• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone here suffer from social anxiety and/or depression?

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I have severe social anxiety and mild depression. I may have shown some hints of it here and there in my posts, but I want to know if anyone out there has this issue to feeling anxious while around people?

Last edited:

Pachinkosam

I have no friends, Im dead inside
My cousin she felt like that at age 13 and try to commit suicide. Mainly because they bullied her in school and called her fat which she wasn't. Thou I hope that's not the case on this thread.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
@ E-Mann E-Mann try not to double post in future, just use the edit feature if you have something to add when your post is the last in the thread. :)

Tali vas Normandy

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I not much of a people person either. I especially feel uncomfortable in 1 on 1 conversations
It only happens when I mentally compare my life with other people online or in real life.
I always get them when I think of my future. I just don't see myself be successful.

D

Deleted member

I used to get depressed for 3 straight years (2011, 2012, and 2013). I think I get nervous when talking to someone 1 on 1. Always get careful on that.

I don't really think that is a case of social anxiety though.

Various social situations throughout my life have sent me into a tear-filled panic, including (but not limited to) calling someone on a phone.

So that's something.

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
I am depressed off and on... I get depressed since I don't have many friends, yet I am too shy to talk to others. Hard to get out of comfort zone.

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
Social Anxiety / Situationial Depression.
I tend to have a hard time talking to new people when it comes to IRL. I'm also a huge on/off switch when it comes to being happy or depressed based off a situation.

AZ_Spellbound

Smash Journeyman
I get it around people i don't know. I tend to act and dress feminine, so being around different people makes me feel really out of place

Spennicus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
groovysmithy
3DS FC
2750-1131-0443
I've had problems with anxiety and depression (mostly anxiety) pretty much my entire life. I've always been rather neurotic and tend to fear the worst in every situation. I think a lot of it for me was that I was exposed to the news at a very young age and it basically made me think that the world was a big, scary, evil place. I'm also an extreme hypochondriac and I always assume that any little bump, bruise, or scratch is a sign of a serious illness. I've gotten better at dealing with it but I know that I'll never truly be cured of it. I refuse to take medications because most of them (namely benzodiazepines) are highly addictive, though I do have a prescription for Ativan and have taken it a few times for panic attacks. I've talked to counselors but they all seem to say the same things and none of it really helps me. I find that going for walks has been the most helpful thing for controlling my issues. As a result, my anxiety/depression usually peaks in the winter when it's too cold for me to go for walks and I wind up stuck in the house all day.

JayTheUnseen

Smash Champion
I do. I once considered making a social group on here for people who do, but I never actually did.
I thought it make be a good idea as it might be easier for people like this to communicate and connect with people whom we know have the same problems as us.

Yashichi

Smash Journeyman
It only happens when I mentally compare my life with other people online or in real life.
compare yourself to literally any brony and i guarantee your life will improve tenfold

Last edited:

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
This thread reminds of a quote from Cowboy Bebop:

Faye: "I am alone. I don't need any comrades, they're not worth it. I end up worrying about things I shouldn't. You know, me being such a prize and all that. All the guys end up fighting over me like dogs. They say humans are social animals, they can't live alone. But you can live pretty well by yourself. I tell ya, instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself."

I don't have any actual mental or social issues so I doubt I can empathize here, but I definitely do prefer to be alone (it's usually more satisfying). I've noticed I can easily switch it on and be the life of a party when I'm in that kind of environment. As a result people usually invite me to events and parties, but it doesn't feel like me and it can be draining. The only time I truly enjoy other's company is when it's 1 on 1, usually a girlfriend that I'm seriously into and get along with very well. Also smaller Melee smash get togethers can be fun.

Last edited:

Lily♫

(✿◠‿◠)
NNID
NheroArconix
3DS FC
5112-3935-5323
This thread reminds of a quote from Cowboy Bebop:

Faye: "I am alone. I don't need any comrades, they're not worth it. I end up worrying about things I shouldn't. You know, me being such a prize and all that. All the guys end up fighting over me like dogs. They say humans are social animals, they can't live alone. But you can live pretty well by yourself. I tell ya, instead of feeling alone in a group, it's better to have real solitude all by yourself."

I don't have any actual mental or social issues so I doubt I can empathize here, but I definitely do prefer to be alone (it's usually more satisfying). I've noticed I can easily switch it on and be the life of a party when I'm in that kind of environment. As a result people usually invite me to events and parties, but it doesn't feel like me and it can be draining. The only time I truly enjoy other's company is when it's 1 on 1, usually a girlfriend that I'm seriously into and get along with very well. Also smaller Melee smash get togethers can be fun.
This is likely just you being an Introvert, which is someone who generally prefers being alone.

