your monitor or motherboard is the problem. There are a lot of low-end parts and pieces that can cause the netplay experience to be less than optimal. Also remember, Windows Aero can introduce lag on some setups.

himynameisruss

Smash Journeyman
Any tips for reducing input lag? I feel like it's something that can't really be helped much for a given setup. There's a slight amount of lag just playing offline, but it's like playing an LCD through component cables (playable). I just finished up a quick session with a buffer of 4 and thought it was pretty unplayable. I was lucky enough to play someone with a buffer of 1-2 which was enough to be functional, but I can't get that buffer with most people.

Just about ready to give up on Melee netplay :/

if you're running the game at a constant FPS, it's most likely you're TV/monitor. what are you playing it on?

i have no lag running on my BenQ XL2420T.

Fishaman P

Smash Apprentice
My Raphnet lag is noticeable, but I wouldn't be able to blame it for sucking.
With Aero disabled, it's 2 frames of input lag at most, usually 1. Only experienced eyes could even catch this lag.

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Yeah; I'd have to recommend the raphnet for the lowest possible input latency. It also could be your monitor, but from what I'm hearing the raphnet is just better. We need to have someone get both and compare them. Anyone wanna volunteer?

JMC4789

Smash Journeyman
Just to let everyone know, we're hosting our second Biweekly tournament this weekend. We will be having a stream going, recording matches, and full commentary on the matches that are streamed. For those of you who are new, who think you can win, or simply want to watch.

Sign up for the August 24th Tournament is here: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/K6gI38Ax3m
The tournament thread is here: http://smashboards.com/threads/global-melee-biweekly-tournament-thread.339519/
We will be having our tournament streamed on: http://www.twitch.tv/global_melee

We'll be setting up commentators for the tournament, and other things in the coming week.

Feel free to bring any questions in the tournament thread or on our IRC Channel at https://qchat.rizon.net/?channels=dolphin-ssbm&uio=Nz10cnVlJjk9MzU3fe

Top Bottom