• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think spamming attacks is okay?

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
I main ness and some characters use their projectiles almost always to catch their opponents. but for ness people would say it's somewhat cheaper because he can control where it goes(pkT). but if you are going to use your full moveset i'll try to use mine. so there is nothing wrong with that? right?

Kaladin

Stormblessed
NNID
Toobu_me
Spamming PKT is highly punishable and does not work outside of juggle situations, so go for it. I wouldn't mind.

DanceLouisDance

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1950-9158-5550
Thanks for the replies guys.
I'm not trying to be a spammer nor am i one, i rarely use pkt because of this though. i'm just trying to say that it should be okay to just use whatever i want right? like if it works it works and that how the character is?
It's just i always get some salty players in for glory when i decide to kill them with pkT or pkF Which then they taunt and switch to ness as well haha.

iNSANE

Smash Rookie
NNID
iNSANEwOw
Atleast when you play 1on1 it is a competetive game so play to win. Generally players that complain about it are just too bad to punish your playstyle. If it was actually unbeatable Nintendo would most likely patch it out. That being said I think if you want to improve your game then spamming / abusing an attack is not the way to go because you will eventually rely on it too much and once you face someone that can beat it you have lost. If you play to win go for it, if you play to improve maybe conciously limit yourself from time to time to explore alternative options.

PerryEllis

Smash Cadet
Spamming attacks are for losers. But it's fine if your opponent does it first so then you're pitted in a losers' match.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Always aim for the best and safest options to grant you the win. Go for timeouts when you think its the right decision. Go for the same move a million billion time if its the right and safer decision. Just don't pick up a bad habit that will ruin your gameplay by doing that tho.

PalmTrees

Smash Rookie
I main ness and some characters use their projectiles almost always to catch their opponents. but for ness people would say it's somewhat cheaper because he can control where it goes(pkT). but if you are going to use your full moveset i'll try to use mine. so there is nothing wrong with that? right?
I see no issue with spamming moves, every character has its nich and so be it if that's what you need to do win competitively

littleuniverse

Smash Cadet
In my opinion I find spamming a bit tricky because on one hand it's part of your move set, and winning should be the end goal. However even when your opponent finds a way around it, it's just a really frustrating match on both sides and if you use spam too often, you won't really learn. Also, from what I remember, using the same move repeatedly over the course of the match causes the move to be less and less effective. So TL;DR they're okay, but to a certain extent.

Mega-Spider

Smash Ace
NNID
MegaSonic3
3DS FC
4124-5940-2103
Short answer: No
Longer answer: Spamming isn't what I would call a good strategy. If you win by spamming, you don't deserve to win because you're not putting the effort to learn a character and would rather get a cheap victory rather than a rightfully deserved one. If your opponent is smart, they will read your tactics and counter you by playing mind games.
Basically, don't spam. You won't look good by doing so, and you'll look worse if you win by spamming.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
The way I see it, if someone doesn't adapt to the spam then there's no real reason to stop.

However, as others have pointed out, it won't work out in the long term. Better opponents will get past it.

Last edited:

Beach

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CallMeBeach
Spamming means they're predictable, if they can't adapt to something simplistic to stop then it is the users fault not the opponents.

_gold_

Smash Master
Personally, I try to avoid fighters which are capable of spamming. Anyone can spam a move, but I'm referring to projectiles. I don't see anything coherently wrong with spamming. It's a tool you can use in the game, so feel free to utilize it. However, you have to put a leash on it. You have to know when it's safe to spam a move, and you also have to realize when it's unsafe and can actually hurt you more than your opponent. Spamming attacks for too long may eventually become predicable, and lead to a punish.

I'm not a fan of spamming, but I can't help but have respect for those who understand how and when to use it. If it wins you matches, then I suppose it's working for you.

Steelballray

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Ray-run
3DS FC
1263-8867-0397
Longer answer: Spamming isn't what I would call a good strategy. If you win by spamming, you don't deserve to win because you're not putting the effort to learn a character and would rather get a cheap victory rather than a rightfully deserved one. If your opponent is smart, they will read your tactics and counter you by playing mind games.
Basically, don't spam. You won't look good by doing so, and you'll look worse if you win by spamming.
This is scrub mentality.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
"Spamming" in the literal sense will only get you so far in this game, considering stale moves is a thing and your opponent can pretty much just hold up their shield against any regular attack you throw at them. Also, my sig.
EDIT: This is what my sig was before I changed it:
"Spam" is an excuse. Projectiles themselves aren't "spam," and if you can't beat someone who uses projectiles to their advantage, that just means you're a bad player.

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
If you do nothing but spam the same move over and over and you win, it's your opponent's fault for not adapting to a predictable strategy.

Looking at it from the other side, spamming is a predictable strategy, so you shouldn't ever depend on it in the first place.

Spamming is not cheap, it's just plain bad. No decent player should be losing to someone just repeating the same moves over and over again.

Note the if your opponent is smart part. If you win by spamming, yes, you're not bothering to learn to play properly. But again, if you win, it's because your opponent is not good enough to fight back against a predictable playstyle. No one "deserves" to win. Especially not someone who can't win against a bad player.

Last edited:

War Anvil

Smash Lord
NNID
BattlingIronItem
3DS FC
2208-4585-5395
Switch FC
SW-5940-1276-1225
In my case, spamming Spin Dash over and over gets repetitive, annoying, and a truckload more punishable than you think. Makes :4sonic: seem less exciting than he can actually be...

CanadianMegaMan

Smash Apprentice
Spam, as in using the same move over and over again, is usually pretty easy to punish with the right timing.
Spam, as in using the same move in the same situation every time, is a good plan if your opponent cant adapt to it ( i.e. knocking them away and using pkt to chase.)
Spam, as in getting a bunch of quick projectiles/moves out quickly, is a solid zoning strategy.

Basically spam is only "bad" if its getting you punished a lot.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'm more tolerant of spammy players in a 2v2 setting. Since seeing one person fighting normally while their partner Charizard is side B'ing for days back and forth across the field is just hilarious to me. Of course hearing Ness say PK Fire over and over is just a 'bit' grating on the ears, nails on chalkboard really, but just a bit.

Of course in a 1v1 setting. Nah. I really don't even care to 'adapt' most of the time. It's not about winning to me, it's about having fun and fighting spammy opponents is just boring and a chore if all an opponent ever does is use one move over and over again and not really changing anything up to counter or approach me in a different way. Especially when they keep getting punished for it!

Also most of the time 'adapting' means switching to a 'bad habit' play style (like using counter over and over to punish something like Pit's upper dash arm) which also doesn't even really feel like much of an accomplishment if I do win. I rather fight a character who's going to use their whole arsenal to fight a good decent match up than to see said character use the same move over and over 'Cause it works and you suck if you can't adapt to it! Haha!'. Also sometimes I'm incredibly lazy and again don't care to adapt.

People can play how they want obviously, it doesn't matter since it's not like you're forced to stay in the room or anything, you can leave when you want. 'Too much work' is a phrase my cousin and I use when we fight really tough opponents in 2v2 and are deciding whether to continue fighting or not. There's fun challenges and then there's flat out stress and headaches.

Last edited:

JAZZ_

The Armored Artist
NNID
childofgalifrey
Spamming projectiles is easily punishable. Is it ok? yea, because its not an equation to win, in fact it is easy to beat.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Depends on the move. There are moves like Mario's up smash that are supposed to be spammed, then there are moves like Flare Blitz that make you look like a scrub when spammed.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
Spamming the same move won't get you anything if you face a smart player who knows how to get around it. Also, your move will get weaker if being used over and over. Its ok to spam if you want to force the player to approach. but don't do it to the point where he/she will catch on and the strategy will backfire on you, badly.

Zeekfox

Smash Cadet
Spamming gets to me sometimes, but that's because I really only get to regularly play real people via online play, and any sort of input delay can really destroy my ability to counter predictable moves. For Glory involves a lot of players just throwing out random smash attacks in hopes that their opponents will simply walk into them, and unfortunately, that tends to work really well against players like me without fast internet and wired connections whose dodge may not register until it's two frames too late.

Foxus

Smash Ace
NNID
Greatfox1
Depends on what it is that is being spammed. If its something I can merely reflect, like Fox's Blaster or Yoshi's Egg Throw, that's fine. But moves like the counter Lucina, Ike, Marth, Roy and Shulk have, not okay.

Its 50/50 really.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
Personally I do not think spamming is the best choice to make. Not only can it be extremely annoying but it can also get very predictable. I've encountered so many Ness/Lucas players who just rely on Pk Fire/Thunder far too much to the point I know how to exploit that spam tactic. I've learned the exact distance a PK Thunder tackle can go, so as Dedede all I gotta do is stand the right distance away and charge my Side Smash. They'll almost always slam right into it when I've got the correct distance.