Plunder

Smash Ace
NNID
1337-7734-8008
This is likely just you being an Introvert, which is someone who generally prefers being alone.
Yep, but not completely since I still very much do prefer the company of a select few just not in huge quantities. My brother is the opposite since it seems he has to constantly be around others to feel good, and for him the more the merrier (hates being by himself). There is probably a happy medium there.

I find that the way I am seems to serve me much better in life. I learned very fast how to be strong emotionally and not rely too much on others as an emotional crutch, I'm not over eager to please people, stranger's opinions of me rarely make an impact if ever, and I learned how to do lot of necessary things on my own. Most importantly I developed so many skills and talents that I never would have if I craved other's attention constantly (taught myself piano, programming, flash animation, video editing, robotics)

I see other people crumble emotionally and whine when the smallest little thing doesn't go their way or when they have a break up, etc. I used to think it was all an act; a dramatic cry for attention, but now I realize that maybe I'm just different and that that is actually how fragile and reliant on other people most are. Perhaps THAT is the norm, and I'm the weirdo.

Last edited:

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Yep, but not completely since I still very much do prefer the company of a select few just not in huge quantities. My brother is the opposite since it seems he has to constantly be around others to feel good, and for him the more the merrier (hates being by himself). There is probably a happy medium there.

I find that the way I am seems to serve me much better in life. I learned very fast how to be strong emotionally and not rely too much on others as an emotional crutch, I'm not over eager to please people, stranger's opinions of me rarely make an impact if ever, and I learned how to do lot of necessary things on my own. Most importantly I developed so many skills and talents that I never would have if I craved other's attention constantly (taught myself piano, programming, flash animation, video editing, robotics)

I see other people crumble emotionally and whine when the smallest little thing doesn't go their way or when they have a break up, etc. I used to think it was all an act; a dramatic cry for attention, but now I realize that maybe I'm just different and that that is actually how fragile and reliant on other people most are. Perhaps THAT is the norm, and I'm the weirdo.
I'm very fragile, yet an introvert.

littleuniverse

Smash Cadet
Yea... Anxiety over thinking myself to tears if I'm annoying and that no one likes me and that I'm a burden+ depression =Not a fun time. I'm also passively suicidal; not suicidal to where I would do something harmful, but if something were to happen where I'm in a situation I could potentially die...-shrugs shoulders- thankfully I'm seeing a therapist and treatment has been helping... But it doesn't mean I don't have those nights where I can't stop my anxiety and have a mental breakdown.

Frisk.

Child of Mercy
Everyone feels down at some points in their life. I'm generally a pretty cheerful person however I must admit that I don't really take insults or rude / sarcastic remarks well, I'll usually feel pretty gloomy if someone acts like that towards me, especially if it's about something that I've worked hard towards, even if it's just criticism not presented politely I'll most likely feel dull about it.

If you ever feel really down then I think it's best to talk to someone about it. Not someone online, someone that you trust (if there's no one then a professional is always an option though a little intimidating). While you should tell someone try not to let it define you, I've known people who just can't stop themselves from telling people about how negative they feel, I feel bad to say this but it's most likely because of the sympathy and comforting that they receive by doing so. I imagine it would be easy to get addicted to something like that so keep that in mind if you ever go down that road.

hopefully it wasn't rude or wrong of my to make a post like this when I can't talk from my own personal experience.. to anyone who is actually going through tough times, I can only imagine how painful and difficult it must be for you and I sincerely wish you the best.

(Buddha)

The Old Chap
NNID
Buddhamitsu
3DS FC
0920-2087-1604
I am going to be honest. I have social anxiety, I am socially awkward. Not to sure about depression. I mean, if I got depressed at this age, I would be put in some kind of therapy. For me, I can't talk to people correctly. I ask strange questions without knowing how weird they are. I have gotten weird looks to. Not to mention I work much better alone (Not while playing Video games) and I usually don't like to sit next to other people. The only true people I can act normal around are the GameStop employees (lol) very close friends and anonymous people on Smashboards. The last one is because I know we all have a lot of things in common so why would I be scared?

