• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

does it mean anything if...

skip430

Smash Cadet
I can 10 stock a lv 9 Roy with Shiek in a little under 3 minutes (2:52) without losing a single life? Also, the Roy didn't do any stupid cpu suicides. Or is that just easy since it is a computer? I can WD but not really in the heat of a battle, but I do L-cancel most of my arials and I shffl (usually without fast fall) about half the time.

skip430

Smash Cadet
)=
its just that im trying to get better, yet I have no real people to play, so I try to set challenges to myself, like not losing a single life and defeating the cpu within a time limit. What it has really done is make me VERY offensive, yet it is easy to pull off with a shiek.

another question then: how would you suggest getting better if I can only play cpus? (besides playing lv 1s and practicing WD and all of that, I can do those things facing lv 1s)

skip430

Smash Cadet
? you mean do the same practices but against a lv 3 cpu? like WD and shffl everything?

pockyD

Smash Legend
the thing is, trying to perfect the process of defeating CPUs (doing it faster, taking less damage, etc) will make you WORSE in the long run because to soundly beat a cpu, you will (consciously or not) just adapt to their patterns (knowing exactly when to spotdodge, knowing their DI perfectly, etc)

skip430

Smash Cadet
I live in Griffin GA about an hour south of Atlanta. I am sure I am probably within an hour of some people but I can't drive and my parents won't drive me somewhere and hour or more away just to play a video game )=

brickman

Smash Lord
Play against other people, that is the only way to get better. By simply playing against computers you are limiting your ability to experience other play styles. You are getting more and more use to a single play style. If there are not a lot of people around you and you want to practice technical stuff, don't bother playing against a computer, just plug in another controller to work on timing of moves etc.

But don't play against computers, it is just a waste of time.

robyextreme

Smash Ace
Get some friends, playing CPU's gets you no where. Unless you know how to practice from playing CPU's and not force bad habbits on yourself.

Like for example, I play Fox. And I practice getting use to hitstun/lag during nair -> Shine

Or consistantly land Drill -> Shine -> U-Smash on Peaches. This is what will help you when playing in real matches. Not comboing a CPU player who doesn't DI. Might as well knock the opponents controller out of their hand to do the same combos.

Another tip would be.. Practicing general technical you seem very beginner since you talk about wavedashing and shuffling consistantly so don't bother with any of what I said, for now just play human opponents until you learn how to train on your own. =/

4 Aces

Smash Ace
I live in Griffin GA about an hour south of Atlanta. I am sure I am probably within an hour of some people but I can't drive and my parents won't drive me somewhere and hour or more away just to play a video game )=
*GASP* You live in GA too?! That's so cool! I don't feel so alone anymore! I live in Suwanee GA. Yeah, there's like no one in GA. You just don't find much competition in these parts. Hardly anyone plays the game, and the ones that do are super noobs who talk big. The only formidable opponents are a few of my friends (before I learned Advanced Tech) and my sister. My friends don't know advanced tech other than wavedash, and they suck at it. Recently, when I pulled off advanced tech on one of them, I owned him completely. My sister is really the only true adversary I have. She's pretty tough, but she doesn't use advanced tech. She does use a bit of mindgames though. And she can tech and shieldgrab and edgehog. Yeah, you're probably thinking that I'm an amateur by now. :)

If I were you, I'd only practice against a level 9 when I know how to play against a human well. I would master advanced basics and just practice comboes on lvl 9 whenever there's an opening, or when I just want to kill something.

Shack

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShackShack
3DS FC
1392-5021-7831
dont play lvl 9's, they are predictable and dont play like ppl do. play lvl 1's and work on combos and stuff, or play 3 of em at higher level to practice ur evasion and stall tacticts.

Jx31

Smash Ace
*GASP* You live in GA too?! That's so cool! I don't feel so alone anymore! I live in Suwanee GA. Yeah, there's like no one in GA. You just don't find much competition in these parts. Hardly anyone plays the game, and the ones that do are super noobs who talk big. The only formidable opponents are a few of my friends (before I learned Advanced Tech) and my sister. My friends don't know advanced tech other than wavedash, and they suck at it. Recently, when I pulled off advanced tech on one of them, I owned him completely. My sister is really the only true adversary I have. She's pretty tough, but she doesn't use advanced tech. She does use a bit of mindgames though. And she can tech and shieldgrab and edgehog. Yeah, you're probably thinking that I'm an amateur by now. :)

If I were you, I'd only practice against a level 9 when I know how to play against a human well. I would master advanced basics and just practice comboes on lvl 9 whenever there's an opening, or when I just want to kill something.
That's not true at all, at one point this year there was a tournament every weekend for two months. You may just have to travel some, though, most tournaments are in the Atlanta area. Heck, we even had tournaments IN Suwanee GA, and as far as I know, another one is in the works.

m0dredus

Hail Hydra
Well I also live in a non-smash area. I've got all of one friend who is ANY competition, but even then thats only if hes in practice. As of late I can waste him eaisly, but i hope thats just because he hasn't played in a while. I like to think there is someone around who can give me a run for my money. Ya, I live in far southern ME, so nobody is around.

I think its OK to train against computers so long as you don't use routines to beat them.

Top Bottom