• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you care about your w/l?

TheDarkPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Federico2057
I usually am one to try to keep my w/l as high as possible. But I was in a lobby with someone who was better than me. I got two stocked a couple times but I stayed in order to learn and get better.
How many of you would willingly ruin your w/l to keep getting stomped and learn.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I think that's the healthiest thing to do and the best way to improve.

Swallow your pride and accept defeat. It'll make you stronger in the long run. And of course nobody but you can see your win / lose ratio so it's only really a thing for the sake of feeling good about yourself and bragging about it to your friends.

TheDarkPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Federico2057
I honestly think I learned more losing to this guy over and over (the last matches were pretty close before I had to leave) than I have being the guy doing the beating.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I honestly think I learned more losing to this guy over and over (the last matches were pretty close before I had to leave) than I have being the guy doing the beating.
Exactly.

Be willing and able to lose and you'll learn from your mistakes, y'know?

TheDarkPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Federico2057
I don't even really play For Glory so I never cared.
It's the only way I can practice vs people since none of my friends have a wii u. I was going to try to find some practice partners on here for some more serious practice sessions once I'm on break from school :p

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3
For me is an unhealthy obsession. I told my buddies at work i'd keep it at 70% at least ( i'm such a pro guys, lol not really, found out the hard way) I learned what many people did. just because you beat your friends all the time doesent mean you're the best.

My w/l stays at either 59% or 60% and i cant increase it.

KiteSC

Smash Cadet
Used to be really anal about this few years ago in different games. Now I don't even care if my w/l is abysmal. Although having good w/l is nice....

Khao

Smash Lord
I do care about mine, but not enough to go hunting for bad players or quit every time I lose.

For me, the game's at its most fun when you find some one at your same skill level, or slightly better, if I find someone within that special skill range, I'll stay regardless of how often I'm losing. Enjoying the game and improving your skill is more important than keeping number up, even when I do care about that number (as it's pretty much the only way to record your progress).

Either way, as long as I'm still above 50%, I don't really give a ****. I'm currently at something like 60% in both versions, so I won't be worrying about losing.

Also, I think the number for the last 10/100 match ratio, is far, far more relevant and useful than the all-time ratio.

Tyketto

Smash Cadet
I was interested in it at first, but I've stopped caring about it at this point. Playing For Glory taught me very quickly that I'm not nearly as good at this game as I previously thought. So my w/l is around 53%. But I'm not complaining - I've lost a lot, but I've learned a lot as a result. I'm having more fun fighting better players and improving than trying to keep my w/l at a good number.

INs4niTY-

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Marouf
I tend to keep playing against people I lose to to improve my match up knowledge etc but the problem is those kinda games are rare for me atm which is making for glory a bit boring sometimes :(. Is there any form of match making in the game because I'm at 83% win rate so I expect to vs above average players or at least have close matches most of the time.

Last edited:

MOI-ARI

Smash Ace
NNID
TAISH0U
3DS FC
3523-2502-7558
I tend to keep playing against people I lose to to improve my match up knowledge etc but the problem is those kinda games are rare for me atm which is making for glory a bit boring sometimes :(. Is there any form of match making in the game because I'm at 83% win rate so I expect to vs above average players or at least have close matches most of the time.

I have that exact win rate. You can fight me. XD Or look for other people on this site with such a record, Im positive theres a thread out there, right?

Anyways, about the topic...

You shoudn't care about your w/l ratio unless you play competitively. If you DO play for competitive purposes, then just make sure your not getting worse really.

Last edited:

Koggy

Yoshi Adept
The way I get good at any multiplayer game is to pretty much spam games until i slowly start picking up how to improve. Even if that means that my W/L suffers along the way.

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
I gave up after my first few days of the 3DS version, too many spammers/roll spammers.

wizardto1

Smash Lord
NNID
waddledee3
3DS FC
1676-4166-2291
I admit, I can get real angry when I lose on FG, especially by the same guy multiple times.

But at the same time, I just love the challenge especially against those equally skilled as me. Fighting them really helps me learn ( like I seriously need to stop whiffing your dash grabs everytime ).

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
I would not abandon care for W/L ratio. I did that in Smash 3ds and it was not a good decision. The W/L ratio helps keep you inspired to play For Glory. It's a goal.

At the same time, you don't want to just play to win. You need to face people who are tough so that you can learn. How do you do both of these at the same time? Simple - understand that if you stay in and face people who are actually tough, that means your win to loss ratio is more representative of what your actual skill is (of course, lag may effect it somewhat). Sure, it might not be super high, but it actually matters.
Also, I think the number for the last 10/100 match ratio, is far, far more relevant and useful than the all-time ratio.
Well, it's a smaller sample size so do take it with a grain of salt... but there is truth here since you learn as you play.

Bearbuddy4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
bearbuddy3

If you use Captain Falcon, Sheik, and Diddy quite often you'll have a better chance of winning

GSM_Dren

Smash Journeyman
W/L Ratio shouldn't really matter because only you can see your own score. I do find however that it keeps me motivated to climb up the ladder and do the best I can. Real life matches/tourneys are a better indicator of skill as there is no sort of wifi lag shenanigans that people complain about. But FG matches you to people outside your region, people who you would never get the chance to play otherwise. Therefore it is a good tool to practice with and you can definitely learn from or even teach others so as to be a better player.

You can learn a lot from a player giving you a beatdown or going somewhat even with. Further along the spectrum you can be the one giving the beatdown and teach the other player to not be as predictable. By ignoring the W/L ratio, I think it gives you a better chance to be a better teacher/student in FG.

