• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Brawl look TOO good?

Phat

Smash Cadet
Why complain that it is too good and might lag? Honestly, these forums can find anything to complain about..

The dev team is smart. They aren't a bunch of kids. They are getting paid and know what they are doing. Sit back, relax and watch. I can almost promise when the game comes out it will be as good or better than Melee.

Terrabottuti

Smash Journeyman
The Wii isn't just a Gamecube 1.5 you know... I expect Brawl will handle just like a Wii version of Melee, if not better. Nintendo truly knows the limit and tricks of it's special little console, and Mario Party 8 was made by Hudson Soft, so it's easy to see why there would be a lot of lag in certain places.

The only lag we should all be worrying about is the one for Online Mode... thankfully the people I'm planning on playing with aren't as far away as Japan to America!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Never compare anything to Mario Party 8. That game uses premade character models and lazy programming to cut down on production time. As people have already pointed out, Metroid Prime 3 was infinitely more graphically intense than Mario Party 8, but it ran smoothly with no problems.

Brawl may experience some load times that we are not used to, but I have a feeling that the actual gameplay will be buttery smooth. The game is too important to botch on any level (design or coding).

Lumancer

Smash Apprentice
Hmm. I don't think Mario Party is a good example on this point... I'd chalk that up more to poor programming than good graphics. Heck, Rayman has to take more processing power than Mario Party, and I don't think there were lag problems with that game. Loading problems maybe, but not lag problems. And no, I don't know what I'm talking about, but that's besides the point.

Mario Party is a completely different game from Smash with completely different mechanics. Smash NEEDS to be EXTREMELY fast to work- any fighting game does. If Sakurai's the perfectionist everybody makes him out to be we have nothing to worry about in this respect. Brawl's probably not going to be any worse than Smash got in terms of lag.

Sidius

Smash Journeyman
IMO the graphics won't make brawl lag...heck if u think brawls graphics are good u should check out Mario Kart for the Wii

blerb

Smash Journeyman
the game won't lag, jeez. you just assume that because the models look good.

a lot of them are the same model as before, just updated textures. (mario, pikachu, kirby, yoshi, DK, samus)

Rolando84

Smash Rookie
Well actually I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics. I expected more realistic new models. It seems they're only modeling the PC's with detail but the rest of the things in the game looks like GC or even N64 models with pretty textures (even the AT's deserved a little more justice). Ugh. I loved Peach's desing, the overlaping layers of her skirt own, but... a plain old texture? Nintendo is very cheap when it comes to modeling...

Rash

Smash Ace
I'm pretty sure this game's been confirmed to stay at a constant 60 FPS.

I actually love the models in this game. They all look great, and are pretty much what you'd expect from a system twice as powerful as a Gamecube, especially in a game where people won't even be paying attention to character-design during matches anyway. The level of detail is far greater than it was in Melee, and that's all anyone can ask for.

Spellman

Smash Ace
People rarely notice great art in video games, it's the bad art that sticks out like a sore thumb.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Well actually I'm a bit disappointed with the graphics. I expected more realistic new models. It seems they're only modeling the PC's with detail but the rest of the things in the game looks like GC or even N64 models with pretty textures (even the AT's deserved a little more justice). Ugh. I loved Peach's desing, the overlaping layers of her skirt own, but... a plain old texture? Nintendo is very cheap when it comes to modeling...
I would love to see a screenshot with something that looks like its N64 quality, because it doesn't exist.

Do you even remember the quality of the models in the N64 games? Looking back on them now, they are actually pretty horrible and you would be able to tell if such a low polygon model was in a next generation system.

Dylan_Tnga

Smash Master
I dont see what was wrong with melees graphics, really. They were beautiful. These graphics are great too and im sure they wont lag, at least on the wii itself, could it cause problems online? Hell yeah. Remember what happend with 4 pairs of climbers on fountian of dreams? the reflections and too much going on caused the GC to crash.

But I do think brawls graphics are looking SUPERB so far, the eye contact thing is really amazing.

Zjiin

Smash Master
I would love to see a screenshot with something that looks like its N64 quality, because it doesn't exist.

Do you even remember the quality of the models in the N64 games? Looking back on them now, they are actually pretty horrible and you would be able to tell if such a low polygon model was in a next generation system.

