• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
^ What TCT said!

I'll be watching it as well, as someone who wants to get a PS5, looking forward to Sony's announcements.

Also wanna see OW2 which was confirmed to be there, and many more things!

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Welp we’ve already got a final two “leak”. Leak is in quotes because this is SO obviously fake

Time travel jokes aside, they’ve never made a generalized release date IN the trailers, have they?
If this happens then Dixie may have the worst ****ing trailer yet

Iko MattOrr

Smash Champion
NNID
Iko_MattOrr
Well aside from this current debate, does anyone here feel that the spirit of Smash Bros has lost its way over the years?

Personally I feel Smash is stronger than ever in this department. I'm not sure what the problem is, so maybe someone can better explain. Everyone is back, so many returning and new stages, tons of franchises represented old and new, a unique story mode. What's not to like?
I don't know either, but until Melee I was under the impression that the series had a more coherent and focused vision, while later the series became more and more random, a collection of as much stuff as possible without much thought behind.

Like stages for example, in the old games there was one song for each stage (+ secret song with rare chance of happening in Melee), now you have a selection of hundred of songs and they aren't even stage specific anymore.
The more the merrier right? It's a lot better to have more content rather than less? I don't think so. I'd prefer having stages designed to have a stronger identity and to match an overall identity of the game in a coherent way, rather than having stages that are model imports from other games and random ost. The identity is completely lost.Not to mention that the stage selection has big problems, such as, there are several versions of the typical Mario first level, but there isn't even a Bowser's Castle stage, and Pac-Man can't even have the location it's famous for.

This is just an example, in a game as big as Smash Bros, there are many things that changed in favor of quantity over consistency. The way how they managed to make all those different art styles and stuff coexist in the same game and look good is impressive, there's a lot of work behind that, I know, but I personally prefer a different approach to the overall concept of the game as a whole.

It's not even just that, even the way how the gameplay is done... and movesets... the game is still too much bound to its roots, it isn't evolving, it's just refining the gameplay of Brawl all over again (that anyway was very based on Melee already). We never got another jump like 64 to Melee, where they added many new moves and features to the core gameplay. Some veterans could be completely redesigned to have a moveset that matches their more recent appearances, but we're still stuck with their old movesets for the sake of not alienating the old mains of those characters (rarely they modify a veteran's moveset, and when they do it's usually just a few moves at best). Why doesn't Young Link use the ocarina and the masks? Why isn't Samus' moveset redesigned around her more agile version from Other M and Samus' Return? etc etc.

tldr:
I see the new direction of Smash as taking as much stuff as possible and sticking it all together with some tape, and I don't like this. At this point I'm hoping for a reboot and I don't even care if it cuts 90% of the content.

LAA9000

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
JUST#956
3DS FC
0361-9069-2936
Switch FC
SW-5393-4946-0209
Welp we’ve already got a final two “leak”. Leak is in quotes because this is SO obviously fake

Time travel jokes aside, they’ve never made a generalized release date IN the trailers, have they?
I saw that same leak just now. I came here to warn all of you about it fearing it was probably real, but I trusted you when you said it was 'obviously fake' and can verify it also feels fake. Notably, why would they reuse the King K. Rool reveal trailer format a third time? Additionally, why would they sell a semi-clone as full DLC? That sounds ironic given that I'm an Octoling supporter, but I do think they could work as a mostly unique fighter, and maybe Dixie Kong could as well.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord

If a leak got out with this much information, the source of it would get found out. Fake and sus.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I haven't seen a leak that seems real yet. As stated, Nintendo/Sakurai have really been able to keep things under secrecy for FP#2.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I haven't seen a leak that seems real yet. As stated, Nintendo/Sakurai have really been able to keep things under secrecy for FP#2.
PracticeBrush12 couldn't tell us that :ultpyra: was our Feb. Direct reveal, after all.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I still applaud him for getting previous points correct.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
Any leaks which are just paragraphs of fanfiction are essentially always fake.

When we dig up real leaks about Smash characters, they're always the exact name, maybe with one extra detail. Think leaks like the Luke Skywalker in Cloud City leak hinting at Cloud, or the person who said Piranha Plant has no fire specials, or the guy who hinted at Min Min through tweets, or the Steve leak that said his Final Smash is a Piston etc.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
He did not.
Let’s gooooo Master Chief & 2B!

My MS/Square repeat theory shall become true.

Invisible Shiny Bulbasaur

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BigUglyMan-Doll
Well, they were more a given for Ultimate given the trophy and Mii in 4. I started actively wanting Octoling after beating the Octo Expansion and winning Final Fest with my Octoling
Well, I can understand that a character reveal is more exciting when you aren't expecting it. The most exciting reveals for me by far were Everyone is Here, Ridley, and Banjo & Kazooie, because those were the things I desperately wanted but didn't dare hope for. In BK's case I thought they'd be passed over in favor of Minecraft, and I'd given up on Ridley after he got the boss treatment two games in a row.

But just because something is given, doesn't mean it's not still hype worthy! :)
I was absolutely dead certain about Pac-Man, Dragon Quest, and Minecraft content, and I was still really happy when they finally happened.

For what it's worth, I think the only reason Octoling wasn't an echo fighter in the base game was because Sakurai would rather make them a more unique fighter and hasn't had the time yet. Look at ARMS and XBC2, they were too late for the base game but got fighters eventually. It could happen for Splatoon 2, and if it doesn't, we will most definitely see a new fighter from Splatoon next Smash.
Since Inkling draws inspiration mainly from the first Splatoon, I expect we'll see new fighters with weapons from the second and third games next time around. An Octoling feels pretty inevitable.

