• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you use your taunt? Why?

tk-337

Smash Rookie
When I play as Ganondorf, I just spam his up-smash instead of an actual taunt.
"THWUAAH!"
"THWUAAH!"
"THWUAAH!"

dashgg

Waifu War Veteran
NNID
CrowXV
Usually I'll either side taunt or down taunt if I pocket a really powerful move

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
For psychological reasons.

Last edited:

Lustful_Kaiser

Smash Cadet
NNID
Kaiserine
3DS FC
3282-3064-4273
I taunt in the beginning of the match for a way of saying "lets have a good match", but if someone taunts at me for dying when their serious normally I'll fight harder and taunt at the end of the match. If the person is just taunting to mess around, I don't take it anything personal or so. Normally when I have matches with friends and if someone dies for the cheap/odd way we normally taunt.

Toon_Stink

Smash Rookie
I taunt whenever I can get it in, because of the disrespect. Alternatively, mid combat as Fox I use my uptaunt to play mind games.

IxaVerse

Smash Rookie
I see taunts as the Smash equivalent of teabagging so I never really did it unless I'm playing with friends. But accidentally taunting during battle taunting makes me look like a total prick and makes me lose a stock. Fun.

★Malik★™

Smash Ace
When my opponents taunt after taking my first stock, I always say "don't taunt me unless you're about to win."

They never win.

I don't taunt though. I'm one of those who take offense to it so I'd look like a hypocrite if I were to do it.

LucarioDude

Not Gray Fox
I taunt in the beginning of the match for a way of saying "lets have a good match", but if someone taunts at me for dying when their serious normally I'll fight harder and taunt at the end of the match. If the person is just taunting to mess around, I don't take it anything personal or so. Normally when I have matches with friends and if someone dies for the cheap/odd way we normally taunt.
I do the exact same thing. I usually taunt at the beginning just to see if they do the same as a friendly gesture. Although there are times when I get too excited and just use a taunt right after defeating the opponent's stock, then regret it right after they go all-out on me.

D

Deleted member

To be honest, I don't really taunt much. Unless it's a friendly gesture of sorts.

LemonOtter

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4897-7061-4628
because just saying "okay" is applicable in so many situations in game. In fact its so applicable its not even not even funny, because its funny.

SlickSnorlax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Persei
3DS FC
4699-5385-1643
:4dk:: because I don't know
:4ganondorf:: because you're in for a pounding
:4link:: because it just looks awesome when you time his up taunt right and it ends when they die

jayelldee02

Smash Rookie
I usually taunt just for fun. But that's only when the CPU isn't attacking me. When it is, that's when things get real.

Triggerpig

Smash Cadet
NNID
Triggerpigking
Generally in for glory I taunt before the start of the match, I consider it somewhat a bow before a duel like you get alot in dark souls, kinda have to try and shut that off in anthers ladder though, not alot of people do it there and I sometimes instinctively do it XD.

moist teabag

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5189-1454
i usually taunt if it's a close gameamd we both SD. I'll usually also kill myself if the other person SDs by legit accident (and not going too deep for the kill) Also i taunt either one of us gets a genuinely good KO on the other, just to acknowledge that was a good kill

Sünta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sünta_Foot
3DS FC
2234-7187-3957
I usually taunt after every KO in friendlies, because we did that since the beginning of Brawl. However, if the player is someone I never faced before, I usually don't taunt... unless I get a savage spike, then I take out my sword.

MioTinto

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3454-2162-7019
As a Dedede player, I feel like it would be illegal for me to refrain from taunting. Usually the crouch, but the little dance down taunt as well. Usually after a KO, but sometimes, I crouch in the middle of a battle to infuriate the opponent, which can lead to some good reads.
When I play as Ness, I mostly taunt after a KO: the only exception is if I find myself battling a Falcon who pulled out his "Show me your moves" taunt, in which case I'll reply with "Okay". Which taunt I use in other situations depend on how the opponent was KO'd: if it was from a Bthrow, I'll display the down taunt, as it produces a visual effect similar to that of a Bthrow, if the KO involved a Fsmash, I'll Ftaunt to bring out the bat again, and if it involved anything else, or I'm just feeling like a ****, I'll Okey.

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
Depends on my mood:

*Are you an amazing player who is kicking my ass? I might run towards the side and go HIIIIIIII before rushing back in to fight you, just to see if there's any effect on you.

*I taunt with Jiggly a lot because she is ****ING ADORABLE HOW CAN YOU GET MAD.

''Fabulous'' is an understatement, darling

*Did I just really Zero to death you? Did I really just pulled off that amazing kill or comeback? You can rest assured I am getting into the stage if I ain't there already and taunting bby woohoo

*Did you just get the most stylish of punishment, kill or spike on me? Holy **** I must congratulate you with a Hiiiii

DAng boy I just got BURied

*Do I find your playstyle annoying? Let me just do a long ass taunt in front of you and you can hit me if you want, I still taunted right in the middle of you combo'ing me and that **** will possibly stay in your head in the next matches even if they are agaisnt other people! Dude fight me again, you can't let me disrespect you like that lmao

I'd love to clarify I am a super respectful player and I even congratulate my opponent on amazing plays during tourneys, I just like messing around for fun bbys.

Last edited:

moist teabag

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3110-5189-1454
Depends on my mood:

*Are you an amazing player who is kicking my ***? I might run towards the side and go HIIIIIIII before rushing back in to fight you, just to see if there's any effect on you.

