• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think I'll ever fulfill my dream of being a top player?

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
For a long time, I've been dreaming of becoming a top player and whooping everyone's ass. Though, I can't seem to get better. In late March of 2015, I was at my cousin's house. They turned on their Wii U and we started to play Smash. I'm not sure why, but I always found it fun to pick PAC-MAN. Back then, I had no idea what the buttons did. When we went home, my brother got a Wii U. A couple months later, I learned what the buttons did, and I also learned about PAC-MAN's specials and how to use them properly. After a few weeks of choosing literally no one but PAC-MAN, he made me stop choosing him. He says "Find a new main, dude. PAC-MAN's getting way up high on my most played characters." So then I listened and Smash was much more boring. After a while, he'd let me pick PAC-MAN once a session of playing Smash, and he'd still beat me sometimes. For my birthday, I got a 3DS and a copy of Smash 3DS. However the 3DS was already used and it had a parental control on it, so I couldn't connect to the internet at my house. So here I am playing against level 9 CPUs. My brother won't play and the lack of internet makes me unable to play with my friend or on For Glory. What can I do to get better now that I'm stuck with bad CPUs? Another thing that's worth mentioning is that I was diagnosed with autism when I was five years old. Recently, I've been seeing people use "autistic" as a way of saying that someone is bad at the game. So might this mean that becoming a top player is impossible?

MockRock

Smash Apprentice
There's nothing stopping you from becoming a top player except your dedication and drive, although don't expect an easy climb. Watch as much high level play as you possibly can of your main, and learn from it. Also, graduate from CPUs whenever is possible. See about getting the parental lock removed, and see if there are any good Smash players around your age in your area. Things will get a bit easier once you're older, as you'll no longer be subjected to internet access restrictions and can travel freely to local tournaments in your area.

Oh, and as for autism: Mew2King is on the autism spectrum. If you're not sure who he is, he's been a top level tournament player in every single iteration of Smash Bros since Melee. Don't worry about it, dude.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
For a long time, I've been dreaming of becoming a top player and whooping everyone's ***. Though, I can't seem to get better. In late March of 2015, I was at my cousin's house. They turned on their Wii U and we started to play Smash. I'm not sure why, but I always found it fun to pick PAC-MAN. Back then, I had no idea what the buttons did. When we went home, my brother got a Wii U. A couple months later, I learned what the buttons did, and I also learned about PAC-MAN's specials and how to use them properly. After a few weeks of choosing literally no one but PAC-MAN, he made me stop choosing him. He says "Find a new main, dude. PAC-MAN's getting way up high on my most played characters." So then I listened and Smash was much more boring. After a while, he'd let me pick PAC-MAN once a session of playing Smash, and he'd still beat me sometimes. For my birthday, I got a 3DS and a copy of Smash 3DS. However the 3DS was already used and it had a parental control on it, so I couldn't connect to the internet at my house. So here I am playing against level 9 CPUs. My brother won't play and the lack of internet makes me unable to play with my friend or on For Glory. What can I do to get better now that I'm stuck with bad CPUs? Another thing that's worth mentioning is that I was diagnosed with autism when I was five years old. Recently, I've been seeing people use "autistic" as a way of saying that someone is bad at the game. So might this mean that becoming a top player is impossible?
Well, we have the same dream and we both have autism.

You might want to get a new 3ds or your own wii u depending on where you live. Level 9s will help you with when to shield/airdodge, and how to punish airdodges, but that's about it. If you live in a popular smash region such as Socal, Tristate, and Florida, you can go to tournaments if you have your driver's license (Which I don't so I go on for glory), but yeah, there's still for glory and anther's (A website where you share your nnid to others to play aganist even better people).

As for autism, I have it and it doesn't make me worse. Mew2king has some sort of it, and he's considered the overall best smash player. People just use "autism" and "cancer" as a joke around here cause they haven't experienced one or the other (I never had cancer, but I know it's bad), nor knows anyone with them, nor knows what it does, and it makes them think it's ok to joke about them, when in reality, it's extremely immature.

Also, another question, why does your brother care about his most played characters?

Darklink401

Smash Master
NNID
Yuki_Hirako
3DS FC
0731-5318-2530
Kinda sucks that your brother doesn't want to let you practice your main character. However, it's fully possible for you to improve. Watch as many videos as you can of good pac-man players. Practice combos wether in training more or CPU. CPUs aren't ideal, but level 9 CPUs are so good at punishing everything, you'll at least learn to play safe, which is an important aspect of the game.

As mentioned before tho, graduate from CPUs as soon as possible. Look on facebook to see if your state has a smash scene near you ;)

And more importantly. Play the game. A lot. You can do it! :D

Last edited:

MarMarTheGreat

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dylannumar2
3DS FC
2595-2936-3247
We all have that dream

Its all about dedication and fortidude

I live in Iraq and I want to become one of the best Marth Players out there and ZSS players

I have played online for a long time and while I was **** and I just played my own way not looking at tutorials..

I got my ass kicked but I learned the fundamentals of smash..I didnt know techs but I noticed that I am already doing them withouth even knowing

Of course I learned new things like Walljumping and Fast Fall Aerials

I was at a measly 30% winrate I learned almost all the matchups properly..I started kicking ass but I also got my ass kicked..

Now I stand at 62% on For Glory after having 1120 matches..

100% of my last 50 matches. For Glory rarely has tough people but I manage to beat them

Now on to Anthers Ladder..The people there are different

The Bronzes are typical For Glory players like me looking for better competition..

The Golds are crazy though and I managed to go toe to toe with One of the best Mario and Corrin mains on Anthers although they beat me I managed to make all matches close and challenging for them but they were brilliant

Its possible just you need to put in the work and master your character..

Some characters just arent your type..Trust me.Stick with who you feel you are the best with and improve on them over time

Last edited:

Simperheve

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Simperheve
For a long time, I've been dreaming of becoming a top player and whooping everyone's ***. Though, I can't seem to get better. In late March of 2015, I was at my cousin's house. They turned on their Wii U and we started to play Smash. I'm not sure why, but I always found it fun to pick PAC-MAN. Back then, I had no idea what the buttons did. When we went home, my brother got a Wii U. A couple months later, I learned what the buttons did, and I also learned about PAC-MAN's specials and how to use them properly. After a few weeks of choosing literally no one but PAC-MAN, he made me stop choosing him. He says "Find a new main, dude. PAC-MAN's getting way up high on my most played characters." So then I listened and Smash was much more boring. After a while, he'd let me pick PAC-MAN once a session of playing Smash, and he'd still beat me sometimes. For my birthday, I got a 3DS and a copy of Smash 3DS. However the 3DS was already used and it had a parental control on it, so I couldn't connect to the internet at my house. So here I am playing against level 9 CPUs. My brother won't play and the lack of internet makes me unable to play with my friend or on For Glory. What can I do to get better now that I'm stuck with bad CPUs? Another thing that's worth mentioning is that I was diagnosed with autism when I was five years old. Recently, I've been seeing people use "autistic" as a way of saying that someone is bad at the game. So might this mean that becoming a top player is impossible?
For starters, disregard the "Autistic" crap. If your friends are using "Autistic" as a label then you are hanging out with the wrong people. Autism is absolutely NOT a hindering factor. For example, i'm autistic and I do just fine at tournaments. I don't get into bracket (usually ending third in my pool), but I have often scared top players during pool stages. In fact at my last tournament I demolished one of the two pros in my pool and almost got into the bracket.

Point two - Play as whoever you like. Just because your brother's having an attitude about playing Pac-man doesn't mean you should stop playing him. It always helps to have a go with other characters for the sake of knowledge, but don't pick your character based on who someone else tells you to pick. If he can't beat you, thats his fault and not yours.

Point three - Watch videos and learn techs/ combos from those videos. Lab them like crazy on your 3DS until you learn to do them consistently. Then take them against low-mid level CPUs to learn to implement them in a sort of "Live" environment. Then you'll be ready to use them in a proper "Live" environment.

Play as much as you can, when you can and you'll see improvement as long as you spend your time wisely. Good luck!

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
For starters, disregard the "Autistic" crap. If your friends are using "Autistic" as a label then you are hanging out with the wrong people. Autism is absolutely NOT a hindering factor. For example, i'm autistic and I do just fine at tournaments. I don't get into bracket (usually ending third in my pool), but I have often scared top players during pool stages. In fact at my last tournament I demolished one of the two pros in my pool and almost got into the bracke
Pool? What does "Pool" mean in Smash terms? I don't know what you're talking about.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
Pool? What does "Pool" mean in Smash terms? I don't know what you're talking about.
It means the first part of bracket. Two people in winners and two people in losers advance to round 2 pools, where the same thing happens. Then it goes to top 32.

CrazyPerson

Smash Journeyman
It is hard to say without knowing you or having seen you play...

Lots of factors go into it.

How much time can you put into the game? I know I will never be a top player for this reason alone... If I were to put in the time to become that good I would never find a new job, get to hang out with friends, do housework... etc. For me, it simply wouldn't be worth the sacrifice to get there... and I think a lot of people are in that boat but still enjoy the game.

Who do you have to play against: A problem I run into is that I slaughter some of the people I know, go to tournaments and routinely get slaughtered... ideally IMO players of any game should look for people slightly better than themselves to play against... good enough where there opponents win most of the time and you have to improve to beat them... but not so good that there is no hope of landing hits... Big issue for me... Got to find the right training partners, and a lot of them, to really get to the top imo.

And finally... genetics. They say it takes 10,000 hours to become truly great at something but not everyone's 10,000 hours yield the same results... not everyone has the genetics to be the best no matter how hard they work at it... yes a gifted player with 2,000 may lose to a particularly not gifted player who put in 7,000... but everyone has a ceiling.

The best at anything have a lot going for them, and give up a lot more to be great at what they do... there is a reason very few make it to the top of anything.If you read up on people who became the best at something... chances are there is a story of a very tough road, lot's of sacrifices that many wouldn't find worth it.

EDIT: As far as the parental lock is concerned... if you can, polity ask your parents why they feel it is needed. At least with the Wii U, social interaction is really limited with anyone not on your firmness list... only inappropriate way you would stubme across anything you wouldn't see playing solo would be vulgar tags... of course, if you do get friends and do any voice stuff... that changes... and make sure to have the internet safety talk with someone who knows there way around the topic.

EDIT 2: And online play can be different than local play... in large part because of lag. Part of any online game is adapting to lag... I have won and lost matches because of that factor many times... but lot's of online practice can throw offline play off and vice versa.

Last edited:

itsmeMOB

Smash Journeyman
NNID
itsmeMOB
The best thing I'd say to do is go to tournaments.

It's hard to say without seeing the gist of how you play like CrazyPerson said, but the best way to improve is to play people who are better than you. Go to weeklies, any type of high level Smash play will show you what you can do better, ask some of the best people there how you can improve. Also, labbing your character helps you get the hang of what to do at a high level. I'd recommend watching pro players play your main too, but do not try and copy them and try to develop your own style that optimizes the character you play. Make sure you know your strengths and weaknesses and try to improve on your weaknesses first.

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
The best thing I'd say to do is go to tournaments.

It's hard to say without seeing the gist of how you play like CrazyPerson said, but the best way to improve is to play people who are better than you. Go to weeklies, any type of high level Smash play will show you what you can do better, ask some of the best people there how you can improve. Also, labbing your character helps you get the hang of what to do at a high level. I'd recommend watching pro players play your main too, but do not try and copy them and try to develop your own style that optimizes the character you play. Make sure you know your strengths and weaknesses and try to improve on your weaknesses first.
I want to go to tournaments, but I don't know where the tournaments take place. Do you have to move to Florida to play Smash or is Utah's Smash scene big enough?

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I want to go to tournaments, but I don't know where the tournaments take place. Do you have to move to Florida to play Smash or is Utah's Smash scene big enough?
Well, it has no notable players, but it has a PR so it DOES have a scene, so you can still go to tournaments

gamecubeguy214

Smash Apprentice
Idk, I live in tristate
I just found out about one. Does it help that I have an entire Sm4sh Club in my school that I created, where we play Eight Player Smash, have the Smash Ball on, use three stocks, and don't care if stages are tournament legal or not?

Top Bottom