When Zelda I can literally tap B repeatedly while in PK Fire. Since most Ness's try to keep doing it or go for a grab, it's easy to mess up that little spam combo by doing that. As for Charizard Fire Blitz spammers, it seems like they don't even think you know how to shield sometimes. Their whole tactic kinda gets completely destroyed because of that...

... And yet they still try anyways without mixing it up to try and confuse you.

Point is, people learn very fast. I will admit, I've come across people who knew how to spam all the right moves at the right times. They knew how to mix it up and throw me off of figuring out their little game. Was still annoying that they spammed, but hey they won with it. So if you wanna spam do it at your own risk. Also be prepared for people who will end up spamming right back.

I know I do on occasion when facing other spammers. Sometimes those "Spam-off" matches can be kinda funny.

(Although I don't think my opponent finds it as funny sometimes...)

TL;DR Version: I don't think spamming is wise and use it at you own risk. Don't expect to always win with it either.

Avokha

A+B smash tech is my baby <3
NNID
Avokha00
3DS FC
4914-3109-5720
Depends on what it is that is being spammed. If its something I can merely reflect, like Fox's Blaster or Yoshi's Egg Throw, that's fine. But moves like the counter Lucina, Ike, Marth, Roy and Shulk have, not okay.

Its 50/50 really.
Grabs, son :awesome:

SteadyDisciple

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rorrim
Honestly, spamming moves is fine. It's not a good strategy, and doing it against a decent player will get you punished, but it isn't amoral or anything silly like that. The game is pvp, if something works in a particular match then do it.

Raijinken

Smash Master
From a fun stance? It's pretty lame.
From a competitive stance? It's pretty bad.
From an over-all stance? It's whatever. If I lose to it, I deserved it, and if I beat it, then I'm probably going to enjoy the spammer's salt (they almost always get super salty over their unfailing strategy's failure).

All that said, if we're in a Free For All, you can bet I'm going to go hunt you down if you just spam a Fox laser forever.

Nona

Power of the Nonado♥
*prays this post makes sense, hard for me to put abstract concepts into words*

There's spam, which is a word typically used to describe the stubborn, haphazard use of the same move/offensive maneuver.
i.e. Your main battle plan consists of always throwing out PK Fire, regardless of the situation, ignoring any startup/end lag, just hoping for a lucky hit so you can do a flowchart grab combo. Sheik camping at the side, charging and throwing needles from across the stage at the tiniest pixel of movement, same for counter characters-- someone spamming Lucina's counter will more often than not use it with the slightest provocation from the opponent (any sort of movement will set these guys off, they're like untrained Chihuahuas). Spammers typically don't adjust their playstyle well when it gets countered.​

Then there's "spam" which some people consider the above, but is actually more skillful use of said move. From an opponent/spectator view, this can be hard to identify at first, especially if you're inexperienced.
i.e. You use PK Fire/Counter a lot, but only when it's the best option (and if your opponent is making this your best option a lot, it's gonna look like spam to them. I mean, when I watch Sheik matches it's like 60% Fairs) Players skillfully "spamming" are mindfully using these moves (they are very aware of the startup/end lag and will use it more safely) and the "spam" will have an actual strategy behind it, like forcing you into an uncomfortable position or changing your playstyle (or this same move just strings into itself!). Once you learn your lesson from a few well-timed counters or needles, you start to jump back and rethink your approaches.
"Spam" can also be used to condition your opponent. Do Ness Dthrow>Fairs a couple times, third time you empty jump to bait an airdodge, punish that.​

If it works, do it. If your opponent is letting you get those PK Thunder juggles, by all means, do it until they work around it. Are they being reckless with their laggy attacks? Telegraphed dash attack? Punish them with PK Fire>choice followup.

All in moderation, though. Stale moves will end up hindering you if you're overzealous, as well as predictability. And being annoying.

golden009

Smash Rookie
Adding to what others are saying. A win is a win, even if it's "spammy" or "cheesy". If it works, stick with it, as long as you aren't developing habits to rely on a strategy that only works in low-level play.

Saucen

Bruh
NNID
FangMaGuoLai
As with most games, you'll learn to deal with and punish spammers.

Top Bottom