I'm just trying to help you see the bright side, I guess.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman
On the Subject of the PapaGenos video, what do you think about not having a 2010s tournament yet? Could one of the characters we think are likely fit in well there and Nintendo is just waiting? We already got Steve from 2009/2011 and Min Min and Pyra from 2017. For unreleased characters, my top bet would be Dark Souls which came out in 2011, or a modern Nintendo rep... but I'm also going to shill GTAV and mention how that game and its characters mainly debuted in 2013 so it also checks out. Who else would qualify if they would be hypothetically holding on to this 2010s event??

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
On the Subject of the PapaGenos video, what do you think about not having a 2010s tournament yet? Could one of the characters we think are likely fit in well there and Nintendo is just waiting? We already got Steve from 2009/2011 and Min Min and Pyra from 2017. For unreleased characters, my top bet would be Dark Souls which came out in 2011, or a modern Nintendo rep... but I'm also going to shill GTAV and mention how that game and its characters mainly debuted in 2013 so it also checks out. Who else would qualify if they would be hypothetically holding on to this 2010s event??
Octoling? MAYBE a League of Legends character as it exited beta around 2010-2011 I believe?

…or Elma… :crying:

Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
See I actually like the idea of Dixie reusing the K. Rool trailer format one last time...

But why would they add Banjo and Gruntilda to the end of it instead of like, Cloud and Sephiroth? The whole point of the montage was to show the playable heroes and their respective villains on the playable roster!
Yeah. It would be highly weird unless they also announced that they are adding Gruntilda as a bonus character, but I doubt that.

AnEasterEgg

Smash Journeyman
I remember back in the Terry days people were losing their goddamn minds about inputs. People ended up laughing about pretzel and pentagram motions constantly as a result and for good reason lmao
I prefer Smash to traditional fighting games in large part because I find their needlessly complex inputs stupid. It's just a boring muscle memory grind that artificially raises the skill floor.

CureParfait

Smash Ace

That leak is so fake via they got the year wrong and legitimate leaks aren't this lengthy in description wise.

osby

Smash Obsessed
I prefer Smash to traditional fighting games in large part because I find their needlessly complex inputs stupid. It's just a boring muscle memory grind that artificially raises the skill floor.
I wouldn't say it's just that. Inputs allow fighting games to have wide movesets with just a few buttons. You can't do that in Smash.

They're not for everyone one but saying it's stupid undersells their purpose.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Here's a video about that. (swear warning)

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master

Too long didn't read.
I mean, whenever a "leak" makes the effort to describe a trailer with such detail it's more often than not fake. Often it's the leaks that are like "the next character is X bye" or then a short rundown of a trailer "this happens, then this, release on this day" which end up being real.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Too long didn't read.
I mean, whenever a "leak" makes the effort to describe a trailer with such detail it's more often than not fake. Often it's the leaks that are like "the next character is X bye" or then a short rundown of a trailer "this happens, then this, release on this day" which end up being real.
Yep. This is correct.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Correct me if I’m wrong but

wasn’t the Kencineroar trailer’s events leaked in their entirety?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

I don't think it was leaked, it was just that everyone guessed how it would go down because it was the most obvious trailer possible. What other trailer could they have given to the fighting game character and the wrestling Pokemon?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203

If true, I'd be pretty content with this.

First one more then earns their place in Smash being one of the last so-called all-stars.

The second I'd be really hyped for.

RGFS

Smash Journeyman

From what I remember, it wasn't. Ken was leaked with a simple image. Incineroar was constantly being mentioned by insiders which honestly made him one of the worst kept secrets ever. We were down to one last presentation and it was gonna be characters from the Grinch Leak or possibly a double reveal for Ken and Incineroar. Most of the community already felt a reveal with both of them made sense at the time anyway.

Yiptap

Smash Lord

I've learned my lesson to never trust leaks after July 20th...
But that leak just feels kind of like the person wants those specific characters. If you want to make your leak believable, then you should at least not be so specific with the reveal trailers and stuff like that.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I don't see why it couldn't work.

However, I don't see the draw in most of the tournaments. The reward is a spirit or spirits that you likely already have in your collection anyways. I rarely participate in any of the online events. I do like when they release new spirits and do events for that.

I've learned my lesson to never trust leaks
But that leak just feels kind of like the person wants those specific characters. If you want to make your leak believable, then you should at least not be so specific with the reveal trailers and stuff like that.
Fixed it for you :).

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You know who else could work in a pink background?

Mods plz don't ban me I hope this image is suitable for SmashBoards x_x
I mean yeah there is a chance for Trevor to crossdress, but that's GTAV art combined with IV art, not something Rockstar made. Besides, Trevor's color would be orange, as that's what GTAV associates him with.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I mean yeah there is a chance for Trevor to crossdress, but that's GTAV art combined with IV art, not something Rockstar made. Besides, Trevor's color would be orange, as that's what GTAV associates him with.
Bruh you missed the funny

it's fine ig...

In all seriousness, Dixie Kong, Ahri from LoL, and (BIG MAYBE) Yuri Lowell could work in pink, though the latter would do better in magenta or purple.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
oh god oh god oh god
I’ve been thinking Dixie is the most likely character for a while now. Everything just makes too much sense from the lack of Tropical Freeze content, her planned inclusion in Brawl, the color theory, and the rumored new DK game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom