• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does anyone actually KNOW Lucas?

Kirby Phelps (PK)

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PKGaming
3DS FC
0989-1762-3370
I mean, does anyone here actually know KNOW Lucas? Like when Lucas was announced as a playable character on the Brawl site, was anyone really excited and happy because they actually KNOW who he is? Or am I the only one? :ohwell:

SkYHiGh

Smash Cadet
I never knew who he was. I never played Mother 3 (afaik it was only released in Japan, and I can't play a game in Japanese). It was a nice change from Ness, I'll say that =]

PKstarstorm

Smash Rookie
i knew lucas. he was a predicted character to join brawl. i was disappointed with his inclusion because lucas is in a japan-only game that will never be remade for the U.S.

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
I knew he was from Earthbound, but that was it. I googled and searched and read until I couldn't find anything else and... Now I'm a big fan. Haha XD;
But basically, no, not really.

Pai

Smash Cadet
NNID
Paestries
3DS FC
2036-7921-7608
In japanese, there's no L, so to make the "Lu" sound, you're have to either use "ru" or "ryu". And S doesn't go by itself so the closest you can get without adding something like "su" (Ryukasu?) would just be Ryuka. Or at least, that's my theory. I'm still learning japanese. u__u

BacklashMarth

Smash Lord
In japanese, there's no L, so to make the "Lu" sound, you're have to either use "ru" or "ryu". And S doesn't go by itself so the closest you can get without adding something like "su" (Ryukasu?) would just be Ryuka. Or at least, that's my theory. I'm still learning japanese. u__u
*high 5's Pai* Yea another person learning japanese. Btw, hes right.

Royblazer

Smash Apprentice
I didn't know which game exactly, but I knew he was from Mother. Cause of the art style / the way he looks.

Juggalo

Smash Journeyman
Nah, but the first person I asked told me he was from Mother 3, so I was up to date pretty quickly. Then wikipedia taught me the rest.

JumpTheShark

Smash Rookie
MOTHER 3 is my favorite videogame. I've always been a big fan of the MOTHER games, for their general silliness and whackiness. But MOTHER 3 really captivated me with its story, and cast of non-cliched main characters. I was extremely happy with Lucas' revealing in Brawl, since he's my favorite video game character, and it makes me giddy just seeing other people playing as him.

So yeah, I know Lucas.

Aevin

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'll admit it. When I first saw the Brawl update, I knew basically who he was, but my initial reaction was disappointment--Is he REALLY replacing Ness? *sob*

He grew on me very quickly, though, and now I like both Lucas and Ness equally. I've since investigated his game and character, had several plot details spoiled, and I'm DYING to play Mother 3.

Thand

Smash Cadet
Despite knowing nothing about him prior to the Dojo update, I was epically excited... I mained Ness in Melee and was looking for a little change.

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
I knew Lucas before brawl, kuz i wanted mother 3 but never got it. But i played it at my friends house and THANK GOD they didnt put PK Love for his final smash. When i first heard about final smashes, I was hoping for PK rockin for ness.

Another thing nobody realizes that Lucas and Ness use Paula, Poo moves, and the other fighting dude in mother 3 and sumone else's moves. ( Don't kno the names for mother 3 kuz i don't read Japanese). So Ness=Paula and Poo, And Lucas= fighting dude and someone else. Still think Claus should of made it, even as an assist trophy.

ForteX

Smash Journeyman
I knew Lucas, and wanted Masked Man Claus something bad. I know everything about him. I beat Mother 3 right around the time he was announced too, so I was pretty happy. I was more happy when he wasn't a dismal failure like Ness, though. I main him now because he's awesome; and I support Mother 3 being released in America. And if it means maining Lucas and winning tournaments or what the hell ever, I'll do it, just to get some attention to Nintendo. Like they'd listen.

Also, just to fix the post before mine:

Ness uses Paula and Poo's moves.
Lucas uses Kumatora's moves, as well as Duster's rope snake.

i knew lucas. he was a predicted character to join brawl. i was disappointed with his inclusion because lucas is in a japan-only game that will never be remade for the U.S.
you also have to think that brawl is a japanese game so why wouldnt they include lucas the Mother series (in japan) is almost as popular as Halo is to americans.

ChiiGamer

Smash Rookie
I'm sure MOTHER fans knew who he was. Since Mother 3 only came out in Japan, don't expect a lot of people to know about it. Especially since MOTHER isn't like one of the "everbody knows" games like Super Mario, and Metroid, etc.

HOHO420

Smash Apprentice
Thx fortex, I didn't know the names of the Mother 3 characters. Yeah, Mother 3 will probably never come out in the U.S. They should at least put it up on the Virtual console. I'll join you in winning tourneys with Lucas, and Ness. Don't underestimate Mother's Boys!

WurmTheory

Smash Cadet
Unfortunately, I didn't know who he was, but, being the Earthbound fan that I am, I did a lot of research and found out. I wish I could play the game...

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
I mean, does anyone here actually know KNOW Lucas? Like when Lucas was announced as a playable character on the Brawl site, was anyone really excited and happy because they actually KNOW who he is? Or am I the only one? :ohwell:
I was thoroughly excited! I'm a huge MOTHER 3 fan, and it was quite a happy day when Lucas was finally revealed on the DOJO. :bigthumbu

I played Ness since SSB64, so I ended up using Wikipedia to read up on the other Mother games. So yeah, I do know Lucas. (How did Ryuka end up being romanized as Lucas?)
Because Lucas and Claus's names were taken from the Agota Kristof novel The Notebook. Though the former's name is pronounced "Loo-kuss" in Brawl, it is pronounced "Loo-kah" in the original French, which would explain the Japanese "Ryuka." ;)

(And, yes, I knew that before I looked on Wikipedia--I really only used it because I couldn't remember which Kristof novel served as inspiration for the character's names.)

I knew Lucas, and wanted Masked Man Claus something bad. I know everything about him. I beat Mother 3 right around the time he was announced too, so I was pretty happy. I was more happy when he wasn't a dismal failure like Ness, though. I main him now because he's awesome; and I support Mother 3 being released in America. And if it means maining Lucas and winning tournaments or what the hell ever, I'll do it, just to get some attention to Nintendo. Like they'd listen.

Also, just to fix the post before mine:

Ness uses Paula and Poo's moves.
Lucas uses Kumatora's moves, as well as Duster's rope snake.
I wanted Claus, too, friend. :(

Sounds like you and I are pretty much on the same wavelength on the whole Claus-Lucas thing. Good stuff.

PanamaConMan

Smash Cadet
When I first heard of Lucas, I was like, why would we want Lucas when we could just have Ness. But when he was announced on dojo I did lots of research on Mother 3 and know alot about it now.
But when I found out Lucas was going to be a clone of Ness(I know now that he's not much of a clone) I didn't want Ness to come back, and I wanted brawl to represent just Mother 3. So I was a huge supporter of Claus also.
I still hold a grudge against Ness because I wanted Claus in instead of Ness.
But Lucas is my secondary now, he's like the Ness I've always wanted, with a rich personal history.

Ballistaboy

Smash Journeyman
A friend told me about the blond kid with hair and a stick.
dont forget about his huge snake

I heard about Mother 3 never was a huge fan or anything. I started off maining the Random button, and thats how i got my mains

ParanoidDrone

Smash Master
I'd heard of him, but didn't know much other than what game he came from. Before he was announced, I didn't think he was all that likely to be in Brawl, since Mother is kind of an obscure series in general. I'm so glad I was wrong this time. ^_^

Star Ryan

Smash Cadet
I was always a huge Mother fan, and anticipated Mother 3 since the N64. I've still not played the game, but I've known of Lucas.

Until the translation's finished, Ness is still cooler.
:)

Top Bottom