• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think nostalgia is slowly dying in favour of modern inclusions in SSB4?

the8thark

Smash Lord
I have been noticing in SSB4 that with many of the game choices, as in character movesets, costumes, stages etc etc are slowly favouring more of the games released more recently and a lot of the older games are being bypassed. I realised a lot of the oder games have been referenced in older smash games.Example: Link young and old in Melee was basically from Ocarina. In Brawl Link was from TP. And in SSB4 it's WW and SS I think. A lot of other characters/costumes are like this. Pit is another one who has lost all of his nostalgia in SSB4.Do you this slow move away from the nostalgia/history in the SSB4? This is only in parts of case as there's still a lot of nostalgia there. But I just got thinking on this topic. And what do you all think about this?

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I don't mind it. Things change, so it would make sense to let the characters have said changes.

HyrulesLegend

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheHyrulesLegend
3DS FC
4253-4618-9274
I don't think they're really trying to be nostalgic.

Ragel

Smash Apprentice
I agree. I don't think it's so much that smash trys to be nostalgic, it just feels that way. That is most likely do to the large gaps inbetween smash titles.

ScottyWK

Smash Lord
NNID
ScottyWK
3DS FC
3239-4428-9575
If Duck Hunt Dog is in, then they aren't moving away from nostalgia at all. Not sure how you get more Nintendo-nostalgic then that.

KaZe_DaRKWIND

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5043-2124-2144
Maybe eventually the old ones will be alt costumes.

I hope they add Midna as a playable character

StarLight42

Smash Lord
Well i'm sorry to bring leaks into this, but if the leak is correct, Duck Hunt would be a classic inclusion

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
It's not just Duck Hunt; the Kirby's Dream Land stage on the classic Gameboy screen is pretty much a straight shot at the nostalgia. 2/3 of the third party characters are pure classic characters; Mega Man hasn't been relevant since the NES days really, and Pac-Man's heyday was even older than that! I'm pretty well convinced the classic stuff is going to be well represented this time.

ferioku

Smash Ace
If Duck Hunt Dog is in, then they aren't moving away from nostalgia at all. Not sure how you get more Nintendo-nostalgic then that.
That leak is not 100% definite, we need to wait for the game to make any real judgments. So Duck Hunter dog may or may not be in the game.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
That leak is not 100% definite, we need to wait for the game to make any real judgments. So Duck Hunter dog may or may not be in the game.
Regardless, the point stands that retro characters are a big part of the series. It hasn't moved away from it.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I believe retro characters and assist trophies are there for the nostalgia, while characters with new games coming out are in-line with their recent appearances.

Really, what's the point of appealing to nostalgia with modern characters? Instead, you might hear complaints that the developers are stuck in the past instead. :p

EDIT: Oh, don't get too carried away talking about the leak.

Last edited:

Souless_shadow

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3609-1166-4956
I don't think Smash bros was ever trying to be nostalgic. I always thought it was trying to bring together different charcters from different games whether they are Modern or Classic.

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
Of course they are, who said they aren't?:glare:
The OP? I'm simply saying DHD remains a viable choice for a retro newcomers despite the leak, or some other retro. (My comment was not actually directed at you, but at the topic. I was simply using your message to make a point.)

Lozjam

Smash Champion
Ummmmm no..... Link in Smash 4 is TP Link, and TP came out in 2006, while Wind Waker came in in 2003. That was 8/11 years ago and clearly in the nostalgia realm. The kids who played these games when it came out are adults today. So Rosalina (Who debuted in 2007) is also a character that can be considered "nostalgic". Little Mac is a classic and Nostalgic character, not to mention Pacman, and Megaman. Also a ton of veterans are nostalgic characters in themselves, Mario, Kirby, Pikachu, Link, Pit, Bowser, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Marth, and many others are "nostalgic". I think you need to broaden your perspective a little bit.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
Ummmmm no..... Link in Smash 4 is TP Link, and TP came out in 2006, while Wind Waker came in in 2003. That was 8/11 years ago and clearly in the nostalgia realm. The kids who played these games when it came out are adults today. So Rosalina (Who debuted in 2007) is also a character that can be considered "nostalgic". Little Mac is a classic and Nostalgic character, not to mention Pacman, and Megaman. Also a ton of veterans are nostalgic characters in themselves, Mario, Kirby, Pikachu, Link, Pit, Bowser, Zelda, Sheik, Samus, Marth, and many others are "nostalgic". I think you need to broaden your perspective a little bit.
Um, I don't consider Rosalina nostalgic at all. She's still new and fresh.

With that said, I think the goal isn't to rely on nostalgia, but to make each character unique in not only gameplay, but looks, feel and other aspects

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
The overall focus on new/rebooted characters in Smash 4 has a lot to do with the fact that most of Nintendo's classic icons are already represented, and outside of the obvious Mewtwo/Ridley/K. Rool there aren't many deserving classic characters left that are really important enough to warrant a spot, though all of the 3rd party inclusions are super-nostalgic. Also, Nintendo wants to make the most of the free advertising Smash offers.

Niala

Smash Ace
This.

Also, I feel as though age is a large factor in the subjective notion of what nostalgia is.

On top of that, as the series itself ages, fewer well-known characters that would be considered nostalgic by large groups of people are able to be chosen, because the characters that are considered nostalgic by large groups of people have likely already been added.

Road Death Wheel

Smash Champion
NNID
Kairos-Xman
3DS FC
2406-5636-9789
I don't know what your talking about.
Most Mario's special's
Cape=super mario world
FLUDD= mario sunshine
Fire Ball= The First super mario
Up special (sorry forgot the name) = dunno to be honest must be made up
but 3 out of 4 are classic mario titles
Game and watch?
Rob?
Mega man seriously its classic megaman

sorry bro i don't see it.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Nostalgia?

Mega Man's NES style proportions and animations and Mega Man 2 stage
Little Mac's wireframe alt from the original Punch-Out!! arcade
Pac-Man's original design and Pac-Man maze and Pac-Land arcade
Duck Hunt Dog if the leak is real
Game Boy stage
Magicant stage from Mother 1+2 if the leak is real
new retro Assist Trophies like Takamaru and Prince of Sable
new Assist Trophies of old characters from old games like Skull Kid and Nightmare Wizard

Salem Beats

Smash Rookie
I dunno how you could look at Mega-Man's inclusion and come to the conclusion that they're forgoing nostalgia...

When Ice Climbers appeared in Melee, their game was 15 years old and considered retro/nostalgic. Bowser Jr, if he's in SSB4, is gaining on that, with his game being 12 years old.

Eye opening, huh?

Anyway, for old characters, we've got Mega Man, Pac-Man, Palutena and Little Mac; the fact that they appear with updated, contemporary designs doesn't change that, or else Pit wasn't a retro character in Brawl either. Duck Hunt Dog, if the rumors are true, is an oldie for sure. Villager is showing his age too.

I don't think they've leaned too heavily either way for old versus new.

Last edited:

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I think the game is a blend of retro and modern featuring elements of past and present to make a great experience for fans of all ages and fan bases.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Um, I don't consider Rosalina nostalgic at all. She's still new and fresh.

With that said, I think the goal isn't to rely on nostalgia, but to make each character unique in not only gameplay, but looks, feel and other aspects
I was still a kid when I first discovered Rosalina. I'm now an adult. And her most important game is still her debut game. Rosalina is plenty nostalgic, especially since her Smash appearance is more like her Galaxy appearance than most other games since Galaxy.

That being said, nostalgia is subjective after a point. You have to get attached to something in the past to feel nostalgic for it now. Pac-Man was one of the first video game characters I discovered, but I hold no nostalgia for him.

Last edited:

Luigi#1

Smash Champion
>Little Mac
>Mega Man
>Pac-Man
What are you even on about?
Little Mac had a game.
Quit ignoring that guys.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT!?
GOOD LORD DO YOU KNOW WHAT NOSTALGIA IS? The Wii era is not nostalgic. Not even the gamecube. The N64 can be considered nostalgic.
That's like calling the Wii U/PS4/XBone last gen.

And Bowser J.R. had appeared in games recently. So has Toon Link. You can't consider a character retro if they take the appearance they had in a recent game OR haven't been in a recent game [see Pit/Ice Climbers]. Bowser J.R., Toon Link, and Rosalinna haven't had radical changes.

I say it's abit more modern then usual, but still enough nostalgia. Not surprised, as Wii U needs sales.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA WHAT!?
GOOD LORD DO YOU KNOW WHAT NOSTALGIA IS? The Wii era is not nostalgic. Not even the gamecube. The N64 can be considered nostalgic.
nos·tal·gia
näˈstaljə,nə-/
noun
  1. a sentimental longing or wistful affection for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations.
Someone can be nostalgic for the Wii era or Gamecube era. Nostalgia is not a time period. Something does not have to be X amount of years old to be considered "nostalgic." Nostalgia varies from person to person.

Last edited by a moderator:

the8thark

Smash Lord
TP Link - 2006 so that's 7+ years ago.
WW Link - That's pretty recent actually with WWHD and all. Nintendo just want to cash in on that.
Little Mac - The Last Punch-Out game was on the Wii in 2009 with Little Mac on the cover.
Pacman - You are right there, lots of nostalgia there.
Megaman has had a lot of games so it's not exactly old. But the character is mostly based on the NES style Megaman so that is digging into the past there.
The rest you mention are all using pretty modern versions of the characters. Mostly post 2000 versions.

I get your point. You can feel nostalgic about something that is not very old if it has fond memories for you. But I do think a lot of the really old content (ie pre 2000) will shrink as the years go on in future smash games. In the game's defence that is 14 years ago. A lot of people would see some obscure trophy or reference from 1987 and just fo WTF is this? But the old amongst us will recognise it and smile. I think as long as there is always some content for the older people to be nostalgic about then it's ok. I hope that never goes away.

Having the core Nintendo characters in mostly modern depictions, that's something that will be apart of Smash. I hated SM Sunshine but I have to deal with the Fludd crap in Smash 4. I am surprised they didn't make Mario more like he was in SM Galaxy. Same deal with Link. Why TP and not SS. A little offtopic there but I question why some characters get their newest versions and others get some arbitrary version in the middle, not their classic representation and not their lost modern version. Makes no sense to me.

DonkaFjord

Smash Lord
NNID
DonkaFjord
Little Mac had a game.
Quit ignoring that guys.
So has Mega Man and Pac Man, though their designs are definitely more of a throwback where as little mac has his design from the Wii game.

TheTuninator

Smash Champion
Smash is a celebration of all things Nintendo, not "all things Nintendo from the childhoods of '80s and '90s kids". It's only natural that as Nintendo franchises continue to grow and change, so will Smash.

Top Bottom