• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do You believe in Clairvoyance?

Cia

das kwl
Ok, so the weirdest thing happened to me the other day. I live in New York City and I'm waiting for the bus to stop. I thought i was alone, but then this really old woman comes out of no where and asks.

'Care to have your fortune told?'

and i'm like

'No thanks.'

So she just looks down and stands there for a moment. Then she looks up and says

'I think you need to hear this. I can tell you things about yourself that will intrigue you.'

and i reply

'NO.. Thank y-'

before i finish saying what i was going to stay she starts saying things that are going to happen to me, people I will meet, goal i will accomplish etc. At this point, i'm just really annoyed with her so i start to walk away. so she starts following me still going on about "my future." So after walking like 30 feet, i just start sprinting. And she starts running too!! i'm like "wtf."

It wasn't hard to outrun her, but then she started shouting things about me. Things that no one could have known about me. And these weren't vague things like 'you have a bad habit you can't get rid of.' She was DEAD ON with some of my health problems, the names of dead relatives, etc.

I've been thinking about this for a little while. How can someone know things about me that i've never told anyone? And if she knew this much about me, is there a chance she was right about my future?
------------

sorry about the tl;dr post. but it's the whole reason for my question.

Do you believe in Clairvoyance?

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
What a weird experience...

But after watching so much Derren Brown and knowing how effective some cold reading can be, I do have my doubts...

*shrug* I really don't know.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
There's no such thing as clairvoyance. It would be nice, though, if we could get our fortunes read and futures told!

But vanz, for all you know, you could've been the 10,000th person she said those things to and they just happened to be right. Unless you have some exceedingly rare medical condition or relatives with extremely uncommon names, I wouldn't think anything of it.

Cia

das kwl
^ LOL.. kinda yeah.

but yeah, i'm not a spiritual person. AT ALL. Completely non-religious and i really don't believe anything unless it can be proven. but i found it really odd that this crazed woman would know such things. Like she just said 'I know you're waiting on a new kidney!'

that just ****ed me up. but i kept going until i got to the next bus stop. While i personally do not believe in Clairvoyance, i wanted to know other people's take on the subject. or if anyone's had a remotely similar experience.

SkylerOcon

Tiny Dancer
I do not believe in Clairvoyance, but it is fun to trick people into thinking that I myself am Clairvoyant by cold reading them.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
Yeah, that kidney thing is just weird. Perhaps not only cold reading but perhaps she had some Sherlock Holmes-type ability where she could figure things out from what you're wearing or your physical stature....

Meh, I guess that's doubtful...

How weird.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Maybe you have yourself a stalker lol.
Holy crap, I don't know what I'd do some weird old lady was stalking me to find out about my and my families health problems.

But, like GoldShadow said, there's an ever so slight chance that I'd be right by accusing him of having black hair and only 3 close friends from his university that he associates regularly with. So yeah, It's too bad that wasn't a lottery ticket instead of a weird old lady whom I can't help but imagine looks like Impa from those CD-I Zelda games.

Cia

das kwl

lolol. I was thinking that.

Vanz, what else did she say?
she just mentioned names of people i come into contact with often. some of which are pretty common. and i tuned out most of her crap. but when she mentioned i that i needed a new kidney.. i was at a complete loss. i don't look sickly (lol) and the only way someone could have known that is if they read my blood test results.

highly doubt she's a stalker. it was just a VERY weird encounter.

Niiro

Smash Ace
Maybe its lke someother dude suspected, she could be like a sherlock holmes.

Cia

das kwl
-_-.. then for what reason would she having for revealing these truths about my past.. and etc etc.

this has gotten a little silly

Zero Beat

Cognitive Scientist
NNID
BLUE
3DS FC
4141-3279-8878
I don't believe in things that have been proven to be invalid. So my answer is no.

Xiahou Dun

Smash Ace
You can find out far more then you would think about a person just from talking to them and looking at their reactions without the aid of supernatural powers. Her readings if they are genuine are an amazing talent. But one learned not gifted. I don't believe in clairvoyance myself. I would reccomend checking out some Derren Brown on Youtube. Some of the stuff he does can be pretty interesting and I like how he never tries to claim unwordly powers. Yes I saw the otehr guy mentioning Derren Brown but I feel it deserves to be said twice. :p

Skler

Smash Master
Unless she shouted "I know you enjoy playing Super Smash Bros Melee at tournaments" there's nothing to worry about. Plus, if she was clairvoyant she could have just said something nobody would ever be able to tell, something like your full name, your super smash bros melee power ranking (and characters) and your mother's maiden name. I'd listen if somebody came up to me and said those things, at least until the cops showed up.

