• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think the Dev team is open to community feedback?

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
How open do you think that the dev team is to our complai- I mean feedback? are they willing to make changes if we are loud enough about them? They seem that have listened to the pros in the E3 tournament and they say the wanted to appeal to both sides of fans, also with Namco involved, they probably are, but Sakurai is still the one with the last words.
And I'm not talking just about character buffs and nerfs, but the kind of stuff like "add a little shieldstun" "remove/nerf airdodges while in tumble" "buff Fox's voice" and the sort, nothing too drastic like "add Melee's dash dance/L-cancel/wavedash" or that would have an impact on casuals/would require to recode half of the engine, but little tweaks that could improve the competitive experience, key word is could. I AM NOT saying that those particular changes are THE changes to make, I'm just giving examples of stuff that I have read people asking for the last months. Yeah, yeah "it's too early to patch anything" "Let the meta evolve" yada-yada.
I think that Sakurai did a great job with the game, but that he still doesn't know much about what we want (omega stages is an example), let he create the rules/mechanics according to his vision and let the community test them and give feedback, there's A LOT of potential in this game, may or not be already amazing for you (it is for me).

Ksn245

Smash Cadet
If anything, I doubt they would listen a whole lot to the competitive community. Nintendo and Sakurai are pretty stubborn when it comes to things like this. Sakurai intended smash to be a party game and he would much rather keep it that way.

the8thark

Smash Lord
he still doesn't know much about what we want
I am sure Sakurai is fully aware of the small minority you refer to want. Sakurai made the game for the majority and to be fun. And it's unlikely he'll ever change from that. If he ever asked for community feedback, he'd get a million responces with people ******** about how their want was not in the game. And totally not understand what is possible from a development point of view. Sakurai does not need that **** to be honest.

OBI1JABLOMI

Smash Cadet
Nintendo doesn't give a **** about the community, especially the competitive aspect. Reggie made that lame video talkin about "no johns" like he was part of the community, but in truth, it was all a marketing ploy to sell more games.

Smash544

Smash Rookie
Im sure they are open to feedback, just not the type you mentioned. Buff Fox's voice? Add shield stun? Of course not.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Nintendo doesn't give a **** about the community, especially the competitive aspect. Reggie made that lame video talkin about "no johns" like he was part of the community, but in truth, it was all a marketing ploy to sell more games.
Nintendo does care about the community, the wider community (as in the millions not on these forums who love Smash and other Nintendo games). Us folk on these forums are the minority and it makes business sense to cater to the majority. That's where the money is.

Stilll Alive

Smash Cadet
Let's clarify one thing nintendo and the dev team are two completely different things, it's like you and the company you work for, that being said the top people in nintendo seem to care these past few years because they are in deep **** with the wii u, so this is the business plan, hold tournaments, make patches, whatever. But sakurai and the team on smash however from what he's said in interviews makes it sound like they are closing shop after releasing the game, I'm sure we will get patches still but I don't think they will be huge, nothing like capcom or netherrealm does for their games

Last edited:

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
I'm seeing things the opposite way from some people here it seems, I feel like Nintendo has done a good job listening and keeping in touch with the community this year, the problem is that Sakurai couldn't care less about anything that defies his "perfect" vision.

Last edited:

Zol

Smash Apprentice
I'm seeing things the opposite way from some people here it seems, I feel like Nintendo has done a good job listening and keeping in touch with the community this year, the problem is that Sakurai couldn't care less about anything that defies his "perfect" vision.
something like that

Sakurai listens to fans

but more than half the time it seems like he couldnt give a **** less about anyone outside of Japan

Zol

Smash Apprentice
I saw an article, not long ago about how Miyamoto, the creator of mario and the Legend of Zelda, absolutly bashed on the casual gamers and made it clear that he wanted nintendo to focus on the hardcore fan.

EDIT: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/new...-Drive-to-Focus-on-Hardcore-Demographic-Again
yeah, this article happened a while back

hopefully this means nintendo will stop putting smartphone games on their consoles and finally dish out some **** that's actually cool

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
yeah, this article happened a while back

hopefully this means nintendo will stop putting smartphone games on their consoles and finally dish out some **** that's actually cool
I'd list all the amazing games for the Wii U and 3DS, but I'm a little tired right know to convince people that they're wrong.

I'm sure Nintendo will take loud feedback, they're a great company, although they have a huge bad apple, that being Sakurai.

Zol

Smash Apprentice
I'd list all the amazing games for the Wii U and 3DS, but I'm a little tired right know to convince people that they're wrong.

I'm sure Nintendo will take loud feedback, they're a great company, although they have a huge bad apple, that being Sakurai.
amazing would be an opinion

personally i dont care much for what they have in store until they make a new F-Zero game and a new Metroid to make up for the cluster**** that was Other M

Zarxrax

Smash Apprentice
Isn't there some way that someone could get an interview or dialog with Sakurai? I mean, places like IGN do it. If some of the bigger names and organizations in the smash community tried to get something together to have a talk with him to discuss his views on things, and to provide some input on what the competitive community would like to see, I think that would be awesome.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Isn't there some way that someone could get an interview or dialog with Sakurai? I mean, places like IGN do it. If some of the bigger names and organizations in the smash community tried to get something together to have a talk with him to discuss his views on things, and to provide some input on what the competitive community would like to see, I think that would be awesome.
He would never consent to it. I can imagine him pursing his lips, perhaps making a joke or two, and staring directly to the requesting person's eyes and politely refusing, most likely by giving a somewhat silly but plausible excuse.

If anything, I doubt they would listen a whole lot to the competitive community. Nintendo and Sakurai are pretty stubborn when it comes to things like this. Sakurai intended smash to be a party game and he would much rather keep it that way.
100% this. /thread
Well, more like 90% this. I don't know if it has entirely the intention of Sakurai correct. He might change, I think, it's just that he wants to keep the most recent two as party games.

Last edited:

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
All this "party game" nonsense. Sounds like it's for people who don't know what they're doing in Smash, and if that's the case then who cares what changes they make for the better; it's not going to impact the gameplay at its base.

Smash 4 is fine as is, really. They changed a lot in the last patch. Just vectoring -> DI alone is a huuuuge game changer.

And Nintendo has put a lot of love and service for the Smash Community this time around. Arguing against that is pretty naive. Nintendo is a business first. Yes they're for the money, but as a close a 2nd as it is, they put love and heart into their games; nothing but perfection. Listening? I more like to call it Looking. We could get some changes here and there, but the thing is it could be less good or better than before, just definitely not game breaking.

Lemon Girl

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Maguitus
3DS FC
0147-0570-9943
I am sure Sakurai is fully aware of the small minority you refer to want. Sakurai made the game for the majority and to be fun. And it's unlikely he'll ever change from that. If he ever asked for community feedback, he'd get a million responces with people *****ing about how their want was not in the game. And totally not understand what is possible from a development point of view. Sakurai does not need that **** to be honest.
He said that he doesn't listen to most fans because they don't know **** about what's good and they're also kids, obviously I'm not saying that they should take EVERY kind of feedback in mind. But they could do polls or that kind of stuff, ask tournament winers, etc. and if there's a super majority asking for something they could consider it. Sakurai already does that with his tester team, he listen to them, but he' still the one who decides if something changes or not, I'm fully aware of his balance process.

Top Bottom