• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
I remember so many people thinking Rosalina's trailer was Air Ride 2 or Kirby in Mario Kart at first lol
I remember that too

Honestly, part of me DOESNT want CP11 to be a first party.

Byleth was CP5, right? Mans got a standalone direct that was hyped up (sure people didn't hype up responsibly and never truly will) and unless I'm mistaken, there were MOSTLY negative connotations towards the character's reveal. Many said, "bad way to end the pass"

I'd rather NOT have such negativity again. But we will..

sigh
Byleth didn’t get the level of hate he did because he was first-party, but because he was the 8th Fire Emblem character. Being third-party in no way prevents a character from getting salt and every other DLC character, both first and third-party got salt directed their way, even:ultbanjokazooie:, the massively fan requested duo.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
As much as I’d love an LSDDE Stage, I feel like it wouldn’t happen regardless of how many hypothetical stages Ultimate could get.

I’d kill for any Yumi Nikki content of any kind though. A nexus stage would be great.
Oh yeah, anything from Osamu Sato is pure pipe-dream. But I've always had the faintest glimmer of hope for Yume Nikki in Smash to some degree. A Madotsuki Mii outfit would be amazing. Ah, well. There's always mods.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
OK, I just generated a random LOL character. This will be the LOL rep.
i don't know who he is but he's in
LoL's resident Vampire - who really ****ing loves to cause blood-related explosions all over the place. Kinda heroic IIRC, but also a massive hedonist according to the lore.

Nintendo has never really cared much about the community aspect of their games, and has always marched to their own beat. There's pretty much 0 chance of something like this happening.
I definetely feel that it's going to bite Nintendo in the ass harder than it already has one day, one way or the other. But it's difficult to say what the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back will be or when it happens: and I'm saying this since Nintendo's already had to respond to quite a few things that happened within their games at awkward timings.

Personally I suspect that it's due to Nintendo's MO still being "we want to be a video game / toy company first and foremost, nothing else" although rapidly increasing costs and demands from the playerbases kinda force them into maintaining some semblance of online or other aspects.

inb4 Tabuu makes his grand return
05f (1).jpg

:4pacman:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Let's have some fun..
Come up with splash screen taglines, either for your MWs or for E3-potentials

I'll start:
Doomslayer Unleashes Hell!
Crash Comes to Smash!
Ahri Joins the Smash League!
Tracer brings the cavalry!

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I think people get the wrong idea about reception toward first parties. I'm definitely not gonna deny that they get more heat now than they would have on the base roster... but hell, if Ridley or K. Rool were DLC instead they would still be beloved like they are now.

The reason people are adverse toward first party DLC is because of the precedent that has been set. Byleth, Min Min and Pythra are all characters from the last five years that debuted on Switch. Prior to that, there was Corrin who needs no introduction. This has no bearing on what I think of these characters mind you, but it's easy to see why there's some aversion toward the idea when Nintendo only seems willing to give their own blood the time of day for DLC when it's to promote a recent title / correlates with something new on current hardware.

Same goes for why say, Pokemon and Fire Emblem are met with groans but people are still open to Mario characters. Mario characters get added because they're popular and consistently relevant. Pokemon and FE only get characters when there's something new to promote. If we started getting some random Gen 3 or Gen 5 Pokemon or something, I think people would receive that very very different than they would say, Cinderace.

If we got Dixie Kong or Waluigi as DLC, or a new franchise like Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven, or a new Zelda character... I am very confident that this would go over a lot better than what we've seen thus far. Granted Pyra and Mythra aren't even maligned characters, they were received fairly well given the unfortunate fate of XB2 on the base roster.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Let's have some fun..

I'll start:
Crash Comes to Smash!
Ahri Runs the Rift!
Octoling Paints the Town Pink!
Reimu Hears The Prayer!
KOS-MOS Locks On!
T-elos Enforces Order?!

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I think people get the wrong idea about reception toward first parties. I'm definitely not gonna deny that they get more heat now than they would have on the base roster... but hell, if Ridley or K. Rool were DLC instead they would still be beloved like they are now.

The reason people are adverse toward first party DLC is because of the precedent that has been set. Byleth, Min Min and Pythra are all characters from the last five years that debuted on Switch. Prior to that, there was Corrin who needs no introduction. This has no bearing on what I think of these characters mind you, but it's easy to see why there's some aversion toward the idea when Nintendo only seems willing to give their own blood the time of day for DLC when it's to promote a recent title / correlates with something new on current hardware.

