• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you only use your Main(s) in For Glory?

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Right there in the title, only main characters or not? For me personally I try to mix and match, I will use Dedede mostly but sometimes I'll get a hankering for another character. If I'm not using Bowser or Mac I'll go for something else I feel confident with, like a character I'm learning or another heavy hitter if I'm bored to using my main (Usually I go for Charizard or Ganon if I'm in this mood). Rarely I'll just choose a random character I like to play casually and see how I do (Bowser Jr, Dr Mario, Game and Watch to name a few)

D

Deleted member

I use Dedede in most of my FG matches but I also use For Glory as an output to test out the characters I'm currently learning. I've used Samus, Ike and Olimar a lot on FG lately and I've meshed with them more as a result.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
Yes, so far in For Glory I only use my mains. Except when there's Conquest that doesn't have my mains.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I tend to experiment with other characters besides my mains in For Glory. I break out Pit or Palutena if I'm fighting a very good opponent and I want the matchup experience, otherwise I just pick whomever I think I will have the most fun with.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
I do, mostly Rosalina and Mega Man, although I do have other characters I use from time to time such as Roy, Ike, Lucina, Fox and Ganondorf. I don't really consider those characters as my secondaries but rather just characters I like to describe as "sitting on the bench"

Last edited:

Elite_Akumus

Smash Rookie
I'll like to say I roughly play Ryu 70-65% of the time, and the rest is just random characters that I may wanna either pick up on in the future, or just to get a feel for other characters for there weak/strong points so I can abuse that and better combat against it when I use Ryu.

mario123007

HELLO, YOU HAVE ENTERED THE DUNK ZONE
NNID
mario123007
3DS FC
1521-3033-2948
Switch FC
SW-5739-4272-0700
I do, mostly Rosalina and Mega Man, although I do have other characters I use from time to time such as Roy, Ike, Lucina, Fox and Ganondorf. I don't really consider those characters as my secondaries but rather just characters I like to describe as "sitting on the bench"
Maybe because I don't play FG much, so I haven't tried my other mains. When I have time, I will use my other characters.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
I usually pick my mains Ryu and Palutena when I'm playing on FG because they are my favorite characters in this game plus I'm good with them.

With that said, I don't use them exclusively because I always like to participate in conquests and I have quite a few other characters that I like to use just for fun (Ike, Olimar, Marth, etc).

Last edited:

Slashster

Smash Rookie
For glory is where I go to experiment.
I will usually try different play styles with my mains most of the time, but I generally play characters I have trouble beating to try get used to their attacks and such.
Though if I find someone who destroys me in a match, I go to my main to try get better at beating players who give me trouble, so I guess it's situational.

whitekirby9

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4270-2712-4478
DK, Kirby, King dedede, Roy, Ryu, and some conquest characters, i support

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
For the most part I play my main and secondaries :4link::4myfriends::4feroy:
If the persons really chill and wants to just have a good time I play my casual characters :4jigglypuff::4dedede::4ganondorf:

Flareon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Phychic
3DS FC
1075-0904-3809
Switch FC
2251-4138-1049
I usually experiment with other characters but I will switch to one of my mains if I find a strong opponent.

KirbCider

Smash Ace
It varies depending on the opponents I face as well as the situations I suppose.

If I'm playing against someone who I am genuinely having a good time with I'll play with my secondaries or just whoever I feel like. Long as both sides are having fun I don't really mind just goofing around and playing as characters I wouldn't normally play as. Sometimes I'll just be in an "Eh" kinda mood and just feel like playing around and having some fun. You don't have to win in order to have fun after all.

Case in point, when my friend was over we decided to play some 2V2 For Glory. Well after a while it started getting a little dull so I made the decision to play as every single character on the roster. I literally just went down the rows the entire time and didn't skip anyone. So there were obviously times where I looked like a complete idiot, but it was still fun and we even got a few good laughs out of it.

However, I will say if someone comes in and starts being disrespectful, uses insults, or whatever I'm going directly to my Mains.

No more fun. Only pain.

Last edited:

Quarium

Smash Journeyman
60% of my time is prolly going between Kirby, Puff, Villager and Mario.

The rest is a huge mix of characters I **** around with: Marth, Falco, Ganon, Rosaluma, Megaman, etc.

KevN くコ:彡

Smash Journeyman
Not really. If i just stick to my favorites, it would get boring pretty quick.

Sometimes, going all random is more fun.

(•~•)/

Smash Rookie
Personally, I refuse to use my mains in For Glory, just because I need them to be ready for actual matches. In my opinion For Glory makes it very easy to fall into rough habits and bad play styles, due to rather bad players, spamming, lag, etc. I usually go random in any online match, just to avoid ruining my mains in the actual game later on.

SSJ1/2

Smash Rookie
Nowadays I go on For Glory with the express intent of getting as many Ganoncides as I can.
Only occasionally do I actually play Falcon.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
My skill gap between Fox and my other characters is so wide that playing other characters means I'm probably going to lose a lot. Because of that, I just have 2 different tags I use online so I can see my general win rate when just using Fox and when I'm using other characters. Most of the time I go about 50/50 between Fox and my other small handful of characters.

