• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone like the 35 roster?

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I like it. (Except for Wolf, Ganon clonage + lack of Mewtwo)

There, I said it.

Viral

Smash Apprentice
I don't mind it. 35 is a decent amount of characters and I like most of them.

I'm disappointed that it didn't include Claus, Isaac, Geno or any of the other popular poll choices but oh well, you can't have everything.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
I'm very happy with it. Granted, I have some gripes (my biggest one being Wolf being a clone of a clone of Fox), but I'm very satisfyed.

+ Lucario's in!
+ Geno & Sora didn't make it!

What's not to love?

Icarus Descent

Smash Ace
I love it alot,it's really a satisfying roster if you ask me.It has more new characters than old,that will be fun to play as.I am now actually even more hyped for the game than I was.

Arteen

Smash Lord
I like the roster. It has a lot of good character choices. My problem with it is that they could have made much better choices. Why have ROB, Wolf, and Ness when you could have Ridley, Krystal, and Isaac? I'm also disappointed (and thoroughly confused) at some of the clones, especially the triple Landmaster issue. Falco never ever ever uses the Landmaster, and Wolf would never ever ever even have the opportunity to use the Landmaster. At the very least, they could have given Falco some simple Arwing-based FS, then switched the Wolfen for the Arwing and given that to Wolf. There really is no excuse for it.

Tiamat475

Smash Journeyman
It's not bad at all, although I wish they could've added a little more to the roster...maybe next time. (If there will ever be one)

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
Yes, I love the roster, a lot better than Melee. R.O.B. is very cool and so are the other characters.

The only disappointments are Ness, Lucario, and Sonic.

Yes, I said it.

Flaminglink

Smash Journeyman
The Roster is GREAT

I cant beleive ppl are complaining about It they are idoits. The roster rules and when we get the game we will do no complaining unless the online is laggy but even if online is laggy nintendo will have to buy more servers because of the demand and comlaints they will get.

Drack

Smash Apprentice
I don't have a single complaint. The final roster is a fantastic group of characters.

Plenty of characters, but not too many that it would be hell to balance and stay creative for each character. I won't miss Mewtwo, Pichu, Roy, and Doc (though Doc was my third best in Melee), and the newcomers are all welcome in my book.

Brawl is a fanservice game, but not excessively so. Too much fanservice would spoil the game. Many characters that didn't make the cut would be awkward or just plain not well-suited for Smash in the first place (some moreso than others).

As for the characters that DID make the cut, I don't think anyone can really complain until they've played the game.

This is the biggest game Nintendo has ever made, and Sakurai has done a fantastic job directing it.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
It was disappointing at first. I have grown to like it after watching a bunch of videos. My list for brawl was Jigglypuff, Mewtwo, Link, Fox, Falco, Lucario, Wolf, Ridley and Maybe Blaziken. Getting 6 out of 9 isn't bad. I feel bad for all the Krystal and Geno fans. What was the point of the poll if he wasn't even going to use it?

I am more psyched for SSE. I like the roster, it's not what i expected. But it is still better than nothing.

I'm just annoyed that they Cut Mewtwo for no reason. He wasn't beyond fixing. I am going to use Mewtwo whenever I play SSBM just to honor his Memory, and Because he is a fun character.

super-7

Smash Journeyman
everybody is just mad because ridley and krystal didnt make it but they wouldnt so upset if nobody hyped them up krystal played a really small role in the game so did geno.. at least ridley is a boss i am happy with each and every single char on the roster i just dont like the 3 landmaster final smashes falco should have been in a arwing.. although i am happy with everycharacter R.O.B. is just the brawl version of Melees mr game and Watch the roster is perfectly fine so stop your hating! plus we have sonic and snake, wifi, stage builder this game is gonna be the best game ever made. end of story

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
I don't have a single complaint.
No complaints... at all? The fact Ganondorf is still a Falcon clone doesn't matter? The fact there are not one but two Fox clones does not bother you? Those are the last two things I really have to get over before I will be fine with this roster, but those really hit me hard. It really seems like Sakurai did not try very hard at all with the roster due to five intentional clones, and at least four of them could have been unique quite easily.

I agree with the first post though, 35 is a good number. I can't say I am totally happy about the characters that got in/the franchise rep balancing, but I have pretty much gotten over that now.

Luke Groundwalker

Smash Lord
No complaints... at all? The fact Ganondorf is still a Falcon clone doesn't matter? The fact there are not one but two Fox clones does not bother you?
Since when was Ganondorf shown to be a Falcon clone and Falco and Wolf shown to be a Fox clone? I've seen every screenshot, every video, and all the supposed clone characters look like they play completely different. I don't see what's the deal here.