*I taunt with Jiggly a lot because she is ****ING ADORABLE HOW CAN YOU GET MAD.

''Fabulous'' is an understatement, darling

*Did I just really Zero to death you? Did I really just pulled off that amazing kill or comeback? You can rest assured I am getting into the stage if I ain't there already and taunting bby woohoo

*Did you just get the most stylish of punishment, kill or spike on me? Holy **** I must congratulate you with a Hiiiii

DAng boy I just got BURied

*Do I find your playstyle annoying? Let me just do a long *** taunt in front of you and you can hit me if you want, I still taunted right in the middle of you combo'ing me and that **** will possibly stay in your head in the next matches even if they are agaisnt other people! Dude fight me again, you can't let me disrespect you like that lmao
I'd love to clarify I am a super respectful player and I even congratulate my opponent on amazing plays during tourneys, I just like messing around for fun bbys.
This is probably the best post on this thread tbh

Smash Ace
Always Down Taunt with Falcon. SHOW ME YA MOVES!!! We always do this. Side taunt at beginning of match. COMMMOONNNNN!!!!!! Shows respect lol.

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
I don't really taunt much, but as ZSS I usually go for an up-taunt (is that all?) when I do something spectacular, or a side-taunt (try me) when my opponent is stalling, camping, or as a mutual greeting.

One Handed Sword

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
1005-9385-3445
On for glory I taunt people every time I knock out someone. It manages to grind their gears and they fight me at their best or worst. There were many instances I taunted people after laying a smackdown on people and they manage to make a amazing comeback and beat me. In the long run it helps me and the person I am fighting.

Its a shame I have to be the villain for the match though.

Ravine

Smash Journeyman
I met someone who tried to get me to taunt so he could attack me while I was in the middle of an animation.
DEATH TO SCUM

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
I'll only taunt if someone does it at a really petty moment (when I SD mostly). After that I'll taunt every time I KO them until they quit.

Toon_Stink

Smash Rookie
Actually, a good feint attack is using Fox's up taunt.... Despite the audio tracks of his up b and his up taunt being different, I find when I do this ever, people tend to shield against it. And I suppose that's good fit following up with a grab.

Toon_Stink

Smash Rookie
It's people like you that make me not like playing Online
Just gonna throw that out there
I'm sorry... I'm not that kind of for glory scrub... I'm actually good! Tbh for glory isn't all that great... Definitely not a suitable "training grounds".

Bedoop

Poyon
NNID
$50.00 / $??.??
3DS FC
0877-1726-4217
As for my reasons of taunting:
  • I most-if-not-always like to taunt at the start of the match as a "Good Luck!" to the foe, but that usually just gets me smacked in the face.
  • Sometimes I taunt after my foe gets a good kill on me. +respect.
  • Taunting to discard my ability is something useful.
  • WARNING: Taunting after you get a kill (Or even worse, taunting when you land a hit that launches me off stage but I'm not dead) makes me pretty pissed, so expect maximum disrespects, taunts a plenty and rapid-fire crouches until you're gone into the blast zone.
  • Other than the above, I only actually taunt for disrespects when...
    story of my life.png

Always something to taunt for. :4dedede:

ThePuffDaddy

Smash Apprentice
NNID
flashman69
I taunt always after I get a kill if my opponent sucks. If im playing a good opponent I'm usually too focused on the match.
However, when my friends are over I make sure I taunt after every kill. And also when I used to main Jigglypuff I spammed the taunt in my signature ITS JUST TOO ****ING ADORABLE!!!!

Squigglydot

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0404-7785-8307
I usually taunt out of habit, usually with a down-taunt from Ike. Either that, or I'll do it at the start of a match, kind of as a jokey "hey lets just have fun" kinda gesture. I don't mind at all if other taunt tho, it really doesn't matter.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
I taunt when I kill people, at the start at the match, when I'm so far in the lead that my opponent can't do anything about it, If my opponent isn't taking the match seriously, doing team match and my partner wants to take them on by himself or as a small challenge to myself to taunt in the most dangerous situation and escape unharmed.

Curse you nintendo for limiting taunts in matchmaking!!!!

Last edited:

Powerman293

Smash Ace
I always up taunt when I kill in For Glory. Sorry if that sounds dickish, but taunting to me isn't disrespectful. They (or I) got the kill, they have the time inbetween stocks that asides from resetting to neutral or charging projectiles don't have much to do.

Masked Bro

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0404-6085-1995
I play characters with "Okay", and "Time to tip the scales!" as taunts, but I don't use them often. I usually just use them as a friendly gesture in the beginning (if my opponent starts it off this way), or- I won't lie- if I'm salty because they taunted me after a KO. I'll go into "try hard" mode and taunt at the end if their psychological taunting back fires. Or I will taunt when a resident sleeper tries to time me out and fails because I simply dislike those styles. Respect them, but dislike the stalemate.

After friendly gesture taunting, I don't usually taunt as Robin until the end of the match though. There are better things to do between stocks with the character than waste time taunting. So I'm usually charging thunder or using Nosferatu in an attempt to nab the tome of a move I rarely use.

Scribe

Sing, sing for ourselves alone.
Writing Team
NNID
KipShades
3DS FC
5241-1937-7022
I'm a Ness main, so I always go for the good old fashioned up-taunt.

Top Bottom