Ocarina Stealer

Smash Apprentice
I usually use Lucina and Marth but I try to mix in characters that I think I could use mainly Falco and Captain Falcon. I play a conservative strategy also.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I always go Dr. Mario first match, and then switch to Pikachu or another character depending on how good they were. If they were a challenge or otherwise decent, I'll play a couple more rounds as Dr. Mario before switching. If they weren't that good, I'll play my other characters right away.

TempestSurge

Smash Ace
I'm almost always my main at least in the first round, given the tendency of so many players who often leave after the first round. It kinda sucks when you're playing some character you're picking up to learn or to have fun and get this really good opponent, who then beats you and leaves before you get a chance to pull your main out.

So if not my main first round, I always make sure to be a close secondary. I'll go to team battles or for fun or something if I get bored of playing my main and just want to practice or goof around with characters I like but wouldn't normally bring to 1v1.

PKMudkip

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0087-2827-5098
Switch FC
SW-5862-2113-3817
When I'm in FG, it's usually to lab with characters I don't usually use like WFT, Marth, Ganon, Kirby. I go on for maybe an hour and figure out how to play as them and find combos. I use my mains in Anther's normally

When I first started For Glory, I would use just about anyone. Now that I have established my main and want to improve as rapidly as possible, I have been playing strictly as Pikachu. If my opponent gets bored of fighting my main character, they can just move on to a different opponent. I am online to practice and have fun with Pikachu.

(•~•)/

Smash Rookie
A major problem with For Glory in my opinion is that there is a definite point in which you cannot get any better by only playing there. You start to notice a pattern of characters and play styles, and you aren't really able to do more than that. At some point you will stop improving and you can only get worse or remain on the same level. That's why it is beat to play FG as a character that you don't often play or you might want to pick up. It shouldn't be a tool used to practice because it isn't designed that way, and would do more harm than good.

A major problem with For Glory in my opinion is that there is a definite point in which you cannot get any better by only playing there. You start to notice a pattern of characters and play styles, and you aren't really able to do more than that. At some point you will stop improving and you can only get worse or remain on the same level. That's why it is beat to play FG as a character that you don't often play or you might want to pick up. It shouldn't be a tool used to practice because it isn't designed that way, and would do more harm than good.
I understand that, but unfortunately that is pretty much all that I have available to me most of the time. I live in a very rural area. Besides, I have been steadily improving anyways so it works for me right now. (I have lots of room for improvement.) ;)

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
97% R.O.B., 3% anyone else. R.O.B. is the only character I have any amount of confidence in my skill with, anyway.

Last edited:

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I only break out the Dark Pit if I find somebody that I can't beat with my other characters. I mostly just play around with Roy, Wario, and Falco. Sometimes Marth and Shulk if I really feel like it.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I always start out using either :4wario: or :4drmario:, because if I lose to someone using said characters I won't be able to switch to them since it'll look bad. If I'm doing alright and the opponent doesn't seem cocky, I'll switch to one of my not-as-good characters so I can gain experience with them.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I basically play any character I feel I'll enjoy playing at the time - my "mains" are usually just my go to's when I feel like doing well for a change or just can't think of a specific character I wanna play as. Haha.

Checkmarks

Smash Rookie
I mostly use FG as my actual training or if I want to play the game without friends, so I just pick whatever I think I might have fun with. Or as others have said if I fight somebody I think is better/on-par with me (within reason...) I might go a little "try-hard", except against fair/bair villagers... f that.

Kaiduru Zeta

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kaiduru_Zeta8
3DS FC
1332-7842-2519
I usually try to start off with a pocket or secondary. If you beat me I'll go to Wii Fit Trainer.

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Lately I've been feeling bored with my mains shulk and ROB, so I started playing characters I am interested in, like charizard and mario. If someone beats me with those, then I go shulk

valakmtnsmash4

Smash Ace
NNID
yathshiv
Lately I've been feeling bored with my mains shulk and ROB, so I started playing characters I am interested in, like charizard and mario. If someone beats me with those, then I go shulk
EDIT: My phone is really stupid, please don't report me for double posting

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I often get discouraged from using Robin at first since I see so many people playing him, both on For Glory and anywhere else. I don't want to associate myself with the "time to tip the scales xdddd" memers and "fem robin is bae" lovers, so that's why I like to play a variety of different characters. Just about anyone I can play, really. He's a bit overrated in this installment of Smash, if you ask me.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
I split half of my time between Lucina/Zelda on FG and the other half playing whomever i feel like, also depending on my opponent. After the first game If they are good/better than me as Lucina/Zelda then i generally stick with my Mains/Secondaries for challenging matches. If not ill play as anyone on the Roster for fun.

Last edited:

Peff

Smash Cadet
I'll start off with my main every time, but if I two stock the person 2 or 3 times, I'll pull out Peach, the only other character I like playing as. Usually someone I was pretty easily 2 stocking with 70% - 80% damage of my own racked up will end up taking a stock off me sometimes. Or every game, depending on the match-up/their experience with Peach. It helps me get better with Peach, and it makes it pretty fair for them. When I SD twice or more within a short span of time, I'll switch to Peach just to give my Falcon brain a rest so it can recover.

If I'm 2-stocking someone very easily, I'll play Pac-man or Mac and go easy on them, being obvious with my moves and stuff like that.

sixkami

Smash Cadet
NNID
ifwjay
3DS FC
0044-3489-7158
Mine is Mega Man, but I almost never use him online unless I feel like being serious. I also don't like switching to him even if I lose to someone I know I can beat using him.

Top Bottom