DMAJohnson

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone like the 35 roster?
No.

35 characters is an okay amount, but the character selection is horridly lopsided. Give some of the smaller franchises a rep instead of casting them aside as assist trophies (supposing they get even that).

GenocideMachine

Smash Cadet
I'm incredibly happy with the roster, but not for the reasons most are. I'm most happy because those furry-worshiping Krystal fanboys didn't get their way. I'm glad Geno wasn't in, either ,because he was the most lame character in SMRPG, I've always loathed him. Ridley would have been nice, but I wasn't a huge fan. Isaac would be meaningless because Golden Sun was a mediocre RPG series.

Overall, I'm quite happy, especially that I have my wonderful Captain Falcon back. The G-man's continued cloneification is fine with me, as I liked him just fine in melee, though I'm glad his up-b is now an uppercut-like attack.

Shuma

Smash Hero
I like it, it has Wolf. and Dedede. And Wario. And Sonic. And Diddy. And Olimar. And...

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
Yes. I am PSYCHED to play the following characters:
Wolf (badassinest StarFox villain ever)
R.O.B. (What's not to love?)
Ganondorf (seems he was Luigified in that Target test vid I saw of him, check Game Trailers.)
Metaknight (practically OOZES badassery.)
Dedede (I like D3, he's cool.)
PT (needs no explanation)

mas369

Smash Apprentice
If it wasn't for the fact that Mewtwo is out, this roster would be flawless in my eyes. The amount of clones is still anoying though. I'm just glad Marth is back and not a clone

Shuma

Smash Hero
Do we have visual proof that Ganon is still a clone? as far as i know, we've only seen his Up B, and it looks diferent.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
**** this network lag!

Anyways, I personally like this roster. While it's not perfect by any means, it will provide a fun and exciting game. I posted previously on another thread (the final character: Starwolf) and attacked those who were complaining about the roster. I wanted to merge what i said there and here together.

This roster is far from perfect. Toon link is looking to have a moveset alot like his adult counterpart despite the fact that he could use the Skull Hammer, Deku Leaf, Hurricane Spin, etc from Wind Waker. Falco is yet another clone with Fox Final Smash. Wolf is Luigi-fied. I am excited about Wolf but am disappointed with a lack-luster Final Smash copy. I would of preferred Claus over Ness; definitely a Ness with a copied Final Smash. Ganondorf is, pretty much the same (though with a kick *** Final Smash). R.O.B. while unexpected, could have been replaced with a more desired character. Lack of female characters.

That's it though.

However, if we look at the newcomers roster, that is pretty star studded. I think the majority of the smash bros community who are complaining about this are looking at the roster from Jan 28-29 onwards. I mean we have Sonic. The roster is pretty good despite some characters not making it. It just happens that Sakurai released alot of the interesting characters prior. Do you think we would have this same reaction if Sakurai only revealed, let's say, Metaknight, Wario, Diddy Kong, and Snake? Though some people might have same complaints, people would be going crazy (good crazy) over King Dedede, Olimar, Pokemon Trainer, Sonic, and Ike. Also we have tons of amazing and intresting stages. We have Wifi. We have stage builder. We have My Music. We have a intense and amazing single player. We have Captain Falcon. We have Ganonondorf turn into Ganon. We have Assist Trophies. Masterpieces. New items. New pokemon. Final Smashes. A AWESOME soundtrack. The list goes on. In my view, the pros outweight the cons several times over.

I really wanted to see Ridley, Geno, Micaiah, Ray 01, Claus, Bowser Jr, and Krystal. Have of mean is still hoping that there is still something hidden that no one has gotten to yet which causes all of them to be playable. Proably won't happen and I am fine with that because we have Snake, Sonic, Diddy Kong, Pit, Ike, King Dedede, Pokemon Trainer, Olimar, and Wolf.

So yeah, in short, I think this roster is Smash Bros. worthy. Melee wasn't exactly a stellar roster but yet it was a great game. Remember, any game can have mountains of characters but a game like Smash bros. only comes in a great while. And, from the previous two, they are amazingly awesome.

I think this game will spawn a new Smash scene and change how Smash Bros will be played just as Melee did. I apologize for the long post.

Garuda

Smash Ace
I personally don't care, as I've always been careful on which characters I wanted in this game (Sonic I couldn't help but want though).

BUT PLEASE REMEMBER THIS, PLEASE, I BEG OF YOU.

We have 40 characters, you guys! Include transformations, there you go! We just now learned how to play as ZSS from the start, we have Sheik, and we have the three pokemon. Just look at it that way, and the roster seems to look massive.

