• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you recommend the Wavebird for smash?

zojoz

Smash Rookie
i am planning on getting some new controllers for smash bros. i want to go with the wavebird, but first i wanted to ask you guys if you know if there is any noticeable lag while playing smash with the wavebird due to it being wireless. what do you guys recommend? wired or wireless?

thnks in advance

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
I never really noticed too much lag, but when the battery's gettin' somewhat low, it'll randomly stop working, then work again, then not work, etc...
I'd recommend a wired controller for reliability. The basic, Nintendo made, controller, for that matter.

~rh

Smash Lord
I personally dont like it for the battery pack. My fingers feel a little confined holding it.

Univern72

Smash Rookie
I tried one once. It felt a bit weird to me, so I didn't like it a lot. It performed well enough otherwise, though.

ThePrime

Smash Lord
wavebirds seem bulky, i like the regular controllers, the wire might get in the way, but having that cord is like a tradition - such as at a tournament, the 'unwinding the cord to plug it in' ceremony, and when you're finished the 'wrap the cord back up' ceremony :D.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
There is no lag, it's just superstition.

I've got a new wavebird sitting in my room for Brawl.

Foxman15

Smash Journeyman
I prefer the standard wired gamecube controllers. Must be Nintendo brand. I just bought a new one off nintendo.com because the controller I use for smash is just waaay too worn out for competetive play. The buttons have no press. They are barely staying in the controller. No stores (target, best buy, gamestop, pnt, etc) hold the original controllers in stock so I suggest going straight to nintendo.com.

RyokoYaksa

BRoomer
BRoomer
Some of the big stores will still carry standard Gamecube controllers. It just depends on where. I know my local Best Buy does.

Wavebirds don't lag. However, I find them too bulky/heavy to really be comfortable. They also don't have rumble.

pdk

Smash Lord
the reliability drops off fast after a few months; i have a pair and aside from the obvious (batteries needing replaced, frequencies being set wrong by friends, etc) they'll periodically just drop inputs or sort of "stutter" (e.g. you hold the control stick left, you'll get your character making repeated short sprints to the left instead of running)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
I've never been a fan of wavebirds, cause I dont like wireless controllers, but I will say this.

If you only play with friends, then a wavebird isnt so bad ( i think ), i've never used one to play smash, so I dont know if there is lag.

However, if you go to tournaments, you really do have to be aware that it's possible to get your channel jacked midmatch or something like that.

CBNJ

Smash Journeyman
Ew no, batteries for the loss. I stick with my good old fashioned regular controller. It hasn't let me down this far in life. *knock on wood*

DarkLordKefka

Smash Cadet
i find that the rumble of the wired controllers help my reaction time as far as DI goes. that and i don't want to risk a failing battery during a big match and get made fun of for calling shenanigans on my wavebird

Legend_of_Yoshi

Smash Rookie
I just got a Wavebird not long ago, and I have no problems with it. The lack of rumble never bothers me, but, like others have said, it could interfere at tournaments.

Whatever though, for casual play, it works great, and lag on Wavebirds really is a myth.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
I just like to bypass the wavebird all together. Sure you can sit farther from the T.V but big deal. It really jsuts ends up being a major source of Johns.

Legend_of_Yoshi

Smash Rookie
If you're talking about tournaments, then I agree. You can just put a wire extender on the controller if you want to sit further away. But if you're talking about at home, then I disagree. Unless you have a huge tourny at your house, it wouldn't matter. I guess if you often hold tournaments in your house, it would be best to avoid a wavebird.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
id say no.

me and my friend decided to try using 2 wavebird controllers, 4 wavebird ports, 2 tvs, and 2 gamecubes and have a match where each of us look at a different tv.

we both won our matches :ohwell:. we were close enough to both tvs that youd think the lag wouldn't be an issue, but apparently it was.

so yea, get the wired stuff.

Troggy

Smash Rookie
I've been using a Wavebird since my wired controller broke the day I got it. I don't notice any lag or anything like that.

alucard1201

Smash Rookie
i personally dont use the wavebird for ssbm its harder to wavedash nd stuff like that mainly cuz of the shape, but its really just up to ur likings

Vicious Delicious

tetigit destruens
Switch FC
SW 0141 8170 9257
I like using the Wavebird best. It doesn't rumble (distracts me), has a comfortable grip, accurate... just watch out for frequency or people trying to get to yours :(

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
There is no lag.

There is, however, battery and channel issues, as well as two parts instead of one, which leaves more room for losing or breaking something.

If you're planning on playing in tournaments, just get a wired controller. Wavebirds are great if you're just getting smash to play with your roommates, family, etc.

Silhouette

Smash Lord
i never use a wavebird ,theyre too awkward and most tournaments dont allow them
i only use madcatz controlers, in my opinion they have the most comfortable grip and best shape of any controller

pdk

Smash Lord
nope

1. lag, no matter how much you wish it away there'll be a frame or two of it and depending on the character you play this might not be too pleasant
2. even if your wavebird is the only wireless controller in the whole event a lot of tourneys still won't let you use it

V1Hand

Smash Cadet
I've never played Smash with a Wavebird, so I couldn't really tell you. If the battery ran out or something, that could be a pain to deal with though.

-Wolfy-

Smash Champion
Lag is a myth, but still, at my tournament this weekend, we're discouraging them, but we're providing brand new batteries to everyone who uses them because it isn't fair to anyone else if play has to be stopped for a wavebird dying mid game. They're jsut a source of unending johns.

"The lag is much worse on my wavebird!"
"I'm not used to the grip on this!"
"Well my controller is heavier cause of the batteries"
"Someone elses wavebird was interfering with mine!"
"My batteries are low so it sends the input much slower than usual."

Avoid this by using a wired controller.

Top Bottom