Same goes for why say, Pokemon and Fire Emblem are met with groans but people are still open to Mario characters. Mario characters get added because they're popular and consistently relevant. Pokemon and FE only get characters when there's something new to promote. If we started getting some random Gen 3 or Gen 5 Pokemon or something, I think people would receive that very very different than they would say, Cinderace.

If we got Dixie Kong or Waluigi as DLC, or a new franchise like Golden Sun or Rhythm Heaven, or a new Zelda character... I am very confident that this would go over a lot better than what we've seen thus far. Granted Pyra and Mythra aren't even maligned characters, they were received fairly well given the unfortunate fate of XB2 on the base roster.
Not to go on a specific character...

but I think Dixie + the reveal of a new DKC game could work... and would get hyped up af

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
That too.
Although, I honestly think this is true, third parties are always received better.

But yea, you do be right Mushroomguy.
Yes, third parties are received better as DLC, but Nintendo knows they don't need a constant barrage of third parties to sell a pass when the two we got are mother****ing Minecraft and Sephiroth, two bigger third parties than the four in FP1.

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Not that this was super likely anyway, but I think it's a safe bet to say we aren't getting both Crash and Master Chief.

Natethehate seems to be pretty credible (as far as I can tell) and while the doubt he cast on both of those characters was just speculation, he did say he knew of a character that wasn't either of them.
Daaamn , where was this?

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Yes, third parties are received better as DLC, but Nintendo knows they don't need a constant barrage of third parties to sell a pass when the two we got are mother****ing Minecraft and Sephiroth, two bigger third parties than the four in FP1.
For sure.

ffs, one could argue that both :ultsteve: and :ultsephiroth:can even be recognized by non gamers.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Real talk why haven’t we had another tag line that ends in “?!” Rather than “!”

last time was Lucina. It’d need to be someone really unexpected (and optionally an echo)

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
Let's have some fun..

I'll start:
Crash Comes to Smash!
Master Chief Finishes the Fight!
Crash Bashes Through Smash!
Doomslayer Rips and Tears!
Dr. Eggman Has the Master Plan!
Reimu Exterminates Evil Spirits!
Ayumi is on the Case!

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I definetely feel that it's going to bite Nintendo in the ass harder than it already has one day, one way or the other. But it's difficult to say what the straw that breaks the proverbial camel's back will be or when it happens: and I'm saying this since Nintendo's already had to respond to quite a few things that happened within their games at awkward timings.

Personally I suspect that it's due to Nintendo's MO still being "we want to be a video game / toy company first and foremost, nothing else" although rapidly increasing costs and demands from the playerbases kinda force them into maintaining some semblance of online or other aspects.
Nintendo's a real buttmunch when it comes to embracing industry trends they themselves didn't come up with. I believe that's the correct technical term, right? A buttmunch? I mean they were on the forefront of digital presentations, and they provided a back catalogue marketplace before others, but then at the same time, why can't we get an achievement/trophy system? That only increases engagement and playtime. It makes a meta game out of gaming.

And stuff like their draconian management of their fan communities and their paltry online is just beating a dead horse at this point. It's almost self-sabotaging At least it sounds like the Switch Pro will have an ethernet port. But now that they actually charge for online they really need to continue/start picking up their slack.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ya know what bonus content I'd like to see beyond characters and stages and such? A classic route for the Mii fighters! They are in the classic route mural art for crying out loud!!!
in the far distance Smash Run!!!!!!!!!

But allowing Miis to be added to the Random Character button would be nice too.

Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura
So I was looking into Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis and someone made a really really good KOS-MOS.
Which was followed by another person making a really good T-ELOS.
The game's not out yet(although it's supposedly coming out around the 8th/9th of June). It was people experimenting with the Character Creator and Benchmark that shows off the character in a cutscene. But considering how much you vouch for KOS-MOS and T-ELOS, I thought you'd like seeing these.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Let's have some fun..

I'll start:
Crash Comes to Smash!
Freddy Frights Tonight

7NATOR

Smash Master
For sure.

ffs, one could argue that both :ultsteve: and :ultsephiroth:can even be recognized by non gamers.
Sephiroth is a maybe. There were even some Gamer people that didn't know who Sephiroth was surprisingly. I wouldn't expect the same thing for Minecraft

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
For sure.

