• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does melee take more skill?

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
Never played starcraft. I know its huge, but I never looked into. Mainly cause my pc sucks. So anyone wanna give me a good video of starcraft? One that shows why its soo good?

IrArby

Smash Ace
Even if someone linked us to a good vid I doubt I at least would be able to tell how good they are. Imagine if you'd never played Melee and you saw two pros go at it. You wouldn't comprehend what they were doing. Does anyone know if theres a Smashboards equivalent for Starcraft?

*surfs the web at a whopping 54 mbps

Wuss

Smash Champion
yea, the easiest way to understand (in a short term way) is to tell you that pro starcraft players can perform upwards of 400 actions per minute. Some can even do 600. Think about that (jesus f***ing christ right?)

so in regards to melee, I believe it is highly skilled based, more so than any other fighting game I've ever played. One thing I love about melee is the balance between mindgames and techskill. It is true that mindgames make you better faster than techskill, but they are both necessary. Take Azen: his mindgames are, to say the least, above par. They are almost unrivaled. However, his techskill is not that great. I think I have better techskill than he does. But if he didn't have the techskill he has, he wouldn't be any good. Even with those amazing mindgames, he would not be able to compete with people like shiz simply beause he wouldn't have the mechanics. Shiz would be all over him. This dynamic between techskill and mindgames is an interesting one. I'm not saying this MAKES melee better or anything, but I do think it's important in considering the worth of melee.

Vulcan55

Smash Lord
yea, the easiest way to understand (in a short term way) is to tell you that pro starcraft players can perform upwards of 400 actions per minute. Some can even do 600. Think about that (jesus f***ing christ right?)
UBER MACRO
a

Fletch

Smash Master
Wait is Starcraft like way more technical than Warcraft or something? I figured the strategies would be somewhat similar but I never played them that in depth (without using the mouse I should say).
Then again Warcraft has less races. I heard some Korean guy died while playing Starcraft since he wouldn't leave his computer?

It makes sense for Starcraft to be really involved as you're controlling many more people I guess.
Warcraft is much more micro-based while Starcraft depends a lot more on macro. Starcraft is generally accepted as the more "skillful" game and seems more popular, but I've always liked WC better. We'll see when SC2 comes out.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
No matter what takes more skill, SSBM is my favorite fighting game.

Smash also breaks the fighter mold.

Dav657

Smash Apprentice
wtf are you saying, that ssb64 is somehow skillless? have you ever played that game at a high level? lol
??? I was making fun of how bad brawl is. :/ And smash64 is MY FAVOURITE smash game. Its just it went to from smash64=Fairly techncial, Melee=Really Technical, Brawl=ridiculously dumbed down version of both games put into one.

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice
To say that Melee is more skillful than EVERY other fighting game is an asinine and ignorant comment. Yes, Melee has huge freedom of movement, but guess what, so does Marvel. Yes, Melee has great mindgames, but guess what, so does Third Strike. The technical demand for Marvel is far greater than Melee, and the strategic demand for Third Strike is greater than Melee as well.

Learn things about other fighting games before immediately concluding that Melee takes more skill. Does Melee have footsies? No. Does Melee have high/low blocking and crossups? No. Does Melee force you to deal with Magneto? No. Go to your local arcade (if you have one with a good scene), play people, get *****, then you'll realize they all take just as much skill as Melee.

ZeroFox

Smash Lord
Yeah of course it does. The amount of skill it takes relative to the amount of skill Brawl needs increases exponentially when you start playing competitively.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
To say that Melee is more skillful than EVERY other fighting game is an asinine and ignorant comment. Yes, Melee has huge freedom of movement, but guess what, so does Marvel. Yes, Melee has great mindgames, but guess what, so does Third Strike. The technical demand for Marvel is far greater than Melee, and the strategic demand for Third Strike is greater than Melee as well.

Learn things about other fighting games before immediately concluding that Melee takes more skill. Does Melee have footsies? No. Does Melee have high/low blocking and crossups? No. Does Melee force you to deal with Magneto? No. Go to your local arcade (if you have one with a good scene), play people, get *****, then you'll realize they all take just as much skill as Melee.
Footsies = dash dancing. But yeah Marvel vs Capcom 2, guilty gear, and some others are really really good. But third Strike, not so sure lol but it is good enough unlike barwlz.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
In this thread many people speculate on various fighting games and RTS games they've never played at a high level.

And the few that do just shake their heads and laugh.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
You're asking that question in a place where OF COURSE you're going to get a biased answer?!?

To answer your question, most likely yes.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
You obviously don't know **** about footsies if you think that's true. Are they similar? Slightly. But not the same by a long shot.
Please explain. Cause I know I am not as good of a player in traditional fighters than smash, but they seem so similar.

1. Both go back and forth.

2. Both are used in spacing.

3. Both are used in feints.

4. Both are used to keep the opponent guessing while keeping yourself properly spaced.

5. Again, spacing.

So...again please explain why they are "not the same by a long shot."

