• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you want there to be a final version?

1MachGO

Smash Ace
Obviously we all want a COMPLETED version (one with all the characters and no longer deemed a demo) but do you want a "final" version? A final version being a release which would no longer gets balancing support or other updates?

Honestly, I see advantages to both. What would be your preference?

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
One thing I always thought was a massive disadvantage for console games, especially Nintendo ones, was that they were ONLY final versions. Games like StarCraft get refined over time through periodic balance changes. I think the latter system, now that it's actually viable, is the best way to go and also keeps the game fresh with each update.

foshio

Smash Journeyman
Constant balancing would be terrible. Games have to be left to allow a metagame to develop. If developers were constantly messing around with characters because they didn't like how the character was played by the players the players will feel like they are being punished for playing and will stop playing. There should definitely be a final product with no further edits.

(look at what happened to wizzy... and brawl+)

Anti Guy

Couch Tomato
BRoomer
NNID
CouchTomato87
Constant balancing would be terrible. Games have to be left to allow a metagame to develop. If developers were constantly messing around with characters because they didn't like how the character was played by the players the players will feel like they are being punished for playing and will stop playing. There should definitely be a final product with no further edits.

That's why I'm suggesting the StarCraft method, and I specifically brought up StarCraft because it's considered one of the most finely balanced assymetric games ever. It's not constantly balanced, but the metagame was allowed to evolve, and based on the imbalances from that on the pro scene, small balance updates were added over time to the point where it was so finely tuned.

Paradoxium

Smash Master

Well, using sc2 as an example, constantly messing with the game brought a stable meta game, they changed a lot of things, but they were small. During the hots beta they updated like every week to work out obvious kinks, imbalances. But after a while they slowed to allow meta game strategies to develop, these last updates are to merely help shape the meta game that has already been established, not overhaul it completely. As of now I see project m in the beginning stages of sc2, a developing meta game with the assistance of the game developers. Once the "Final Product" is released if they updated it at all it would be to help shape the meta game that has already been established.

If they were to release a final version with no updates they would have to get everything just right, and if there was an exploit discovered, players would abuse the hell out of it, or it could end up like melee with like 10 viable characters.

So small updates after final release? Thumbs up from me

StarCraft 2 is awesome

Eltrion

Smash Cadet
I think after the completed version, it should be scaled back to yearly versions. Then we can just call them "Project M 2015" or something.

Any more frequently seems unnecessary if there are no new developments or game breaking glitches.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
Constant balancing is what killed Brawl+ no? I think yearly versions would be better but honestly, I'd prefer a final version.

QQQQQQQ7777777

Smash Champion
Constant balancing is what killed Brawl+ no? I think yearly versions would be better but honestly, I'd prefer a final version.
I`m pretty sure constant balancing isn`t the only thing that killed brawl +, besides, isn`t the PMBR the same people who made Brawl +?

Paradoxium

Smash Master
I think after the completed version, it should be scaled back to yearly versions. Then we can just call them "Project M 2015" or something.

Any more frequently seems unnecessary if there are no new developments or game breaking glitches.
yea that's what I meant, I don't think that the "final release" could be perfect, its impossible, but it should be pretty close so any updates after the release would be very small and very infrequent.

Edit: disregard everything else i said lol, if a final version is released, then i assume it went through long process of developing a meta game, balance patches, glitch fixing, and the very long process involved with a final version, what i mentioned above would probably be more along the lines of a beta

PrinceOfDalaam

Smash Apprentice
I`m pretty sure constant balancing isn`t the only thing that killed brawl +, besides, isn`t the PMBR the same people who made Brawl +?
Some of PMBR were some of the ppl who made Brawl+, whereas the rest of the B+ crew were the ones who killed it, which if I remember correctly was through trimonthly changes.

Top Bottom