I've even come to the conclusion that when Sakurai said "I thought one or two fighters might suffice", Sephiroth is the "one" and Steve is the "or two".

Sephiroth is the "one" because it seems he was going to come regardless so Cloud could be a base game character and Square Enix could still earn DLC+FFVII bucks. Steve is the "or two" because he depended on more factors falling into place: Nintendo and Mojang finally getting all the licensing straightened out, Sakurai finding out how to make him "dance", the team having the time to reprogram every stage so Steve can mine and craft.

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
This is something I’ve had trouble thinking of. If we got a fighting game character that would require an input making you hold or double tap a direction (i.e. Chun Li, Scorpion, Subzero, etc)

How would that work in Smash Matches with more than 2 Fighters?

The only thing I can think would be some sort of lock on move. Like hitting a command that locks you onto a fighter, letting you not turn and perform moves properly.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If we’re getting another big character, then I’m gonna throw in a Resident Evil character as a potential dark horse.

There’s a lot of valid things going against it like the DLC spirits & recent batch of Capcom Miis. But this pass has been full of characters that have proven common assumptions wrong (:ultminmin:ultsephiroth::ultpyra:). So this could be the next thing that sneaks up on us & proves everyone wrong.

On top of that, RE is doing a decent amount of big crossovers to celebrate RE’s 25th anniversary. So far we have Rainbow Six: Siege & Dead By Daylight. I think at the very least a RE Mii costume is likely.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
inb4 dixie kong

I mean sakurai did say he wanted to add more women into smash
I don’t think he ever said that.

Also, I’m going to say that if we are going to get another first-party fighter in this pass it definitely won’t be a Sword & Shield Pokemon. However, I’m still going to say the last two will be third-party characters.

Ivander

Smash Legend
, but then at the same time, why can't we get an achievement/trophy system? That only increases engagement and playtime. It makes a meta game out of gaming.
I don't like achievements and trophies. They mess with my OCD and feels like I'm being punished for not completing a game that I had no interest in 100% completing cause they just frickin' stay there and you can't get rid of them or hide them. The only games I 100% complete are the ones I really enjoy and those ones I'm proud of, but for the ones I never got an interest in completing 100%, it feels more like you're getting nagged at or something.
Like, "You didn't 100% complete this game, so we are going to make sure you keep seeing those numbers that show you didn't complete all of this game that you didn't enjoy enough."

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I've even come to the conclusion that when Sakurai said "I thought one or two fighters might suffice", Sephiroth is the "one" and Steve is the "or two".

Sephiroth is the "one" because it seems he was going to come regardless so Cloud could be a base game character and Square Enix could still earn DLC+FFVII bucks. Steve is the "or two" because he depended on more factors falling into place: Nintendo and Mojang finally getting all the licensing straightened out, Sakurai finding out how to make him "dance", the team having the time to reprogram every stage so Steve can mine and craft.
See I always thought it was swapped. Steve was "One", and Sephiroth was the "or two", because I Imagine since Microsoft in the court is a big deal, and it being Minecraft, that Steve would have been the priority

but you do actually make a great point about Sephiroth actually being the "One". I actually disagree in that I think Cloud could have still been in the game even if Sephiroth wasn't in the pipeline.

But I Imagine that Since Ken Masters was in the pipeline as early as 2015, I Imagine Sephiroth was in the pipeline as well, and since Nintendo/Sakurai already worked with Square to get Cloud, Sephiroth would be more reassured than Steve

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I don't like achievements and trophies. They mess with my OCD and feels like I'm being punished for not completing a game that I had no interest in 100% completing cause they just frickin' stay there and you can't get rid of them or hide them. The only games I 100% complete are the ones I really enjoy and those ones I'm proud of, but for the ones I never got an interest in completing 100%, it feels more like you're getting nagged at or something.
Like, "You didn't 100% complete this game, so we are going to make sure you keep seeing those numbers that show you didn't complete all of this game that you didn't enjoy enough."
Ok, that's fair, but at the same time, that OCD is going to drive a lot of people to play more of that game, or play additional games for more trophies/gamerscore. Not to say it's always that exploitative though, some people just like collecting that kind of stuff. I'm sure Nintendo would have some weird Nintendo take on it, because they gotta be special, but a lot of people do embrace the feature pretty wholeheartedly, and it would benefit them as well. There's a reason Sony made their own version.