Please explain. Cause I know I am not as good of a player in traditional fighters than smash, but they seem so similar.

4. Both are used to keep the opponent guessing while keeping yourself properly spaced.

5. Again, spacing.

Owned, I say.

But Yes, Melee takes more skill. Higher speeds require more reaction time, and the technical aspect is there as well as the mental aspect, so yes.

MikeHaggarTHAKJB

Smash Master
^^Melee doesn't take a whole lot reaction speed i think, it's more about prediction, imo. (like any fighting game). multiplayer FPS's where there is lots of close range shooting takes lots of reaction though

I haven't played shooters at a elite level but it's pretty easy to understand that if you play games like CS (which I have played alot at LANs, w/ good people at a fairly high level. I don't play it anymore tho)

honestly, people need to play other games before they just say "my game is more skillful then yours" >.>.

Saying that a GAME takes more skill doesn't really make sense anyway, since you are competing with PEOPLE. You are comparing your skill with theirs THROUGH the game. It's not the game itself that takes skill, it's winning against a good opponent

??? I was making fun of how bad brawl is. :/ And smash64 is MY FAVOURITE smash game. Its just it went to from smash64=Fairly techncial, Melee=Really Technical, Brawl=ridiculously dumbed down version of both games put into one.
Oh nvm then lol, i though you where saying "wow 64 was such an easy game but brawl is even easier then that"

BlackPanther

Smash Ace
I firmly believe that Melee takes more skill than any other fighting game and I've played them all and pretty **** good too. To argue with what AlphaZealot said is to argue with somethin God himself would say about the matter at hand. There are just wayyy too many more aspects to this game because of it's design and it's ****in flawless!

Edit: Sorry M2K, but this was about Melee takin more skill than other fightin games and not Brawl. Shows that you read the first post before you make one yourself mirite lol? =P

Eggm

Smash Hero
For people uninformed. Starcraft pros have about 300 apm (actions per minute) Which is like 5 actions per second. 5 Mouse clicks or keystrokes per second. For an entire match. That's pretty technical.

CHUK

Smash Ace
For people uninformed. Starcraft pros have about 300 apm (actions per minute) Which is like 5 actions per second. 5 Mouse clicks or keystrokes per second. For an entire match. That's pretty technical.
Yeah competitve starcraft is CRAZY!!! Melee requires more skill than brawl.

Jamnt0ast

Smash Journeyman
Melee takes no skill at all. It's only memorization of combos

/sarcasm to its fullest.

AznLanceLord

Smash Cadet
I think traditional fighting games are hard to play at first, and melee is easier to play at first, but melee gets much harder as you go on, and the others are not as hard as you get better, if that makes any sense...

BrawlLover

Smash Champion
Timmy, remember when we discussed this in the car? In terms of technical skill, Starcraft complete ***** Melee. just saying...just saying

lordXblade

Smash Apprentice

5. Again, spacing.

Footsies are not feints. Feints are a small part of footsies. Dash dancing is a feint and a mixup/mindgame technique, and although smash does have spacing games, because of it's high level of movement, footsies and spacing games don't have nearly as much of a hold.

Footsies, explained in a disgustingly simple way, are when I stand barely outside the range of your farthest attack, and when you hit a button, I hit my highest priority button and beat it. Smash has some of that, yes, like for punishing smash attacks, but not to the insane degree that games like ST and CVS2 do. They are not the same by a long shot because smash isn't based on a ground game, and footsies are all about the ground game. Poking, zoning, and high/low mixup are completely foreign concepts to smash, but are crucial elements of the Street Fighters.

Marvel has no footsies, Marvel needs no footsies. Marvel has the most ridiculous **** you've ever seen. It's more technical than Melee by a long shot, and if you thought playing a chain-grabbing Marth was hard, try blocking a good Magneto. Until you play every game at a high level, you can't appreciate the intricacies of all the games. All these games take just as much skill as Melee, and accent skill gaps to a similar, or greater in the case of Marvel and Third Strike, degree.

Binx

Smash Master
Melee takes more skill and more intelligence than ANY other fighter. Copy paste AZs thread. Every mechanic in melee combined with it's speed make it so **** sexy it's unbelievable.

Yeniths

East Midlands!
Yes Melee takes a great amount of skill, other games that come to mind include things such as Marvel Vs Capcom 2 and Starcraft.

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
Sadly, Melee is the only fighting game that I know how to play well, so I can't really know which is better technically.

I really wish I could do greatly with the Street Fighter games, because I couldn't even do well in higher difficulties. I would need someone's help with that, hehe.

Binx

Smash Master
^^^^ Good to see that people read what others have posted before posting redundantly.
I read the other stuff too lol, I'm not saying there aren't games that take more skill, I'm just saying there aren't any fighting games that take more. IMO anyways.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
I'm not good at Melee or any other fighting games. The best game I'm good at is Smash 64, which I'm at best above-average.

Top Bottom