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
Yea... Anxiety over thinking myself to tears if I'm annoying and that no one likes me and that I'm a burden+ depression =Not a fun time. I'm also passively suicidal; not suicidal to where I would do something harmful, but if something were to happen where I'm in a situation I could potentially die...-shrugs shoulders- thankfully I'm seeing a therapist and treatment has been helping... But it doesn't mean I don't have those nights where I can't stop my anxiety and have a mental breakdown.
That's how I feel. With the exception that I'm a very fragile and pensive "human", if I could even call myself that, considering my putrid social skills. I haven't even got a damn driving license yet. I think it's almost like I don't want to advance with my life in order to fit in with society. I don't understand why I've become a waste of society.

...Now I'm rambling on too long.

E-Mann

Smash Ace
NNID
TheGFlower
3DS FC
1891-1753-7374
I appreciate all of you for sharing your stories and struggles with social anxiety and/or depression. Thanks a lot. You really make me feel like I'm not the only one going through these internal struggles in public, especially if you're still in school. :)

ffdgh

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4768-8177-0708
No depression but I definitely prefer to keep to myself. Not good with conversations and I hate direct eye contact with strangers lol.

littleuniverse

Smash Cadet
I appreciate all of you for sharing your stories and struggles with social anxiety and/or depression. Thanks a lot. You really make me feel like I'm not the only one going through these internal struggles in public, especially if you're still in school. :)
I have the exact same feeling about my social skills as well... HOW DO PEOPLE DO THIS????? and don't worry I'm the same age and I don't know how to drive ^^'

Glad we could help! We're here for each other :D

Last edited:

IggyKoopaStar

Smash Rookie
NNID
IggyKoopaStar
3DS FC
5344-1460-7151
I do pretty much suffer of both and quite intensively. This is so hard to live with when despite trying to not be like that anymore, it does not work.

Social anxiety I guess it's due to how most people I saw have been trying to destroy my life at their best, and they did reach their objective. I try to maybe let another gap open here but I don't want to go through this again...

And, with this, it lead me to depression. Not sure of myself anymore, I hate myself, I think I suck and my ideas are bad, and so on.

For those which are in this, you have my total support because it's hard and I know because I'm going through that since a really long time. Some years, even.

Z3RG

Smash Rookie
NNID
Scrotesmcgeex2
Before I joined Smashboards, I'll be honest, I was a very sad puppy. Anxiety and depression levels were through the roof before I received medicine for it. The depression got so bad that I ended up attempting suicide a couple times when I was 13.

For over five years, I kept all of my feelings bottled up inside, which is something that you should never do. After all those years, I finally reached a point where I was having suicidal thoughts again, but they were even worse than when I was 13. It got to the point where I started having vivid dreams of me hanging myself, cutting my wrists, etc. I had to tell one of my best friends about it and he immediately took me to the hospital, which I thank him almost every day for that, because if I didn't tell him about my problem, then I would've taken my own life. Soon afterwards, I had to go to counseling, which helped me a little bit, but I saw it as a waste of time and my counselor saw that.

I still have a bit of a problem with depression, but I'm able to deal with it now.
-------
As for the anxiety, it's not really that much of a problem for me anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still an issue, but not as big of an issue as before. If you were to meet me IRL, for the most part, I'm a quiet individual. It's not that I'm shy, it's just the way I am. I'm very social online, and if you start a conversation with me, I'll try my best to communicate back to you.
-------
So, my advice is, find ways to break that social barrier that you possibly have. As for the depression, definitely talk to someone about that. Don't let it get to the point where you begin having suicidal thoughts, like I did. If it's already that bad, it's very important that you talk to someone about that immediately. It's very difficult, believe me I've been there, but you gotta force yourself to do that. Even then, it's very difficult. Like I said, I know how it feels. I've been there, and done that. It's not fun. It can be traumatic.

PrincessDoorknobs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Silent.Rhy
I have been suffering depression and social anxiety for awhile now 5 years. Over the years I have become more happier and I do try to interact with others now a bit more, but it's harder now I think, I don't really go out, and it's harder for me to understand others mainly because I've gotten out of a really bad relationship which was somewhat abusive not only that my ex cheated on me as well so it's hard, but I've gotten better I think I might even graduate from high school few months earlier.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
I have what I think is social anxiety, because I absolutely hate meeting people. I can't stand getting out of my comfort zone, so I have few but very good friends. When I get to know people well enough, I completely change and am outgoing. Depression wise, I have felt like committing suicide a few times, but I'm okay now.

Top Bottom