Shame about Ridley, Geno, and Krystal, though. But did you really expect this game to be PERFECT?

Iceman12

Smash Journeyman
I'm content with the roster, except for Ganondorf's crappy dash animation(looks like he's running with a corn cob in his a$s). Wolf and Falco may have variations of Fox's b moves, but the both of them look like they have all different aerials and smash attacks(and is there any wonder why they use Fox's moveset for a base? because its freaking good and spells awesome). Wolf doesn't seem as floaty as the rest of the cast either, which is nice. On the Krystal thing, they probably chose Wolf because he started his era on the last GOOD Starfox game(64), and he's a freaking badass(almost to Falco's level even ;p).

Marie_54

Smash Ace
The only thing i'm happy about the newly revealed roster is Marth.

If only i could change his hair color to brown...

LOL imaginary cookie for the first one who gets it.

Zevox

Smash Lord
In terms of character choices, I'm alright with it. Its not perfect, but then again nothing is. It could have been better with different character choices, but then it'd be foolish to expect the real roster would be otherwise, since the odds of your dream roster being the real one are ridiculously slim for any one individual. I do object strenuously to three of the characters - Toon Link, Zero Suit Samus, and Wolf (the former two because they are alternate versions of existing characters, and therefor redundant; the latter because I simply hate the character and believe Krystal would have been a much better choice) - but I'll learn to live with them. It has several of my most wanted and favorite characters of all time on it, including Sonic (whose presence makes this game automatically game of the decade from my point of view), Marth, Ike, Diddy, Captain Olimar, and of course obvious ones like Link and Mario. It even has characters I didn't want but believe I will like, such as Pit and R.O.B. (who I have come to see as the perfect surprise/WTF character - representative of Nintendo's history, completely unanticipated, and with complete creative license can easily be a very unique and interesting character to play as).

I do have a major objection to the return of clones, especially in the case of Ganondorf (who is too major and unique of a character to be subjected to such), and the fact that they're clones makes my complaint with Toon Link and Wolf all the worse. But its something I'll have to learn to live with, just like with Melee.

I'm also saddened by the removal of Mewtwo, since I can see no reason for it, but again I'll just have to live with it.

Overall, I feel the good of the roster outweighs the bad. Its simply disappointing to see there is so much more bad in it than I had anticipated.

Zevox

Dokuro

Smash Ace
It's okay. It has Diddy, Dedede, Metaknight, Olimar, and all those lovable favorites. There are problems with it though. We get the furry clone triplets [with the same FS even, christ.], R.O.B, no Ridley/Geno/Krystal/Bowser Jr. etc. and lack of Mewtwo. It's a disappointment, honestly, but better luck next time, I guess.

Unknownlight

Smash Journeyman
I love the roster. R.O.B. is a great WTF character. Hell, I'm not even disappointed with the three landmasters (I'm serious). The only thing I would've wanted was a third third-party and maybe Vaati.

Finesse

Smash Rookie
Now, like most people, I haven't played the game yet, so I can't make a completely formed opinion. Despite knowing what the full final roster may be, I believe that one cannot make the genuine statement of truly liking (or not liking) a given set of characters until having at least played the game somewhat thoroughly. But on a more superficial note, based on simply having overlooked the 35 character roster, I'd say I'm not particularly disappointed in it. Sure, most of us probably had higher expectations than the true outcome, but in reality, that's all they really are...higher expectations. I'm sure most people weigh their judgment strongly towards how many characters there are or which of their favorite characters failed to make this installment. Speaking of which, the only character whom I was hoping for and did not make the appearance was King K. Rool. In addition, given that Toon Link is an addition, I felt that it would have been interesting to have included Paper Mario as well. Those are two characters I would have liked to have seen in Brawl. In the end though, I hope all of you in this community can just take Smash Brawl for what it is, appreciate it, and just look on the brighter side of things. There's more to this game when you focus on the good rather than just the supposed "lack" of characters and whatever other shortcomings and disappointments a certain number of you seem to be glaring over.

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
I think the roster is great, except for:
1. Clones (Falco, Wolf, Toon Link, Ganondorf, Lucas, +/- on Lucario, +/- Luigi)
2. No Ridley, or any other Metroid Rep. (ZSS doesn't count, even if she can be used at the start of a match)
3. No Krystal
4. Landmasters (*yay*)

PyroRyuken

Smash Ace
The roster is great. Although I admit that I am not excited about R.O.B., he might turn out to be an interesting character. Although many characters did not make there return to Brawl, o well. There are new characters to play and that is better.

Top Bottom