• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does SSB4 need a "retro rep"?

Will SSB4 include a "retro rep"?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Erotic&Heretic

Smash Master
Bah! Such standard picks. My personal retro picks are Devil and Saki, because they'd be awesome and have cool playstyles, Saki using a sword and blaster at the same time while being extremely agile and Devil being able to manipulate the environment. Plus, you know you want it:

View attachment 7367
Well, I do not consider Saki to be a retro character. Old for sure, but not retro.

But I DO want Saki.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
Well, I do not consider Saki to be a retro character. Old for sure, but not retro.

But I DO want Saki.
Honestly, who doesn't? He fits in great with the cast and would revive one of Ninty's only shooting franchises, which make money.
Oh, Blue's here... Uh... Prince Sable, Anna and blue.
Nailed it.

3Bismyname

Smash Champion
my top 2 picks are Lip and Muddy

my realistic picks are Takamaru and Mach Rider

my out there picks would be Captain N, Mike Jones and 8 bit Donkey Kong

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Hmm... Sakurai considers Saki a supporting character?

Sakurai: "After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!"

No Control

Smash Apprentice
Hmm... Sakurai considers Saki a supporting character?

Sakurai: "After all, this game does let you enjoy a dream cast of supporting characters!"
I think it means the game's selection of supporting characters as opposed to Nintendo's selection of supporting characters as a whole. That's how I read it, anyway.

FirstBlade

Smash Journeyman
Though I don't support Donbe and Hikari, Shin Onigashima could use a cool revival. It could be an action-adventure mystery type game with some touchscreen features! I'm almost positive Nintendo does not have its own "mystery" type game yet...sadly this will probably never happen. Other characters that I can see having unique revivals would be Takamaru (fast-paced version of Zelda?), Mach Rider (futuristic yet gritty open world shooter/runner hybrid?), Prince Sable (top-down adventure game?) and Startropics (Zelda in paradise :awesome:). Also, where is my amazing new Ice Climber platformer game? SO MUCH POTENTIAL!

I certainly hope so! It isn't even necessary to me that new retro characters get a Pit-like revival, though I'd imagine the success of KI:U might convince Sakurai to update them similarly.

I'm still hoping it's Mach Rider. The game wasn't so great, but I'd love to see the series get rebranded. His Melee trophy sported an intricate redesign that seems to have been used nowhere else; it's like Sakurai had his eye on reviving Mach Rider at one point. It's just curious that he skipped over him again in Brawl.

Tetra's Tracker

Smash Journeyman
Need? No, certainly not. The same way we never needed a new Mario character, a new third-party or a new WTF character. No character is ever really needed. However would one be cool and would one be welcome? Almost certainly when you consider how many great retro Nintendo characters there are and how big a potential some of these characters have. I could easily see the likes of Lip, Mike Jones, Takamaru, Duck Hunt Dog etc. fitting right into SSB and being fantastic fighters, much like fellow-retros Ice Climbers, Mr G&W, Pit and R.O.B. did before them.

Halfhead

Smash Journeyman
The more I hear about Takamaru, the more I like his chances. I'd also like to see his game translated for virtual console soon. Some voice inside me, however, finds it very hard to say that he has a chance. Americans and Europeans just don't know who this dude is and I'd be surprised if the average Japanese teen game did.

Sakurai had his chance with Lip. She wasn't even in the Forbidden Seven meaning that she didn't even make to the chopping block. I don't see her attending this Smash.

Little Mac will be in the game. I feel it in my arthritis. There is almost nothing against him in terms of logical arguments.

Muddy Mole is nothing.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
The more I hear about Takamaru, the more I like his chances. I'd also like to see his game translated for virtual console soon. Some voice inside me, however, finds it very hard to say that he has a chance. Americans and Europeans just don't know who this dude is and I'd be surprised if the average Japanese teen game did.

Sakurai had his chance with Lip. She wasn't even in the Forbidden Seven meaning that she didn't even make to the chopping block. I don't see her attending this Smash.

Little Mac will be in the game. I feel it in my arthritis. There is almost nothing against him in terms of logical arguments.

Muddy Mole is nothing.
I just don't see Takamaru. He's another sword user, albeit with a katana, which would make him a fast sword user, along the likes of Marth. Little Mac I would LOVE to have in, and Muddy Mole's game is pretty decent, you should get it on eShop, it might change your opinion.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
nah, having a retro character for the sake of having a retro is silly in my eyes. I'd love to see Little Mac and Lip become playable characters but not for the sake of some quota. They should become characters off their own merit. That is one of the biggest problems I have with the ice climbers; they made it in off of a single game that didn't leave even a tasteful impression nor did it age well. Even after two games, there still isn't much public interest in the characters themselves; they are simply a play style.

Dreamking

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DreamWanderer92
3DS FC
0817-5074-8674
Switch FC
6827-7951-1977
Oh, yea. I forgot another character I would like to see. Lolo from Eggerland. The Adventures of Lolo was the first time I heard of HAL. We've only seen the character in the form of "Lololo" over the 20 years roughly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom