• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone know the exact data on teching the stage?

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I can't seem to find this anywhere..... time to ask the experts.

Situation:
I smash opponent prone into the stage either from horizontal knockback, d-air or similar.

What is the tech window? How many frames?
Does % impact the frame count?
Say on horizontal knockback sometimes they bounce more than once in animation - is that relevant?
There seems to be sometimes a window of invincibility, depends on %. Is my basic impression wrong?
Also - why does shield button work sometimes and mashing "A" work others?

I could go out and do a pile of tests but if the knowledge is already out there it would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
Press the shield button up to 20 frames before impact. If you fail, you can't attempt it again for 40 frames.

60 frames = 1 second, for reference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 269706

Doesn't matter if you're teching the ground, ceiling, or a wall. For every tech, the shield button must be inputted within 20 frames of impact in order to successfully tech. It doesn't matter how fast the character is going, how high their percentage is, or anything else. 20 frames is all there is to it.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't believe it. The numbers suggested are the case for Melee, but Brawl's window is based on distance from the stage when you press Shield, usually with a tech window between 3-5 frames, if I recall correctly. I imagine it's more similar to Brawl than Melee.

One thing that could throw people off, too, is that the Shield input in Brawl required a full press of the L or R trigger, while only a slight bit will make it register in Smash 4.

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Thanks guys, I think you may be right TheReflexWonder. Take Samus' n-air kick. It sends you horizontal and prone. Simply fooling around last evening I feel there is a delay but I'm not confident it's 20 frames and I'm not sure exactly how it works relative to impact. If the target is 30-40% before n-air impact it's quite hard to tech whereas the high end 70%+ is quite easy.
Likewise grounded meteors I don't think the window is 20 frames as the animation can be much shorter.
There's some invincibility flashing, but it doesn't look consistent, depends on % with less at higher %. This is all really relevant to Samus as Charge Shot tech chase is extremely useful but I'm sure a whole host of characters would benefit from knowing the precise details if anyone knows them (or figures it out from code or otherwise).

Last edited:
Top Bottom