Also, she should have known you would run.

<3 vanz

Spire

III
BRoomer
I don't believe in things that have been proven to be invalid. So my answer is no.
I don't agree with things that try to disprove that which can't be disproved. I do believe in synchronicity, and clairvoyance, or some advanced energetic connection in lieu of what we believe clairvoyance to be, may be an agent of this universal synchronicity. I believe that by all things coexisting, any one thing is ultimately the same as everything else. There is no true individuality, and hence, bizarre, unexplained accounts of "psychic" instances where someone may, for unknown reasons, know true things about something or someone they've never encountered before in their life, is a matter of the synchronized nature of existence.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I've experienced synchronicity myself, it's definitely weird, it just happens out of nowhere. It's like deja vu but with a clue.

Morrigan

/!\<br>\¡/
The question is...was she REALLY there? That brings a whole new question.

:smoke::smoke::smoke:

Cia

das kwl
haha.. she was definitely there. I wasn't on ecstasy that night.

or ever for that matter.

and VERY nice post by Spire. I look forward to seeing xZero Beatx's response.

Hi Skler!! <3

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
The fact that one person has yet to actually go up and prove that there is anything paranormal about them makes me think that no one can, because if someone or people have that power then they wouldn't be making a job out of telling people what their dead grandfather wants them to know.

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I really don't belive that's possible either, but I have had something like that happen to me.

I knew this girl from Australia who I talked to frequently, and I met her over deviantArt. Now, overall I get very jumpy at giving people my personal information, so the most I told her is my first name and what state I lived in. Nothing more than that. One day i'm talking to her online, and she tells me my full name. I got a little worried, and I asked if she read it on one of my papers (I draw on my schoolwork, and if I ever send them to other people I black out the name on PS). She told me no, then ranted off my parents names, my address, my phone number, my birthday, my mother's MAIDEN name, and all this information I don't tell ANYBODY. It really freaked me out.

I still have no idea how she ever got that information and i'm still really skeptical about how she figured it out or how anyone could figure that information out without really knowing. So I see VaNz's point.

SuperRacoon

Smash Journeyman
Xiahou Dun said:
I would reccomend checking out some Derren Brown on Youtube.
Oh my god, I actually went ahead and watched some of those Darren Brown clips. All I can say about it now is Super Duper Meta Mind Games 0 to Death ultra combos! In a lot of the clips he even takes the time to briefly explain how he did it. Seriously, you should watch some those videos.

Smash Master
Notice how you never read in the newspaper:

PSYCHIC WINS LOTTERY

That pretty much sums up my position. She's prolly a stalker, or you're experiencing confirmation bias. Imagine all the crazy things people have ever said to you. What percentage would you say are true? What percent would you expect to be true? Maybe you're experiences are in the high perecentile of the curve, but I doubt you're an outlier. That one comment wouldn't change my perspective.

slave1

Smash Lord
well yes and no. no to the fortune tellers, but i am religious, and Mormon, so i believe in modern day revelation .

and most people have addictions or things like that, so if she got it right on, its out of experience.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
The fact that one person has yet to actually go up and prove that there is anything paranormal about them makes me think that no one can, because if someone or people have that power then they wouldn't be making a job out of telling people what their dead grandfather wants them to know.
or it happens and people choose to write it off. honestly, if VaNz' story is legitimate, and she really did know he was waiting for a kidney, what other explanation is there?