It would be hard to make it look so crappy but they could do their best, like they did in DL64

example

The flowers and the leaves were all pixelated on purpose. Did it still look good? Yeah. So it might look similar, but that doesn't mean it's gonna be the same as the 64 ones.

OmegaXXII

Fire Emblem Lord/ Trophy Hunter
I'm sure his development team has worked a way around it (hopefully) and btw Brawl is gonna be huge so having frame rate skipping as well as lag would definetly ruin Brawl's gameplay which I believe Sakurai will try to avoid at all costs in order for it to be a great success, although I will say online play will have it's limitations in distance between players but this is for another thread

Black/Light

Smash Master
. .. If there is anyone, ANYone. . . ANYONE who knows how to make a 'soo sweet that you have drool running down your face' looking and smooth running Nintendo game on a nintendo system it would be Nintendo. Brawls fine . . .
(plus, didn't Sakurai say the game would be slower than melee?)

Kor

Smash Apprentice
I dont see what was wrong with melees graphics, really. They were beautiful. These graphics are great too and im sure they wont lag, at least on the wii itself, could it cause problems online? Hell yeah. Remember what happend with 4 pairs of climbers on fountian of dreams? the reflections and too much going on caused the GC to crash.

But I do think brawls graphics are looking SUPERB so far, the eye contact thing is really amazing.
Honestly, it wouldn't even cause that many problems online.

You have to understand, this isn't like an FPS, where you constantly have to draw your surroundings, since they are changing. The stages are pre-loaded, the character models are pre-loaded.

The only thing NOT pre-loaded are items.

When you talk about online play, the only thing each Wii needs to communicate, is Position, and button input.

For example.

Mario at (32.68, -12.83)
Jump button + left direction registered, Mario followed predetermined path to (35.11, 02.43)

Lag isn't going to be the horrendous thing you all think it is.

We're talking a 200 millisecond differenece.

I play wow with people in Europe and Australia, and thats about the most they ever say they are behind.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
there wont be any lag outside of a minimal amount during online play, the wii is more powerful than people give it credit for, Metroid prime 3 runs amazingly well looks great the enviornments at times are huge and no lag at all. mario galaxy's is another example its graphics may even be better than prime 3 and in the vids seen so far it seems to run smooth. Brawl will look and run great. the only reson people have bee doubtin the wii is becuase of the ports and rushed games that have been made for the wii so far. its true capiilites are much higer than that.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Ever since the Wii was released all we've heard about was the graphical limitations of the Wii, while this game seems to look almost just as good as any game for the 360 or PS3.
Sorry but that's a typical fanboy statement clouded in illusions.

And no, SSBB doesn't look too good.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I will shoot myself the day Brawl makes it onto another console. >_<

Jumpinjahosafa

Smash Ace
Except the other 2 were not nearly as good graphic wise.

I'm a bit concerned about this myself. I really hope I can play the game without freezing up whenever I grab a detailed item.
The other two were also on the Gamecube.

This is the Wii.

The wii is more powerful.

(peoplecomplainaboutanything)

Spellman

Smash Ace
Lag isn't going to be the horrendous thing you all think it is.

We're talking a 200 millisecond differenece.

I play wow with people in Europe and Australia, and thats about the most they ever say they are behind.
I think some computer nerd told me that emails take roughly 200 milliseconds to leave their destination and to arrive so I guess that makes sense. Only "lag" we're going to get is from people with shoddy connections; I know because I was using Wi-Fi with my dial-up modem. Playing Mario Kart, everyone on screen kept on driving off course and then randomly appearing back on the track, and that's how they seen me.

Sorry but that's a typical fanboy statement clouded in illusions.

And no, SSBB doesn't look too good.
lol "technically" speaking the graphics aren't as good as *several* games on the other consoles, but it's got enough style to look as good as the other consoles games if you aren't standing up to your 72 inch plasma screen home theatre with a metric ruler measuring the various imperfections.

BentoBox

Smash Master
The Wii isnt capable of recreating the same lighting effects present in most high-end games on the PS3/360, that alone makes all the difference in the world.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The graphics cannot compete with 360/PS3... and yet, the game will still sell like wildfire and be played for years by us. ^_^

Top Bottom