• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Wave Race and 1080 Snowboarding? I remember when I was a kid racking my brain as to who could appear in the sequel to my beloved Smash 64. Some of the only ones I ever thought of were Wario, King Dedede and a character from Wave Race or 1080 like Rob Haywood. I always thought snowboard-based stunts for attacks and using jet skis as a side-B would've been the coolest s***.

Looking back, I can see why they never made it (too difficult to implement, more sports games that just happened to be developed by Nintendo than actual historical Nintendo games, too many vanilla, uninteresting characters that nobody has ever heard of). I also know that both series have been silent for over a decade and thus don't really matter much to Nintendo now. But both game series were relatively successful and Nintendo-made.

Has anyone else ever even considered the possibility of playing as Rob Haywood or David Mariner or someone else from these games at any point in their Smash career? Did anyone ever imagine them being plausible or were ever interested in them? Does anyone think the series should be represented in some way in Smash?

Sobreviviente

Smash Lord
Ryota Hayami representing Wave Race, Ricky Winterborn representing 1080 snowboarding.
And yes, i want more wr/1080 presence in smash, but i'ill preffer the guy from the blue storm logo :B

Zekersaurus

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2027 5431 0731
Ooooor a brand new character that's just a guy or girl that uses a bunch of Nintendo themed sports equipment in his/her moveset. Like a Nintendo version of Casey Jones?

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
Yeah, its so weird. Doesn't it seem like these franchises were completely forgotten? They existed, but I don't think a single character or element of the game has been referenced in any way in Smash, not even as a trophy. I thought for sure when I was like 10 years old before Melee came out that we'd get a 1080/Wave Race character.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Yeah, its so weird. Doesn't it seem like these franchises were completely forgotten? They existed, but I don't think a single character or element of the game has been referenced in any way in Smash, not even as a trophy. I thought for sure when I was like 10 years old before Melee came out that we'd get a 1080/Wave Race character.
Actually there was a trophy in Melee for each series, (as I recall unlocking this first one myself):

RYOTA HAYAMI
An 18-year-old Wave Race competitor from Japan. While he doesn't appear to have one outstanding trait, his acceleration, top speed, and maneuverability are quite well balanced. In Wave Race: Blue Storm, he's done away with his helmet and goggles in an attempt to make his face more recognizable across the world.

KENSUKE KIMACHI
A member of the Vertical Air snowboard team of Japan. He's 19 years of age and a top boarder in Japan, but his team is still working on achieving world-class ranking. Kensuke is a mellow, laid-back guy who gets bored quickly with things that don't spark his interest. He plays a lot of Nintendo games when he's not riding.

And whilst not quite as good, both series also got a few stickers dedicated to them in Brawl. Depending on the effort put into the trophies this time, there's a chance both series will get another one.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
I know there was a thread for 1080 snowboarding and wave race on here awhile ago, so people did think of them on smashboards before.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
Honestly Ricky Winterborn would be perfect to represent both 1080 and Wave Race since he was in both. I don't see why not.. If Wii Fit Trainer can be in Smash, why not Ricky?

Marakatu

Smash Ace
I swear, I was thinking about making a thread named "Ok! OK! Good! Nice! Maximum Power for Ryota Hayami in SSB4!"
I seriously think that he could work. He could work like Captain Falcon, but with water-based moves instead of fire-based moves.

Cobalsh

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2578-3430-9913
I swear, I was thinking about making a thread named "Ok! OK! Good! Nice! Maximum Power for Ryota Hayami in SSB4!"
I seriously think that he could work. He could work like Captain Falcon, but with water-based moves instead of fire-based moves.
That... would be awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom