• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
We bring it up, like, every other day, don’t we? I go on about how I’m going to relish the salt regardless of who’s in.
No I'm sure no one has brought it up before. You can search all over this thread and you'll never find something that looks remotely similar to what I said.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
A game being very similar or incredibly similar to another game doesn't mean it can't become a high seller.
Which is actually kinda funny because after 1.0, Genshin has strayed further and further from BOTW, even when it comes to open-world exploration.

As in, if anyone made that comparison today, it would become immediately clear that they don't play the game lol.

SKX31

Smash Master
That looks so similar to Genshin that If you didn't tell me I would think that the screenshots were actually from Genshin. Then again I don't play that game.
Remember when people complained about Genshin being a Breath of the Wild ripoff? Now it's become one of the biggest mobile games in recent memory. How the turn tables.
Yeah, I do remember that clearly (not least since my post history does contain similar sentiments early on - I did rush a bit to conclusions back then, but still). The guy who smashed a PS4 over GI caught a lot of eyes, but that event also hints at a somewhat common sentiment within the Chinese (and nearby regions') hardcore playerbases: Not only are Japanese / Western made games preferred amongst the vocal hardcore, there's also a lot of ire surrounding how common copycats are domestically. Pokemon Unite's a good related example, since its reveal was instantly met with "Oh no, a Pokemon MOBA" by a large chunk of the hardcore there.

Still, it's a good thing that it didn't turn out that way, and miHoyo do deserve kudos for that.

Ivander's point is valid here though. Not only will a lot of players not care that much if a game is same-y if the game is enjoyable to begin with (regardless of region), but in a certain sense the familiarity can be helpful as long as the game doesn't actively cause people to explode with rage or cause indifference. I mean, CoD hasn't changed that much since MW1 and it still has a large fanbase that has generally stuck with the series. Mario Kart is another great example where they've not changed the formula much through the years.

We bring it up, like, every other day, don’t we? I go on about how I’m going to relish the salt regardless of who’s in.

:roll:

I just want a direct so I can be a bit distracted while waiting for October.

I didn’t know my birthday meant so much to you :088:
I remember the distant past, when people looked forward to September... :4pacman:

Last edited:

kylexv

Smash Master
A game being very similar or incredibly similar to another game doesn't mean it can't become a high seller.
Absolutely. The fact that so many games take inspiration from Breath of the Wild is more of a testament to the success of Breath of the Wild and what it did for the industry. I have no ill will toward Genshin because of its similarities to Breath of the Wild, but the gacha mechanics sour any motivation I would have to play the game.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
Yeah, I do remember that clearly (not least since my post history does contain similar sentiments early on - I did rush a bit to conclusions back then, but still). The guy who smashed a PS4 over GI caught a lot of eyes, but that event also hints at a somewhat common sentiment within the Chinese (and nearby regions') hardcore playerbases: Not only are Japanese / Western made games preferred amongst the vocal hardcore, there's also a lot of ire surrounding how common copycats are domestically. Pokemon Unite's a good related example, since its reveal was instantly met with "Oh no, a Pokemon MOBA" by a large chunk of the hardcore there.

Still, it's a good thing that it didn't turn out that way, and miHoyo do deserve kudos for that.

@Ivander's point is valid here though. Not only will a lot of players not care that much if a game is same-y if the game is enjoyable to begin with (regardless of region), but in a certain sense the familiarity can be helpful as long as the game doesn't actively cause people to explode with rage or cause indifference. I mean, CoD hasn't changed that much since MW1 and it still has a large fanbase that has generally stuck with the series. Mario Kart is another great example where they've not changed the formula much through the years.
To add to that... I mean, look at Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl. It's clearly not a game with a lot of budget behind it, and clearly borrows a lot of stuff from Smash - but the gameplay is interesting and complex enough that it kinda becomes its own thing. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw both Smash and NASB at a future competition, even if the latter is only present as a side event.

Kinda shows that there's a big difference between inspiration and copying someone else's homework - and players can notice that.

Also, I'm disappointed you lost the opportunity to say LoL began with Dota's mechanics. :4pacman:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Genshin fans and their nagging have done a fantastic job in ensuring I never go anywhere near the game. Ever. It's similar to how I feel about FFXIV in that regard.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Is it the 20th anniversary of Luigi mansion tonight??? The dates always confuse me.

If it is then I Wonder if tonight’s 4:00 am sakurai of the day post is gonna be celebrating Luigi mansion’s 20th anniversary and then the event tomorrow night finally be for Luigi mansion 3

if it gets neither of those then I’m calling sus.

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
Another thing I saw someone bring up about a direct maybe coming up

"Nintendo just announced Tetris 99's Maximus Cup today (it will be WarioWare themed this time).

The Maximus Cup is always announced on a Wednesday.

This time they announced it on a Monday.

Something is happening Wednesday."

This was KingofallKOSMOS on GameFAQS. What do you think? That would mean an announcement tomorrow, but I'm not so sure. Seems kinda loose, but I'm so ready for a direct lol

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Ah reminds me of the DR days.

Anyone here I will pp you 20 dollars usd if you correctly guess fp11.

For a free premium to this site for 1 year...

Make me a vidja of a Ganondorf Warlock Punch being Foresighted.

(limit 1 winner for each prize)

Unless she can't do that but she can cause it happened we just don't have the... FORESIGHT... To save ****. And tbfaaaair it was an 8 player ffa with items and cpus lol

Last edited:

ryuryunonoroi

Smash Apprentice
Part of smash core, as in being INTEGRAL to the game. VERY few gamemodes have been retained game to game. By definition, they are not CORE mechanics and they can be largely ignored after being beaten and forgotten about within a year.

And no the 3DS controls are ass for a fighting game. You are not "fine" they're barely a tier above a single joycon... not even 2 of them. There isn't even a C stick. Controls are how you interface with the entire game as a whole. All its systems and mechanics. If they're terrible, the entire game as a whole suffers for it.
The 3DS isn't very good for fighting games in general. Handhelds aside from the Switch aren't, and that's mainly because they're a lot more demanding on inputs and will wear out your buttons and analogs much more quickly.

Ivander's point is valid here though. Not only will a lot of players not care that much if a game is same-y if the game is enjoyable to begin with (regardless of region), but in a certain sense the familiarity can be helpful as long as the game doesn't actively cause people to explode with rage or cause indifference. I mean, CoD hasn't changed that much since MW1 and it still has a large fanbase that has generally stuck with the series. Mario Kart is another great example where they've not changed the formula much through the years.

:roll:

I remember the distant past, when people looked forward to September... :4pacman:
I went to an invidious instance to grab this as a reaction video and was happily reacquainted with this classic so thank you for that.
The sphere is now completely purple.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The 3DS isn't very good for fighting games in general. Handhelds aside from the Switch aren't, and that's mainly because they're a lot more demanding on inputs and will wear out your buttons and analogs much more quickly.
Case in point: Pressing the R button a ton while playing Super Smash Bros. has caused the button to wear down, and break the hinge. Opening and closing the 3Ds causes it to break more.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Case in point: Pressing the R button a ton while playing Super Smash Bros. has caused the button to wear down, and break the hinge. Opening and closing the 3Ds causes it to break more.
I got my wife the one that looks like Pikachu but I guess it's not a true 3ds which gamestop failed to explain but my fault it was impulse buy...

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Is it the 20th anniversary of Luigi mansion tonight??? The dates always confuse me.

If it is then I Wonder if tonight’s 4:00 am sakurai of the day post is gonna be celebrating Luigi mansion’s 20th anniversary and then the event tomorrow night finally be for Luigi mansion 3

I recall Luigi's Mansion debuted in November of 2021.

It's also Undertale's 6th anniversary this week.

subterrestrial

Smash Ace

I swear if he doesn’t acknowledge the anniversary, it’s basically a lock

Gnateb

Smash Journeyman
I recall Luigi's Mansion debuted in November of 2021.

It's also Undertale's 6th anniversary this week.
Speaking of Anniversaries, it doesn't really seem like any Miis or Characters in FP2 have come out after their anniversary (for the tweet) iirc 🤔. Heihachi even dropped earlier for the anniversary tweet.

Partially related, Dark Souls' 10th anniversary is on the 22nd. Hype!

20210913_184658.jpg

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure if anyone has brought this up and I don't think people think of this but Challenger Pack 11 is going to be so hated!
That is just the boiling pressure of over 3 years of speculation coming to a close and everyone falling into despair because this feels like Sakurai's last Smash game and their expectations could not be met or end up being someone they weren't prepared for. Best thing to do at times like these is to just relax, enjoy the ride of the final character and spread some positivity around because this is still one of the best Smash games to date.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Genshin fans and their nagging have done a fantastic job in ensuring I never go anywhere near the game. Ever. It's similar to how I feel about FFXIV in that regard.
I don't understand this phenomenon like fan reaction / toxicity or is there more to it? Like if the dread fans suddenly shifted somehow into not your cuppa do you just never play it then? (mind I mention dread as purely by example.)

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
Congratulations on the 20th anniversary of Luigi's Mansion, that is, the 20th anniversary of GameCube!

subterrestrial

Smash Ace
I don't understand this phenomenon like fan reaction / toxicity or is there more to it? Like if the dread fans suddenly shifted somehow into not your cuppa do you just never play it then? (mind I mention dread as purely by example.)
I also never understood why people let the fans of something influence their opinion on the thing itself, they’re 2 different things

lol hope that makes sense

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Even if you know the fans and the work aren't synonymous, if you're neutral/uninterested in something interactions with the fans often tend to be your main interaction with that bit of media. As such, the fans have a tendency to color your perspective on it.

For example, maybe there's this hot new indie RPG/bullet hell hybrid Swordie McShooty. You're not that interested in it and don't feel like digging deeper, but suddenly it's everywhere and certain people are being extremely obnoxious about the game, shoving it in your face at every turn and demeaning everything else. They didn't make the game or determine what happens in it, but that's still gonna color your perspective on it and kill any interest you could've had for it.

Conversely, let's say your friend is a big fan of Swordie McShooty. Bullet hells and/or RPGs aren't really your cup of tea, but they're a real pal and you can tell they really enjoy the game, and they're all too happy to educate new recruits into the fandom. Since you now associate the game with someone you like rather than someone you don't like, that paints the game in a positive light.

In short, you tend to associate games with people who like them, and so your impression of a game is often colored by your opinion of the community surrounding it, especially if you don't know/care about it much yourself.

At least, that's how I think it goes.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Here it is

I must correct myself. It was a few more pages.
But reading through some of those old posts is pretty funny now. :4ryu:
God what a fascinating time capsule. People were so convinced a third party company could NEVER have more than one rep. Now here we sit with three characters each from Konami, Sega, Capcom, and Square Enix. Bandai Namco and Microsoft have two each.

Also what is with the sheer amount of open hostility? Lot of people in that old thread deliberately going into a support thread and saying "dear god not Ryu". A lot of hate directed towards him for apparently "stealing Mega Man's spotlight". It's like an earlier version of the scrimblo bimblo fans complaining about realistic characters. Smash and Nintendo fans never change I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom