• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does 3.5 Take Inspiration from Smash 4 In Any Way?

Convour

Smash Rookie
Smash 4 is an entirely different game, but I feel like there are some good things that the P:M team could take from it. I was wondering if maybe 3.5 had at all, or if the team maybe considers looking at Smash 4 for the next release.

nullife

Smash Cadet
I might be biased but I honestly feel like Smash 4 took inspiration from PM in some ways.

CaptainKirby

Smash Lord
The only bit of content I can actively think of in resemblance to Smash 4 is G&W's new white and black outline alt.

Last edited:

ThreeSided

Smash Ace
Doing so represents a very risky move. PMBR has explicitly said that nothing from Smash 3DS/WiiU will be added to stay in good graces with Nintendo. Staying away from C&D is a top priority.

Phan7om

ドリームランドの悪夢
We just gotta wait and see. If anything they are very subtle changes that they took that probably most people wont notice.

Ace76

Smash Cadet
I don't see how there would be any legal ramifications. They are not selling this game for a profit and you still need brawl to play it. I thought the entire reason things like action replay are legal, and sold at refutable stores is because you are allowed to make altercations to a game that you have purchased. I think this big scare about Nintendo calling for a C&D are a little ridiculous. I know theres a case a gaming company tried to make against an altercation of a game that already failed.

Humanity

Smash Cadet
I don't see how there would be any legal ramifications. They are not selling this game for a profit and you still need brawl to play it. I thought the entire reason things like action replay are legal, and sold at refutable stores is because you are allowed to make altercations to a game that you have purchased. I think this big scare about Nintendo calling for a C&D are a little ridiculous. I know theres a case a gaming company tried to make against an altercation of a game that already failed.
Yes, you need to own Brawl to play Project M, but you don't need to own Smash 4. If they start adding features that were thus far exclusive to Smash 4, especially new characters, it could mean people who would otherwise have purchased Smash 4 turning to Project M.

Nintendo doesn't want that, obviously, and I believe it's within their rights to shut down a group that's essentially providing content that's copyrighted by Nintendo to people who have not paid for that specific content. Even if they weren't, they've got more money to spend on lawyers. They'll win one way or the other.

In all likelihood, Project M will only survive as long as Nintendo feels that they are pushing sales for Brawl more than they are detracting sales from Smash 4.

Last edited:

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Doing so represents a very risky move. PMBR has explicitly said that nothing from Smash 3DS/WiiU will be added to stay in good graces with Nintendo. Staying away from C&D is a top priority.
Like, even mechanics wise?

Paquito

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo doesn't want that, obviously, and I believe it's within their rights to shut down a group that's essentially providing content that's copyrighted by Nintendo to people who have not paid for that specific content. Even if they weren't, they've got more money to spend on lawyers. They'll win one way or the other.
They're not within their rights at all, so the issue is they have more money to spend on lawyers. And the wise move is to not piss off the giant.

That said, there is some risk for Nintendo. Namely, the bad press they could get from aggressively trying to shut-down Project M. They would probably start with a cease and desist letter to attempt to scare the Project M developers into outright quitting. The best way to fight it at that point would be to post the letter publicly, and have us all spread the word far and wide, get the story picked up by media outlets, and try to get the bad-press train running ASAP.

That would be a pain in the a$$ though, so it's better to just avoid pissing them off :)

Top Bottom