Paraster

Smash Lord
Let's have some fun..

I'll start:
Crash Comes to Smash!
A few ones I've done before...
Quote Takes the Shot!
Neku Makes Some Noise!
Cadence Feels the Rhythm!
Heavy Revs Up!
Frisk is Determined to Smash!
Bandana Waddle Dee Proves Himself!
Octoling Makes A Mess!
Shovel Knight Digs In!
Madeline Climbs to Greatness!
Hat Kid Kills Time!
Reimu Spells Trouble!
And some more:

PAPYRUS BONES UP!/PAPYRUS CAUSES SOME TROUSLE! (rendered in Papyrus font)
The Knight Enters the Void!

Also been trying to come up with lines for Gordon Freeman, but all the iconic quotes I found sounded too cheesy as splash text and I haven't played Half-Life enough to come up with anything else.

7NATOR

Smash Master
yea it was back during the brawl days
I think I might know what you're talking about

I think you may be referring to the time that Sakurai commented on Peach and/or Zelda being added in Melee, saying something of increased female representation (since 64 only had Samus, who I bet many didn't even know was a woman at the time)

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I think I might know what you're talking about

I think you may be referring to the time that Sakurai commented on Peach and/or Zelda being added in Melee, saying something of increased female representation (since 64 only had Samus, who I bet many didn't even know was a woman at the time)
It was part of why Zero Suit Samus was added. He wanted a Metroid newcomer and a female character. ZSS was nicely both.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Ok, that's fair, but at the same time, that OCD is going to drive a lot of people to play more of that game, or play additional games for more trophies/gamerscore. Not to say it's always that exploitative though, some people just like collecting that kind of stuff. I'm sure Nintendo would have some weird Nintendo take on it, because they gotta be special, but a lot of people do embrace the feature pretty wholeheartedly, and it would benefit them as well. There's a reason Sony made their own version.
Like, if people want to go for trophies, that's fine and stuff. I just wish you could turn them off or something since it feels like it's just taunting me for not 100% completing the games I never felt an incentive to complete. Like everytime you open them up to check on the game you are actually trying to complete the trophy list for, it shows you all the others you didn't do and gives you the "you have 235 out of 1145 trophies out of all the games you played." or whatever. And it keeps adding to the last number for everytime you play a new game.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Ya know
That 5chan dude that mentioned the names Erdrick, Steve, Hayabusa, and Doomguy...

What if he's been right this whole time and Hayabusa & Doomguy are our final 2?
I say Doomguy, NOT Chief.

Hayabusa and Chief would be cool though
I’d love that but both Id & Koei gave pretty definitive answers about Doom Slayer & Hayabusa. They could’ve been lying but I doubt it.

I would best describe Bayonetta as a “niche third party”

like how Ryu, Cloud, Hero, Banjo, Steve and Sephiroth (and Joker, depending) are “major” third parties. Terry could also fall into the “niche” side

so yeah
I’d count Persona 5 as a major pick, especially if you count Banjo as one. Persona 5’s been one of the most popular/beloved games to come out of Japan in the past couple years.

warubyun

Smash Apprentice
Off-topic as this was found yesterday in the Waluigi thread, but it’s cool to see Waluigi grouped with :ultmario::ultluigi::ultwario: in this T-Shirt.
The surge in (relative) attention he's been getting in recent time - a time leading up to E3 - certainly is interesting, and has been noted in the Waluigi thread. Obviously, though, the odds are great for it having nothing to do with Smash, when it could also be related to so many other things.

Sage of Ice

Smash Ace
NNID
SageofIce
i'd love to see Tabuu or a Primid as part of the Pass! it'd be neat if they acknowledged Subspace Emissary on the roster, especially with Galleom's surprise return

man, Melee and Brawl did me so many favors with the roster. aside from Ridley, the only things i've gotten excited for in the last two games were returning characters...

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
Let's have some fun..

I'll start:
Crash Comes to Smash!
Porky Means Business!
Octoling Claims Their Turf!
Hat Kid Arrives in Time!
Madeline Scales the Mount! (alternatively, “Madeline Climbs to the Top!”)

Yes I know all of these are long shots leave me alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom