• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does the Cpu Copy your moves?????

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
Ok i've notice this several times while i'm playing, I will be using link for example fighting angainst myself just to waist time or to see what flaws are in my attack, then out of nowhere i come up with this awesome combo (woot!!!) seconds later he does it. :mad:

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
No. The computer AI does not have the ability to learn.

What probably happened was you became aware of a combo that the computer already uses, and only noticed that the computer uses it after you know it.

damage incorperated

Smash Apprentice
happens to me all the time, even with simple things. if i miss a move, they go out of theyre way to do the same move right after i miss.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
Does your awesome combo look something like this? A, a, a, a, a, a, a, a, jump, Fair, F-smash? That's the only thing CPU's does, spamming A-attacks.

EDIT: Oh, btw, they can do ONE thing more. They can figure out where your character are on the stage, then calculate out what to do to attack it. That's when the A-attacks come in.

craiigg

Smash Lord
cpus physically cannot learn a thing you do. they're fully programmed, their AI cannot intake your actionss

Sage07

Smash Apprentice
I understand the points that most of u have stated "That they can't learn" i too know that but i am just beging to question that, that's all. It's just that I remember when i first started fighting a level 9 they didn't do have the S..t they do now. And as for my combo you asked about the A button is only used twice, ^_^

Twin Dreams

Smash Ace
The computer will generally always move towards you.

It will calculate the best move to use. (given your placement in relation to it and which move will land most of its hitboxes on you.)

That's all it knows.

How do I know for sure?

Spend X amount of hours playing fox. Never use your blaster. Play fox. Your fox will....

Take two steps. Shoot twice. Take two steps. Shoot twice. until it gets to you.

Conclusion:

I actually hacked every gamecube in the world for this to happen.

Also, another compelling argument against PC AI.

PC luigi and the mystery of ^B.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
CPU's add point values to moves. If a move works. It gets points. If it fails. It doesn't. CPU's learn in a very crude matter, your habits will become theirs.

Andromeda

Smash Lord
lvl 9 cpu r better than pros...
I wonder if pros would do as good against lvl 9 CPU's as against humans. Stupid post, I know, but it just came up to my mind when I read that post. I mean, CPU's doesn't use mindgames. Will the pros be as good then, as their own mindgames probably won't work against the CPU's?

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
I wonder if pros would do as good against lvl 9 CPU's as against humans. Stupid post, I know, but it just came up to my mind when I read that post. I mean, CPU's doesn't use mindgames. Will the pros be as good then, as their own mindgames probably won't work against the CPU's?

At first they'll do dumb stuff, then they will remember that they're playing CPU's, predict every one of their moves and totally **** them. So yes.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I think CPUs learn once you beat the crap out of them 81times in a row. I beat them bout..... 78 times before I did Mario vs Luigi (me Mario) that Luigi gained a Mind, normally Luigis end up SDing themsselves with the Green Missile, this one was smart, it pulled off combos like my Luigi(I use Mario, Luigi, and Bowser) and I beat it with 1 stock left in a 3 stcok match, normally I have 2 left by the time I beat a lv.9

Reese

Smash Journeyman
While fighting a lvl. 9 Link as Marth, I would jump off and Fair him when he tries to recover. Recently, the lvl. 9 Link has started to jump off the stage and Fair me, so he kills me and ends up SDing because he cant recover after the Fair...

Best101

Smash Ace
That's a different type of learning, as it's not the applying of techniques. A lot of characters also suicide at the bottom part of Hyrule if you shield their attack.
That's proof enough that they don't think. The comps don't adapt to your fighting style. What's happening is that you're starting to observe your opponent more (it happens when you get better, and try to use mindgames), and you notice things about the CPU that you didn't realize before.

They respond the same way whenever the situation fits. Take Captain Falcon for an example. Start a match on FD and stand near the ledge. Hold your shield and CF will down grab you. After that press the jump button as fast as possible and watch CF suicide himself. Do it again 10,000 times and you'll get the same results everytime, try it ;)

Slhoka

Smash Lord
If you want a proof that CPUs do not evolve, start the game with no memory card inserted.
Then unlock Marth without using a single avanced move (= play with every single starter in 1 stock match and suicide).
Then, go to classic mode, set the level to hard or very hard, and wait until you have to fight someone on Peach's Castle. Wait for the CPU on one side of the stage, and then, go to the opposite side of the central tower. Wait for the CPU to come, and do a F-Smash when it's on the opposite side of the tower. You'll hit with a tipper, and the CPU will walltech it (not always, but quite often), although you never did a single tech before.
So CPUs do not evolve, it's just you who are now able to notice when it performs an advanced move.

BTW, you can also test it in Adventure mode. The advantage is that you're sure to have a fight on Peach Castle. But you also have to beat the Yoshi's before, without advanced move if you want the test to be perfect.

Witchking_of_Angmar

Smash Lord
Slowly starting to enjoy my mothertongue again. :)
That's proof enough that they don't think. The comps don't adapt to your fighting style. What's happening is that you're starting to observe your opponent more (it happens when you get better, and try to use mindgames), and you notice things about the CPU that you didn't realize before.

They respond the same way whenever the situation fits. Take Captain Falcon for an example. Start a match on FD and stand near the ledge. Hold your shield and CF will down grab you. After that press the jump button as fast as possible and watch CF suicide himself. Do it again 10,000 times and you'll get the same results everytime, try it ;)
I'm still pretty sure that Marth cpu's never used to jump out and edgeguard with nairs and recover, but w/e. Also, whenever the CPU c falcon uses side b, right after he dj's and either kenees or does up b, regardless of your position on the stage.

b.wood5474

Smash Cadet
well i heard that battle cpu isnt good for honing your smash skills. you get into some really bad habits with the way you combo to the way you play all together. i have made this grave mistake and went to my first tourney and pretty much had my but handed to me. but now i know and i only play with the most hardcore of smashers in my area. (ive gotten way better.) there isnt much for me to say but cpu's are not good to fight with. at least if you dont want to get serious with the game.

Smash Ace
I used to be able to egeguard a couple of particular computers, but one day, playing the same way, one of them actually found a way to counteract it.

Thus, I think they learn, jsut not that much.

craiigg

Smash Lord
what part of 'it is impossible for the CPUs to learn ANYTHING from us, their behaviour is completely programmed' did you not understand? was it the impossible or the anything? =S
think sons!

_Phloat_

Smash Champion
Other way around for me really..

Im screwing around, and the cpu shines me...

Time for 5 shinespike kills >.>

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Does your awesome combo look something like this? A, a, a, a, a, a, a, a, jump, Fair, F-smash? That's the only thing CPU's does, spamming A-attacks.

EDIT: Oh, btw, they can do ONE thing more. They can figure out where your character are on the stage, then calculate out what to do to attack it. That's when the A-attacks come in.
No! Hoe about up B.

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
The reason CPUs seem to act differently in certain situations is probably because you've changed your playstyle recently. For example, i'm pretty sure marth will always full jump nair you if you hang around above him and slightly away. So if you normally play a ground-based game, and then suddenly pick up peach and start hovering over the marth CPU waiting for attack opportunities, you'll experience a sudden burst of "nair assaults" and think the computer itself changed, when in reality the only thing that changed are the conditions.

Gerbality

Smash Journeyman
if cpus did learn, then hal would have bragged about it. the game itself would take more memory than what it already does(which is little)

Reese

Smash Journeyman
I understand thats its very unlikely for computers to learn. But the lvl. 9 bowser sometimes does fairs of the level and does adouble jump and then fortresses back to the stage; I have never seen bowser do this before I learned advanced techs. Maybe he slipped off by accident?

Once I actually got shine spiked by a computer fox, when I was playing fox. He threw me forward off the stage, and I immediately forward b'd back onto the stage, and he spiked me in the middle of my forward b. However, cpu fox shines after all of his throws, so getting shine spiked was my own fault.

Best101

Smash Ace
I used to be able to egeguard a couple of particular computers, but one day, playing the same way, one of them actually found a way to counteract it.

Thus, I think they learn, jsut not that much.
It's not the computer it's you -_-. The timing of the attacks you make, the position you and the computer are at makes a difference.

Top Bottom