• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin Blade Spike?

Proverbs

Smash Lord
So, I'm not sure exactly what happened, but in a battle with my friend, playing as Zelda, with me playing as Marth, he was edgehogging. So, I come back with my Dolphin Blade and all of a sudden the game acts like I hit him into the stage and he plummets straight downward, ending in a spike. We both sorta freaked out. It's possible that he let go of the stage at that moment, but he doesn't think he was going to. He was trying to rolldodge on there or something. But yeah, does that normally happen?

Spire

III
BRoomer
Something similar happened while I was playing as Ganondorf against Dedede on The Halberd stage. I was knocked off the platform (while it was flying around, not grounded), and then I side-b to recover, but ended up connecting the attack with Dedede - hurling him straight downwards, through the platform and to his death. Strange thing about the platform is that you can pass through it going upwards, but you can't drop through it. I guess it's a surefire way to land a couple of cheap kills with Ganondorf on that stage.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
I don't mean to nag but isn't it called the Dolphin slash? I like nicknames and all (i call his up+b the "wind scar" and his nair the "backlash"Im just asking cuz we don't wanna give the marth bashers out there any more reasons to say marth is gay. (Curse you marth bashers!!!!, Curse YOOOUUUUUU!!!!)

Proverbs

Smash Lord
All right, now that my questions have been answered--a different thing that I've noticed. Don't know if anyone will see this, but:

Before you start reading, I do have a video of this, I just can't upload it, but I can send it so someone else can. Well, one day I was playing my friend as Marth; he was playing Metaknight. So, I think basically what happened was after I hit him off the edge of the stage, I jumped off to spike him. He dodged it and made it to the ledge. I used my mid-air jump and Dolphin Blade'ed to get back to the stage. I was a little off both horizontally and vertically (being to the right of the edge and a little below it). He edgehogged. Here comes the interesting part, though. I was clearly out of reach of the edge, and he waited a little and then rolled on. But Marth must have had some ridiculous hangtime AND reach for the edge considering that he still grabbed it! If Marth were real, he would have made up for about six inches to a whole foot in this edgegrab. The reason I post this is because this might give some insight into the critical length Marth can be from the ledge, as well as point out the hangtime of Dolphin Blade. Out of curiosity: does this normally happen? My friend and I freaked out and ended the match to save it, because it was entirely unexpected.

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
Yea this happens a lot too. Lots of people misjudge how long they have to edgehog until the person, namely Marth, cant grab the ledge. Marth is floaty so this happens a lot. (the end of his up b has him turn around b4 he starts to fall if i remember correctly.)

uremog

Smash Ace
i think the problem is the difference between melee and brawl. edgehogging ends immediately when you roll and the "sweetspot" (lol) is huge. everyone can snap to the edge from a mile away.

hizzlum

Smash Journeyman
Its Marth's new killing move the b-up edgeguard(should be its officail name). You get super easy kills with this if you hit with the base of it when you are under the stage. It is especially easy to do against the star fox animals and get 99% of all times will get you the kill

BUNI

Smash Apprentice
I don't mean to nag but isn't it called the Dolphin slash? I like nicknames and all (i call his up+b the "wind scar" and his nair the "backlash"Im just asking cuz we don't wanna give the marth bashers out there any more reasons to say marth is gay. (Curse you marth bashers!!!!, Curse YOOOUUUUUU!!!!)
Are you serious? Whats wrong with the idea of a great character being gay? have you seen his standing animation? THAT is gay, trust me i know. Besides, he is too pretty to be straight .

^.^w00t gay Marth!^.^

Top Bottom