Don't get me wrong, I'm still skeptical, and I don't really know if I believe in clairvoyance, but even if someone did "prove" their clairvoyance, nobody (other than the one person who the clairvoyant read) would believe it. Proving clairvoyance is practically impossible. (Or at least I can't think of a way other than having every person on Earth experience it)

ColinJF

Smash Ace
But vanz, for all you know, you could've been the 10,000th person she said those things to and they just happened to be right. Unless you have some exceedingly rare medical condition or relatives with extremely uncommon names, I wouldn't think anything of it.
The odds might be significantly better than that. I did some cursory research and it looks like around 1/500 people in the US have "end stage renal disease". Those odds are good enough that you could scare people on a regular basis if you spent your days forcibly telling fortunes on the street. Might be fun.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
or it happens and people choose to write it off. honestly, if VaNz' story is legitimate, and she really did know he was waiting for a kidney, what other explanation is there?
You are combining two things. If VaNz's story is legitimate is one thing, if she really did know is something else. Shouting "you need a kidney" isn't knowing.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still skeptical, and I don't really know if I believe in clairvoyance, but even if someone did "prove" their clairvoyance, nobody (other than the one person who the clairvoyant read) would believe it. Proving clairvoyance is practically impossible. (Or at least I can't think of a way other than having every person on Earth experience it)
Someone specifically proving the future. There are plenty of things out there specifically out there to try and find someone who can prove it. Simple way would be to get a third party there, and to bring in random strangers, have the person tell about the strangers, then send the strangers away and have them write about whether or not it was true. For best results, have the stranger's face in a mask, so that the person couldn't try to cold read them during the diagnosis

Cia

das kwl
HAHA.. well. what i've posted is 100% legit. it is by far the weirdest encounter i've ever had.ni do regret posting this thread though because now i feel like a weirdo, but w/e haha.

and as for that woman going up to many people saying that, I highly doubt it. maybe you would have been there to see what it feels like to have someone just.. spew details about your life. I would get into specifics, but certain details were rather personal.

and i'd REALLY like to rule out the idea of some old foreign woman stalking me, but i don't have a better way to explain it either =[

slave1

Smash Lord
and i'd REALLY like to rule out the idea of some old foreign woman stalking me, but i don't have a better way to explain it either =[
you cant rule that out. cause she is stalking you. next thing you know, you'll wake up and she will be out side your window, heavily breathing. then she's gona start shouting " I'm Old miss Gregg!" then she going to ask you if you love her and to drink some baileys with her.

JLynn943

Smash Ace
Someone specifically proving the future. There are plenty of things out there specifically out there to try and find someone who can prove it. Simple way would be to get a third party there, and to bring in random strangers, have the person tell about the strangers, then send the strangers away and have them write about whether or not it was true. For best results, have the stranger's face in a mask, so that the person couldn't try to cold read them during the diagnosis
so these strangers write about it, who's going to believe them? People are not going to be willing to accept something like this as true. Excuses for why it is fake would rise immediately.

Smash Master
Just have a psychic pick the winning lotto numbers twice in succession and I'll no longer be skeptical.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
so these strangers write about it, who's going to believe them? People are not going to be willing to accept something like this as true. Excuses for why it is fake would rise immediately.
What I meant was that these strangers would be the test subjects in a scientific experiment. If it worked 100%, no doubt that this person actually had paranormal skill, then of course some people wont' believe it. People don't believe in the holocaust, or evolution or the moon landing. What matters is if it can be proven otherwise.

Pink Reaper

Real Name No Gimmicks
BRoomer
In the Air, Using Up b as an offensive move
HAHA.. well. what i've posted is 100% legit. it is by far the weirdest encounter i've ever had.ni do regret posting this thread though because now i feel like a weirdo, but w/e haha.

and as for that woman going up to many people saying that, I highly doubt it. maybe you would have been there to see what it feels like to have someone just.. spew details about your life. I would get into specifics, but certain details were rather personal.

Here's a question, did she say anything at all that was incorrect?

Cia

das kwl
^ NO. that's the thing. EVERYTHING that i could make out was accurate. and it was vague either. some names she threw out were Bianca, Kenneth, Brian. Those are pretty common names, but they're also people I come in contact w/ often.

Bianca - College Friend
Kenneth - Father's Name/ Older Brother's Name
Brian - Smasher (Alukard)

At first, I was running because I thought it would tick her off if she saw I wasn't gonna stay and listen. but after that, i was thinking 'How the **** would she know that?!?!' and i was just startled.. lol

Cia

das kwl
no. i suppose she was trying to prove her "legitimacy" but yeah, after i started running, she started shouting random facts about me.

Top Bottom