• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Anyone still play melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Like most normal people who love the future more than their past.
Sane persons prefer the present moment much more then the future and past.
Sane people also just so happen to be a minority on this planet.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

cHaNg-sTa

BRoomer
BRoomer
HAhaha, I can feel the tears running down your face, your like a little child throwing a tantrum " NO NO NO! Melee still is godd *sniff*" hahaha dude you rock.
Keep going man, anything else you would like to say before your bed time lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
Didn't you say earlier in the thread that Melee is a good game but you're moving on? So what you're saying is a game becomes bad with time, which is a belief that very few people share. This also means games like you're amazing Halo 3 will become obsolete in a year or 2.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
HAhaha, I can feel the tears running down your face, your like a little child throwing a tantrum " NO NO NO! Melee still is godd *sniff*" hahaha dude you rock.
Keep going man, anything else you would like to say before your bed time lOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL.
I'm eighteen, it's 1:50 in the afternoon, and by GOD I love the Report button. Expect mod action soon.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
I got flamed earlier on for saying the word "Sayonara" Or is that against someones beliefs Lol.
People from different places of the world come on this site, also from different backgrounds. its highly unlikely people will all think alike.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
I got flamed earlier on for saying the word "Sayonara" Or is that against someones beliefs Lol.
People from different places of the world come on this site, also from different backgrounds. its highly unlikely people will all think alike.
Please explain why you're flaming people for their opinions, if this is truly how you feel on the subject.

cHaNg-sTa

BRoomer
BRoomer
WTF, are you just trying to blend to our side of the argument? Just earlier in the day, you were questioning why people would still want to play Melee because it's old and not good anymore. We told you because people have different opinions, and NOW you're saying that as if that's what you were saying all along? Ugh.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Heck, I still don't have a Melee main. The other week me and my friend discoered we were really good with Samus and Zelda. (respectively) I used to use Young Link, I honestly don't know who to use.

kitsuneboy_geoff

Smash Apprentice
Yep, I still melee quite frequently, although not as much as I did when it came out. However, it's still an amazing game. Let's see... I also still play:
-Chrono Trigger
-All the old Super Mario games (part of Super Mario all stars and world on the SNES)
-Halo 1 (occasionally... I don't have an Xbox)
-Soul Calibur 2
-Smash 64
-F Zero X
-Starfox 64
-Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9.

Yeah... there's nothing wrong with re-playing old games.

Gesi1223

Smash Apprentice
starcraft?? never heard of it.
Melee Is Falling behind modern gamesand now i just wonder why its even still played today.
No online play. Characters are now lacking in depth as theres loads more characters in nintendos history.
Why put smash in your Wii/Gamecube and start playing? whats the point?
Play Mario Galaxy or something!
For those who can't import and have Melee. Then it's all they have if they want to play anything close to Brawl with friends.

I still play it alot with my friends, I rarely play it alone though.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
Your defination of a good game is "modern". Well already I can say ur an idiot :S
Just because a game was made a long time ago, doesnt mean its worst than today's game or lacks depth. Melee has PLENTLY of depth and requires lots of skills...it would take someone forever to master a game like melee...

Starcraft is 10 years old~
Never heard of starcraft, allow me to enlighten you:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=k5Fd6fHNdsE
They even have it on the f****** national geographic channel!!!

Its by far the most played RTS game and has the most depth a game has ever had to offer. Its not modern, but guess what, that means bull.

Ignorance likes your just pisses me off :S

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
Your defination of a good game is "modern". Well already I can say ur an idiot :S
Just because a game was made a long time ago, doesnt mean its worst than today's game or lacks depth. Melee has PLENTLY of depth and requires lots of skills...it would take someone forever to master a game like melee...
Ignorance likes your just pisses me off :S
You know Lecto didn't say all old games suck... It's funny how people call each other ignorant for having different views of games.

Anyways I still play melee, usually on the weekends.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I stopped playing Melee recently, because Brawl is coming out, and Brawl plays entirely differently. I don't want to be in a Melee mindset when I play Brawl.

Mainly that. Also, I don't feel like playing by myself right now, and I don't have time in college right now.

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
WTF, are you just trying to blend to our side of the argument? Just earlier in the day, you were questioning why people would still want to play Melee because it's old and not good anymore. We told you because people have different opinions, and NOW you're saying that as if that's what you were saying all along? Ugh.
Further evidence that Lecto's opinions are not his own: His arguments are slowly transforming and looking more like the majority of what people in here have been telling him in this topic.

Ageman20XX

Smash Apprentice
Honestly, I played Melee a bunch when it first came out but due to the fact that none of my friends lived close enough to play with me, it ended up being left to collect dust in it's case.

Recently, however, in the last year - my boyfriend tried out the game with me after I moved in and it turned out that he was pretty **** good - I actually had a challenge and someone to play with. He was actually (and still is) amazing at it and it forced me to rethink my previous playing strategies. Since playing with him I've actually improved my game 3-fold.

The fact that Brawl is coming out soon, however, has only made us play more. I'm not kidding when I say we play at least 24mins a day (I say that because we like doing 8 min matches and usually have at least three per night). That's a lot of Melee! Lol.

And while I'm sure I wont play Melee as much (or at all) once Brawl comes out, it has nothing to do with Melee aging - it just has to do with Brawl likely being 100x better.

I think anyone who whines about Melee being old is just ********...

Uchiha.Sanosuke

Smash Journeyman
In all honesty, I haven't played Melee in ages. Since at least last summer, actually...

Chances are, I won't be playing it again.

Cerulean_Charizard

Smash Cadet
Not liking a game because it's old or inferior... that's sad. I'm all for playing older games. I got into a lot of franchises that way, the most obvious one being The Legend of Zelda games (Ocarina of Time was the culprit). I also still play Spyro the Dragon (up until the third one, the series went downhill after that), Sonic games, which I prefer the Mega-Drive and Adventure ones, I prefer Pokemon Silver to Pokemon Sapphire too, with Pokemon Diamond somewhere inbetween. It seems that the classics out do the sequels in most of these cases!

As in the Smashing sense, I will still play Melee after I get Brawl, because it's still a great game and I can play as Mewtwo still...! :) It'll probably take a long time until I get tired of Brawl though... a very long time. That is, when it comes out over here in the UK.

DalzK

Smash Apprentice
"You know Lecto didn't say all old games suck... It's funny how people call each other ignorant for having different views of games."

His reason for not like the game is because its "out of date"...
I never said that he thought that all old games suck...you can join the idiot category with him gratz

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Not liking a game because it's old or inferior... that's sad. I'm all for playing older games. I got into a lot of franchises that way, the most obvious one being The Legend of Zelda games (Ocarina of Time was the culprit). I also still play Spyro the Dragon (up until the third one, the series went downhill after that), Sonic games, which I prefer the Mega-Drive and Adventure ones, I prefer Pokemon Silver to Pokemon Sapphire too, with Pokemon Diamond somewhere inbetween. It seems that the classics out do the sequels in most of these cases!

As in the Smashing sense, I will still play Melee after I get Brawl, because it's still a great game and I can play as Mewtwo still...! :) It'll probably take a long time until I get tired of Brawl though... a very long time. That is, when it comes out over here in the UK.
This made me realize that it's weird for me to think of games like OoT or Pokemon Silver as "old" anyway. Anybody who uses them as examples I just automatically perceive as young.

Last gen doesn't even seem old to me at all. N64 doesn't really seem old to me either.

Ghost07

Smash Journeyman
"You know Lecto didn't say all old games suck... It's funny how people call each other ignorant for having different views of games."

His reason for not like the game is because its "out of date"...
I never said that he thought that all old games suck...you can join the idiot category with him gratz
Apparenty you don't understand what you're typing then.

Kreeeee

Smash Cadet
You make me REALLY embarrassed to live in the same country as you. You're a grade A tool, could you please, PLEASE, get some education?

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
Not liking a game because it's old or inferior... that's sad.
I'll play pac-man if I'm bored enough and have nothing else to do, but thats pretty rare..

Its not sad, people just live under difference circumstances and preferences then yourself. (do some people on this forum have jobs? Or is it all pre-teens?)

Zelda:OoT was hella fun back in the day, but I won't touch it now.

Lord Viper

SS Rank
NNID
LordViper
3DS FC
2363-5881-2519
I stop playing Melee ever since I got my Wii, I still see people play it, but I don't anymore.

naevorc

Smash Apprentice
I still play melee from time to time, it just doesn't get old. Hell, I still play wc3ft alllllllll the time. Not trying to flame but, honestly how do you not know what starcraft is? Professional players make 200k a year playing starcraft. It is indeed a sport. Yes, games are relatable to sports.

Libomasus

Smash Journeyman
Can't you guys tell from the taste in games(Among other distinctive signs) that you're all arguing against mainstream gamers? Mainstream gamers with pitiful taste in games who have the wierdest logic and go out of their way to **** on anything that doesn't follow it?

How can you say we can't enjoy something like Halo the same way we did when we bought it, then tell us to go buy the more modern version which is basically just a rehashed, prettier, more unoriginal game? As newer games come out the concepts and mechanics only get more and more stale, not to mention they try to evolve on past things and just end up failing sometimes. Newer games aren't better, and whatever sense of repetitiveness you get from older games I can find just as easily in newer games.

Sonic the Hedgehog(The original and S3K, not Sonic 2) is still awesome, and I play it every day. It doesn't matter whether I've played through it so many times, if anything it grows on me more and more and gets better and better.

Some games age like milk, getting more and more sour. Your basically telling us to go buy milk even more past its expiration date, just with a different carton. Other games age like wine, refining their taste over time. Sequels to these games generally have their own distinct flavor, and as they both age you find time to appreciate both of them. Though I guess you can't believe that if you don't experience it for yourself. Go play some better games. If it can't keep you occupied for more than 6 years(Or at least 2), than your probably playing the wrong ones.

PS: Halo sux0rz.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
I play melee everyday although I haven't finished any of my Wii games.:(

NOT Sliq

Smash Cadet
This thread is the cancer killing Smashboards.

February 2-3rd was Pound 3, a Melee tournament that got over 240 people in attendance.

So, yeah, Melee is still played.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
@TC - are you saying games like Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 6, Street Fighter 3: Third Strike, and Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo suck because they are old? Forgive me for NOT agreeing with your opinion, but these are some of the greatest games ever created imo, and they would be hard pressed to be surpassed. Just because a game is old doesn't mean it sucks. I still play Smash 64 sometimes, and I still enjoy Melee. Some games are just made so that they last and become classics.

As for why waste money buying new games? Well I think most people buy new games so they can find games that will become classics in the future and allow for re-playability. Also, not knowing what Starcraft is automatically discredits you from any argument. It doesn't matter if those aren't your type of games, any REAL gamer knows what Starcraft is.

You seem to be the type of person who plays games just because of pretty graphics and so called "freshness," however there are those of us who actually enjoy gameplay more then graphics.

Mizukami_Jago

Smash Rookie
I still play Melee... I have been playing it since I got it at Launch so long ago... I do play other games... but I still play Melee... its the one cube game that continuously gets played... moreso with the impending release of Smash Bros. Brawl... I'd say it gets an average use of 4 or 5 hours a week... I guess...

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
You guys are naming all games over 2 years old, i never said all games that are old suck but some games lose their spark and some dont, whats your guys problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom