• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone remember the Jet Set Radio series?

ProGamer

Smash Rookie
Does anyone remembers the original Jet Set Radio on the Sega Dreamcast? that game is awesome. Love the art style, music and the gameplay, skating around, painting the streets in graffiti while doing tricks is cool. I also love the sequel Jet Set Radio Future for the original Xbox, nothing much to say that is a great sequel. Anyway what do you guys think, do you think there should be a new Jet Set Radio game?

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
YO DID SOMEONE SAY JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hell yeah there should be a new one. Though I have to say, I didn't really care for JSRF. One of the really cool things about JSR was the variety in the character designs, and JSRF kinda killed that. Plus, DJ Professor K was WAY more fun to listen to in the original, and in my opinion the soundtrack fell short as well.

Fun Fact: I voted Beat for Sm4sh's character poll.

Last edited:

ProGamer

Smash Rookie
YO DID SOMEONE SAY JET SET RADIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Hell yeah there should be a new one. Though I have to say, I didn't really care for JSRF. One of the really cool things about JSR was the variety in the character designs, and JSRF kinda killed that. Plus, DJ Professor K was WAY more fun to listen to in the original, and in my opinion the soundtrack fell short as well.

Fun Fact: I voted Beat for Sm4sh's character poll.
I do agree with you about DJ Professor K in JSRF his design is weird and his personality is not as good as the original, And nice man for voting for Beat on Smash 4

Minato

穏やかじゃない
Yup, I remember it. I have it on Dreamcast, but I feel like I should buy the port too. I still never played the Xbox game though.

JSR is one of my favorites. I like games with style, and JSR's got style for days. Weeks. Months. Years. Centuries.

I'm not dying for a new one, but I would like to see JSRF get the HD treatment.

finalark

SNORLAX
JSR is fantastic. I actually did a play through a few months ago. IMO JSRF is better, and I'm really hoping SEGA gets on an HD version of that soon.

What are your guys' favorite songs from the game? I personally dig this track from Future:

I'm not exactly begging for a third game, but if SEGA ever put one out I'd buy it on the spot.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
JSR is fantastic. I actually did a play through a few months ago. IMO JSRF is better, and I'm really hoping SEGA gets on an HD version of that soon.

What are your guys' favorite songs from the game? I personally dig this track from Future:
Rock it On, 'Bout the City, Miller Ball Breakers, Magical Girl, and I can't remember the name but the final boss BGM

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
I've played Jet Set Radio. The iOS version. Ah...I remember those iPad days. That is how I mastered the art of touch-screen controls.
Anyway, although the controls are slippery (even with my touch-screen skills) and the level design is at times frustrating, I still had a good time with Jet Set Radio. The world was vibrant, colorful and over the top and the soundtrack is god-like. Never played Jet Set Radio Future though but I do know that like its predecessor, its soundtrack is god-tier. I would like to see another game in the Jet Set Radio franchise. As well as a bunch of other Sega franchises.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
I've played Jet Set Radio. The iOS version. Ah...I remember those iPad days. That is how I mastered the art of touch-screen controls.
Anyway, although the controls are slippery (even with my touch-screen skills) and the level design is at times frustrating, I still had a good time with Jet Set Radio. The world was vibrant, colorful and over the top and the soundtrack is god-like. Never played Jet Set Radio Future though but I do know that like its predecessor, its soundtrack is god-tier. I would like to see another game in the Jet Set Radio franchise. As well as a bunch of other Sega franchises.
Yeah, the mobile controls are iffy, but if you can get it on a Dreamcast, or the HD version on XBLA/PSN/Steam it works lots better with a controller.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
I may not have played JSR first on the Dreamcast, but I had played it on my PS3 (which I downloaded from the Playstation Store) to which I enjoyed. I did briefly played a bit of Jet Set Radio Future on the Xbox too.

It's been far too long since the last JSR game, but I do hope that SEGA will do something (along with a new Virtua Fighter sequel) to revive the series.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
Y'know, there actually was a JSR planned for the Wii... it was gonna be called Jet Set Radio Elements, but Sega didn't let it enter production.

Here's hoping they reconsider and we get a rad one for the Wii U.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
I may not have played JSR first on the Dreamcast, but I had played it on my PS3 (which I downloaded from the Playstation Store)
Same, except I didn't like it.
I didn't like how the game controlled at all, the characters were too stiff for my liking.

However, I would like to see this series come back regardless, it did give a unique arcadey vibe and we could use more of those.

finalark

SNORLAX
Same, except I didn't like it.
I didn't like how the game controlled at all, the characters were too stiff for my liking.

However, I would like to see this series come back regardless, it did give a unique arcadey vibe and we could use more of those.
Hunt down a copy of JSR Future. Pretty much every complaint regarding stiff movement, tricky controls and the camera were fixed beautifully.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
Hunt down a copy of JSR Future. Pretty much every complaint regarding stiff movement, tricky controls and the camera were fixed beautifully.
At the expense of the game's soul.

JSRF is more like a spinoff than a sequel, though I did like its implementation of multiplayer.

windlessusher

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Hakudamashi
3DS FC
3050-7676-0039
But isn't it only on Xbox 360? Unfortunately I don't own one.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
Gum and YoYo are my loves, never played JSRF but their designs are cool there at the least. Can you only find (expensive) hard copies, or is it available digitally as well?

Tried to speedrun JSR a while back, didn't turn out too well. I ain't good enough :p

finalark

SNORLAX
Gum and YoYo are my loves, never played JSRF but their designs are cool there at the least. Can you only find (expensive) hard copies, or is it available digitally as well?

Tried to speedrun JSR a while back, didn't turn out too well. I ain't good enough :p
Unfortunately, JSRF isn't available digitally.

Thankfully, physical copies are dirt cheap if you get it with the SEGA GT bundle.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
So who is your favorite character within Jet Set Radio?
I'm a boring loser who plays Beat almost constantly. Aside from him, I also like Cube. And everyone else really.
The only character I DON'T like is Combo, just because his tricks are lame.

ProGamer

Smash Rookie
Oh ho, Panzer Dragoon... I'd kill for a new installment in that series. Perhaps even more than I'd want another Jet Set Radio.... Perhaps.
They released a spiritual successor called Crimson Dragoon for the Xbox One made by the original creator

Oh ho, Panzer Dragoon... I'd kill for a new installment in that series. Perhaps even more than I'd want another Jet Set Radio.... Perhaps.
I'd kill EVEN MORE for a digital release of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Someone needs to find that source code already.

finalark

SNORLAX
I'd kill EVEN MORE for a digital release of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Someone needs to find that source code already.
Sega needs to figure out a way to salvage the Saturn's library. Because they lost the source code (Only Sega could lose the source code for an entire console) this means that the games that defined it and made it a success in Japan like Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force I and II and the Panzer Dragoon series (sans Orta) are all lost to the sands of gaming history.

I mean, we got an HD version of the PS2 port of NiGHTS, so that's something. But unless you happen to be handy with the Japanese language the Saturn's library is basically lost to most of the world.

RadicalRat

Smash Journeyman
Sega needs to figure out a way to salvage the Saturn's library. Because they lost the source code (Only Sega could lose the source code for an entire console) this means that the games that defined it and made it a success in Japan like Burning Rangers, Shining Force III, Shining the Holy Ark, Dragon Force I and II and the Panzer Dragoon series (sans Orta) are all lost to the sands of gaming history.

I mean, we got an HD version of the PS2 port of NiGHTS, so that's something. But unless you happen to be handy with the Japanese language the Saturn's library is basically lost to most of the world.
Alright but, there's a huge portion of the ISOs available if you poke around a bit, surely you can get SOMETHING out of that?

Top Bottom