WyvernLord

Smash Cadet
NNID
WyvernLord
3DS FC
0860-3366-4038
It does matter to me a bit to me as getting a good score shows where I'm at and how much i can improve by. but it probably shouldn't be taken too seriously (especially if your choice of mains are OP as all hell)

Evello

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TinyTinyHippo
3DS FC
0473-7825-0053
I do care about mine, but not enough to go hunting for bad players or quit every time I lose.

For me, the game's at its most fun when you find some one at your same skill level, or slightly better, if I find someone within that special skill range, I'll stay regardless of how often I'm losing. Enjoying the game and improving your skill is more important than keeping number up, even when I do care about that number (as it's pretty much the only way to record your progress).

Either way, as long as I'm still above 50%, I don't really give a ****. I'm currently at something like 60% in both versions, so I won't be worrying about losing.

I agree completely. I like to use the w/l to give me an idea of how I'm doing, but I prioritize having fun matches with people around my skill over maintaining my record. I'll lose to the same person a dozen times in a row if I'm having fun. And when I find someone I can consistently beat, rather than just repeatedly beating on them to raise my score, I switch to one of my secondaries and try to practice the secondary until I am good enough to beat them. Currently, whenever I win with Ike and Shulk, I switch to WFT, since I'm trying to get better at her. So obviously my w/l is pretty skewed, but I still use it as a motivator to give my all in every fight.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I actually have never checked it, don't even know where to look. I do find that I'll go on streaks where I'll win every game vs multiple people, or lose most games vs several people. Most recently, I ran into someone who was just completely destroying me. It came to mind to leave, but I considered it an opportunity to try to learn and get better(I've played few people capable of beating me that badly), and so I stayed and got throttled game after game for probably 10-15 games. I've also been recording lots of matches as well, I think I have a good 4-5 hours of recording so far. Getting better is my number 1 concern, regardless of win/loss rate.

Prawn

Smash Master
Never cared never will. Usually using a character for the first time when I go on for glory. Always laughing at people who are playing so serious and not learning anything.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I wouldn't abandon it, but I wouldn't grind for it either. Sure, I'll fight a nooby guy a few rounds if the connection is good, but I really go there to improve my fundamentals against good players.

samoht45

Smash Rookie
NNID
samoht45
I don't care at all about my win loss ratio. It's about learning and improving. A loss can a good thing, if you get bodied and you don't understand why, save and study the replay. If I dominate too many games I actually feel worse about ending my session because I do for glory to improve, not win.

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I guess if I think about it I don't care about my w/l because I'm constantly on anther's ladder asking for people who will beat me as hard as possible (because you're not going to git gud without challenging yourself), and because of this, when I used to play for glory, I would always stay and play someone who beat me until I either beat them without them challenging me, or until they left. Unfortunately, many people in for glory feel the same way, so when they beat you really easily they back out after 1 round. I wish nintendo gave you a way to communicate with these people, and in 2014 it's a really shameful thing that nintendo doesn't allow decent interaction between players like call of duty or other games that allow voice chat and friend requests to other players met online.

raymundoTheGod

Smash Apprentice
I usually am one to try to keep my w/l as high as possible. But I was in a lobby with someone who was better than me. I got two stocked a couple times but I stayed in order to learn and get better.
How many of you would willingly ruin your w/l to keep getting stomped and learn.
The only time I care about my W/L is to judge how well I am doing. I usually pay most attention to W/L of past 10, 50, etc.

TheDarkPotato

Smash Cadet
NNID
Federico2057
Never cared never will. Usually using a character for the first time when I go on for glory. Always laughing at people who are playing so serious and not learning anything.
Yo I think I played you earlier lol. I was playing yoshi and falcon

BubbaDuke

Smash Apprentice
I really just try to find players who are around my skill level. Dominating/Getting dominated isn't fun.

But no, you shouldn't care about your win/loss ratio. No one else cares about yours.

Sodo

Smash Journeyman
I'm sitting at 46% and I don't care because when you lose you learn something (usually). I've won 64% of my last 50 though so there's that.

Spec7re92

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spec7re
I admit I'm pretty self conscious about my w/l, so much that I tend to practice against computers for awhile before I get into for glory. That being said, I kind of enjoy finding players that beat me so that it becomes a learning experience.

D

Deleted member 245254

Doesn't matter to me in the slightest. If I'm met with unbearable input lag, I suicide. Even if I beat someone that presented no challenge and would simply feed me, I leave after the first match to find someone more challenging.

If I'm in For Glory, it's to improve myself, not waste my time proving to myself I can beat people worse than me or frame skipping around the screen, or dealing with unplayable button delay.

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
I really shouldn't care about since I play a plethora of characters besides my mains from time to time. But sometimes I peek a little because I need a positive reinforcement after a loss streak and because my friends keep bragging that they have 90ish percent win rates. So, in conclusion:

Last edited:

Darrylols

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0044-2880-7964
I am an extremely competitive person so I care 100% about my ratio. After I saw a post on here (Not this thread) I mean it doesn't really matter anymore. Who else will be able to see it except for you? nobody. Though having a nice ratio and feeling good about it seems good.. When I get really ticked off I just take a stroll outside. Really helps to calm me down. Especially I play smash at night so when I leave it's all very quiet.

Last edited:

SuaveChaser

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't matter to me. I use for glory for quick match and to learn. Actual tourney placing and results do matter.

Top Bottom